Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
And, worth noting, the WTC rebuild project wasn't noted as having any level of corruption. Just the political and legal arguing delaying any final decisions being made. Once things were locked in, it went up pretty quickly and smoothly.

Those political and legal roadblocks won't exist for the Key Bridge replacement, because it's purely public works, nobody really gives a poo poo what a bridge looks like, and there's no need to fit a memorial that nothing can ever be built on again ever in the middle of the site.

The I-35 Mississippi River bridge collapse killed more than twice as many people as the Key Bridge collapse, and its replacement was completed faster than anticipated -- in 13 months (but it was also not a megaproject like the Key Bridge replacement will be, so the number of months here isn't as important as the fact it was done on a greatly accelerated schedule, successfully). When major interstate bridges come down, replacements get put up pretty quick without a lot of faffing about or corruption.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

It's also not like the bridge just carried hazmat exclusively, it was the best way to get across the bay without going through the city. The tunnels are still there, but they add a lot of extra time to a trip depending on where you're coming from/going to. The bridge definitely needs to be replaced. I have to go meet family today, and the bridge being out is going to add at least half an hour to my trip.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a cable stayed option with a longer span and have the towers on land or way farther out of the channel, just so they can say "Look, it's now impossible for this to happen again." The towers on the Key bridge were outside the channel, and part of salvage operations will be un-grounding the Dali, but obviously there wasn't enough shallows to meaningfully slow down or stop the ship. The various crane barges and salvage ships have arrived, according to local news, and started dismantling the truss structure, but who knows how long that would take. I wonder if anyone has a webcam set up to watch it?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
build a new bridge suspended between two enormous pyramids, cowards. put the pyramids in the water and dare any ship to challenge their might

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
build two new WTC towers on each side of the river and string up the bridge between them

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Instead of a full bridge could they just do a big ramp so vehicles can jump the shipping channel?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Log082 posted:

It's also not like the bridge just carried hazmat exclusively, it was the best way to get across the bay without going through the city. The tunnels are still there, but they add a lot of extra time to a trip depending on where you're coming from/going to. The bridge definitely needs to be replaced. I have to go meet family today, and the bridge being out is going to add at least half an hour to my trip.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a cable stayed option with a longer span and have the towers on land or way farther out of the channel, just so they can say "Look, it's now impossible for this to happen again." The towers on the Key bridge were outside the channel, and part of salvage operations will be un-grounding the Dali, but obviously there wasn't enough shallows to meaningfully slow down or stop the ship. The various crane barges and salvage ships have arrived, according to local news, and started dismantling the truss structure, but who knows how long that would take. I wonder if anyone has a webcam set up to watch it?

From looking at charts the "shallows" were still about 20 feet, you don't get to the chest-deep stuff until you're much closer to shore (but you can still wade out a good couple hundred feet most places in the bay). IIRC it was also peak tide and water levels were running a bit higher than average due to weather as well, so that might not have been enough to meaningfully ground the ship. But at this point there's not a whole lot of reason not to go with a longer cable-stayed span other than the potential cost, but that might not be as big of an issue considering the total length of the bridge complex - this is a perfect opportunity to upgrade the area to 3 lanes of width, especially with the port and nearby distribution centers growing significantly in recent years and likely to continue to grow. A wider span also allows the channel to be widened in the future to accommodate larger ships and more traffic.

For me the bridge was the way I went when I wanted to go south of the city (basically going from 83 to 97) - I'm a bit closer to the east side than the west side, so it was shorter overall, the bridge had a slightly cheaper toll, generally less traffic, and the tunnels just give me anxiety, even if overall the trip was a few miles longer than taking the tunnels. I think people are overstating the hazmat situation - through traffic on 95 has about the same distance to go around the beltway either way, with the main difference being the generally more congested traffic situation on the west side. And the total traffic on the bridge was already relatively low (about a third as much as each of the tunnels individually). The most significant impacts are going to be on:

-Locals south of 95 who commuted on the bridge from one side to the other, now having to detour ~5-10 miles out of the way to go north to the tunnels and then back south again
-Restricted traffic coming out of the local area, particularly out of the port (which is on the north side) headed south. This traffic might have to divert either all the way around the beltway (~55 miles) or take surface streets (just not something you want in general) - same for traffic coming to the port from the south.
-Delivery traffic coming in and out of the distribution center, even if not restricted, is at minimum going to need to contend with additional congestion in the tunnels as well as not having highway access nearly as close as there once was. 695 going north from there should be opened again soon if it's not already, but that's only half access.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
I'm sure a whole lot of federal rules like the Buy America Build America (BABA) steel and other material rules will get suspended and this project will be labeled under disaster recovery somehow

This will be a whole lot less red tape than you'd think

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I'm hearing good things about this B&B Enterprises and their construction projects.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Mozi posted:

build two new WTC towers on each side of the river and string up the bridge between them

Make the hazmat trucks drive across a tightrope like phillipe petit

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Sunshine Skyway Bridge across Tampa Bay got taken out by a ship in 1980 and didn't get a replacement until 1987, but that had the "advantage" of being a double span and only the southbound span was collapsed so they turned the northbound span into a two-way bridge and took their time.

