Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

Did not have that problem even a little bit, sounds like it was on your theater's end.

I found it really fun, but it kinda lost me when the villain dragged her to his lab to reveal his evil plans. Really killed the momentum and the vibe. I did like the ending, but that screaming was.... idk. tbh it sounded like Sydney Sweeney going Super Saiyan but hey, that itself is pretty hard to do so props.

I stepped out to use the bathroom during the prior scene. The men's room was right next to my theater, I was back in a flash, but when I returned they were suddenly in the evil laboratory and the priest was monologuing and I was like "well that escalated quickly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

You really need to watch The Warriors. It's incredibly 70s to the point of being a time capsule, but the score rocks and it's one of the few movies that benefits from using actual people as actors in minor roles. It's even horror-adjacent - Walter Hill passed on directing Alien to make it, and it co-stars David Patrick Kelly from The Crow. I've got it on disc, so if you want to hit me up for a watch party some time let me know.

Yeah, The Warriors is a must-see.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Warriors rules. Speaking of pulpy cool thrill rides, there's a lot of overlap in thrillers etc and horror, I think you fine folks would like 52 Pick-Up by Frankenheimer (based on an Elmore Leonard book). Also, Killer Joe by Friedkin, that movie is wild. I like to do a Freakin' Friedkin Frankenheimer double feature.

And on The Warriors, Walter Hill has such a cool filmography, Streets of Fire is must see too, and the soundtrack with tunes by Jim Steinman is must hear.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've had 52 Pick Up on my list for a minute so I'm gonna bump it up based on the rec.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice! I saw it for the first time in the past couple years, so cool.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Martman posted:

Did not have that problem even a little bit, sounds like it was on your theater's end.

I found it really fun, but it kinda lost me when the villain dragged her to his lab to reveal his evil plans. Really killed the momentum and the vibe. I did like the ending, but that screaming was.... idk. tbh it sounded like Sydney Sweeney going Super Saiyan but hey, that itself is pretty hard to do so props.

I mean the alternative would be her screaming twice and then birthing a baby, which my wife would just roll her eyes at because births are always one of those things that are shortened for time in movies. I liked that her scene went on uncomfortably long. I also liked that the villain was a mad scientist because I feel like we don't get that enough, despite the fact that men doing experiments on women without their knowledge or consent is a way more present threat in the world than god knocking someone up

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Null of Undefined posted:

I mean the alternative would be her screaming twice and then birthing a baby, which my wife would just roll her eyes at because births are always one of those things that are shortened for time in movies. I liked that her scene went on uncomfortably long. I also liked that the villain was a mad scientist because I feel like we don't get that enough, despite the fact that men doing experiments on women without their knowledge or consent is a way more present threat in the world than god knocking someone up

Yeah, I gotta say after seeing it today I liked that a lot. I was expecting another spooky, paranormal evil nuns movie and I even assumed she was carrying the anti-christ when it was revealed she was pregnant without any sex. When the reveal happened this was just insane people trying to bring about their own baby Jesus and there wasn't anything actually supernatural happening, I actually really happy with the twist. They don't even confirm if that was a real nail of the cross it's simply some relic randomly brought to them they assume is real.

On an unrelated note, after seeing the previews in the theater today before Immaculate. There's another quiet place movie coming out? Who is demanding these things?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm a total slut for found footage/mockumentary horror movies. The Blair Witch Project (the first one!), Paranormal Activity (the first one!), [REC] (the first one!), and even The Last Exorcist...love them.

So on Easter Sunday of course, we packed our son into the mini-van and headed out to the theater to see Late Night With the Devil.

The ingredients are tremendous. A fake 70s talk show, Bohemian Grove, a James Randi stand-in, demonic possession, and on and on. So what do the directors do? THEY BOTCHED EVERY SINGLE loving ASPECT.

First off, a found footage movie lives and dies with the illusion that what you are watching isn't scripted. This movie never feels like anything but acted, in some cases horribly so. The James Randi character is the worst example, a scenery-chewing, overacted cartoon character.

