Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Captainicus posted:

I would say the headshot weakness is a bit overstated

Just to clarify, I'm not saying heavier armour is always bad, just my personal preference is to lean towards consistency as far as my player character goes. If heavy armour or democracy protects isn't consistently saving me in situations where I'd have died in light I'm not interested, just in a stubborn, fundamental way. Ultralight will always let me run faster, longer and have +30% better weapon handling/+2 grenades etc. Even if I can see that over time heavier sets can provide tangible value, coinflips or dice rolls on the player end are a turnoff for me. If I want more protection I'll take the bubble shield because it performs consistently.

I probably sound like the most boring shithead in the world, but that's how I play games. I'm not criticising your armour choice at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Tommy the Newt posted:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying heavier armour is always bad, just my personal preference is to lean towards consistency as far as my player character goes. If heavy armour or democracy protects isn't consistently saving me in situations where I'd have died in light I'm not interested, just in a stubborn, fundamental way. Ultralight will always let me run faster, longer and have +30% better weapon handling/+2 grenades etc. Even if I can see that over time heavier sets can provide tangible value, coinflips or dice rolls on the player end are a turnoff for me. If I want more protection I'll take the bubble shield because it performs consistently.

I probably sound like the most boring shithead in the world, but that's how I play games. I'm not criticising your armour choice at all though.

Of course, any set you use to spread democracy is a good set!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Some nicely designed Democratic Merch coming shortly for those who want to proclaim their allegiance to the cause

https://www.insertcoinclothing.com/blog/2024/03/official-helldivers-2-range-preorders-now-live/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What does armor fundamentally do for the player? How much protection is Extra Padding vs Explosive resist, for instance? How much damage resistance am I giving up going from 150 to 50, for instance? I certainly don't feel much more fragile in 50 armor despite seeing a noticeable increase to stamina and speed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
With a shield it's negligable. With the dog I like the 100 light armor from the super shop.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

the major orders don't really matter either way. if this current campaign fails the message is probably going to be "oh no, the robots have gunships because we couldn't take their factories" if the players lose or "we found out that the robot gunships were being made on another planet" if they win. the outcome is ultimately going to be the same and nothing will change because the devs aren't going to not add the new featuers and game modes that they're working on

people have data mined all of the dialogue for the current story critical major orders and iirc a decent number of them don't even have failure options.
This is broadly my take on it too. The major orders are interesting from a “coo the devs want us to do something” world building or lore or whatever, but we’re getting whatever is on their roadmap at the planned intervals regardless.

As someone who has maxed level, req & samples medals aren’t even the most attractive reward. The amount you get for participating (and you literally only have to complete one mission there on any difficulty to get the same reward) is negligible compared to grinding other missions, particularly on Bugs instead. If they offered a decent chunk of Super Credits, dare I say it if they made major orders the only practical way of getting decent amounts of them, then you’d probably get more interest & dedication to succeeding.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
That ultralight extra padded armor is my new favorite, at the time I just wanted to get the helmet but had the credits for the armor too and went for it, glad I did. Now hunters don’t get easy kills, and I can still outpace everything else.

I exclusively used the newbie scout armor beforehand, which was nice for the detection radius passive, but I eventually get found out anyway when I’m not running from point to point, and the map ping passive I only used on a case-by-case basis. Probably not as often as I should, so it’s wasted on me.

“Light Gunner” is the name of the ultralight 100 armor set, Supercredit Store purchase from like a week or two ago. Dunno the store rotation schedule, if there is one, but that’s about how long ago it was.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

smellmycheese posted:

This is going to be a dumb question but why would you not wear the armour suit that gives you a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE NOT TO DIE WHEN YOU GET WHACKED? Feel free to explain to me why I’m an idiot

Extra impact grenades and autocannon accuracy goes brrrr

Ravenfood posted:

What does armor fundamentally do for the player? How much protection is Extra Padding vs Explosive resist, for instance? How much damage resistance am I giving up going from 150 to 50, for instance? I certainly don't feel much more fragile in 50 armor despite seeing a noticeable increase to stamina and speed.

