Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Griz posted:

I finally unlocked the scorcher and then killed myself with it 5 times in a difficulty 4 bot mission

Democracy :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Griz posted:

I finally unlocked the scorcher and then killed myself with it 5 times in a difficulty 4 bot mission

The other day when the daily was personnel mines I decided to knock it out in a solo difficulty 1 game. I ran out of reinforcements during extraction after being cornered by 3 flame tornadoes, and literally didn't die to bugs once during the mission, just blowing myself up on mines I had forgotten about.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ouroboros posted:

Just had a peek at the 'community' and lol lmao. People equal parts confused and angry about why more people aren't playing on the map with 2 separate low visibility modifiers and one less stratagem slot against the far less popular enemy faction. People honestly thinking that not completing the major order will mean the devs will 'punish the playerbase' by delaying content drops. And that's just the reddit, took one quick peek in the official discord and they appear to be coordinating a plan to join bug lobbies in order to teamkill people.
-1 stratagem slot isn't a planet specific modifier. It's an operation modifier that can show up on any bot operation(set of missions).

ex: here's a 7 difficulty operation that has -1 stratagem slots on marvelon creek

and here's a different 7 difficult operation also on marvelon creek, that instead has +100% stratagem callin time

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ouroboros posted:

Just had a peek at the 'community' and lol lmao. People equal parts confused and angry about why more people aren't playing on the map with 2 separate low visibility modifiers and one less stratagem slot against the far less popular enemy faction. People honestly thinking that not completing the major order will mean the devs will 'punish the playerbase' by delaying content drops. And that's just the reddit, took one quick peek in the official discord and they appear to be coordinating a plan to join bug lobbies in order to teamkill people.

Reddit gonna reddit.

The vast majority of people who play this game (or any game) log on, mash quickplay, and zone out for as long as they can until reality forces them back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The vast majority of people on reddit and discord are not taking this stuff seriously, they're just using it as an excuse to post mediocre memes

and make jokes about endlessly fighting in mavelon creek aka space vietnam for no reason

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It feels like there's a bit of actually annoyance at Creekers if only because like half the bot front is there, and I think people are getting tired of creek memes.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

-1 stratagem slot isn't a planet specific modifier. It's an operation modifier that can show up on any bot operation(set of missions).

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Btw does anyone have any idea what you're supposed to do on the eradicate missions? Every time I complete them it's by pure cheese, either running in circles around the map or hiding prone on inaccessible highground waiting for cooldowns to come back. The difficulty seems completely out of whack, half the time we are completely overrun before we can even get set up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They are overtuned ever since they doubled the spawns. On 7 it's like, borderline-up on 9 they're way over the top.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Got to use quasar for the first time and it eats. Glad they actually implemented a useful anti armor device to go with EATs. Didnt feel the cooldown pain much at all, was no different than the delay in readying an EAT or reloading a RR.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gorelab posted:

and I think people are getting tired of creek memes.

i've been tired for a month

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can't call a planet a creek. I mean, you can, and they did, but you can't really do that, you know?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Reiley posted:

You can't call a planet a creek. I mean, you can, and they did, but you can't really do that, you know?

All planets only have one biome, except for Earth. That's what makes it Super.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ouroboros posted:

Btw does anyone have any idea what you're supposed to do on the eradicate missions? Every time I complete them it's by pure cheese, either running in circles around the map or hiding prone on inaccessible highground waiting for cooldowns to come back. The difficulty seems completely out of whack, half the time we are completely overrun before we can even get set up.
Eradicates are balanced around having four players. Most of the game is, really, but with most other missions you can just leave bad engagements. In eradicate you're trapped in a tiny shoebox and if you don't have enough firepower you just get overwhelmed. It's kinda dumb but that's how it is.

If you're still having trouble while dropping with four people that's a team issue and probably means you should lower the difficulty.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Arc thrower + scorcher is quickly becoming my go-to vs bots. Anything smaller than a tank or hulk gets shredded and those two do too if you get behind them. At first I didn稚 like arc thrower vs. bots but once you get a hang for the aim point (it痴 a bit higher than it is vs bugs) you池e as brutally effective as you are against bugs. I like to run it with EMS mortar + personal shield + 500kg and stuns. You can 500kg the stuff you can稚 easily kill with the arc/scorcher, EMS mortar just makes it easier to farm incoming waves with the arc thrower, and personal shield just feels like a must-have vs. bots on higher difficulties. Stuns make it real easy to 500kg hulks and pair real well with arc thrower since you can probably kill anything stuck in the stun well before it wears off.

Arc thrower does everything that the machine guns should do, but better. It痴 a head scratcher why the MGs feel almost punitive in how they are designed with respects to recoil and mag size/counts, but then you have the arc thrower that has infinite ammo, zero recoil, decent range, can pretty easily deal with medium armor, and you barely need to aim the thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Does the arc thrower still crash the game lol

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Does the arc thrower still crash the game lol

No, it it got fixed with the most recent patch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Things that are good in bot eradication: Both mortar turrets, eagle strikes, EATs. Grenade armor + space optimization so you respawn with 6 impact grenades.