Also, LOL

quote:

Finally, the opening ceremony was set for April 30, 1987. However, on April 29 at about 3:30 p.m., the new bridge's protective bumpers were hit head-on by the Deliverance, a 74-foot (23 m) shrimp boat. The bumper sustained minor damage and the bridge was not affected, but the vessel took on water and was towed out of the channel into shallow waters, where it promptly sank. The opening ceremonies proceeded as scheduled.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Odds are high that it ends up in a SF/Oakland Bay Bridge situation where the DOT proposes a simple, cheap design consisting of piers and a deck gets shot down when the mayor of Oakland decides that he wants a dramatic landmark bridge and adds 10 years and few billion $ to the project.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How about instead of building one big new bridge, they build many small bridges instead

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Build a dam, pump out the harbour, and just build roads.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm going to leave the rebuilding plans to the experts but they should absolutely include a giant truck that can carry ships over land just to give those smug loving boats a taste of their own medicine

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Genuinely, I didn't know all that about the WTC rebuild. I hope you all are right and this ends up being a smooth process.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
20 pages and no mention of indrid cold, that smooth criminal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I'm hearing good things about this B&B Enterprises and their construction projects.

we ain't gotta dream no more man

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I ain’t no suit-wearing businessman like you. Just a commuter, I suppose. And I want my bridge.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Build a dam, pump out the harbour, and just build roads.

And make the sailors pay for it

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
make the mothman pay for it

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

withak posted:

Odds are high that it ends up in a SF/Oakland Bay Bridge situation where the DOT proposes a simple, cheap design consisting of piers and a deck gets shot down when the mayor of Oakland decides that he wants a dramatic landmark bridge and adds 10 years and few billion $ to the project.

I don’t think the mayor of Oakland will have much say this time around.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That doesn't seem like his vibe anyway

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That doesn't seem like his vibe anyway

The mayor of Oakland is a woman.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There have been a few mayors since then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The mayor of Oakland is a woman.

I mean the mayor of Baltimore, he doesn't seem to have the vanity to want the bridge to be symbolic of him

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I think they should build the new bridge here instead

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qET3epxMpfKzhSDTA?g_st=ic

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I'm going to leave the rebuilding plans to the experts but they should absolutely include a giant truck that can carry ships over land just to give those smug loving boats a taste of their own medicine

Portal guns, one on each side of the harbour. Ship comes in and BOOM, right to the other side

No need to risk any structures in the way

We have the tech, just have to get Lord Elon on it

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Kevyn posted:

All those houses are way pricier than you'd think, because they're all on the water.

Dock of the Bay has pretty decent crab pretzels, or at least they did the last time I was there a decade and a half ago.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We do joke about this a lot, but it's kinda true that if that bridge had a gun, none of this would have happened. If the pillars had a defense mechanism like a tomahawk launcher with tactical nukes in the 1-2 kiloton range that ship would have been vaporized before it could do any damage. Make of that what you will

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
can baltimore not use its famous birds to ferry cars across the rivers

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The bridge collapse is a good argument for flying cars

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GABA ghoul posted:

We do joke about this a lot, but it's kinda true that if that bridge had a gun, none of this would have happened. If the pillars had a defense mechanism like a tomahawk launcher with tactical nukes in the 1-2 kiloton range that ship would have been vaporized before it could do any damage. Make of that what you will

ship starts whistling the farmer in the dell, keeps coming for the bridge

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

That bridge was in the game, yo.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The bridge collapse is a good argument for flying cars

i absolutely 100% want to give baltimore drivers cars that fly.

You think it's cool to put on your flashers and stop wherever the gently caress you like now? imagine that in THREE DIMENSIONS.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kevyn posted:

Sorry but don't think they're gonna buy your house for this project, maybe next time

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GABA ghoul posted:

What if they built a bunch of wind turbines, and then reversed them to blow the ship back on course

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

LordArgh posted:

build a new bridge suspended between two enormous pyramids, cowards. put the pyramids in the water and dare any ship to challenge their might

This thread and its deep and considered debate on the pyramids' fortitude kept popping into my head during Godzilla x Kong because there's a monster fight around the pyramids. according to the movie, the pyramids are tissue paper to the monsters

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

GolfHole posted:

did they fix the bridge yet

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I feel like I would see a bridge if I was piloting that boat. I'd probably even be aware that it was there beforehand.

Maybe not, I've never piloted a boat, but it just seems like you'd notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Bridge collapsed, impossible to do anything about that. But a second tragedy is that the ship has been stuck ever since, delaying important sex arse cargo I hear. Can we fix bridge and ship designs such that when (not if) collisions occur, the ship can at least continue after a few minutes, rather than wasting everybody's time?