Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
There's definitely something to be said for the meekness of climate science in the face of almost certain doom and that something is drat it's good to be enjoying the last sweet treats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

nomad2020 posted:

Minecraft with one of those "every-mod" packs. Just destroying everything in render distance to build a fusion reactor so that you can store the blocks that you tore up.

A friend of mine used to play an awful lot of Terraria, and his crowning achievement was to mine out the entire map and stuff all the blocks in chests. Nothing else left. Well, presumably a few blocks for the chests to sit on, I didn't ask.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The crews bracing themselves for a rise in electric car fires https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-66866327

Live the car, though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't believe this ever got posted here, which would be a surprise but anyway here it is

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00790-6

Are we all doomed? How to cope with the daunting uncertainties of climate change

I especially enjoyed this snippet

quote:

The writer Amitav Ghosh is one of the world’s most insightful thinkers on climate, and a friend of mine. He has argued that existential fears about climate change are actually Western fears about the end of colonial power, because in much of the rest of the world — especially for Indigenous people — “catastrophe has already happened”. For people in richer countries searching for the right way to feel about the climate crisis, it’s worth pondering this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I much less enjoyed this snippet I however

quote:

Personal actions that reduce emissions matter too: although insignificant to the global carbon budget on their own, they create a culture that motivates collective action. I am flying less, eating a mostly vegetarian diet and making other low-carbon choices, and I am talking about those choices

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Slider posted:

graphs can't start going backwards. doesn't make sense

it was on a backward trajectory the entire time, the graph clearly shows this

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

I don't believe this ever got posted here, which would be a surprise but anyway here it is

Are we all doomed? How to cope with the daunting uncertainties of climate change

Oh, so the poors in the brown people countries get the future before us allegedly “rich” Westerners? I see how it is.

Gibson was right, but I assumed we would get the treats first.

*Master Chief gif demanding climate change treats*

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

I decided to wind down my North Sea gas drilling rig, y’know, to do my part.

Egg Moron posted:

it was on a backward trajectory the entire time, the graph clearly shows this

Tenet rear end biosphere.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

quote:

The writer Amitav Ghosh is one of the world’s most insightful thinkers on climate, and a friend of mine. He has argued that existential fears about climate change are actually Western fears about the end of colonial power, because in much of the rest of the world — especially for Indigenous people — “catastrophe has already happened”. For people in richer countries searching for the right way to feel about the climate crisis, it’s worth pondering this.

Generation Dread: Finding Purpose in an Age of Climate Change, Britt Wray posted:

Too often, though, the conversation around eco-anxiety reveals its own amnesia. Only some of us are being forced to grapple with the threat of annihilation—and the emotional weight this carries—for the very first time. For so many people who’ve been marginalized, the oppressiveness of how bad things are is a tale as old as the hills. As a white, cis-gendered, economically secure woman, I have the luxury of dreading the future (in light of problems like climate change) while others already acutely fear the present, and have long been suffering for how they were treated by dominant power systems in the past. Unfortunately, the climate crisis creates a double injustice here, as the most marginalized, those who had the least to do with creating this mess—predominantly poor people of colour—are disproportionately harmed by a warming world.

Eco-anxiety researcher Panu Pihkala says that waking up to the climate and wider ecological crisis is particularly hard for middle-class citizens of industrialized nations because “the world is revealed to be much more tragic and fragile than people thought it was.” This profound disruption, which can be as severe as an internal shattering, sends them into a grief-stricken process of mourning the lost future they believed would come—a future of ecological stability. This then erodes their sense of security. As more and more people who’ve been living comfortable lives wake up feeling eco-anxious, that awareness comes with a risk. If we only turn inward, to recognize this pain within ourselves, instead of looking outward, to glean a sense of implication in the far-reaching and unequal consequences of the climate crisis and our agency to improve the outcomes, little will change. Better futures will be entirely missed if we get stuck in fear and dread.

[...]

Climate anxiety occurs across generational divides, appearing with particular intensity among the young, and it is marked especially clearly where racial and class privilege intersect. As journalist Abby Higgins writes in the New Republic, the “sudden proliferation of collective mourning” among citizens of the Global North “can obscure the stakes—not the stakes as they have suddenly become, but the stakes as they always were.” Always were, for example, in Turkana, Kenya, where she reports that a lake which more than 300,000 people depend on is drying up. One might imagine that climate anxiety would be rampant in such a place; however, the term is not as prevalent in parts of the globe where the climate crisis is already most felt. One study found that the only people typing “climate anxiety” into their search bars were in Canada, the United Kingdom, America, and Australia. Its striking absence from Internet searches in the Global South (including the English-speaking parts) calls into question the suitability of a term like “climate anxiety” to describe people’s feelings there, where myriad other social injustices, legacies of environmental violence, and poverty intensify the psychological distress people are experiencing.