Things that aren't good: Most support weapons, since you'll lose them and won't be able to summon new ones until the mission is over.

Throw down all your turrets at the top of the hill and hold out until you get overwhelmed, then respawn outside of the base and annihilate the enormous pile of bots now inside it with air strikes and grenades.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ouroboros posted:

just bring lots of turrets, ems mortars, rocket turret, regular mortar and shield against bots, shield and arc thrower against bugs

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the patch was literally only "arc type weapons no longer crash the game"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

causticBeet posted:

Arc thrower + scorcher is quickly becoming my go-to vs bots. Anything smaller than a tank or hulk gets shredded and those two do too if you get behind them. At first I didn稚 like arc thrower vs. bots but once you get a hang for the aim point (it痴 a bit higher than it is vs bugs) you池e as brutally effective as you are against bugs. I like to run it with EMS mortar + personal shield + 500kg and stuns. You can 500kg the stuff you can稚 easily kill with the arc/scorcher, EMS mortar just makes it easier to farm incoming waves with the arc thrower, and personal shield just feels like a must-have vs. bots on higher difficulties. Stuns make it real easy to 500kg hulks and pair real well with arc thrower since you can probably kill anything stuck in the stun well before it wears off.

Arc thrower does everything that the machine guns should do, but better. It痴 a head scratcher why the MGs feel almost punitive in how they are designed with respects to recoil and mag size/counts, but then you have the arc thrower that has infinite ammo, zero recoil, decent range, can pretty easily deal with medium armor, and you barely need to aim the thing.

While it is true machineguns seem a bit undertuned, you are being rewarded for bringing extra equipment and consumables to ensure you can survive using your arc thrower. While something like the AMR can be killing Devastators with no prep work as soon as you can see them, even if it has an uphill climb to keep topped up with regular use on anything but troopers and walkers the scorcher kills in 1 second each when hitting them.

Even if I do love me some EMS mortar. Too many ion storms have just been reinforcing my bias for basic grenades so I can be sure to pop factories by default.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Prepped a cluster bomb while a teammate was calling in the evac and got on top of some crates to get good sight lines for the surrounding area. Another teammate jumps up next to me, punches me, and all of a sudden I'm ragdolling 30 feet away while he's diving for cover. Guess melee makes you drop the strat at your feet lol.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Actual licensed Starship Troopers game devs in shambles

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
By the way, I saw people saying that AMR's sight alignment had been stealth fixed, so I went and tested again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOHCCjc2xJY

Spoiler alert, it wasn't and they were suffering from military grade placebo.
The horizontal displacement I saw earlier already wasn't consistent, and here I don't see any notable horizontal displacement in either direction, which leads me to believe that the issue is vertical displacement/zeroing and the left side bias before was a fluke caused by RNG spread.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

LazyMaybe posted:

By the way, I saw people saying that AMR's sight alignment had been stealth fixed, so I went and tested again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOHCCjc2xJY

Spoiler alert, it wasn't and they were suffering from military grade placebo.
The horizontal displacement I saw earlier already wasn't consistent, and here I don't see any notable horizontal displacement in either direction, which leads me to believe that the issue is vertical displacement/zeroing and the left side bias before was a fluke caused by RNG spread.

Can you change the zero for that gun? That's basically what happens to a high velocity round if you have a 50 yard zero and shoot something at 100 yards away, the gun will shoot high. (In real life no one is going to zero a gun at under 100 yards, but hey, video games)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BitBasher posted:

Can you change the zero for that gun? That's basically what happens to a high velocity round if you have a 50 yard zero and shoot something at 100 yards away, the gun will shoot high. (In real life no one is going to zero a gun at under 100 yards, but hey, video games)
Yes, but that's why I pinged the wall and showed the zero-the gun is set to the default zeroing of 50 meters, and the target is 50 meters away.

Worth saying I actually had to search around a bit before finding terrain that both a). the ping worked properly on, since your pings will go 'through' many manmade structures, and b). has visible decals where bullets hit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

.Z. posted:

No, it it got fixed with the most recent patch.

Thank god. I love using it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
by the way breaker is lowkey a great primary to bring on bot missions specifically just to saw groups of berserkers in half quickly with. your secondary/support can be stuff that deals with longrange chaff, striders, etc.
they're far from the most dangerous bot but having them run up on divers that only have redeemers as (very bursty, very ammo limited) close range dps is frequently a pain in the rear end.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Last of the gang tags are finally done. Apologies for it taking so long - delays were entirely on my end due to me having some real life stuff going on that's meant a lot of my forums activity recently has been in drive-by bursts.

