Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

duodenum posted:

Should have bought a Fractal FM9 Mk2 Turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

...or even an HX Stomp and use that Peavey as your make-it-loud-inator.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

duodenum posted:

Should have bought a Boss Katana.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I should have specified, the peavey is just a 2x12 cab. Maybe I should buy 2 katanas and stack them, that must be better than just 1!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PathAsc posted:

I should have specified, the peavey is just a 2x12 cab. Maybe I should buy 2 katanas and stack them, that must be better than just 1!

There's a version that you can plug into any sized cab you want

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Is the Katana a meme or something? I used one to demo a guitar yesterday and it seemed fine?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a meme because it's the best price vs performance and options package, so I tell people to get one instead of an amp and a bunch of pedals. It's been so much of that it's now a running joke

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Looking for that "perfect" MIAB pedal is a time-honored hobby. You'll never find it, but it serves as a powerful distraction in these troubled times.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

As brother luchadornado states there is an idea of the perfect MiaB pedal but true ascended masters know there are only perfect pedalS plural. Gotta catch em all.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

luchadornado posted:

Looking for that "perfect" MIAB pedal is a time-honored hobby. You'll never find it, but it serves as a powerful distraction in these troubled times.

The vox valvenergy series are pretty close to perfect

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Meme in a Box

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
buried iyyyyn the MIX

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Armacham posted:

The vox valvenergy series are pretty close to perfect

No lie, I was about to start building a Riot clone with a mids control this morning before I remembered I had the Copperhead. They're my vote for most underrated pedals ever - Vox's sales and marketing team fumbled hard.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a version that you can plug into any sized cab you want

Oh, I have nothing against them, I just want something not that is all. It's not that important, just wishful thinking because dumb lizard brain go brrrr.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Ron used the black Vox V847 wahs and still had one during the reunion tour. Nothing particularly rare - knowing what they were like in the early days he probably just grabbed the cheapest one he could find. Great sound though.

Thanks for this!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I like the Arturia stuff and have a keylab 61

Purchased this, thanks! Looks like it does everything I want to do with it. I'll surely have a million questions on how to map poo poo in Logic but I'll definitely take that to the other thread.

Quick guitar-related question: When y'all are mixing harmonized leads (let's say Iron Maiden or something like A7X for the sake of argument) how hard do you pan them? I never like both straight down the middle, and hard left/right always sounds best to me but I always worry about one or the other getting lost if people aren't in a good stereo situation.

Also my harmonized leads always sound like they're VERY slightly out of tune and it drives me crazy, despite making sure I'm in tune, checking intonation, and sometimes even flex pitching them. Wonder if that's a modeling thing or if I'm just way worse at lead than I thought.

E: Here's an example. I was recording Ocean Ave for my 2003 riff video and I played the vocals/harmonies on guitar: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0uGMxA7WM9TpqFSKq419y5qVQQdJ0jr/view?usp=sharing

Or just tell me how the mix could be better because I have no idea what I'm doing.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 1, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For harmonized leads you can always try a 60% pan instead of the usual 85-95% that the rhythm sections are usually panned in a dual guitar setup.

Also the first Van Halen record has the guitar 100% panned to one side so who gives a poo poo about non stereo users

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the first Ramones album or two has the guitars entirely in one channel and the bass entirely in the other.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My April Fool's project was a 20+ year overdue acoustic guitar update to a very early example of intertextuality from an internet meme.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The classics are classics for a reason, well done

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So this is loving weird and I'd love a few more sets of eyes on it. I bought a 2017 MiK Strandberg Boden OS7 from a Japanese seller on ebay recently. It showed up today and from the looks of it the previous owner tried to compensate for his wild picking style by spraying some lovely clear coat on the lower half of the guitar:

You can see where it looks like they masked off the pickups here:

As you can imagine it did gently caress-all to protect the finish:

Ironically the pick damage doesn't bother me at all, but the weird finish is kinda driving me nuts. If I'm correct that the previous owner used a spray-on clearcoat, could I remove that layer without damaging the satin finish underneath?

The guitar sounds and plays amazing, and I'd really rather not return/refund it because I'm in love with the feel (also this particular model is pretty hard to find).

Thoughts?