The segments of the fake talk show itself don't work but the "behind-the-scenes" parts are the worst offender, not just in the performances and dialog, which are bad, but in the very execution of the shots. What are supposed to be raw, BTS shots are instead perfectly mic'ed and shot no matter where they occur in the studio from what at times felt like three or four angles. So the scenes are cut and look exactly like a standard narrative movie and ladle out exposition where they could have been imperfect witnesses to give us pieces of the puzzle and left something to the imagination.

The scares? There are none. There's some boiler-plate demon-possession stuff and gore, but we've seen it all done before and much much better. I'm easy to spook, and this movie didn't get me once, not a jump, not a chill, nothing.

I'm so pissed, it's like a clever person came up with a great idea and then two incompetents stole it and ruined it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Watching Imaginary. Can't believe they lucked into a kid performance this good, in a film that's so otherwise unremarkably mediocre.
That remake/requel of Children of the Corn from a couple of years ago was like this too. It's a pretty crappy movie, but I have to cheerlead for it because the girl who plays Eden (basically Isaac from the original) is just so drat good.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
One more Horror bad-rear end to mention:

Reggie "The Reckless" Winter. Kid doesn't know or care if that dude is the O.G. Jason Voorhees or not, that chump is gonna get smacked with a front-end loader.

(And then when the actor heard he was wanted back in the sequel, just to kill the character off, he waved his hand at them. "No, I'm good.")

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

On an unrelated note, after seeing the previews in the theater today before Immaculate. There's another quiet place movie coming out? Who is demanding these things?

I like em. Most of the setpieces hit on the same vibe as the Raptor's in the Kitchen sequence that none of the Jurassic Park sequels have. Just really solid creature features.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Doltos posted:

You didn't like a movie I liked? lol, no, just no

This but unironically

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

This but unironically

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm a total slut for found footage/mockumentary horror movies. The Blair Witch Project (the first one!), Paranormal Activity (the first one!), [REC] (the first one!), and even The Last Exorcist...love them.

So on Easter Sunday of course, we packed our son into the mini-van and headed out to the theater to see Late Night With the Devil.

The ingredients are tremendous. A fake 70s talk show, Bohemian Grove, a James Randi stand-in, demonic possession, and on and on. So what do the directors do? THEY BOTCHED EVERY SINGLE loving ASPECT.

First off, a found footage movie lives and dies with the illusion that what you are watching isn't scripted. This movie never feels like anything but acted, in some cases horribly so. The James Randi character is the worst example, a scenery-chewing, overacted cartoon character.

The segments of the fake talk show itself don't work but the "behind-the-scenes" parts are the worst offender, not just in the performances and dialog, which are bad, but in the very execution of the shots. What are supposed to be raw, BTS shots are instead perfectly mic'ed and shot no matter where they occur in the studio from what at times felt like three or four angles. So the scenes are cut and look exactly like a standard narrative movie and ladle out exposition where they could have been imperfect witnesses to give us pieces of the puzzle and left something to the imagination.

The scares? There are none. There's some boiler-plate demon-possession stuff and gore, but we've seen it all done before and much much better. I'm easy to spook, and this movie didn't get me once, not a jump, not a chill, nothing.

I'm so pissed, it's like a clever person came up with a great idea and then two incompetents stole it and ruined it.

I really don't think the "this movie is a cursed TV show/lost tape" conceit will ever be beaten by Ghostwatch. Maybe the first Blair Witch, but I saw it too long after the fact for it to really stick.

If you're a fan of horror mockumentaries, it's great - it was shown on Halloween on the BBC in the early 90s presented as a fairly lighthearted take on their studio/location crew magazine format. The main cast are all known as presenters rather than actors and poo poo goes sideways bad.

It's available on disc, but the BBC won't show it again as it traumatised a bunch of people and allegedly contributed to one person taking their own life. And honestly, it's clearly over 30 years old at this point but still makes for an effective ghost story, even allowing itself to be understated and "boring" for a while.

