Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Playing through the Half=-Life 2 Episodes again with MMod was pretty fun - except for the end of Ep. 2, which will never stop being a pain in the rear end. The day Episode 3 releases will be the day the world ends.

I'm planning on playing Minerva: Metastasys, which I've never done before, next, also with MMod. Time to see if it lives up to the hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minerva:M rules.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bwuh? I think Ep 2 was the hightlight of the entire Half Life 2 trilogy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mordja posted:

Bwuh? I think Ep 2 was the hightlight of the entire Half Life 2 trilogy.

Yeah but leaving it on a massive cliffhanger blows, given they never got around to following up on it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Do the episodes add any guns? HL2's lackluster arsenal is the main reason I never went back to it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah but leaving it on a massive cliffhanger blows, given they never got around to following up on it.

Twin Peaks got a sequel 25 years later, I'm still holding on for the resolution of the Half-Life saga. Never say never I always say

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grimthwacker posted:

except for the end of Ep. 2, which will never stop being a pain in the rear end.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Always hated the finale.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Twin Peaks got a sequel 25 years later, I'm still holding on for the resolution of the Half-Life saga. Never say never I always say

Right but up until it got one it blew that they left us on a huge cliffhanger! How's Annie, Heavy Metal? How's Annie? HOW'S ANNIE?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Do the episodes add any guns? HL2's lackluster arsenal is the main reason I never went back to it.

That’s why people are mentioning playing with MMod, which makes the gunplay much snappier. I don’t believe it adds any dedicated new weapons though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

anilEhilated posted:

No. HL2 does add an enemy who is highly resistant to bullets but takes good damage from physics and its own delayed-explosion projectiles, so there is an interesting style of combat where you can shield yourself/bonk it to death with gravity gun clutter. Apart from that there’s a couple other new enemies…zombie that explodes, antlion that is a bullsquid in disguise…am I forgetting anything?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Takes No Damage posted:

e:
Quake Dwell serving up some FPS fanservice:
https://i.imgur.com/Md69oCW.mp4

Oh, god, that gun’s what the riot controller in Zerstorer should have been. Looks like I’ll be putting Dwell into rotation here very soon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

skasion posted:

No. HL2 does add an enemy who is highly resistant to bullets but takes good damage from physics and its own delayed-explosion projectiles, so there is an interesting style of combat where you can shield yourself/bonk it to death with gravity gun clutter. Apart from that there’s a couple other new enemies…zombie that explodes, antlion that is a bullsquid in disguise…am I forgetting anything?

Is the end of Ep 2 on a new vehicle or is it one that already existed? God it's been so long.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Not really. Episode 2 adds large sticky bombs you use the gravity gun to throw onto striders and shoot to blast 'em, but those aren't a "gun" per-se.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anilEhilated posted:

Other than the throwable bombs in the episode 2 finale, no

Fil5000 posted:

Does (HL: Alyx) retconning it out of existence with time travel fuckery count as following up on it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

haveblue posted:

Not unless you count the throwable bombs in the episode 2 finale

Does (HL: Alyx) retconning it out of existence with time travel fuckery count as following up on it?

Oh I don't have a headset so I had no idea it did that. That's actually fun.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Is the end of Ep 2 on a new vehicle or is it one that already existed? God it's been so long.

It’s THE LOUDEST CAR IN THE WORLD, same one you were driving earlier in the episode, not the same as the car with the gauss gun from the base game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arivia posted:

That’s why people are mentioning playing with MMod, which makes the gunplay much snappier. I don’t believe it adds any dedicated new weapons though.
MMod (I believe, optionally) does allow you to pull off the turreted pulse rifles and the car's gauss gun and take them with you, though ammo will be limited. I think the modder was going to make a followup version with more guns like the Gluon gun and other HL1 staples, but then he went and got his country invaded.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

MMod (I believe, optionally) does allow you to pull off the turreted pulse rifles and the car's gauss gun and take them with you, though ammo will be limited. I think the modder was going to make a followup version with more guns like the Gluon gun and other HL1 staples, but then he went and got his country invaded.

drat Russians trying to steal our half-life mods! We must overcome the janky fps mod capacity gap!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That mod to add the TF2 mercs to hl2 never was completed, was it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Cant move on without my buddy Pyro

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Summoning antlions would finally give the Gas Passer some functionality.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve seen the argument that Valve has killed off all their HL3 projects because they don’t push the envelope enough and I think that is kind of a dumb reason not to make a Good FPS Game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not really.

The original Lambda Fortress was abandoned by its dev and never got completed. As a result other people tried their hand at completing it as Lambda Fortress Extended. This became a buggy bloated mess and was abandoned in its turn. A group of Extended players then modified it into Lambda Fortress Community Edition, which then got renamed Fortress Connected. Why did they rename it? because yet another group is developing yet another attempt to fix the mod and called theirs, confusingly, Lambda Fortress.

As far as I know the most playable one currently is Fortress Connected but I use “most playable” very loosely. Using this mod, you can indeed load in TF2 guys in HL2. And load them you will, because every time you cross a loading zone, whatever unholy bastard version of Source they’re using needs to reload everything like it’s a map change in TF2.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Right but up until it got one it blew that they left us on a huge cliffhanger! How's Annie, Heavy Metal? How's Annie? HOW'S ANNIE?

