Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oneiros posted:

looking for free company 18+ rp women only only lalafell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently 'thanalan' also gets censored. i dont know why

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
anal

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

apparently 'thanalan' also gets censored. i dont know why

Th-anal-an.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Spent a happy evening having another go at setting up controller hotbars (on my PC this time which makes it somewhat easier). It's really hard to find a setup that works nicely! Especially for a lvl90 class.

Amusingly on investigation I've found out that the difference between "controller mode" and "mouse mode" is... nearly precisely nothing? I think it's just the fact that the former displays control guides in menus? Everything else can be reconfigured, even the different menu formats.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It is truly so funny that any text you type in XIV has to go through Xbox's chat filtering, that sucks in an amazing way

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

lines posted:

Spent a happy evening having another go at setting up controller hotbars (on my PC this time which makes it somewhat easier). It's really hard to find a setup that works nicely! Especially for a lvl90 class.
Do you have the WXHB set up correctly, so it goes to one hotbar when you doubletap the button (which then immediately returns to the normal hotbar once you press a button) and another button when you hold one shoulder button then the other? Because that's key, I've found - that doubletap bar's where all your oGCD buttons go.

Here's some screenshots of a couple of my hotbars (RPR, WAR, NIN in order) so you understand how I generally set things up:

As you can see, for both RPR and WAR I've got my singletarget buttons all on the R trigger and my AoE stuff on my L trigger. With NIN, however, the L trigger is dedicated to mudras with the AoE buttons being moved to the double hold bar. This helps minimize switching between hotbars - generally in a given fight I can just hold down one trigger for the entire encounter and be completely fine.

I've got GCD attacks all on the default face buttons, with utility skills like mitigation or buffs typically on the D-Pad. oGCD skills are on the doubletap bar so I immediately return to my GCD buttons after I hit them.

Relatively rarely used buttons, like alternate GCD combo buttons (Storm's Eye on WAR and Armor Crush on NIN) are on the "hold both buttons" hotbars. This is also where I put burst mode skills like meter spenders or the entire Reaper Avatar rotation.

I run out of face buttons on RPR so had to resort to putting Gluttony and Communio on the D-Pad for RPR.

But yeah, the general template for my controller hotbars is GCD combo on face buttons, other GCD buttons on R+L, oGCD on RR and utility on the d-pad.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 31, 2024

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ojjeorago posted:

Remove [...] PVP [...]

:twisted:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Do you have the WXHB set up correctly, so it goes to one hotbar when you doubletap the button (which then immediately returns to the normal hotbar once you press a button) and another button when you hold one shoulder button then the other? Because that's key, I've found - that doubletap bar's where all your oGCD buttons go.

Here's some screenshots of a couple of my hotbars (RPR, WAR, NIN in order) so you understand how I generally set things up:

As you can see, for both RPR and WAR I've got my singletarget buttons all on the R trigger and my AoE stuff on my L trigger. With NIN, however, the L trigger is dedicated to mudras with the AoE buttons being moved to the double hold bar. This helps minimize switching between hotbars - generally in a given fight I can just hold down one trigger for the entire encounter and be completely fine.

I've got GCD attacks all on the default face buttons, with utility skills like mitigation or buffs typically on the D-Pad. oGCD skills are on the doubletap bar so I immediately return to my GCD buttons after I hit them.

Relatively rarely used buttons, like alternate GCD combo buttons (Storm's Eye on WAR and Armor Crush on NIN) are on the "hold both buttons" hotbars. This is also where I put burst mode skills like meter spenders or the entire Reaper Avatar rotation.

I run out of face buttons on RPR so had to resort to putting Gluttony and Communio on the D-Pad for RPR.

But yeah, the general template for my controller hotbars is GCD combo on face buttons, other GCD buttons on R+L, oGCD on RR and utility on the d-pad.

Thanks for this - I do have it set up right, with the extended bar as well: it's just that finding a setup that feels intuitive and comfortable is a real pain. Thanks for your examples.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

Th-anal-an.

