Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

PurpleXVI posted:

Only two genders? Inefficient, easily exploited weakness. Spinning a dozen new genders now, will overwhelm any species clinging to outdated gender binary with superior gender spectrum.

Gender is essence. I will collect. I will adapt. No gender is beyond my reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fact: replacing all instances of "Amon" with "gender" improves the plot of StarCraft II by at least 833%

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hwurmp posted:

fact: replacing all instances of "Amon" with "gender" improves the plot of StarCraft II by at least 833%

So the prophecy was all about freeing Kerrigan from the lingering touch of gender.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't one gender be the most efficient? But with 12 you could have 3 versions of each and pick the most suitable for each situation which is definitely more fun and interesting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Wouldn't one gender be the most efficient? But with 12 you could have 3 versions of each and pick the most suitable for each situation which is definitely more fun and interesting.

Gender is specialization. Each strain is its own gender. It is the nature of Zerg to transition.

Honestly, I don't think the lack of inter-cast conflict is as much of a problem in this campaign as it will be in Legacy. It's always been the zerg's style to fall in behind a single leader. And there is at least inter-cast tension - Zagara and Dehaka are openly just waiting for their moment to overthrow Kerrigan and Stukov is here only because he has no more driving motivations to take him anywhere else. Only Izsha and Abathur are actually directly loyal to Kerrigan, and even then Abathur clearly doesn't really understand the concept of loyalty so much as has servitude programmed into him. And Izsha is basically just a fleshy computer.

No one is really in a position to call Kerrigan out when she's doing something dumb or evil, but for the most part it's just cause no one really wants to. Maybe keeping Lasarra around would have been fun for that. Justify it as using her connection to the Khala to help avoid the daelaam protoss or something. Having her as an outsider perspective without even any nominal loyalty to Kerrigan might even give us a neutral perspective on how the Swarm has been changed by the story or whether Kerrigan is supposed to be evil or not.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, did Kerrigan see Amon? Or is this just something that they say she gleaned during the fight?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

BisbyWorl posted:

So the prophecy was all about freeing Kerrigan from the lingering touch of gender.
Maybe she's a trans woman?
Like, an incredibly dumb one, but that seems normal in the Starcraft universe.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
there was a scene in the PONDER THE ORB storyline of Wings where Zeratul bumped into her and she was kind of mopey, I think the idea is that she had figured out Amon's deal by then

it just went in the selective amnesia hole because you can't reveal the main villain until the end of the second act, so she had to relearn his deal alongside the player

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Maybe she's a trans woman?
Like, an incredibly dumb one, but that seems normal in the Starcraft universe.

currently she's a trans Zerg, assigned Terran at birth and with one detrans attempt courtesy of Raynor.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Hwurmp posted:

BisbyWorl posted:

Tenebrais posted:

Gender is specialization. Each strain is its own gender. It is the nature of Zerg to transition.

bladededge fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 31, 2024

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Zomborgon posted:

Stukov is a big fan of the Sonic series.

Poor guy
It is probably a reference to an old SF Story, "The Green Hills of Earth", by R. A. Heinlein

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Hills_of_Earth

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

megane posted:

Big bonus points to Abathur for calling out my least favorite sci-fi trope re: space being cold.

Space is cold. The CMB is ~3 Kelvin. It's just that space is also a vacuum, so the only transfer is radiant, which is pretty slow. Unless you happen to be releasing coolant out into that vacuum, in which case you have bigger problems.

However, most of the stuff we care about is close to a star, which are pretty hot.

This all means that usually, the thing you have to worry about in space (among all the other things, because Space Is Hard) is getting rid of heat, not generating it. The nearby star tends to put all the heat (and hard radiation) that you need into whatever vessel you are in.

Not that this matters when Mutalisks can just flap their wings to fly through space.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it might look like mutalisks fly through space, but they're actually just cavitating

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

wiegieman posted:

Not that this matters when Mutalisks can just flap their wings to fly through space.

Mutalisks flap their wings to cool down in space as well.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Unit Spotlight: Mutalisk

Overview:
  • Cost: 100 minerals, 100 gas, 2 supply
  • Prereq Structure: Spire
  • Health: 150
  • Armor: 0 (+1)
  • Movement Speed: 3.75
  • Attack: 9 (+1) -> 3 (+0.33) -> 1 (+0.11)
  • Range: 3
  • Attack Speed: 1.52
  • Attributes: Biological, Light
These all-time terrors of the skies are still incredibly powerful, but a few things bring them down from their SC1 days. The loss of damage types means that most anti-air will be hitting them harder than they're used to, which when combined with their habit of clumping up means that Hellstorm Batteries, Ripwave Missiles (both of which the AI happily uses here), and Thors will take sizable chunks out of your flocks. This means you need more Mutas to hit that critical mass that'll melt anything that gets close before they can get more than a shot off, but that means burning a lot more gas that could have gone towards a more even army.