Annie died on the way back to her home planet

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I really dig Minerva Metastasis' vibe and overall level design but the writing is loving atrocious. Mod author's attempt to emulate 90's Marathon Bungie rampant AI irreverence falls flat as gently caress. Every line is truly eye roll worthy. Did Adam Foster end up working on anything interesting after getting hired by Valve? I assume he did something on Alyx.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he’s scrubbing the toilets in the basement I hear 😔

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I completely forgot that you can catch Hunter flechettes with the Grav Gun. I just plow whatever heavy weaponry I have into them. Pulse Rifle secondary just deletes 'em no problem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally got around to playing the Ponterbee Station FM for System Shock 2 and it's pretty good! Much larger than I expected, too. Does a good job of feeling like More SS2 without just being a rehash of the base game. Voice acting is all over the place, as I expected, but Terri Brosius contributed the VA for SHODAN and, as usual, killed it.

I ended up ripping through it fairly quickly in a run-and-gun sort of mode; I played on Normal since it'd been nearly a decade since I played SS2, but perhaps that was a bit too easy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think part of my problem with ammo in wrath was the order i did the levels in. if you do the snowy graveyard first there's tons of ammo (altho frustratingly low cap so you have to constantly backtrack) but i did the weird sewer pipe garden place first and there was just fuckin nothing by way of ammo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I get the feeling a lot of Wrath's problems would have been solved if they just had you do the levels in order. Or just not bother with the dynamic difficulty stuff, worked for Amid Evil and Arcane Dimensions (which I did actually play "in order" anyways).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And just make shorter levels

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’ve seen the argument that Valve has killed off all their HL3 projects because they don’t push the envelope enough and I think that is kind of a dumb reason not to make a Good FPS Game

This sounds similar to the bullshit Nintendo trots out about there needing to be some sort of gameplay innovation before they bother with stuff like F-Zero or whatever.

Like.. hey, it's 2024 - just making a good arcade racing game feels loving innovative enough, thanks. See also "it might be cool to wrap up that story you started 25 years ago".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

I get the feeling a lot of Wrath's problems would have been solved if they just had you do the levels in order. Or just not bother with the dynamic difficulty stuff, worked for Amid Evil and Arcane Dimensions (which I did actually play "in order" anyways).

Agreed

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I don’t think my ability to choose the order of levels in Wrath lended anything to the experience, and I was shocked to learn that their difficulty was influenced by the order you played them in. It seems like such a stupid waste of time…a novelty that seemed like a farce when I first heard about it in Civvie’s video.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Tiny Timbs posted:

Agreed.

Did HL2: Episode 1 push the boundaries radically in terms of story-telling or gameplay innovations, compared to HL2? Nope! What about HL2: Episode 2? Nope! Did that dramatically affect the reception or sales of the Episodes? Nope. Why would the community suddenly lash out if Valve had released an Episode 3 a few years after Episode 2 as they originally planned? Hell, even a 2011/2012 release would have been fine if it wrapped things up story wise, even with the out-dated Source engine.

I could kind of understand the "don't make it if it's not a radical push forward" agreement if Valve had released an Episode 3 that properly ended the HL2 arc, and were now considering whether or not to make a HL3 in a new story/world in a fancy new engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

The HL3 discussed in the Final Hours of Alyx e-book, uhh, did not sound like a Good FPS Game. I don't really think procgen combat levels in-between handcrafted story bits in an ill-advised attempt to try and give a single player game a multiplayer game's level of replayability would have worked out well or gone down well.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Did Adam Foster end up working on anything interesting after getting hired by Valve? I assume he did something on Alyx.
I know he was heavily involved in the Portal 2 ARG to the point where the BBS was hosted out of his kitchen since the office didn't have dial-up capabilities, and the old Minerva devblog says he was involved with Alyx.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fil5000 posted:

Classic stuff. :frogc00l:

(Also, on Twin Peaks season 3/the return's ending it's still a cliffhanger oh yes!)

Watch them make Half-Life 3 end on a nuts cliffhanger.

And I know it sounds crazy to say I believe in Half-Life 3, but Valve could enter some new regime or era within the next 30 years or something.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 31, 2024

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Heavy Metal posted:

Classic stuff. :frogc00l:

(Also, on Twin Peaks season 3/the return's ending it's still a cliffhanger oh yes!

Watch them make Half-Life 3 end on a nuts cliffhanger

eh, I wouldn't say it's a cliffhanger. It's ambiguous, sure, but I wouldn't say it's suggesting To Be Continued or anything

(I really hope they continue it)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

eh, I wouldn't say it's a cliffhanger. It's ambiguous, sure, but I wouldn't say it's suggesting To Be Continued or anything

(I really hope they continue it)

I can dig what you mean, and not to get too meta, but! Is knowing you'll get a sequel required for an ending to be a cliffhanger? I don't think he knew the original Twin Peaks was going to get a sequel either at the time.

I'll say for me, this latest Twin Peaks ending feels like more of a cliffhanger than the first one. the original was like a slasher movie or Wes Craven ending almost, it kind of works as is. This one raises even more questions and is even more unsettling I think. which is rad.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

Is knowing you'll get a sequel required for an ending to be a cliffhanger? I don't think he knew the original Twin Peaks was going to get a sequel either at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXu-FRPrO8