Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So do we know when System Shock is supposed to have its big rebalance update patch? I got it during the sale and I assumed it was coming when the console release happened but I still can't find any news on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Jerusalem posted:

Miyazaki reading posts from players:

Shortly before Elden Ring released I ran through DS3 again, and just as I finished Untended Graves I said aloud “Thank God we’re done with those annoying loving dogs forever.”

Hahahaha. HAHAHAHA.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unlucky7 posted:

So do we know when System Shock is supposed to have its big rebalance update patch? I got it during the sale and I assumed it was coming when the console release happened but I still can't find any news on it.

Huh, did it need one?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

Huh, did it need one?

Dunno, but that is what I thought I heard. Or maybe I am confusing it with another game :shrug:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 31, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Phlegmish posted:

furry 2 HITLER

HITLER 2 FURRY

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Phlegmish posted:

furry 2 HITLER

2Furry 2Hitler

Edit:

Hwurmp posted:

2 Furst 2 Führious

Much better :golfclap:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 31, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unlucky7 posted:

Dunno, but that is what I thought I heard. Or maybe I am confusing it with another game :shrug:

No, you're right, patch 1.2 is what the consoles are getting. Gosh there are a lot of angry people on the Kickstarter site, which... I can understand why but imo they've ended up with a triumph so I can't share their ire. Looks like 1.2 changes a few things, the main tweak is to the ending.

Female Hacker added as a playable character — Select the Hacker’s appearance from the New Game Configuration screen.
Reworked the entire final fight with new mechanics and a unique flow
Major optimizations across the entire game — Steam Deck users rejoice!
Alpha Strain enemies have a new attack
Avian Mutant enemies have a new attack
Cyborg Diego has new movement options
Some first person Hacker animations have been corrected
Continued refining enemy AI and behaviors
General combat and speed balance adjustments across enemies and weapons
Credits added to the Title Screen
Better Gamepad handling and implementation
Achievements are properly awarded when completing the requirements

Minor

============
Easier to see total counts of collected Media items
Added a button to the entrance of the Security level to ensure you can backtrack to the rest of the Station
General FX improvements and tweaks
New artwork on monitors across Citadel Station
Enemy callouts and vocals are less frequent now
Better text sizing for all languages
Jump Jet behavior improved
The color of some projectiles were tweaked
Sped up animations of using Dermal Patches
Enemies who are near Restoration Bays will be teleported to their spawn location to ensure the Hacker doesn’t get softlocked by being killed repeatedly.
Save files are now counted incrementally.
Fix ups of various Cyberspace levels and enemy placements within
Better handling of Hacker death in unlikely scenarios
Tons of other smaller bug fixes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sebmojo posted:

No, you're right, patch 1.2 is what the consoles are getting. Gosh there are a lot of angry people on the Kickstarter site, which... I can understand why but imo they've ended up with a triumph so I can't share their ire. Looks like 1.2 changes a few things, the main tweak is to the ending.
What are they angry about?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does the Jaws of the Lion DLC have the early missions where everything is simplified? Or did they retool them so they wouldn't be piss-easy for people already familiar with the game?

The physical JotL was explicitly created as a cheaper "entry-level" version of Gloomhaven for people who were intrigued by the game but weren't ready to drop $150+ on that huge loving box. It has a much better tutorial that spaces out introducing new concepts and even has simplified versions of cards that you're supposed to use for the first 2-3 missions, to help new players get up to speed. I'm curious if the same is true of the digital version.

They're still easy but you can do whatever instead of being purposefully limited in what actions you have available to you - it's mostly Vermling Raiders with their very simple deck. They're MUCH better starter missions than the Black Barrow series of missions.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

What are they angry about?

Not being Kickstarter rewards, not getting a patch sooner, not getting a Linux or Mac version... Actually, all reasonable stuff, and the development was p protracted and tangled so i guess they have a right to have views.

To answer the original question it looks like the patch is coming some time after May 21.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Orv posted:

Someone should make an unholy amalgam of Gloomhaven, Axis and Allies and Arkham Horror that takes a whole day to set up and a week to play ends in everyone dead.

I will never forget the time we played Arkham Horror to an apparently successful conclusion only to realize that because of our failure to pay back bank loans we technically lost anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Akratic Method posted:

I will never forget the time we played Arkham Horror to an apparently successful conclusion only to realize that because of our failure to pay back bank loans we technically lost anyway.

as always, capitalism is the real horror

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Orv posted:

Someone should make an unholy amalgam of Gloomhaven, Axis and Allies and Arkham Horror that takes a whole day to set up and a week to play ends in everyone dead.