Also, Mutalisks can fly, but Kerrigan can't, so they'll almost always leave her in the dust unless you sit around and wait for her to catch up.

Evolution Pool Upgrades:

Vicious Glave
  • Effect: Attacks now bounce an additional three times and have increased bounce range. Attacks deal 9 (+1) -> 3 (+0.33) -> 3 (+0.33) -> 1 (+0.11)-> 1 (+0.11) damage.
Glave wurm symbiote, simple sequences. Ample room for improvement. Can mutate constitution of cartilaginous framework, amplify damage of impact. Will increase number of targets affected by wurm before structure failure, disintegration.

Not as good as it sounds, just because those extra bounces will be slamming right into +3 armor and dealing a massive 0.5 damage. Even against a big group of Marines it won't do much.

Rapid Regeneration
  • Effect: Mutalisks regen 10 life per second when out of combat for 5 seconds.
Mutalisk fragile. In need of improved survivability. Requires restructure of sequences down to core. When wounded, cells will activate, remodels tissue to original state. Rapid regeneration. Will require almost entire focus of mutalisk, much exertion. Must devise instinctive aversion to use in combat. Dead mutalisks of minimal use.

Helps patch up the 'will outrun Kerrigan' problem. If you do mass Mutas, this ensures that attrition will never be a factor and you'll be flying into each fight with a fully healed army.

Sundering Glave
  • Effect: Attacks no longer bounce between targets. Attack now deals an additional +9 damage vs Armored.
Alternative configuration of glave wurm possible. Similar constitution to baneling strain. Explosive. Will deal significant damage to single enemy. Wurm is destroyed upon detonation. Subsequent collisions impossible.

A surprisingly viable choice, considering the only non-Armored units the Dominion has are Marines, Reapers, Medics, and Ghosts.

Evolutions

Brood Lord

Overview:
  • Cost: 150 minerals, 150 gas, +2 supply
  • Prereq Structure: Greater Spire (evolved from Spire)
  • Health: 220
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Movement Speed: 1.88
  • Attack: 20 (+2)
  • Range: 9.5
  • Attack Speed: 2.5
  • Attributes: Biological, Armored, Massive

Overview (Broodling):
  • Health: 30
  • Armor: 0 (+1)
  • Movement Speed: 4.13
  • Attack: 4 (+1)
  • Range: 0.1
  • Attack Speed: 1.57
  • Attributes: Light
Brood Lord strain almost lost. Corruptor strain unable to be reconstituted. Essence unavailable. Mutalisk base must suffice.

Once morphed, spawns broodling symbiotes. Able to launch broodlings long distance. Siege ground-based foes from air. Powerful weapon.

Ehh. Brood Lords are strong, sure, but 250/250/4 a head is very pricey for a unit that's slow as molasses in a game that's as hyper aggressive as Heart. You can't even send them out on their own to chip away at the enemy, since they will send out Vikings as soon as the first Broodling lands. And good luck if you need to suddenly pull back to deal with an attack wave.

Abilities

Swarm Seeds
  • Effect: Attacks spawn Broodlings. Can 'store' up to two Broodlings, launching them both on the first attack.
It's free damage?

Viper

Overview:
  • Cost: 100 minerals, 100 gas, +1 supply
  • Prereq Structure: Greater Spire (evolved from Spire)
  • Health: 150
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Energy: 50/200
  • Movement Speed: 1.88
  • Attack: 15 (+2), +5 vs Armored
  • Range: 6
  • Attack Speed: 1.5
  • Attributes: Biological, Psionic
Viper adapted from essence taken on Zerus. Primal sequences streamlined. Redundant mutations removed. Stronger. Fit for Swarm. Viper strain abducts targets, emits disabling cloud. Manipulates battlefield conditions to Swarm's advantage.

Another powerful caster that runs into the same issue of Kerrigan demanding constant attention to get the most out of her. If you can juggle Vipers and Kerrigan they're incredibly strong, but beyond that they're just a decent anti-air fighter.