Is that why thats the place where all the erp people hang out in balmung?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

lines posted:

Thanks for this - I do have it set up right, with the extended bar as well: it's just that finding a setup that feels intuitive and comfortable is a real pain. Thanks for your examples.
Tell me how it works out for you.

Oh, incindentally, I'd suggest changing your controls so that your left thumbstick button is macro #98 and your right is macro #99, then set macro #98 to be "/ac sprint" and #99 to be "/f <t>". This means that you'll sprint when you click in the left thumbstick - like how it is in many other games - and you'll focus target whoever you're targeting when you click the right.

The former should be done regardless since it makes the controls so much better, and the latter should be done if you intend to heal ever so you can focus target the tank then make macros for all your singletarget heals that target <f> so you'll only need to push the button to heal them instead of needing to manually target your every heal.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Th-anal-an.

Right in the Butte.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
the Xbox ERP scene is in shambles

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://x.com/blamite/status/1774225450442588420?s=20

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

phil spencer saw what was going on in the balmung quicksand and said not on his christian gaming console!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:lmao:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That's embarassing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

what are the chances typing "knight" gets you a two week holiday

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
shut it down

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This brings back memories because FF11's filter taught me a couple of slurs I hadn't known at the time with the same problem.

First Lyon, third Menenius. Now I just have Bozja Lyon to do either through CLL or the duel.

And I got enough clusters for this. It was a good day.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Speaking of Bozja, I unlocked and started it in October 2021 and did Dalriada and finished the story tonight. That might have been the worst story with the worst characters in the entire game.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

FuturePastNow posted:

Speaking of Bozja, I unlocked and started it in October 2021 and did Dalriada and finished the story tonight. That might have been the worst story with the worst characters in the entire game.
It's so loving bad, holy poo poo. Doubly so because there's genuinely interesting poo poo going on in the background with the FATE stuff.

Misija is the worst war criminal in the entire loving game! You can't expect me to feel sorry for the most evil person who'd ever be on screen, Matsuno! And god, the way they just dangle the carrot of being able to kill her yourself in front of you then just rip it away is infuriating. But oh, if you let the other guy do it he just stabs her. gently caress you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There is a lot I like about Bozja's story. How it all came together is not one. It's like someone took a bunch of ingredients I love and made a meal I hate out of them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GilliamYaeger posted:

Misija is the worst war criminal in the entire loving game! You can't expect me to feel sorry for the most evil person who'd ever be on screen, Matsuno!

She's not even like....a tenth of a nero calm down. What's her body count? 10 assholes loyal to the old caste system? I'm not gonna give a poo poo about that.

Genuinely, did I miss a cutscene where she did 4 9/11s or something?

We actively befriend Robots Whom Did Genocides and multiple 20k Year old Wizards who've killed worlds and created multiple genocidal empires. You're being weird.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 31, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

She's not even like....a tenth of a nero calm down. What's her body count? 10 assholes loyal to the old caste system? I'm not gonna give a poo poo about that.

Genuinely, did I miss a cutscene where she did 4 9/11s or something?

We actively befriend Robots Whom Did Genocides and The 20k Year old Wizard who's killed worlds and created multiple genocidal empires. You're being weird.
Nero built a big robot, big whoop.

Misija stripped the free will from a whole bunch of people - not just those 10 assholes but way more in-between quests, and you even fight a bunch of them - and then mutiliated and twisted their bodies, ensuring that even after the Tempering cure was discovered there was no way back for those poor bastards. In my books this is the worst on-screen warcrime committed in the story. Admittedly if Varis got his way the mass usage of Black Rose would have exceeded this, but with just what we've seen on-screen Misija wins.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like the concept of the "nero" as the standard unit of FFXIV War Crimes

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Misija stripped the free will from a whole bunch of people - not just those 10 assholes but way more in-between quests, and you even fight a bunch of them - and then mutiliated and twisted their bodies, ensuring that even after the Tempering cure was discovered there was no way back for those poor bastards. In my books this is the worst on-screen warcrime committed in the story.

Nero invented a lot of war machines that were used to kill and subjugate people around the world crowning this career off with The Robot Who Nukes Everything.

