Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

Gears and Gambits is REALLY loving bad.

I looked up the strats for hard mode didnt want to deal with. Chocob gliding ducks too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GateOfD posted:

the Johnnys stuff is kind of too silly..why doesn't Yuffie just do this for everyone
She does offer to.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Oh cool I've kind of neglected gold saucer stuff just BC I've managed to avoid minigame burnout but I sort of assume it's one frustrating minigame away at all times but now I'm mostly done with the region Intel stuff and am about to head off north I've been finishing the choco races for Billy's quest and I should check out what cool prizes ive missed.

Speaking of minigames what is everyone's most hated minigame? Mine is cactuar crush. I don't know if I'll bother getting plat for this game not only BC there's a lot to do for it but also BC I am not sure I'll ever be able to beat it properly.

Cactuar crush is easier than you think. Everytime aerith puts down a ward it does dmg btw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Really bad at this Tifa crunches mini-game. I just lose track of the rhythm once it goes invisible.
Got to Golden Saucer.
great opening lol @ Yuffie fainting, how did all 3 do this spontaneous dance number with no rehearsal?

Only just started ch8 and go to the hotel with Barret.
A been foggy on finer details, haven't seen any fate ghosts so far. Other than expanding on side characters and smoothing things, has there any divergent stuff happening that played out differently than the original? Other than the vague Zack moments or Sephorith being all mysterious, has any stuff played out differently. Seem to baby sit these robed guys a bit more, but it seems the story is going on the 'regular path'

Also, wow, does Cait Sith's character model look amazing in modern graphics. And didn't know what to expect for voice, but it fits perfectly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

this mushroom picking minigame is the worst minigame

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

GateOfD posted:

Only just started ch8 and go to the hotel with Barret.
A been foggy on finer details, haven't seen any fate ghosts so far. Other than expanding on side characters and smoothing things, has there any divergent stuff happening that played out differently than the original? Other than the vague Zack moments or Sephorith being all mysterious, has any stuff played out differently. Seem to baby sit these robed guys a bit more, but it seems the story is going on the 'regular path'

Up to that point the only real divergence from OG I can think of is Rufus firing the giant cannon to provoke war with Wutai, mainly because the war with Wutai is much more of a thing in the remakes.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm replaying on hard mode and just had a chat with Rhonda about all her materia disappearing with Yuffie, the loveable rogue!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you didn't even unlock the only hard song

what now, buster

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Instant Grat posted:

what now, buster

hell yeah, 31k crew represent

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
When does one winged angel unlock? I refuse to believe it can be harder than let the battles begin, I didn't even try to do better than a C on that

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

When does one winged angel unlock? I refuse to believe it can be harder than let the battles begin, I didn't even try to do better than a C on that

After getting every collectible for Johnny's hotel

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Instant Grat posted:

After getting every collectible for Johnny's hotel

Oh well I mean that's actually a good reason to do all that poo poo I guess.

In other news I'm upto chapter 13 and these Gilgamesh island dual summon fights are kicking my rear end on dynamic. I'm unsure if I wanna just put it on normal mode or come back later with some maxed out materia. also Gilgamesh is a loving moron and I kind of love it. this game has such a goofy physical humour to it

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Managed to finish the game, only took 77 hours. Once they told me that I'd have to fight double summon battles to get to the optional boss, I just decided to beeline towards the ending.

I am definitely struggling to reach a firm opinion on the ending, but right now I feel like while some individual stuff was really well done (everyone coming in to help out with Super Jenova), the multiverse bullshit and Schroedinger's Aerith was kind of an absolute hot mess. Definitely not a huge fan of the changes to Aerith's maybe death.