Abilities

Abduct
  • Cost: 25 energy.
  • Pulls target unit to Vipers location. Units being pulled cannot attack.
Pretty much a dedicated anti-Siege Tank button. The ability to pull your own units exists, I guess, but it'll never be something that'll make or break a plan.

Disabling Cloud
  • Cost: 75 energy.
  • Creates a field that reduces movement speed and prevents attacks from all enemy ground units in the area. Lasts for 10 seconds
It's a spell that completely shuts down any enemy inside it, and it can't backfire on you like Dark Swarm could. And while the AI is smart enough to immediately move units out of the cloud, you can easily surround them with a pack of Zerglings and keep them pinned in place.

Consumption
  • Cost: 10s cooldown.
  • Drains up to 75 life from friendly biological unit and gives the Viper 2 energy per life drained
Just like the Infestor, it's free energy. Make a few Roaches or just have Kerrigan hit Mend.

Field Manual Artwork

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 4, 2024

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also, for Very Important Reasons, the next co-op showcase will be delayed by one week.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Brood Lord strain almost lost. Corruptor strain unable to be reconstituted. Essence unavailable. Mutalisk base must suffice.

Huh. So they actually wrote an explanation for why there's no Corruptors in the campaign. Did they appear in Wings for this to need explaining?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

Huh. So they actually wrote an explanation for why there's no Corruptors in the campaign. Did they appear in Wings for this to need explaining?

Yep!

They first showed up in The Evacuation, and pop up here and there.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I continue to be in love with the Marine's commentary in the Field Manual.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Please do not bayonet charge a Baneling

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So Muta spaceflight really is powered by farts, huh

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BisbyWorl posted:

Yep!

They first showed up in The Evacuation, and pop up here and there.

zerg anti-air only units serve a valuable purpose in allowing map designers to sell "there is an overwhelming Zerg presence here" while also not threatening your ground units

actually doing anything for the Zerg strategically: not so much

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

or as it was put in the previous SC2 LP, there's Corrupter Tier and they're the only unit there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfItxRMgI4M&t=1824s

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

I continue to be in love with the Marine's commentary in the Field Manual.

"Go to hell. We still carry bayonets." got an out-loud laugh from me.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Space 1: With Friends Like These...

Video: With Friends Like These...

Time for a little marital spat.

We're going back to playing as terran for this one mission, which means we get the terran UI colors like during Umoja.

You forget yourself, mercenary!

I'm here to ask for your help. You've got Colonel Orlan and we need him. He's the only man who can hack the Dominion's deep-encryption network.

Mira... :allears:

Jim's not here right now.

Oh dear. Then I'm afraid I cannot give you Colonel Orlan.

A mercenary's reputation is all that she has, darling. I will not relinquish my prisoner to anyone but the client. Not even to someone with your devilish good looks and brooding intensity. Sorry.

We need to set up our own base.

Granted, when I said we were playing as terran I didn't mean we were having a full mission. Instead we get a short and sweet solo mission with the Hyperion.

Mira has her own type of fighter craft.

But the Hyperion has the new ability to fire while moving, so I can blast it without ever having to stop.

There's some debris in the way.

As always, a brief tutorial segment to show off the new abilities.

The Hyperion struggles against multiple enemies, as the majority of its shots target one enemy at a time.

So the second ability unlocks.

Tac Fighters head to where I target and attack any enemies they find, both thinning out groups and keeping damage off me. If one gets destroyed, more get rebuilt over time.

The Tac Fighters themselves have 'They came from... behind!' as a death quote as a callback to Warcraft 3.

And now we got big towers to blast.

Up ahead is a Repair Bot. If I find one while damaged I can grab it immediately, or if I get close to death I can pull back and grab it as a panic button.

The initial segment ends as soon as this tower falls.

Every time it puts a fleet together, it'll send them against Mira's guys.

It doesn't work that way out here, Valerian.

Valerian hasn't learned how Mira works.

While Mira has her own fancy new ship type, my base just sends out Wraiths. Strangely, these Wraiths only pack lasers instead of the usual A2A missiles.

Mag Mines are one of the main hazards here.

They'll wind up for a few moments when an enemy approaches, then fire a missile down the marked line.

The rest of the mission is somewhat MOBA-like. Valerian and Mira's bases will constantly send out waves of ships at each other, which will usually end up in a stalemate. I have to help my ships push forward while taking out towers.

There are also minerals I can pick up.

Even in this one-off terran mission I can't escape leveling up.

The only thing protecting these clusters are mines and the occasional fighter, so it isn't a big deal.

I hit level two quickly.