From a post i found:

quote:

Here is how armor and health actually works:
Player base health is 90 HP, the Vitality Enhancer increases player health by 20%, bringing it up to 108 HP (it does nothing else).
Limb Health and Limb Injuries have absolutely no relation whatsoever to damage taken, and are entirely separate from your HP.
The base damage modifier for Torso is x1.0, Head is x1.5 and Arms and Legs are roughly x0.85 (limb damage modifier wasn't the main scope of our week of testing).

Unlike enemies, the player has an Armor Value (AV) of 0, meaning you can be damaged from any source.
Instead, players use Damage Resistance (DR) which is a % of damage blocked by incoming damage, and is not represented or conveyed properly at all by the armor "stats".
"Armor Rating" (AR) doesn't actually mean anything, it's fake UI element that's purely there to tell you if something has more or less "armor".

The actual table for AR translated to DR actually looks like this.
AR - DR - BLOCKED - RECIEVED
0 = 0% - x0 - x1.0
50 = 20% - x0.2 - x0.8
75 = 28% - x0.28 - x0.72
100 = 36% - x0.36 - x0.64
125 = 42.4% - x0.424 - x0.576
150 = 48.8% - x.0488 - x0.512
200 = 59.04% - x0.5904 - x0.4096

Extra padding is straight up just extra armor for that armor set, explosive resist is just that - it cuts explosive incoming damage by half - but you can still get nailed for full damage by the impact of rockets from devastators, for example.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 31, 2024

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I'm not sure how true that is about the vitality booster, I watched a video a while back that showed it only affected limb health and was pretty convinced by their evidence. I can't find the video again now but I'm sceptical. I've not tested it myself though.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Chuds McGreedy posted:

That ultralight extra padded armor is my new favorite, at the time I just wanted to get the helmet but had the credits for the armor too and went for it, glad I did. Now hunters don’t get easy kills, and I can still outpace everything else.

I exclusively used the newbie scout armor beforehand, which was nice for the detection radius passive, but I eventually get found out anyway when I’m not running from point to point, and the map ping passive I only used on a case-by-case basis. Probably not as often as I should, so it’s wasted on me.

“Light Gunner” is the name of the ultralight 100 armor set, Supercredit Store purchase from like a week or two ago. Dunno the store rotation schedule, if there is one, but that’s about how long ago it was.
Friend runs that, I’m tempted to do the same. Light armour with medium armour protection, what’s not to like.

I’ve been running the 30% less recoil/50% explosive resist medium armour since they fixed the stats. It feels like it would be great, but I’m not going to survive a misguided Eagle airstrike and it doesn’t seem to stop me getting deleted by bots with rockets, even with a shield, so yeah…

Always Be Moving feels like a better defensive strategy anyway.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Well I don’t know what’s happened but it’s crashing very loving mission I play today. Hasn’t happened before

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Welp, after a couple times being kicked at extraction without a word said I think I'm done with this game for a few weeks. Wish I'd ever have anyone join when I was hosting a lobby so I could actually finish a few missions.

Ah well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Welp, after a couple times being kicked at extraction without a word said I think I'm done with this game for a few weeks. Wish I'd ever have anyone join when I was hosting a lobby so I could actually finish a few missions.

Ah well.

join the discord

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
My team was despairing in chat about the super samples they hadn't managed to get onto the shuttle, and all three alt f4'd as it took off. But they'd lost track of who was carrying the samples. They'd managed to get all five onboard before they ragequit. They'd been getting into terrible robot snowball fights over nothing all game while I did the objectives, and eventually we ran out of reinforcements trying to get the samples out of the robot ball. What a waste of effort! I watched the samples count up in the victory screen by myself

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GlyphGryph posted:

Ah well.

it’s gonna happen but just reload into a new one and keep diving

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Extra impact grenades and autocannon accuracy goes brrrr

From a post i found:

Extra padding is straight up just extra armor for that armor set, explosive resist is just that - it cuts explosive incoming damage by half - but you can still get nailed for full damage by the impact of rockets from devastators, for example.