But it would be a mistake to conclude from this finding that this term isn’t applicable in the Global South, period. Although early discussions of climate and eco-anxiety have tended to focus on citizens of the Global North, which adds to the sense that they apply to a privileged segment of humanity, the breadth of focus is starting to change as more researchers become interested in the field. Several are now looking at how these concepts tracks in the Global South as well as how they land in communities of colour within the Global North.

Jennifer Uchendu is a young Nigerian climate activist who has studied eco-anxiety in London as well as her hometown of Lagos. She sees clear differences between how young Brits relate to eco-anxiety and how she and her friends back home do. Young people in the UK, she says, often feel guilty about being citizens of an industrialized nation that’s making the problem worse and have a troubling sense that they can’t do anything to fix it. Young Nigerians, on the other hand, often feel angry about the environmental injustices and climate impacts they’re already experiencing, as well as fatigued by the issue. However, learning during her studies that “eco-anxiety” was a term brought Jennifer massive relief. It explained why she was burning out on her activism with the environmental organization she founded called SustyVibes, and why she was losing faith in her work even though passion had always previously driven her efforts. She told me, “Every time I talk about eco-anxiety on social media, young people can immediately relate to it. They know what I mean. I remember when I came back home and talked to our volunteers, they were like, ‘Oh my God, it has a name, it’s a thing, people have figured it out!’ And that was exactly how I felt in the UK, realizing that this is actually valid. I think that’s the word—validating these feelings and saying I’m not crazy, I’m not overthinking, I’m not taking it too far. This is a real problem.”

It is in the United States, though, that the conversation about climate anxiety being an unbearably white phenomenon has really got off the ground. In Scientific American, professor of Environmental Studies at Humboldt State University Sarah Jaquette Ray writes, “Climate anxiety can operate like white fragility, sucking up all the oxygen in the room and devoting resources toward appeasing the dominant group.” White fragility refers to the defensiveness and discomfort white people often express when confronted with the traumatic impacts of white supremacy on people of colour, which their privilege protects them from feeling the need to dismantle. In other words, it is what’s on display if white people react from a bruised sense of self when faced with the anger of people of colour, rather than focusing on the real harms that racial inequality causes in their lives. It is damaging because it leads to white outbursts or white shutdowns, both of which prevent the kinds of dialogue and partnership that are required for racial justice to be achieved. Ray thinks that climate anxiety is like white fragility in that it can cause white people to turn inward instead of looking outward to understand who they are in this uneven and ongoing cataclysm.

Navel gazing isn’t the best route for scrutinizing the role one plays in upholding larger systems that make people of colour disproportionately vulnerable. Ray makes the good point that racial inequality and the climate crisis need to be healed at the same time because they are inextricably intertwined. Hop Hopkins of the Sierra Club underlines this relationship well: “We will never survive the climate crisis without ending white supremacy…You can’t have climate change without sacrifice zones, and you can’t have sacrifice zones without disposable people, and you can’t have disposable people without racism.”

[...]

ANTHROPOGENIC CLIMATE CHANGE is commonly regarded as a consequence of human development, a phenomenon that results in rising temperatures due to increased greenhouse gases in the atmosphere emitted by industrial activity. But Indigenous and anti-colonial scholars have shown how the climate crisis is also an exponential amplification of the environmental harms inflicted upon Indigenous peoples for more than five hundred years. Global warming is not only a natural result of burning fossil fuels, it is an extension and outcome of colonization as well.

European colonization of the Americas is inextricably connected to the dispossession of Indigenous peoples of their land, and to the global expansion of fossil fuel use. For example, before the Industrial Revolution, southern China and northwest Europe were comparable in their material consumption, including the use of coal. European annexation of the Americas allowed the continent to massively transcend its physical boundaries and propel an extraordinary inflow of cheap raw materials from Indigenous lands for industrial processes, including exploitable coal reserves. People stolen from Africa, enslaved, and forced into labour for the creation of the “new world” were indispensable assets. The Industrial Revolution evolved from these expanding conditions for European productivity, as did the bedrock of unequal social relations between white, Black, and Indigenous peoples.

Settler colonialism profoundly disrupts the intimate relationships of Indigenous communities with plants, animals, water, and minerals. Alongside the intentional slaughter of Indigenous peoples to enforce settler control in places like my home country of Canada, there was and is the decimation and invasion of ecosystems and species that Indigenous peoples consider kin. This is the deep environmental impact of colonization—development for some, destruction for the rest—which to this day informs the emotional state of our world. We still see the effects of this history all around us, and we’ll only be able to improve the situation if we clearly understand where these traumas—to the land, to species, to people—come from.

