Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I think having a decently long video to nod off to is harmless enough. Eventually it ends and you're out cold in complete silence at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I think having a decently long video to nod off to is harmless enough. Eventually it ends and you're out cold in complete silence at that point.
the issue is that with quintons videos if you fall asleep an hour in at midnight and wake up at 6 for work the video still has two hours left on it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

I think if someone's listening to actual white noise, or calm instrumentals or ambient dronescape or something I could see that being helpful (I have a fan perpetually going in my bedroom both for temperature regulation and because the white noise helps drown out any ambient distractions when I try to sleep), but I can't fathom how listening to conversations would be helpful. Drawfee in particular sounds like a terrible idea for something to fall asleep to as they can get pretty rowdy on there...
also yea theres a difference between very mild background noise and like, actual talking your brain is gonna try and make sense of even subconsciously

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what's more "white noise" than "pod casts" :grin:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghostlight posted:

what's more "white noise" than "pod casts" :grin:

You're posts

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

You're posts

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-JHr7PxOng

important quinton news

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Endorph posted:

also yea theres a difference between very mild background noise and like, actual talking your brain is gonna try and make sense of even subconsciously
that sounds about as fake to me as people thinking that playing mozart to their babies while they sleep will make them smarter

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao you finally post an embedded youtube video and it's disabled by the owner

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ha. I basically have an entirely random playlist of vids going whenever I try to sleep...probably not a good idea but that's kind of been the way for years.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

that sounds about as fake to me as people thinking that playing mozart to their babies while they sleep will make them smarter

persistent exposure to music during infancy does apparently help with pitch development but i don't think that's exactly the same thing

regardless i can't stand anything with human voice as background noise, my ears keep trying to pick out exactly what's being said and it drives me batshit. tv's at low volume or through walls make it near-impossible to sleep

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

lmao you finally post an embedded youtube video and it's disabled by the owner

I’ve posted a lot of embedded videos since the last time you yelled at me about it, thank you very much :mad:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just because something is habit doesn't mean it's something you need to continue and do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it is

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Just because something is habit doesn't mean it's something you need to continue and do.

no

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A lot of you don't live in a loud city and it shows

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I live in a city that has discovered ear plugs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i live in a universe where i have bad tinnitus from being in marching band in high school

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I listen to scores from the alien films and the thought of xenomorphs lull me to sleep 😌

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I tried watching the Quinton Dan Schneider video and the only thing I got out of it was that Kenan's boss was also in Head of the Class.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaius Marius posted:

I fall asleep instantly by getting a text to speech app to read your posts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve had nightmares about xenomorphs and every time it’s like seeing an old friend. I love it

Once as a kid I dreamt I came out of my room and saw a pet queen alien in my living room

Glorious. They should make a movie about that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve had nightmares about xenomorphs and every time it’s like seeing an old friend. I love it

Once as a kid I dreamt I came out of my room and saw a pet queen alien in my living room

Glorious. They should make a movie about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7RPvOOjCvE

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3v-7Rndd8M

NCG getting Diabolical for four hours has got my undivided attention.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone please make it illegal for Noah Gervais to post videos after midnight and before 8 am.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Max Wilco posted:

I remember a couple video creators who said that their videos (ones that are 2+ hours and longer) are produced/edited with the intent that you have it up on a second monitor to just listen to or glance over at whenever necessary.

Hell, before YouTube was a thing, I'd have the TV on in the background while working on something on the computer, and I'm sure other people did that as well.

Whenever Adam Savage promotes his youtube patreon he always mentions that members get access to longform unedited videos of him making stuff in his 'cave' which he promises are "weirdly meditative"

There's also some youtube crafters who post "stitch & bitch" livestreams so viewers can play along at home and work on their own projects simultaneously

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arbite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3v-7Rndd8M

NCG getting Diabolical for four hours has got my undivided attention.

drat I was not expecting an Noah drop at this time of night

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Falling asleep to lovely background noise garbage is a time honored tradition and like 90% of why infomercials actually exist, to catch you off guard when you fall asleep to the 11 o' clock news.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I used to fall asleep with Radio 4 on, which used to alarm me when it switched to the BBC World Service and this loving thing would play at 2am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGn1W6WP0Ys

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fun hater posted:

lmfao youre right! looking into it theres like, no good evidence that it works and lots of evidence that forcing your brain to process noise all night really messes with it. makes sense

man, our ancestors must have been pretty messed up then, did you know there's constant noise outside, even in the dark?

