Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
Shoes go on last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

all this effort and the dipshit is just gonna get hit by a car cause of his beloved nearly-all-black outfit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

all this effort and the dipshit is just gonna get hit by a car cause of his beloved nearly-all-black outfit the driver was looking at their phone

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the weekend warrior with full kit and very expensive carbon bike has been one of the pillars of American cycling culture for a while now

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Carbrained as hell

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

coal rollers can have this one

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

all this effort and the dipshit is just gonna get hit by a car cause of his beloved nearly-all-black outfit

blaming victims because of their clothes ftw

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

my bony fealty posted:

the weekend warrior with full kit and very expensive carbon bike has been one of the pillars of American cycling culture for a while now

I mean I kind of get it. Any hobby I've ever gotten into, I've gone hard. Motorcycling, archery, DJing, photography, drumming, even the bass guitar i never play :( has all been top-tier gear or somewhere close to it. I wonder what drives that, are we so indoctrinated by marketing or is there something else at play?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean I kind of get it. Any hobby I've ever gotten into, I've gone hard. Motorcycling, archery, DJing, photography, drumming, even the bass guitar i never play :( has all been top-tier gear or somewhere close to it. I wonder what drives that, are we so indoctrinated by marketing or is there something else at play?
A lot of it is marketing and drive to be the "most efficient". almost universally most americans are conditioned to think if they just consume the Right Product suddenly they'll find happiness or be good at something with the right product.

tbf carbon fiber bikes ARE nice and if you have the money to blow (i.e. rich dentist or comptuer toucher), why not blow money on it. it's a tangible improvement unlike say buying bespoke gold-plated audio cables or an ivory elephant tooth guitar pick.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I ride a nice bike and like riding a nice bike, but I don't rub lotion on my thighs before going on a ride because my thighs might chafe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I ride a nice bike and like riding a nice bike, but I don't rub lotion on my thighs before going on a ride because my thighs might chafe.

you should, it feels pretty good

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

chafing is really lovely and painful so sympathies there. I've gotten some nasty inner thighs chafes running. don't recommend!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
do aloe instead

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

A lot of it is marketing and drive to be the "most efficient". almost universally most americans are conditioned to think if they just consume the Right Product suddenly they'll find happiness or be good at something with the right product.

tbf carbon fiber bikes ARE nice and if you have the money to blow (i.e. rich dentist or comptuer toucher), why not blow money on it. it's a tangible improvement unlike say buying bespoke gold-plated audio cables or an ivory elephant tooth guitar pick.

My favorite part of talking with my bike guy when we were buying our gravel bikes in 2020
“Want this carbon one for $500 more?”
“Nah, it’s wasted on me”
“Well, it’s wasted on pretty much everyone”

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

this is true. when I did a triathlon last year my bike was in the shop and the rental place had exactly one bike my size, a fancy carbon thing. was a blast to ride. felt like if I crashed the whole thing would come to pieces though.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this is what peak performance looks like

e: handmade in the usa wheels lol

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah that's what I want in my machine parts, the extra tolerances and imperfections of manual labour.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My favorite part of talking with my bike guy when we were buying our gravel bikes in 2020
“Want this carbon one for $500 more?”
“Nah, it’s wasted on me”
“Well, it’s wasted on pretty much everyone”

yeah if you're biking largely for exercise or commuting from x->y, then standard cheapo aluminum or light-frame steel is good enough, plus the extra weight is good for burning calories.

it's only if you're trying to push maximum speed, maximum endurance distance cycling that it would matter. i mean i'd like to have one even if i don't do those things, but definitely not worth it cuz i dont have the money and the money i have is better spent elsewhere. plus it'd just get stolen since i don't live in a house.

that said only a +$500 for a carbon frame is pretty good deal and not a big hobby expense: people routinely drop $2000 a year on new iphone/ipad/macbook models or $100 bar tabs every weekend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want a cheap and sturdy carbon frame, and I don’t care if it’s heavy, but there’s no market for those.

Used frames are a minefield, too.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I want a cheap and sturdy carbon frame, and I don’t care if it’s heavy, but there’s no market for those.

Used frames are a minefield, too.

What's the upside here? Doesn't heavy carbon frame defeat the point?

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
the guy in the video is a douchebag for sure but don't let yourself get backed into a corner. you will want the padded shorts and chamois cream if you ever find yourself doing 100+ km days on the bike.

genericnick posted:

What's the upside here? Doesn't heavy carbon frame defeat the point?

yeah pointless. if you're not worried about weight, go for steel. steel is the correct material for virtually all cycling applications, from high speed roadies to mountain bikes to cargo bikes to beach cruisers to tandems and on and on and on. a vanishingly small percentage of incredibly strong riders want carbon because the weight difference matters in high end races, but for everyone else it's just vanity.

n.b. i say this as the owner of a carbon road bike, already i am eating from the trash can of ideology

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s no market for practical steel bikes, either.

People who buy steel frames are hipster rubes, and framebuilders know it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is "chromoly steel" different from "steel"?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

is "chromoly steel" different from "steel"?

this is a particular range of flavors of steel, with extra chrome and molybdenum based on the name.

there’s thousands of formulations of steel for extremely specific applications

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay. I only ask because the bike that I really like (not that I'm in any market to buy it anytime soon, if ever) is made out of that and I'm wondering if it requires more/special care because of that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay. I only ask because the bike that I really like (not that I'm in any market to buy it anytime soon, if ever) is made out of that and I'm wondering if it requires more/special care because of that.

if anything compared to steels for other purposes it has extra corrosion resistance from both of those alloying elements

looks like it’s used for stuff which you expect to withstand some sudden and strong forces, like roll cages and frames for small vehicles?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
I want a single speed hardtail 29er with tires that won't get flats easy.

is belt better for this?

what about two gears?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

when carbon fiber fails it REALLY fails. Explodes into hundreds of sharp shards. Get an aluminum or light steel frame if you want a consumer light bike.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For all the problems you may have with derailleur chains, singlespeed chains have way less of them. The move to a belt is not getting you that much.

How would you be getting two gears? Hub with integrated gears? Flip‐flop hub? Yeah sure.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i enjoy road cycling (as in the sport where you wear lycra and ride a carbon road bike)… and for that i can only apologise

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I just walk places

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

heated game moment posted:

I just walk places

Like, to your car? Is it parked far away or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just walk places

more like a yikescycle

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah that's what I want in my machine parts, the extra tolerances and imperfections of manual labour.
Handmade wheels are generally better. The “handmade” refers to lacing and tensioning the spokes to the rim and hub. Humans still do a better job than machines, because it basically involves a lot of adjustments and tradeoffs between even tension and trueness (radial and lateral). No rim is perfectly true out of the factory, so it takes a good wheel builder to do an optimal job.

Rims and hubs are still sold separately all the time. Any good bike shop can build up a wheel, or replace a worn rim without replacing the hub and spokes. I’ve even built a number of wheels myself. I take forever but the end result is still good.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

I just walk places

I just walk in place while thinking about my car.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I love this threads perfectly even split between people who hate cars because they hate everything and people who hate cars because they love bicycling.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Salt Fish posted:

I love this threads perfectly even split between people who hate cars because they hate everything and people who hate cars because they love bicycling.

I hate cars because someone driving one and running a red light almost killed me yesterday, and he didn't even have the common decency to throw away his keys and walk into the river afterward

mystes
May 31, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

por que no los dos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bicycles are awesome just from a turning movement into work perspective if nothing else. It’s pretty loving cool that a mechanical device with no motor will increase a human’s max speed like 3x and comfortable moving speed like 5x.