Huh, interesting that stacking armor has mathematically diminishing returns to compensate for the fact that each percentage of total damage reduction is of greater value.

Either way, for light armor an extra 16% damage reduction seems not worth it compared to extra grenades and recoil reduction, extra stims, or extra throwing. That doesn't seem enough to save you from 1-hits and more stims will help more for chip damage. I think, that's all feeling.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

join the discord

I got the goondiver list from there and almost none of the friend codes seem to work :(

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

This is going to be a dumb question but why would you not wear the armour suit that gives you a FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE NOT TO DIE WHEN YOU GET WHACKED? Feel free to explain to me why I’m an idiot

It's not a bad choice, in fact it's quite good. I just use other armors because:

• It's only on medium armor and I like mobility.
  • I like medical armor more because you you can huff drugs and be invincible/have infinite stamina for 4 seconds when you get shot, giving you a better chance to gtfo.
  • I like stealth armor more because I rarely get shot at in the first place wearing it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

smellmycheese posted:

I got the goondiver list from there and almost none of the friend codes seem to work :(

I think the idea is more that we can ping for a group and quite reliably get a full squad of Internet Weirdos on discord voice for spreading propaganda and/or democracy

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

smellmycheese posted:

The codes update every few days it seems don’t trust it. You go in there say “is anyone diving” and wait 5 - 10 minutes depending on the time of day. Generally people run up to 7s casually.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ah I see

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m thoroughly enjoying playing the game with pubs. I can only imagine a proper goon game on good comms would be fantastic

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Try using the steam codes, those are a lot more reliable.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://x.com/helldivers2hq/status/1774302603129610481?s=46

I have no idea if this true but hmmm. Scorcher feels mostly useless to me

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Giving pubbies hugs is the most Democratic thing one can do in this game.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Someone reached out for a hug after a dire extract and left ship when I went for it.

No more hugs :argh:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

smellmycheese posted:

0% chance to die if i coby that airstrike from the other side of the map

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

smellmycheese posted:

I’m thoroughly enjoying playing the game with pubs. I can only imagine a proper goon game on good comms would be fantastic

its apretty good time

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
throwing airstrikes at my feet is the cool way to throw them

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

smellmycheese posted:

Well I don’t know what’s happened but it’s crashing very loving mission I play today. Hasn’t happened before

Apparently the Arc weapons are still bugged and cause crashes, so that might be the reason if you are running them. This includes the Tesla tower.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Anecdotal but that thing about DoT only working properly for the host seems to be true. My friend who is almost always the host tried orbital gas for the first time last night and it seemed far more deadly as a breach sealer than when I use it as a guest.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hwurmp posted:

join the discord

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

I had goons carrying me in bots 7 yesterday. They were very nice about my constant deaths and lack of kills. It's a wonderful community

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Spookydonut posted:

0% chance to die if i coby that airstrike from the other side of the map

Kobe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's the best ship name

I've seen King of Democracy and Fist of Family Values, those are both pretty quality

my own ship was Pride of Pride for a long while but now it's Bringer of Science

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Aipsh posted:

https://x.com/helldivers2hq/status/1774302603129610481?s=46

I have no idea if this true but hmmm. Scorcher feels mostly useless to me
Scorcher is explosive, not incendiary. It also slaps.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I've seen King of Democracy and Fist of Family Values, those are both pretty quality

I'm running the Emperor of Equality currently.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Page 420 Sovereign of Audacity Blaze It

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Black Noise posted:

Page 420 Sovereign of Audacity Blaze It

He is rizzin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Mine is the Harbinger of Democracy

It just sounds ominous