Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Restarted with better knowledge of what the heck I was doing, decided to take the +1 culture starting perk and oh boy, turns out spamming Local Reforms in your capital is exactly what you need to be doing at all times with your culture. That or building towns to get your region level or peacefully revolting but when there's nothing absolutely necessary that needs to be done, just Local Reforms all the time, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

I am still not sure, I think maybe building a town for them or increasing their prosperity? I think the reason why they get stuck at 5 pop is because city level limiting population, but vassal has little resources so it takes a long time to for them to level up.

I paid more attention and it seems it's to do with region level. You get region level by either building certain capitol building or building and leveling up town. Since you can't build capitol building for your vassal, building town for them is probably going to be the most practical way for them to ramp up.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, building the town allowed the vassal to grow.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna switch to small maps moving forward, there's just so much dead space on the standard medium map with 8 players. Really feeling the squeeze when cities start sprawling, especially since the AI does love to poo poo vassals everywhere. I can deal with forward settling, but if improvement and product chains are going to be a major thing, you need to let me make space, by the sword if necessary.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m on huge maps and it’s just insane how slow and huge the game is. While the early game is tough purely due to how much space there is for barbs to spawn, by the middle game all the space starts to make running the economy trivial. I can see how this will turn into insane plate spinning by the industrial era.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got a +culture on hunting camps innovation with the wild hunters tree, and yeah, that poo poo is crazy good. Each camp gives you 5 food and a culture point so you're putting your buildings on grassland instead of scrubland this time, it's funny and powerful.

Also I appreciate the change of pace where I look at a swathe of desert or tundra and go, excellent, lots of space for industry while I keep the resource improvements in the good terrain

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

toasterwarrior posted:

Gonna switch to small maps moving forward, there's just so much dead space on the standard medium map with 8 players. Really feeling the squeeze when cities start sprawling, especially since the AI does love to poo poo vassals everywhere. I can deal with forward settling, but if improvement and product chains are going to be a major thing, you need to let me make space, by the sword if necessary.

I only found this on large maps. I'm playing on a medium map right now and the Zulu's homeland is right next to mine, and the Egyptians are on top of me. I bet if i could explore the map I'd find out both expanded directly at me and not in any direction. Early versions of civ6 did that, where the computer would just try to steal land as close as possible to you, so they'd be on the other side of the continent but build a city right next to your capital.

I don't mind the unit graphics aren't the best, but what I really hope they fix is the grey mass that any manufacturing building is. You put down a mill and its suddenly this mass of grey with a building that's barely noticeable in the hex. The map just looks super ugly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh sick, innovations can even unlock superior unit variants that'll outperform nearly everything in their tier until they reach obsoletion. I got a Hoplite unit innovation that had better stats than even Pikemen, a unit one Age above it.

Also another innovation gave all my line units a defense bonus vs. ranged, basically neutralizing their weakness. Game's fuckin cool, man.

I was extremely amused at the age of heroes quest that unlocked Oni as warriors from a Demon Gate. Yes in the description it says they're just people inspired by the legend but still. I enjoy when game is willing to get a little silly.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Eschatos posted:

I was extremely amused at the age of heroes quest that unlocked Oni as warriors from a Demon Gate. Yes in the description it says they're just people inspired by the legend but still. I enjoy when game is willing to get a little silly.

The mods for this game can pop off like crazy if it gets popular enough. So much design space for so many off the wall Variant Age chains that can just wildly diverge into utter nonsense, but in a good way.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

The mods for this game can pop off like crazy if it gets popular enough. So much design space for so many off the wall Variant Age chains that can just wildly diverge into utter nonsense, but in a good way.

With all the different XP ticks, a fantasy total conversion mod can be amazing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

OperaMouse posted:

With all the different XP ticks, a fantasy total conversion mod can be amazing.

You start out in the genesis of a Tolkien fantasy world that eventually leads to the LotR-esque age. But with variants ages that lead to ASOIAF or Frieren instead :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How are people unlocking the age of heroes? I've never even seen a a landmark, let alone discovered one.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

How are people unlocking the age of heroes? I've never even seen a a landmark, let alone discovered one.

Just luck I guess. In my first game I saw all of one landmark on my entire continent, whereas in my current one I fulfilled the 3 landmark requirement within the first 15 turns, with plenty more landmarks around the AI areas to spare.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Saved a game with the Age of Alchemy queued up, now I read here not to bother and the Age of Steampunk Shenanigans is better?

Shame you can't chain variant ages, it might be fun to stack as much nonsense as possible

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really wish Age of Harmony was called the Age of Faith or Age of Evangelicalism because I had no idea that it was the hyper religious era, so i kind of screwed myself because a lot of upgrades I have require the city to have a religion and oops, democracy doesn't have one. Age of Harmony sounded like everyone was just happy and there would be happiness bonuses to everything. When I think Harmony i don't think religion.