Though many Indigenous peoples died as a direct consequence of colonization, those who survived had to learn to adapt amidst new environmental and social pressures. This is why Kyle Whyte, an environmental justice researcher, activist, and member of the Potawatomi nation, notes that as the fear of climate chaos escalates amidst the public at large, along with concerns about how to cope, for many Indigenous peoples, this all feels like déjà vu. What we’re dealing with is a cyclical repetition, but this time around, we’re all affected.

[...]

The emergence of something else, even when all that surrounds us feels toxic and oppressive, has led to many better things for people throughout history. The Nigerian-American philosopher Olúfẹ́mi O. Táíwò is a scholar of climate colonialism, and though it horrifies him to see how this phenomenon is ramping up and exacerbating deadly divides between the world’s haves and have-nots, he doesn’t collapse into despair. Why not? As a member of the African diaspora, he feels that his people actually have it better now than they have had it for the last five hundred years. As he told me, “Yes, tomorrow looks dire, but my ancestors dealt with the transatlantic slave trade and Jim Crow and colonial apartheid. And while what’s happening today is neo-colonial and is not in any way just, it is in fact not as bad as things have been for us. And so, there is a kind of ‘sky is falling’ mentality that is precluded from that political perspective.” Giving up just because it is hard right now is not viable; history provides reasonable assurance that doing so would forgo many better things that are yet to come.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Mar 30, 2024

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Motivating collective action by not flushing the toilet.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RIP Syndrome posted:

A friend of mine used to play an awful lot of Terraria, and his crowning achievement was to mine out the entire map and stuff all the blocks in chests. Nothing else left. Well, presumably a few blocks for the chests to sit on, I didn't ask.

What the hell, this seems like the opposite of how i'd have played it, when i was playing it we'd just kinda mess around and build a cool house or w/e. Occasionally a creepy monster would show up?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I decided to wind down my North Sea gas drilling rig, y’know, to do my part.

lol yeah

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What the hell, this seems like the opposite of how i'd have played it, when i was playing it we'd just kinda mess around and build a cool house or w/e. Occasionally a creepy monster would show up?

Kinda same, I'd just build a bunker and sit in it congratulating myself on the creepy monsters not getting in (domes are hard to build).

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Sort of like the recent conversation about the ever-earlier blooming cherry blossoms in Kyoto, I just saw a bunch of goslings following their parents around on a pond near me. That's at least a month early.

Undoubtedly hypocritical for me to care about them seeing as the adults are demonic and my cousins will be blasting them out of the sky in a year and a half but drat

Good luck little gooses

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Microplastics posted:

If we all email this person and tell them to overdose without having a hit of narcan on hand, could this be considered “small personal actions leading to collective action”?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Log off

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Lizzo is in pain right now. This is erasure.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Microplastics posted:

I liked this book by that author

The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable is a 2016 non-fiction book by Indian writer Amitav Ghosh discussing climate change. In it, Ghosh discusses the cultural depictions, history and politics of climate change, and its relationship to colonialism.
I saw him speak in 2019 when he came out with a book called gun island. it was ok but more of a kids book. I bought a copy and had it signed for my nephew to read in 10 years :newlol:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Mercy me: Photos show what humans have done to the planet in the Anthropocene age

its beautiful seeing what humans can accomplish when we all work together

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Wakko posted:

Mercy me: Photos show what humans have done to the planet in the Anthropocene age

its beautiful seeing what humans can accomplish when we all work together

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

they really ended on the most boring libbrain note with that show, completely forgetting their entire setup. I’m glad a handful of belters got a seat at the interplanetary UN to help continue their own exploitation with #bossbitch energy, but how do you loving forget the entire alien conspiracy angle???

I’m assuming the books were better about this

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Sanlav posted:

If you can't accept technology as Jesus, there's a certain kind of person who thinks you are hopelessly naive for worrying about anything. Smart people are working on the problem and you should go consume.

at least the real Jesus freaks understand that nothing is going to save your rear end in this world.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

they really ended on the most boring libbrain note with that show, completely forgetting their entire setup. I’m glad a handful of belters got a seat at the interplanetary UN to help continue their own exploitation with #bossbitch energy, but how do you loving forget the entire alien conspiracy angle???

They knew they were only getting six seasons despite Bezos saving the show and being a fan (guessing he wanted the chump change to give closure to the Protomolecule arc for his personal Buck Rogers adventures), and so they focused on the civil war. The stuff alluded to on the colony world with weird alien stuff is only explained in the novels post-Marco, so I need to read them to finish the story. But yes, it would be like doing GoT and ignoring the White Walkers and never giving any ending to that Outside Context Problem. Actually, that may have been the better ending…

We’re lucky it didn’t just end at S3 when SyFy realised good telly costs money and forgot what Neo-BSG won them. Wrestling more lucrative, I guess.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

Sort of like the recent conversation about the ever-earlier blooming cherry blossoms in Kyoto, I just saw a bunch of goslings following their parents around on a pond near me. That's at least a month early.