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2024

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if it works, sounds good, and plays amazing, and you don't speak japanese (i may assume) i would just go with it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So this is loving weird and I'd love a few more sets of eyes on it. I bought a 2017 MiK Strandberg Boden OS7 from a Japanese seller on ebay recently. It showed up today and from the looks of it the previous owner tried to compensate for his wild picking style by spraying some lovely clear coat on the lower half of the guitar:

You can see where it looks like they masked off the pickups here:

As you can imagine it did gently caress-all to protect the finish:

Ironically the pick damage doesn't bother me at all, but the weird finish is kinda driving me nuts. If I'm correct that the previous owner used a spray-on clearcoat, could I remove that layer without damaging the satin finish underneath?

The guitar sounds and plays amazing, and I'd really rather not return/refund it because I'm in love with the feel (also this particular model is pretty hard to find).

Thoughts?

just rub a satin urethane over it yourself very carefully

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Spanish Manlove posted:

just rub a satin urethane over yourself very carefully

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A bit slower please. That’s it.

Also lol “buffered bypass” listed as a feature. Yea bro that’s how the delay keeps going when you click it off.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 1, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

just rub a satin urethane over it yourself very carefully

:hmmyes:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Oof that Strandberg issue is weird. It looks like they may have attempted to deal with the shine over time on the matte finish in a terrible way.

I’ve never seen a ‘berg with noticeable variance to the coat like that, the matte finish (at least on Indo models) is smooth as hell, and when it starts to get glossy it just starts to feel like a gloss clear coat in spots.

If that’s what it is, I can kinda get why they did it. The gloss spots can be pretty unsightly if you want a “uniform” looking guitar, but a better solution would’ve been to buff it until it’s all gloss, not add some extra nonsense on top.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if it plays and sound great and the only issue is someone's wack refinish job that's just a funny relicing story in a decade or two

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Are there any other acoustics out there either new or used/old that have a Fender Kingman style intinable/adjustable saddle?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
There are Gibsons with a literal tune-o-matic on them. SJ-200 for sure.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

MJP posted:

Are there any other acoustics out there either new or used/old that have a Fender Kingman style intinable/adjustable saddle?

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/goya-174-natural-1969-1847644

Late 60s Goya's had individual saddles for each string. You can't really set individual string intonation but you can adjust the height.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
One of Kiesel’s just uses a headless bridge. My buddy has one and I love it. https://www.kieselguitars.com/series/guitar/zeus-acoustic

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Seems the Imgur upload on the app is still broken..

Yay! Both the pick guard and control plate came today, ordered separately on Amazon but they fit together great! No great suprise I'll need to drill new holes to screw them in. Going to see if my guitar tutor can help me with routing space inside and maybe some other bits, and I think I can cut holes for the pups with a scoring too I have around the outline of them.

I think I'm going to take it apart to sand and spray the body, silverburst using Vallejo gloss and metallic paints I have though an airbrush so long as I can find something to finish it with for protection.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

just rub a satin urethane over yourself very carefully

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

When you say 'exact same', do you mean that these guys are OEM for Fender?

Either way, killer value. I will check them out!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No but they are good. Fender pickups could not be simpler to copy.

generic metric
Jul 1, 2008

so new to the thread

After around 10 years of not playing I've started playing again. Currently I have a gibson explorer new century that I bought on a really good deal around 700/800 euros or so. I didn't have any experience so thought whatever it looked cool and I was into metal back then.

I'm never gonna get rid of it but I am searching for a nice small guitar that's easier to carry around for my second go at learning the guitar.

On a marketplace someone is supposedly selling a guitar on behalf of their stepmom and it looks like a cool little fender mustang with a jazzmaster tremolo??

https://imgur.com/a/Lj1abHD

Anyone ever seen a mustang like this? Dont know if it's a scam or some weird partscaster. They state that it has no serial number
The offer now is around 600 in us dollars

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Never a production model (so far as I can find) and with no serial number that's probably at the very least a clone body with maybe a real neck

but probably a knock-off altogether

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The poorly centered neck plate tells me everything I need to know. An American fender would likely never be that far off. My guess is it might be fake or poorly assembled from mixed parts (fake body/real neck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there's no walnut surrounding the truss rod which Im not terribly familiar with mustangs but that's a pretty sure sign of a knockoff neck I think as well, at least not a usa model