If you asked for a gang tag and didn't receive one, it was because your first (and for a number of posters, only) post in this thread was asking for the gang tag.

If you do still want a gang tag and didn't receive one or missed the giveaway however, remember that you can just buy it yourself.

1) Save your current avatar (or select a new one).
2) Visit the store page for purchasing a New Avatar.
3) In the "title image" option, upload your current saved avatar or new one.
4) In the "title text" box, enter the [img] code for the gangtag on the SA servers.
5) Preview and fix any errors.
6) Go forth and spread Managed Democracy

Img code for the gangtag here:
code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/helldiversgang.png[/img]

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is going to be a dumb question but why would you not wear the armour suit that gives you a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE NOT TO DIE WHEN YOU GET WHACKED? Feel free to explain to me why I知 an idiot

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

This is going to be a dumb question but why would you not wear the armour suit that gives you a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE NOT TO DIE WHEN YOU GET WHACKED? Feel free to explain to me why I知 an idiot

I like being able to throw airstrikes at bases from miles away.

Also I'm pretty sure the democracy protects effect is only on medium armour and I gotta go fast at all times.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

This is going to be a dumb question but why would you not wear the armour suit that gives you a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE NOT TO DIE WHEN YOU GET WHACKED? Feel free to explain to me why I’m an idiot

you'll also die less in better armor

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ouroboros posted:

they appear to be coordinating a plan to join bug lobbies in order to teamkill people.

lmao :vince:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

The majority of dangerous things will kill you in multiple hits, like being overwhelmed by bugs or a robot with an automatic weapon, how many 50%s do you think you can roll in a stream of shots? It also doesn't protect you from acid vomit.

It can be nice to survive the odd rocket or cannon shot but by no means does it save your life a lot

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I bring ultralight armour to every non-eradicate mission, either the set with extra grenades for bugs or the one that looks like a star wars scout trooper for bots. Both let you run real fast and far and have recoil reduction, even while standing, and the latter lets you shoot riskier scorcher shots and anecdotally reduces damage from stray rockets.

Democracy protects is a good effect, obviously, but I've never liked gambling even with good odds and it means you have to move at unacceptably slow speeds.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Some good counterpoints. Thank you. I値l be glad to take it off. It痴 a bit bling for my tastes

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I asked a friend who prefers medium armor if he had ever thought to himself 'Gosh, I would be dead if I wasn't wearing medium armor' because he dies a lot. Like, a lot. He said he could genuinely think of at least one time that was the case but not many. Maybe he'll start wearing light armor some day, who knows.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
The fact that armour doesn't seem to offer any protection from headshots, and you have a pretty large head hitbox, means I am not really that jazzed about heavier sets. Having that chance to get clobbered anyway takes away the feeling of security or consistency I'd get from it, and I find running out of stamina to be generally the worst thing that can happen to you.

If I wanted more survivability I'd probably just take the light medic set and live forever hopped up on stims, sadly that set isn't ultralight so I rarely take it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Tommy the Newt posted:

The fact that armour doesn't seem to offer any protection from headshots, and you have a pretty large head hitbox, means I am not really that jazzed about heavier sets. Having that chance to get clobbered anyway takes away the feeling of security or consistency I'd get from it, and I find running out of stamina to be generally the worst thing that can happen to you.

If I wanted more survivability I'd probably just take the light medic set and live forever hopped up on stims, sadly that set isn't ultralight so I rarely take it.

I would say the headshot weakness is a bit overstated, but be warned, I'm the player type who only uses heavy armor so maybe our viewpoints will never reconcile. I don't find I usually die to a sudden spike of damage when enemies get a headshot outside of the specific case of rocket devastators. However, they can kill you regardless of armor by physics slamming you into the floor for an instant kill, physics launching you out of cover to get killed by other enemies, or physics launching you 30cm in the air so you stop running and awkwardly flop for 3s while you get shot. As far as spike damage from other small enemies goes, I occasionally do notice a sudden jump from what I presume is a headshot but it isn't an instant kill from regular bot guns or bug claws so I have time to heal after (and maybe I'll survive another couple of small shots while doing the stim animation).

Having said that you can feel entirely valid in enjoying running away from enemies quickly or getting maps done faster with your speed, just sharing some experience about the headshot issue, specifically

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
More explosive resistance and overall damage resistance is fun for doing things like rocket jumping using the gas pustules. I went from hating seeing those on maps to gleefully running over them, diving + shooting and launching myself into the stratosphere.

There was an awesome moment where we were uploading data using a local array, and I yeeted myself up to the transmission dish to rotate the dish and lay down fire from above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

This armour is pretty elite. I'll grab it if I can't decide on something better like scout armour.

I find when using it though I spend A LOT of time grabbing a cheat death but in the knockdown still cracking my head on a rock and dying anyway.