Also worth watching is any of the surviving footage from the fallout, like an audience of irate grown adults furious that the BBC "fooled" them or describing their kids vomiting in terror.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 1, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Disco Pope posted:

I really don't think the "this movie is a cursed TV show/lost tape" conceit will ever be beaten by Ghostwatch. Maybe the first Blair Witch, but I saw it too long after the fact for it to really stick.

If you're a fan of horror mockumentaries, it's great - it was shown on Halloween on the BBC in the early 90s presented as a fairly lighthearted take on their studio/location crew magazine format. The main cast are all known as presenters rather than actors and poo poo goes sideways bad.

That's not actually true - Craig Charles was and is best known for his long time lead role in SF sitcom Red Dwarf. However, the BBC like to use actors as presenters so an actor being front and centre in a purportedly straight light entertainment show was far from unusual.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jedit posted:

That's not actually true - Craig Charles was and is best known for his long time lead role in SF sitcom Red Dwarf. However, the BBC like to use actors as presenters so an actor being front and centre in a purportedly straight light entertainment show was far from unusual.

That is true, but I fudged things a bit for simplicity - he plays "himself", rather than a character. And of course, the minor roles and the family are played by actors. I think it was in a retrospective I read about one viewer who was watching it alone as a kid and getting anxious but recognised one of the experts on the show as an actress from a currently airing advert and figured out that it wasn't real.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Disco Pope posted:

It's available on disc, but the BBC won't show it again as it traumatised a bunch of people and allegedly contributed to one person taking their own life. And honestly, it's clearly over 30 years old at this point but still makes for an effective ghost story, even allowing itself to be understated and "boring" for a while.

Also worth watching is any of the surviving footage from the fallout, like an audience of irate grown adults furious that the BBC "fooled" them or describing their kids vomiting in terror.

Ghostwatch is a always the last movie I watch on halloween, it's what my wife and I use to close out the season right before going to bed. It's an absolute masterpiece. Finally got it on bluray when it came out 2 (I think) years ago.

Also, The Eggs-travaganza is completed. In total I watched 11 easter movies over 3 days.

1. Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill! - bad bad
2. Critters 2: The Main Course - good
3. Bunny the Killer Thing - bad bad
4. Little Witches - good bad
5. Beaster Day: Here Comes Peter Cottonhell - funny good bad
6. The Being - good
7. Rottentail - gross good bad
8. Easter Bloody Easter - fine but more musical numbers than I was expecting
9. Bless the Child - A movie about a literal living christ child
10. Bunnyman - Basically a remake of texas chainsaw with some jeepers creepers thrown in
11. Immaculate - good

So all and all my brain is now a cadbury egg and I'm sick of easter and I didn't even get to Night of the Lepus so I guess I'll have to save that for next year.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I saw Immaculate on Easter in a crowded theater and a (presumably, based on voice) middle aged woman sternly announced, 'You can't do that!' at the end of the movie, and that really bumped it up a couple points for me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

I really don't think the "this movie is a cursed TV show/lost tape" conceit will ever be beaten by Ghostwatch.

I haven't had a chance to see the whole thing but I've seen a good number of clips from it in various Youtube videos and it looks fantastic. I'll have to get it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't go out and see movies this weekend, but I did watch The Wailing

That was fuckin something alright

I'd been avoiding it because the Netflix blurb made it sound like a zombie flick and it is decidedly not that (except for the brief moments when it is)

The Korean shamanic exorcism scene not actually an exorcism, apparently it's a loving hex was awesome and the music is still stuck in my head days after. And the director has some stones for putting that gag with the shovel in the middle of... all the rest of it.

As much as I enjoyed it, though, I did have this moment at the end where I was like Hey, was this movie where the subtitles of the characters' dialogue always refer to the Japanese drifter as "the Jap", and it tries to telegraph a swerve where he was innocent and the cops were a bunch of bumpkin racists, but no, in the end he turns out to be the actual devil, was - was that racist? I know Japan has some fuckin history in Korea, and to my mind if an American movie had the only Japanese guy be the devil I'd be like, wait, what are we trying to say here, but I guess it was a lot more popular in actual Japan than anyone expected so maybe I'm just being oversensitive.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 1, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I saw Immaculate on Easter in a crowded theater and a (presumably, based on voice) middle aged woman sternly announced, 'You can't do that!' at the end of the movie, and that really bumped it up a couple points for me.