I felt the game was good but I also wish that I liked it as much as some other people did, because a lot of the minigames and some of the new elements. I also didn't love the combat, but I personally prefer evading attacks rather than tanking them. I get why they did it this way but I'd personally probably gel with it more if it were more evasion oriented like FFXVI. They really cooked with the music, between this, Octopath II, and FFXIV/XVI, SE is really cooking when it comes to their composers

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 31, 2024

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Instant Grat posted:

what now, buster

now do it on a dreamcast fishing controller

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

lol this gold cup chocobo race side quest looks like it’s getting filed under the nope column. Hyperion is like 1/3 lap ahead of me every attempt. mini games that require perfection to succeed are wildly un fun. I guess Tifa will never love me now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe it's because I play too much Mario Kart but I didn't find the chocobo racing that tough.

I found using Aponi was a huge help. Aponi's Hoverbird ability can let you just glide right over rough terrain and cut corners that can shave a lot off your time. That, and drifting drat near constantly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think hyperion rubber bands to always be a bit in front of you until the final lap

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I used the complaining online technique and have now golded the first two races

Selena and Saurion set. That bubble is like the blue shell from Mario kart lol

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
The green chocobo jumping over everything helps a lot

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never changed off the grasslands chocobo and never really had any opposition. I didn't even realize they had different abilities until the one race where you're forced to use the Nibelheim one.

Speed Boost is just universally useful.

Also whatever the equipment is that makes you flinch less from running into stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I found chocobo racing to be annoying just because you lose speed stacks whenever something bumps you. So once you're in the lead you're at max speed forever, but getting into first means constantly getting bumped by another racer and bleeding speed, making it harder to actually pull ahead.

Also gently caress the cactuar doors.

e: Also I wish they'd let you buffer a drift while gliding. I had to skip a flight shortcut on a few races because I kept landing, tried to drift a bit too early, and slammed into a wall instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

I found chocobo racing to be annoying just because you lose speed stacks whenever something bumps you. So once you're in the lead you're at max speed forever, but getting into first means constantly getting bumped by another racer and bleeding speed, making it harder to actually pull ahead.

Also gently caress the cactuar doors.

That is why the Green Chocobo owns, you can just jump over the doors.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
gently caress the last two legendary battles. That is all.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Boy the Battle for Naming Rights is really loving dumb huh? If you don’t know ahead of time to equip everyone with a safety bit you just die lol. K.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't think I've ever equipped a safety bit

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I did everything I could in every area and completely finished a lot of stuff, but there's a ton left. I finished on normal today. I loved the ending boss rush so much, especially because the theme for two of the bosses are my top ff themes. I'm a bit confused, but goty so far.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
lol the Yuffie ATB Ward combo is insane. nothing in the entire game can stand up to it as long as you have both Aerith and Yuffie in your party

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Wamsutta posted:

Boy the Battle for Naming Rights is really loving dumb huh? If you don’t know ahead of time to equip everyone with a safety bit you just die lol. K.

That's the first real boss fight where you have to take a step back and observe the mechanics and what enemy is weak to what, and when to attack. And be ready, because it's multiple boss fights in a row, each increasingly making bigger demands of your willingness to be patient.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

this mushroom picking minigame is the worst minigame

By the end it just stopped making sense

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Shouts out to the developer who put a "Limit Break Damage +10%" ability on Aerith's Wizard's Rod weapon

E: The Plumose Rod has one too. Amazing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe it actually boosts other party members? In which case the description is incorrect

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Watching my friend play this yesterday made me realize that I'm pretty decent at this game. I had a really hard time not "back-seat gaming." I watched him playing Head Case and didn't really have anything to say other than "you gotta get better at dodging and switching characters."

I got to show off my decent piano mini-game skills by giving him A's on all but one of the normal ones (not counting the last couple unlocked ones that are too much for me).