Each level gives the Hyperion +1/+1, increases the number of Tac Fighters by 2, and boosts the damage of the Yamato Cannon by 100.

And they've got a capital class ship... We could always bypass them.

They might have some valuable resources or equipment.

There's a second bonus off to the side here.

I just have to destroy this ship here.

It can attack all nearby targets, chipping down my Tac Fighters.

It'll occasionally use an AOE stun.

It can cloak for a few seconds while sending out a wave of fighters.

And it has its own version of the Yamato.

Scooter?

Destroying it nets me the same AOE stun it used. The duration starts at 3 seconds, and gains one second per level.

Do you two have some kind of strange history.

Don't encourage her.

Now, on one hand this mission is blatant filler that has zero impact on the plot.

On the other hand: Mira. :allears:

Mira has her own Battlecruisers, naturally.

I find these giant Starports every now and then. These are what create the fighter waves.

Matthew, that was very rude. Fully automated bases are quite expensive!

Destroying one makes my main base warp over. This also improves the attack waves it sends out, adding in a few Vikings.

The second mineral cluster.

2/2, 10 total Tac Fighters, 500 damage Yamato, and 5s stun.

And the last cluster.

Alas, he also stole your heart.

When have you ever made anything easy on me?

I always thought you like it rough.

Taking out the third outpost adds Battlecruisers to my attack waves.

And that's level 4.

3/3, 12 total Tac Fighters, 600 damage Yamato, and 6s stun.

Mira has multiple Starports by her space station.

That's what I'm afraid of.

Do not test my patience, Matthew.

You brought this on yourself, Mira. I wanted to play nice.

The Mercenary Space Station itself has 5K health, it's own gun, and periodically spawns a bunch of Mag Mines around it.

All it can do is pop out Mines and plink at me, and there are enough repair bots scattered around that I can easily break away to heal in an emergency.

And done.

Please, can we just take Colonel Orlan and go? Right now?

I'm sending that disreputable fellow to you in a shuttle.

Tell me what you need.

And I thought Dominion politics were vicious.

With Friends Like These... - Complete the "With Friends Like These..." mission in the Heart of the Swarm campaign.

MinedCraft - Collect every mineral pickup with the Hyperion in the "With Friends Like These…” mission.

Space Ace - Don’t let a Mag Mine hit the Hyperion in the “With Friends Like These…” mission on Normal difficulty.

Ludicrous Speed! - Complete the “With Friends Like These…” mission in less than 11 minutes on Hard difficulty.

Pimp My Ride - Upgrade the Hyperion to the max level within 11 minutes in the "With Friend Like These..." mission on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 6, 2024

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
This mission seems like it's so much fun. Is it fun?

I think that's been my reaction to all of Heart of the Swarm. The gameplay seems fun.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Mira. :allears:

Also: Swann. :allears:

"...Scooter?" (Worth noting, Swann lets out a low whistle of "I'm impressed" before explaining about the EMP generator the Kel Morians had.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, the game seems like so much fun and it's a shame the writing let it down.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

That's the thing! I had a great time playing HoTS. I don't think that any of the words in it are any good, but I had a shitload of fun sending my little dogs to eat the other guys.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's fun and I didn't analyze the story enough to care about the flaws.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Am I correct that from the unit picture, Mira's fighters are robots, and as such you kill much fewer of her men then it appears?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

painedforever posted:

This mission seems like it's so much fun. Is it fun?

I think that's been my reaction to all of Heart of the Swarm. The gameplay seems fun.

It's kinda fun once, on replay it's big fat boring meh.

But also I actually like MOBAs, so I might be biased against playing what amounts to half a tutorial for one.

---e---

Tosh's mission in WoL is waaaay better.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 6, 2024

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I correct that from the unit picture, Mira's fighters are robots, and as such you kill much fewer of her men then it appears?

Given that we are indicated to be using automated fighters in this mission, and Mira complains about the destruction of fully-automated bases, that pretty much seals the case that, yeah, this is almost completely a robot v robot battle.

Not sure about the battlecruisers, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xarn posted:

Tosh's mission in WoL is waaaay better.

It doesn't have Mira Han though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah, HotS is ultimately my favorite campaign, because it had the maps I most enjoyed playing. The Zerg gameplay remains cool no matter how much the writing tries to ruin them, and even making Kerrigan an insanely overpowered hero unit doesn't prevent you from deploying overwhelming numbers of critters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. So we could have a fun fight with friends without the horrors of people actually dying (like so!)
Don't ask what this fully automated war machine says about terran tech, this would require taking this mission seriously.