And then there's again, the ancient omnicidal wizard crew we're best buddies with by the end.

You're being dumb about it if this is the worst person lol.

Like we see that poo poo constantly too. There's a whole dungeon in ARR where we see that happening to pirates and it's treated as a joke. "Look at these gently caress ups. Anyway..."

I'm not gonna scale her up that high for killing a bunch of people I barely know or see on screen who even their commander who I do like says "Yeah know a lot of the crew are former knights and talk way too much about how good it was in The Good Ol Days of the caste system" compared to a lot of other antagonists the game is as sympathetic to as her.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Like we see that poo poo constantly too. There's a whole dungeon in ARR where we see that happening to pirates and it's treated as a joke. "Look at these gently caress ups. Anyway..."

In all fairness, the implication there (although I'm not sure this is ever really discussed except in the Sahagin tribal quests, which is maybe a little dumb) is that Madison and his crew, and quite possibly everyone identified specifically as a Serpent Reaver, deliberately offered themselves to Leviathan in exchange for the Sahagin giving them free reign to operate as slavers and otherwise flout the new Limsa piracy laws; the Sastasha Crew loving up and getting punished is something they brought on themselves (and, I suppose, the WoL brought upon them by kicking their asses, but they weren't innocent victims here). Leviathan also forcibly tempers captives, but the Reavers seem to have done it themselves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If you're gonna call out the game for being too nice to a war criminal and draw the line at the lady mad about the history of abusing the underclass in a country she's fighting to reform free being ignored who's ultimately killed for it and have no issues with the evil imperial scientist who loves making Eyeball Metler Robots for the ripe motivation of "Daddy liked My Boyfriend More" I just think you might be being weird.

Especially when Dr. Soldier Harvester's punishment is getting gooped up once then getting to saunter around annoying his ex husband and that's it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 31, 2024

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

In all fairness, the implication there (although I'm not sure this is ever really discussed except in the Sahagin tribal quests, which is maybe a little dumb) is that Madison and his crew, and quite possibly everyone identified specifically as a Serpent Reaver, deliberately offered themselves to Leviathan in exchange for the Sahagin giving them free reign to operate as slavers and otherwise flout the new Limsa piracy laws; the Sastasha Crew loving up and getting punished is something they brought on themselves (and, I suppose, the WoL brought upon them by kicking their asses, but they weren't innocent victims here). Leviathan also forcibly tempers captives, but the Reavers seem to have done it themselves.

Yeah but, much like your fights with the Captain in Satasha normal, most of his scenes in Hard Satasha are treated as a joke as well.

And it's far from the only time we see people turning or being turned that we then immedietly deal with similarly. To call her out specifically is...strange. Especially when tryign to frame it as so uniquely bad she is to be considered the Worst Person ever on screen in this game filled with literal devils who eat gods and kill millions.

And more personally, getting this upset over these specific victims seems extra out there.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

If you're gonna call out the game for being too nice to a war criminal and draw the line at the lady mad about the history of abusing the underclass in a country she's fighting to reform free being ignored who's ultimately killed for it and have no issues with the evil imperial scientist who loves making Eyeball Metler Robots for the ripe motivation of "Daddy liked My Boyfriend More" I just think you might be being weird.

Especially when Dr. Soldier Harvester's punishment is getting gooped up once then getting to saunter around annoying his ex husband and that's it.

You're not wrong but you are being way weirder about this than they are about Misija.

Also the bojza story isn't as bad as the zodiac braves but small coincidence Matsuno was involved with both.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think Misija is the worst war criminal we see but she might be one of the dumbest.

The Save the Queen story also just fundamentally has too much talking in it. The characters all read 20 pages of dialogue at each other, then send you to place a device on the edge of the map, come back and read 10 more pages of dialogue. It's. So. Boring. Maybe it's because it took me over two years to get through the story, but I have no idea where all the weird imperials who don't look or act like any other imperials came from. Can you imagine ARR Gaius and Nero giving their serious villain monologues while standing next to a greasy shirtless guy?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah but, much like your fights with the Captain in Satasha normal, most of his scenes in Hard Satasha are treated as a joke as well.