Undoubtedly hypocritical for me to care about them seeing as the adults are demonic and my cousins will be blasting them out of the sky in a year and a half but drat

Good luck little gooses

You, of course, are referring to the National Geographic article published last Tuesday, which was entirely original content and did not borrow from anyone (it's a good read, I like the interviews they did): Did you enjoy the cherry blossoms' early peak bloom? It was a warning sign: A 1,200-year record of cherry blossoms shows our current climate is historically unprecedented.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

*Master Chief gif demanding climate change treats*

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Mar 31, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

They knew they were only getting six seasons despite Bezos saving the show and being a fan (guessing he wanted the chump change to give closure to the Protomolecule arc for his personal Buck Rogers adventures), and so they focused on the civil war. The stuff alluded to on the colony world with weird alien stuff is only explained in the novels post-Marco, so I need to read them to finish the story. But yes, it would be like doing GoT and ignoring the White Walkers and never giving any ending to that Outside Context Problem. Actually, that may have been the better ending…

We’re lucky it didn’t just end at S3 when SyFy realised good telly costs money and forgot what Neo-BSG won them. Wrestling more lucrative, I guess.

Hmm. I vaguely knew about the corporate politics struggles the show went through, but thanks for elaborating on it.

I liked most of the performances (I laughed myself into conniptions at how they unceremoniously iced the actor who turned out to be a sex pest) and thought the show had some cool treatment of the tech stuff, but other than the old pirate guy I started to feel like it had lost its welcome with me as it limped to the finish line. I’m also just a curmudgeon so there’s that

poo poo this isn’t TV IV um line go up faster than expected Venus by Tuesday you love to see it (joke aside this thread seems to focus more on EEI/global warming than actual biosphere collapse numbers. minor nitpick)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ignore_Me posted:

Yeah the books are written as a trilogy of trilogies/the show made their big final ending at what's actually just the closing scene of Act 2 in the books. Act 3 then goes on to resolve all the "space fascists" and "mysterious aliens in the walls of reality" plot threads left hanging but it would have been even more expensive to do the CGI/sets for and also it doesn't make billionaires look very good so Amazon canned the actual resolution to the story.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Car Hater posted:

Good luck little gooses

Yeah cherry blossom is great because we have data on it going back to the year 800

https://twitter.com/OurWorldInData/status/1640379934613839874

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

that graph goes downwards seems like we’re actually making the cherry blossoms better

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Hubbert posted:

what is the most biosphere collapse video game
https://geneticjen.medium.com/tane-wo-maku-tori-wonderswan-manual-in-english-b05c13f86c1

Tane wo Maku Tori (たねをまく鳥, seed-sowing bird), is a puzzle game for the WonderSwan where you help a sad bird grow plants so it has enough food to feed its family.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/36829/tane-o-maku-tori/

The raven has made a friend. But sorrow be to this raven, for this fellow avian migrates, and will not return for seasons. Filled with sadness and regret the raven takes wing. As he soars through his lonely world his tears begin to fall... and water dying flowers. At last he knows what he must do until his friend returns, he will make new friends in the flowers. He will help them grow and spread their seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMj61a0lU8

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

https://geneticjen.medium.com/tane-wo-maku-tori-wonderswan-manual-in-english-b05c13f86c1

Tane wo Maku Tori (たねをまく鳥, seed-sowing bird), is a puzzle game for the WonderSwan where you help a sad bird grow plants so it has enough food to feed its family.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/36829/tane-o-maku-tori/

The raven has made a friend. But sorrow be to this raven, for this fellow avian migrates, and will not return for seasons. Filled with sadness and regret the raven takes wing. As he soars through his lonely world his tears begin to fall... and water dying flowers. At last he knows what he must do until his friend returns, he will make new friends in the flowers. He will help them grow and spread their seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMj61a0lU8

I didn’t think this thread could make me cry.

And I was proven right. :downs:

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/kunktation/status/1774213321207529654

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Ignore_Me posted:

They didn't forget but yeah every scene in the last season about the breakaway faction that went to Laconia was just the producers hoping someone would pick up and pay to produce the rest of the show

The books tell the whole story though, yeah

And the transport union wasn't part of the UN...there wasn't even an interplanetary UN at all. The UN was just earth.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Only way to stop CLIMATE CHANGE.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

kaxman posted:

And the transport union wasn't part of the UN...there wasn't even an interplanetary UN at all. The UN was just earth.

You got what I meant though. Token representation.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Only way to stop CLIMATE CHANGE.

Sorry but the Dino is currently too busy Unnazifying Ukraine to do anything about the climate.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1772872668636704939

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

same

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
god I wish that were me

nikosoft