This exists, it's called Kingdom Death Monster

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i replayed dark souls (luck build, i got the black knight sword AND halberd, first time any black knight weapon ever dropped) and i have the same cycle every time:

the first half: i have underrated this game. maybe it's actually better than dark souls 2 if we don't count the DLCs.

the second half: this game loving sucks. it sucks worse than twelve shrine of amanas in a row. it's all so loving ugly and janky and bland and clearly unfinished. everything after anor londo ranges from bad (catacombs, tombs, demon ruins, new londo) to the worst content across the whole franchise (lost izalith and crystal cave, and their respective bosses). duke's archives is pretty cool but it's very short.

the DLC: okay the game's kinda good actually.

gwyn is also a cool fight if you don't parry him. he gets a bad rap but i'd put him somewhere in the middle of final bosses, way ahead of nashandra/aldia, ahead of fake alonne/garl (the real last boss fights of DeS). a far cry from radagon but much better than elden beast so that's kind of a wash. behind soul of cinder and WAY behind isshin and gehrmann. i feel like the moon presence doesn't really count as a final boss.

the DLC is the best part of the game, aside from the very beginning in undead burg/parish, but i think comparatively it's probably the weakest in the franchise. which is not to say that it's bad - it's really good - but the DLCs for the other games are just out of this world amazing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

not getting a Linux or Mac version...

As a Linux enjoyer, I kinda prefer just running things through Proton. A bit blasphemous, I know, but it "just werks" more than native linux ports do, especially after having aged a bit. Some Linux ports of games just don't work any more and the windows version via proton is pretty rock solid for the most part now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As a Linux enjoyer, getting some things to work under WINE/proton is always a crapshoot, although I do admit native ports have a tendency to get abandoned. SS2remake in particular needs me to drop the resolution down to historically accurate levels, which while amusing I'd still prefer the real thing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

As a Linux enjoyer, getting some things to work under WINE/proton is always a crapshoot, although I do admit native ports have a tendency to get abandoned. SS2remake in particular needs me to drop the resolution down to historically accurate levels, which while amusing I'd still prefer the real thing.

Have you got an all-AMD setup? Pretty much everything works through proton, with the occasional game needing a specific proton version to be set. The only problematic titles being those with anti-cheat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Absolutely my next build will be exactly that, to move away from proprietary binary blobs with inscrutable bugs. It's a money issue in the meantime.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Booted up Gloomhaven, started the regular mode (i.e. it's just the boardgame, not the tutorial/guildmaster mode) and HERE we go, this is the game proper, I'm having fun and trying to optimize my turns and it's kicking my rear end but I'm enjoying it. God, it's like fantasy Into the Breach and it's so cool

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I strongly recommend getting some friends to play Gloomhaven with. I found it to be pretty slow playing alone, but it's a blast with others.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We had a lot of fun with MP Gloomhaven, it is great. Then our host lost our save and I lost my ability to feel joy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

This exists, it's called Kingdom Death Monster

Oh yeah I forgot about that thing. Is there an actual game there beyond the extra horny monster and player minis?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Foul Fowl posted:

i replayed dark souls (luck build, i got the black knight sword AND halberd, first time any black knight weapon ever dropped) and i have the same cycle every time:

the first half: i have underrated this game. maybe it's actually better than dark souls 2 if we don't count the DLCs.

the second half: this game loving sucks. it sucks worse than twelve shrine of amanas in a row. it's all so loving ugly and janky and bland and clearly unfinished. everything after anor londo ranges from bad (catacombs, tombs, demon ruins, new londo) to the worst content across the whole franchise (lost izalith and crystal cave, and their respective bosses). duke's archives is pretty cool but it's very short.

the DLC: okay the game's kinda good actually.

gwyn is also a cool fight if you don't parry him. he gets a bad rap but i'd put him somewhere in the middle of final bosses, way ahead of nashandra/aldia, ahead of fake alonne/garl (the real last boss fights of DeS). a far cry from radagon but much better than elden beast so that's kind of a wash. behind soul of cinder and WAY behind isshin and gehrmann. i feel like the moon presence doesn't really count as a final boss.

the DLC is the best part of the game, aside from the very beginning in undead burg/parish, but i think comparatively it's probably the weakest in the franchise. which is not to say that it's bad - it's really good - but the DLCs for the other games are just out of this world amazing.

I agree with most of this but also I'm not sure dark souls would be a better game with 3 extra years and an unlimited budget.

It's kinda funny to think they must have been getting worryingly close to needing to finish and went "sod it just copy paste some dragon haunches"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I agree with most of this but also I'm not sure dark souls would be a better game with 3 extra years and an unlimited budget.

They made this game, it’s about rings

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Orv posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that thing. Is there an actual game there beyond the extra horny monster and player minis?