Oh, yeah, the Sastasha Hard writing is problems. I know there's no really good reason to do a rewrite of that ancient optional content, but it would be nice if it were rewritten to be more serious or at least darker, in light of the eventual tone the game takes with tempering discussion. (It'd also be nice if they rewrote some of the ickier bits of Sastasha Normal, but not holdin' my breath there.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They had their chance when they put Sastasha up for duty support and they decided not to. I don't know if it was a time issue or what but they didn't take the opportunity to rework the dungeon when they did the others.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bruceski posted:

This brings back memories because FF11's filter taught me a couple of slurs I hadn't known at the time with the same problem.

First Lyon, third Menenius. Now I just have Bozja Lyon to do either through CLL or the duel.

And I got enough clusters for this. It was a good day.

Windcaller and a Bindi? Good taste. I kinda wish my bindi wasn't completely covered by the bandana.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Nero didn't even actually create the Ultima Weapon. It was found in some Gyr Abanian ruins, he led the effort to get it back up and running, and that was only successful after Lahabrea gave the Garleans the Heart of Sabik.
Unless you meant the G Savior Mk II.
I think the biggest war crime we see him personally carry out in the story is executing a spy without a trial.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Nero invented a lot of war machines that were used to kill and subjugate people around the world crowning this career off with The Robot Who Nukes Everything.
I'm pretty sure "designed and built combat vehicles and drones" isn't a warcrime. Would you call a guy who designed tanks during WW2 a war criminal? The guy who worked on cannons for use by the French in the Napoleonic Wars? Probably not. Awakening Omega to use against a Primal isn't a warcrime either, though Omega is very much capable of it (and threatened to do it once it left Nero's control) Nero didn't use it for that purpose.

If he used any of those against civilians it'd be a different story, but we didn't see that happen on-screen and considering he was working under Gaius I doubt he'd be allowed to do anything to civilians. Gaius has many, many flaws and has done many, many terrible things, but I don't think slaughtering civilians is one of them. Too proud, too assured of the rightness of his goal, and he tried to stop the Meteor Project, which very much was a warcrime.

Buuuut that happened before ARR, so I'm not counting it. This is explicitly things that happened on-screen during post-reboot FF14.

quote:

And then there's again, the ancient omnicidal wizard crew we're best buddies with by the end.
You mean the ancient omnicidal wizards we killed with our own hands and only got along with after they were literally dead?

quote:

You're being dumb about it if this is the worst person lol.

I'm not gonna scale her up that high for killing a bunch of people I barely know or see on screen who even their commander who I do like says "Yeah know a lot of the crew are former knights and talk way too much about how good it was in The Good Ol Days of the caste system" compared to a lot of other antagonists the game is as sympathetic to as her.
I just put that poo poo really high up on the atrocity list. Doesn't matter who it's done to, it's still super hosed up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The main distinction is that Misija betrayed, enslaved, mutilated, and murdered people who were supposedly her comrades in arms, as opposed to strangers or enemies, which is the really dirty bit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bozja is, so far as I know, the only time we see Garlean lalafell.

We should've seen more Garlean lalafell, one should've been part of Gaius's squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Rand Brittain posted:

The main distinction is that Misija betrayed, enslaved, mutilated, and murdered people who were supposedly her comrades in arms, as opposed to strangers or enemies, which is the really dirty bit.

Yeah, that.

I think Misija gets more of a visceral response because of how much her crimes rely on abusing the trust and goodwill of others. Hell, she jacks Mikoto's Echo in a process highly implied to be very, very spiritually invasive and possibly having a significant cost in lives. She even corrupts and gaslights her own beloved ancestor.

Misija's circumstances are tragic, but she is just... an extremely vicious, spiteful, venal person. She cultivates trust and friendship only to exploit it later and then gloats about how stupid and deserving her marks were, then leads her victims to - under Tempering - horrifically mutilate themselves in service to her Primal. Her only real gesture of actual virtue is sacrificing herself for innocent Bozjans.