There's still something that just feels off about the piano minigame sometimes that bugs me, though, specifically because I can do it well most of the time. I think the key flaw of the minigame is that it's often hard/impossible to know what you did wrong. Like I'll have a series of notes coming up that span both the left and right sides of the analog stick, and after hitting the first note a bunch of upcoming notes on the opposite side will turn into misses. If I just knew what I was doing wrong I could correct it, but I have no idea. The first few notes of Aerith's Theme are a great example. I've tried it literally like 30+ times now, on both my game and my friend's last night, and I've never been able to get it to register all 3 notes as correct. And I have no loving clue why. The instant I hit the first note, the second becomes a miss.

My best guess is that maybe my analog stick is being pressed at the border of two notes, causing it to treat it as two separate notes (thus causing the next one and all subsequent ones to become misses).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

wtf is the rufus fight? It’s immediately after another boss fight, no checkpoint, no chance to heal and it’s a solo fight? and then he appears to be immune to everything, spam what should be ATB moves constantly, basically teleports around the room and does insane damage? What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing here? :( i am on normal difficulty I can’t imagine this poo poo on dynamic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you get a chance to heal between fights, there's a prompt to press square to open the menu during the cutscene

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You hit him while he's reloading,and he pressures right away for a few hits. Dodge and block his attacks until then. Triple Slash will rocket over to him in an instant, but if you're close, Focus Thrust is a better option. If you're REALLY precise, a Braver will stagger him instantly. Make use of the tactics mode slowdown to check what he's about to do after he finishes an attack. Guns Akimbo is always followed by a reload.

I love that fight. It's such a good "bringing character across through gameplay" fight, because it is absolutely infuriating the way he casually reloads any time he hits you while you're stunned and can't do anything about it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

wtf is the rufus fight? It’s immediately after another boss fight, no checkpoint, no chance to heal and it’s a solo fight? and then he appears to be immune to everything, spam what should be ATB moves constantly, basically teleports around the room and does insane damage? What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing here? :( i am on normal difficulty I can’t imagine this poo poo on dynamic

He reloads after one move consistently, akimbo something and then after his other moves when he's used a certain amount of ammo (not really but you'll see what I mean if you observe). So you wanna hit him 3 times when he's reloading or focused strike him and then stop or he will counter you at that point. If you can land a braver on him while he's reloading he apparently gets staggered instantly but you need to kinda be queuing it up when he starts reloading so it's tough.

The main issue is probably you're using your atb healing while learning the fight and then just taking that health in chip damage back down again and getting into kind of a failure spiral. I'd suggest equipping the precision block and atb block materia for sure and getting used to perfect blocking him to build atb faster without eating poo poo, play careful when you do go in for attacks, don't get greedy and then you should have the atb for focused strike which will get him staggered reliably if slowly.

There's another phase but if you just triple strike and whale on the non Rufus half of the fight at that point it should go down easy. or a limit break potentially and you can go back to the above for the remainder.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I really wish there was an easy way to refight him at will. I think he might be my favorite boss in the game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah it was a great fight and really showcased how good the action oriented aspect of this game is imo, the issue is if you have been playing this like a normal FF game the whole time which the game will encourage you to do if you're inclined that way it's a forced skill check on a completely different play style

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I had no clue about pressing square to get to inventory, thanks. Going to have to do that and potion heal and redo materia after every death though, jfc.

There is a fundamental disconnect between me reading the advice you’re (generously) giving, and me executing with my hands on the controller. This fight happens at light speed and I’m finding myself in the dumpster in seconds. It feels like I may be done my time with the game. I don’t think I will be able to beat this. I’ll keep trying but this just feels bad. Nothing in the hours before this fight was anything like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You can go down to Easy Mode? Pretty sure that's literally just a toggle in the menu. Alternatively, there's a purple materia that increases the damage reduction of (non-perfect) blocks AND gives you a bunch of ATB for doing it. Any attack without a warning triangle in the name, you can literally just hold block while he does it and it'll do peanuts for damage and give you ATB. Then use tactical mode after his attacks to check if he's about to do a reload and do a Focus Thrust/Triple Slash (depending on distance) if so.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 1, 2024