I do have to admit when they were leading up to that I was going “No chance in hell, she’s gonna slam it beside the baby. They’re not actually going to do it.” until the rock hit and the screen cut to black. It took me until the credits to realize they actually did it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bracketology always has some more movies if you're done with your Easter marathon. We rise every Sunday... or Monday.

Where We’re At:
1. (mbd’s Older Than America) Jeff Barnaby’s Blood Quantum vs. 8. (Kangra’s A Crate of Crichton Fright Freight) Frank Marshall’s Arachnophobia
10. (Weapon X’s NYC Grime Connection) Frank Henenlotter’s Basket Case vs. 15. M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Apr 8th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Spring Break!

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh man, that's 4 for 4 for great movies, that's gonna be some tough picks.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I do have to admit when they were leading up to that I was going “No chance in hell, she’s gonna slam it beside the baby. They’re not actually going to do it.” until the rock hit and the screen cut to black. It took me until the credits to realize they actually did it

When it became clear what that final scene was leading up to, I started grinning with approval and nodding up and down while leaning in with anticipation. I'm certain the other theatergoers thought I was a lunatic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Carpenter doesn’t have any mid movies. They are either masterpieces or interesting disasters. Except maybe The Ward but that movie barely exists.

Also massive disagree that Prince of Darkness and Halloween are bad lol just no.
Starman is pretty mid tbh. It's not even that interesting imo, it's just like sitcom alien guy being like WHAT IS LOVE
Not even Jeff Bridges remotely saves that poo poo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm honestly hard pressed to remember the last time a movie genuinely scared the living poo poo out of me. Could just be me getting old or something. I've enjoyed tons of horror films over the last decade or two but still can't come up with a terrifying recommendation when I'm discussing stuff I've seen with other horror fans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror movies aren’t scary to me they’re just cool. So I always find that criticism pretty useless honestly

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The sole moment in the last 5 years I’ve been scared was the scene in Nope where OJ is in the barn and the kids show up. There’s just something about the slow movement/out of focus nature of it all.. That one had the hair on my arms standing on end, and I felt actual fear.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CelticPredator posted:

Horror movies aren’t scary to me they’re just cool. So I always find that criticism pretty useless honestly

Fair enough. Probably I just scared easier as a kid so I remember that feeling. I didn't mean to offer "useless criticism" or anything, just miss those visceral scares is all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh I wasn’t talking about you directly. I just think when people say “it wasn’t even scary!!!” to me it means nothing and isn’t a good criticism that I can relate too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hope’s alien scene did creep me out. And that’s fun. I did let out a yelp when the alien was hanging upside down lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The scene in Nope where he's hiding under the table as the chimp approaches in POV got me properly tense too.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The scene in Nope where he's hiding under the table as the chimp approaches in POV got me properly tense too.

Yes, this was the last time I can remember being properly freaked out in a movie theater. I had to look at the sides of the screen, something I haven’t felt the need to do in a long time.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that scene got under my skin as well. It's pretty rare I squirm in my seat at the theater, but that was just a nightmare.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't think any horror of the last 10 years has remotely been scary but that's surprisingly a distant requirement for horror movies to have

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I got angry when I saw Nope because I loved the chimp scenes and the friend I went to see it with was complaining about movies adding "poo poo like that that has nothing to do with the plot and just pads the runtime"

Like, I over analyze every movie I watch, it's my curse, but that bit was hardly irrelevant to the plot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s what the entire plot is about.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I agree with all of this and would only add that they put in a lot of backstory that add nothing to the movie. A desperate TV hosts brings on a guest who's possessed by the devil is a great concept on its own and nothing is added by making him part of a cult that sacrificed his wife for his success , if that's even what that was. They didn't develop it anyway.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Nope rules.

So many things contribute to movies not being “scary” anymore. Age, experience, setting, the world around us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think that’s a bad thing.