every Saturday I get to wake up to loud bird noises, and when I open the window, some squirrels just hunker down on a nearby tree and start crunching nuts at astonishingly high volume levels

Joking aside, letting your TV/PC run all night is pure madness, no-one does this (except on accident, I guess). My TV is set to power down after 2 hours, so whatever I put on YouTube last before sleeping will eventually be dealt with.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

While I'd keep my computer on to run work stuff on the background while I slept (Until I finally got a SSD update which made powering up and down easier and finally got a cloud solution to do that for me), listening to people while sleeping wasn't something I'd do. Part of that involves that I had to be ready to sprint out and help someone with complications during the night, so having something to distract me would be a very bad idea. At most I would just catch with a twitch stream if I had woken up from an anxiety dream or a bad brain episode.

I do have stuff for both background noise for work\art and for actual attention. The earlier are said streams other than Retropals since a bunch did admit that they would also use it as background noise for office work (and this specific case is more inspired by a Tv Variety show with stuff to showcase rather than "I'ma gonna do something for x hours") or people with a consistent schedule. Stuff I actually watch and keep it as my main activity are stuff like Jeremy Parish\Kimble Justice OR people with not as consistent upload schedules. For those I'm like "Oh crap, I better reserve this for a Sunday afternoon or a long train or bus commute."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need sounds to drown out my brain

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
listening to the smooth voice of lance henrickson and falling into a slumber

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to watch aliens, AvP and Pumpkinhead a lot as a kid to fall asleep to so I get it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speak of the devil himself Quinton uploaded a new video about those weird live action fairly odd parents movies. I might check it out but good golly it’s 2 hours long. I know there’s multiple movies but c’Mon lol

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I used to fall asleep with Radio 4 on, which used to alarm me when it switched to the BBC World Service and this loving thing would play at 2am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGn1W6WP0Ys

I also used to listen to Radio 4 when I was an insomnia riddled youngster, but it was if I was still awake when 'Sailing By' came on that really used to gently caress me up. That tune is still a bit nightmare zone for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
asking dongicus about his liked channels got me thinking, what channels do folks in here follow that are relatively small or unknown? let's say 10k-ish subs or less, that sort of ballpark.

one of mine is called Chips 'n Cellos, which takes other music and turns them into Megaman stage music, usually complete with a cute little rendition of the musician as a Megaman Robot Master as the video image. I like their renditions of classical music the best. They're very good at getting things to fit the "feel" of being an NES Megaman stage theme.

some examples of theirs, like their most popular video, Moonlight Sonata, 3rd Movement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zECnS3vBBI

Moskau
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39rrHdUuXdE

Orpheus in the Underworld Overture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXfdakosyc

Radia posted:

iirc there's studies suggesting needing sound to fall asleep is indicative of long term sleep deprivation
having a steady, quiet FSSSSSSHHHHHHHH white noise sound absolutely has been beneficial for me rather than detrimental. I have a feeling it depends on the person, like I am very easily awoken by slight noise(one good example is my hamster drinking from her water bottle, or someone hitting a pothole as they drive down my street), but with a constant sound, it does a good job of keeping that from waking me out of nowhere.

honestly the biggest change to my sleeping style was using a body pillow. to say it has dramatically improved the quality of my sleep and how I feel after waking is an understatement, I use two old sleeping bags turned inside out and one inside the other as a body pillow, and it keeps my arms and legs at a level position while sleeping on my side, as well as preventing my knees and ankles from knocking in my sleep, which has made my joints MUCH less achy when I wake up. I highly recommend at least trying it out to anyone.

Gaius Marius posted:

I live in a city that has discovered ear plugs
I used to use earplugs to sleep but will never use them again after one exceptionally traumatic experience

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Speak of the devil himself Quinton uploaded a new video about those weird live action fairly odd parents movies. I might check it out but good golly it’s 2 hours long. I know there’s multiple movies but c’Mon lol

It's a remake of an old video he made with the joke that it's still 2016, riffing a bit on the current state of affairs afterwards.

I wonder if he based a bit on how the last Icarly video ended + how this one started on Phelous's Jacob Ladder video. Super serious ending, goofy start on the same set.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

RareAcumen posted:

Bad games don't just fade away anymore I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dBtwH5S2AI

I honestly thought the opening of this video was a joke because I have never heard anyone say anything about the first Watch_Dogs other than that it is completely mediocre and Aiden Pierce is one of the worst protagonists in the history of video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Boylei Hobby Time has taken a leaf out of Bobby Fingers' book and has started hiding dioramas out in the wilderness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llSQPYi5o44