Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I love First Contact, it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TuxedoOrca posted:

Isn't the spore drive like some super complicated drive that requires a person to be connected to the ship? Feels like something that would always be stuck at the prototype stage.

You can also hook it up to a bug and shock it

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

roomtone posted:

i dunno if i'd call the first contact theme being played for sweden raising the flag at nato an interesting development

or even interesting

or a development

it's really just a thing that happened cos somebody is a nerd and stupid.

"Hi everyone. Just dropping into the thread to tell you I hate fun. That is all. You may resume your day."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

roomtone posted:

i dunno if i'd call the first contact theme being played for sweden raising the flag at nato an interesting development

or even interesting

or a development

it's really just a thing that happened cos somebody is a nerd and stupid.

"Borg? Sounds Swedish."

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kesper North posted:

"Borg? Sounds Swedish."

:discourse:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

yeah, take THAT Trek Central Twitter Account!!!

exactly, gravitas, exactly

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Accipiter posted:

"Hi everyone. Just dropping into the thread to tell you I hate fun. That is all. You may resume your day."

hi, eat a poo poo.

it's on me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

roomtone posted:

hi, eat a poo poo.

it's on me.

Why do you have poo poo on you?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

well friend, i just picked up poo poo and

uh look i said this isn't a good piece of sh-

look i don't know!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

how about this

it's 2002 and i'm cool as hell. wooo. CGI. oval office. now i'm the guy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also i love you i'm so sorry angel

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why don't you? :smug:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

sorry i thought this was 1990's star trek video game development chat

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i legit forgot where i was

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
nice meltdown

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Boxturret posted:

nice meltdown

silence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

roomtone posted:

i legit forgot where i was

This is the Star Wars thread.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

This is the Star Wars thread.

no, no it really isn't.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

roomtone posted:

sorry i thought this was 1990's star trek video game development chat

are you one of the bridge commander mod developers i outraged with my "picard was the worst of the new series, actually" takes in discord

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

no, not really

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

Why don't you? :smug:

I'm not on trial here!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm not on trial here!

That's what we WANTED you to think!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I love the runabout dev patch. Just "hell yeah we're building a little space truck and it's gonna do everything!"

I bet there's so many runabouts all over the Federation

You could steal one and no-one would ever know

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i have a runabout

i've had it for 20 years

two versions of james cromwell as in it. they're really cramped, too, cos it's only 8 feet wide and well, you know cromwells

still dunno what i'm gonna do with em. sell them i guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should've given the runabout an airlock on the back and had extended runabouts with a trailer as well.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

impressive posting streak, wasn’t even probed for this meltdown

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Did their username change in the middle? I'm a bit out of sorts

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished first season of Prodigy.

Ok. That was a pretty good season finale. Random thoughts:
1. Now they got Indiana Jones in my Star Trek.
2. As cheesy as it was, I did enjoy Nega-Holo-Janeway.
3. Oh poo poo, actual Janeway!
4. Murph being indestructible enough to devour a protostar and not get instantly vaporized has a whole host of weird implications. >_>
5. I'm guessing the video fragment we see of Robo-douche attacking the Protostar bridge was the initial attack after he and the Diviner are sent back in time.
6. Am I interpreting this right that First Contact caused a civil war on his planet and they nuke themselves over it? Because I swear I heard him say something about a mirror universe civil war????

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume you mean the first half of the first season, judging by what you said. Season 1 is 20 episodes, although it's split into two arcs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MikeJF posted:

I assume you mean the first half of the first season, judging by what you said. Season 1 is 20 episodes, although it's split into two arcs.

Oh. Yeah. Eps 10.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

4. Murph being indestructible enough to devour a protostar and not get instantly vaporized has a whole host of weird implications. >_>

He devoured the core, but it wasn't generating a protostar at the time. The protocore uses an exotic form of dilithium to help to generate a miniature facsimile protostar inside the giant blue sphere that lights up when they jump (the gravitational protostar containment unit). They draw power from it and then let it collapse and when it does, a collapsing protostar generates a momentary wormhole (this was actually a one-off line in Voyager when they were speculating about superdrive ideas) and they slam through the wormhole in the fraction of a second it exists.

AlternateNu posted:

6. Am I interpreting this right that First Contact caused a civil war on his planet and they nuke themselves over it? Because I swear I heard him say something about a mirror universe civil war????

Yeah, they nuke themselves in a civil war but at this point that might be an alternate future because they went back far enough that First Contact with Solum hasn't even happened yet.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 30, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It amuses me that a significant chunk of the backstory in Prodigy is the plot of the third Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy novel (and originally a pitch for a Doctor Who movie)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TuxedoOrca posted:

Isn't the spore drive like some super complicated drive that requires a person to be connected to the ship? Feels like something that would always be stuck at the prototype stage.

They just need to find a species that is innately able to connect, like the tardigrades, but that is also able to consent to becoming a navigator. I bet Morn could do it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

They just need to find a species that is innately able to connect, like the tardigrades, but that is also able to consent to becoming a navigator. I bet Morn could do it.

They figured it out in Discovery, the Kwejians could do it, they had a mass-producible Spore Drive Mk 2 you could just drop into any ship and a Kwejian could drive it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

They figured it out in Discovery, the Kwejians could do it, they had a mass-producible Spore Drive Mk 2 you could just drop into any ship and a Kwejian could drive it.

The Kwejians are all but extinct after their planet blew up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Someone get on to the Jim Henson studio and bring Pilot out of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Any strongly empathic species may be able to pilot a mk 2. Not as easily as a Kwellian, mind, but a Betazed for example may be able to