It's decidedly Fine as a game, definitely not worth the sticker price but back when it came out basically every nerd group had someone who went all in on the KS so it wasn't too hard to get to play for free if you wanted.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sonic?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Halo?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dark Brotherhood really DID switch up the formula, I agree.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Good game but a 7/10 compared to the og Dark Souls 10

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's kinda funny to think they must have been getting worryingly close to needing to finish and went "sod it just copy paste some dragon haunches"

i think they just can’t help themselves, if they had 3 more years maybe all that stuff would have been finished but there would have been 8 new areas slapped together and filled with copypasted asses. every souls game feels unfinished to one degree or another

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Izalith is the only area that really feels unfinished to me. Even then I think the simple act of deleting the dragon asses there would have made it feel more complete. Big and empty yes, but that's not necessarily a sign of incompleteness. It's just the lazy spamming of obviously reappropriated enemy assets that makes it seem like a last minute rush job to me.

In fact I think huge, relatively empty foreboding areas are something that the later games are missing and only Elden Ring to some extent really brought back. Dark Souls 2 kind of did it but also couldn't resist the urge to fill every area with swarms of enemies.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Foul Fowl posted:

i think they just can’t help themselves, if they had 3 more years maybe all that stuff would have been finished but there would have been 8 new areas slapped together and filled with copypasted asses. every souls game feels unfinished to one degree or another

tell me more about these asses

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
They're fractured

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

turns out they just never had the time to put the dino butts everywhere

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I recently posted about it in the Strategy games thread , but I picked up Dune: Spice Wars in the recent sale and I am really enjoying it. It's totally scratching that 4x itch except that you can finish up an entire skirmish against the computers in probably 2-4 hours (depends on how often you pause since the game runs in real-time). The factions are all really deep and interesting with fun asymmetry to them so much that the moment I am done with a game I immediately want to fire up and try a different faction. The base game has 6 factions (House Atriedes, House Harkonnen, House Corrino, House Ecaz, the Smugglers, and the Fremen) and there is one DLC faction for a total of 7 (the seventh faction, House Vernius, can be in your game but you can't play as it without owning the DLC) and each skirmish has 4 factions so the game can change dramatically depending on who you are up against.

I really like the art and graphics, the music and sound are great, and everything about the game seems polished and fun. Big recommendation from me, especially if you are a fan of the books/movies (I never read the books).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
going through Sanabi and it really is a lot like Katana Zero - the gameplay's very good, the story is mediocre, and the game's much more interested in the latter

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MTG Arena is doing April Fool's a day early and.... okay lmao

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Volte posted:

Izalith is the only area that really feels unfinished to me. Even then I think the simple act of deleting the dragon asses there would have made it feel more complete. Big and empty yes, but that's not necessarily a sign of incompleteness. It's just the lazy spamming of obviously reappropriated enemy assets that makes it seem like a last minute rush job to me.

In fact I think huge, relatively empty foreboding areas are something that the later games are missing and only Elden Ring to some extent really brought back. Dark Souls 2 kind of did it but also couldn't resist the urge to fill every area with swarms of enemies.

i don't disagree - i like open areas and i don't think the player needs to be around led by the nose ala god of war. my problem with everything after anor londo is that all the interesting encounters disappear. burg, parish, sen's, anor londo, even bits of the darkroot garden and blight town have these really cool, bespoke encounters with a variety of enemies and placements that make use of the level. you have a lot of different avenues to solve all of the encounters depending on your build and your tolerance for playing carefully vs. recklessly.

then the game degenerates. all of the above is replaced either by a series of 1v1s against the same enemy (golem, big skeletor, big demon) or against a squad of grunt enemies (regular skeletors, ghosts). sometimes it's a 1v2 but that just means you bait one of their slow attacks and kill the other one. same strategy every time. there's slight variations with e.g. the big skeletor dogs but even those are basically the same fights except they have a 12 hit combo. sometimes you will get a gank squad of like 3 golems or 5 taurus demons but these are always seem designed to be circumvented and not fought. lost izalith doesn't have a single enemy worth fighting - it seems like they knew it was a dogshit area so they just breadcrumbed the player to the boss and made all the enemies useless or near-sighted as hell.

the level geometry mattering also disappears except in the case of, like, crystal cave where it's awful. new londo has all the enemies just noclip through the walls. catacombs is corridor city but while the skeletors are funny with their psycho crushers and cartwheels, they're just fodder except if you get caught in overlapping hitboxes.

duke's archives is the exception to the above.

anyway it's a great game lol, i probably sound salty as hell but i'm grading it on a curve. i had lots of fun on this replay.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

StrixNebulosa posted:

Booted up Gloomhaven, started the regular mode (i.e. it's just the boardgame, not the tutorial/guildmaster mode) and HERE we go, this is the game proper, I'm having fun and trying to optimize my turns and it's kicking my rear end but I'm enjoying it. God, it's like fantasy Into the Breach and it's so cool
This make me really interested in the game.

Broken Cog posted:

I strongly recommend getting some friends to play Gloomhaven with. I found it to be pretty slow playing alone, but it's a blast with others.
On the other hand, this makes me less interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have never seen a single game that wasn't slower with other people than playing alone.
Gloomhaven is no exception in my experience.