Should of built that 5th balloon and went with age of Aether.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The plague age is interesting from a game design perspective. Everyone hates it but it’s a good representation of the evolutionary slowdown and it’s using the available game mechanics well to that end. I suffered a huge bottleneck when his playthrough with the plague halting my population growth and infrastructure development for a century.

The problem with the plague age is that it comes up fairly early in the game and most fresh players will slam their head against it. The poor way miasma is shown and the somewhat illogical or hard to understand mechanics are not helping.

The age system is great, especially with the variety it introduces. I wonder how hard it will be to mod for it - I imagine coding AI to handle custom ages might a handful.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Almost got myself stuck starting age of intolerance. It seems like that might be impossible to avoid if you start a religion while having a large population unless you have a colossal stockpile of build points. Luckily I learned that if the next age tech is already queued up already hitting the limit will not force switching ages.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Eschatos posted:

Almost got myself stuck starting age of intolerance. It seems like that might be impossible to avoid if you start a religion while having a large population unless you have a colossal stockpile of build points. Luckily I learned that if the next age tech is already queued up already hitting the limit will not force switching ages.

A trick to managing faith needs is the abbey, unlocked by... I forget the name, but the religious tech. If you upgrade an outpost into a castle it can build abbeys on empty tiles, and the abbeys produce religious texts that give faith that get sent on to the city the castle is linked to. Other than that and the buildings unlocked by the religious tech (2 buildings that give 4 faith each, but are expensive) your only option seems to be religious scribes that convert paper into faith, but that means using lumber for paper instead of production.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, you can play yourself into a corner with faith. I did not expect I’ll need faith buildings for my growth and ended up just scraping by thanks to my robus timber/paper industry and religious scribes.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Bremen posted:

A trick to managing faith needs is the abbey, unlocked by... I forget the name, but the religious tech. If you upgrade an outpost into a castle it can build abbeys on empty tiles, and the abbeys produce religious texts that give faith that get sent on to the city the castle is linked to. Other than that and the buildings unlocked by the religious tech (2 buildings that give 4 faith each, but are expensive) your only option seems to be religious scribes that convert paper into faith, but that means using lumber for paper instead of production.

Im pretty sure that I added abbeys to standard outposts in one of my last games.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something else this needs is a few more units. It goes from basically napoleonic units to modern military. Could remove the SMGer and make them standard riflemen. Also there doesn't seem to be an upgrade to the canon?

Also SMGers are the worst unit. i just had 6 of them wiped out by a mix of musketeers and mercenaries.

Okay, after having a modern war, this has the classic civ problem of tanks losing to spearmen because of game mechanics. Spearmen, or in this case, pikes, get bonuses against cav, and tanks are cav, so 6 modern armor ends up being wiped out by a bunch of guys with pointy sticks.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 1, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got age of alchemy and it's actually got a pretty cool niche: being able to convert gold, the map resource (which is surprisingly bad in early game until you unlock jeweler) into everything from food and sanitation to raw production.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What causes chaos? I suddenly am making 13 of it a turn but mousing over it doesn't explain anything about it.

Also its almost impossible to google anything for this game.

Jesus christ it jumped up to +16.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

twistedmentat posted:

What causes chaos? I suddenly am making 13 of it a turn but mousing over it doesn't explain anything about it.

Check your cities to see if their unrest is high. That's the most common case of "why do I suddenly have chaos and why is it increasing?" that I've found. Unfortunately, there are no warning messages you get about rising unrest until it triggers a rebellion. There are signs (unexplained chaos increases, a tiny little icon under the city's name in the world map) but it's on you to check for it.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, after having a modern war, this has the classic civ problem of tanks losing to spearmen because of game mechanics. Spearmen, or in this case, pikes, get bonuses against cav, and tanks are cav, so 6 modern armor ends up being wiped out by a bunch of guys with pointy sticks.

Tanks are Mobile units, but not cavalry. Pikes get no bonus against them. That said, you shouldn't be making armies that are entirely one type of unit because they're hideously vulnerable to their counter-unit.

Nektu posted:

Im pretty sure that I added abbeys to standard outposts in one of my last games.

Monasteries are the standard outpost improvements, buildable on hills. Abbeys are castle-only but buildable on any flat land.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 1, 2024

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Certain events will cause chaos like razing neutral settlements (I wish the game was clearer to new players that you're increasing the rate of chaos gain rather than the discrete amount), though it should tell you if it does that in whatever tooltip accompanies the choices. Also having unrest in your cities adds to the chaos buildup, perhaps you haven't been keeping abreast of that? (check the circular meter to the left of the city name window).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zurai posted:

Check your cities to see if their unrest is high. That's the most common case of "why do I suddenly have chaos and why is it increasing?" that I've found. Unfortunately, there are no warning messages you get about rising unrest until it triggers a rebellion. There are signs (unexplained chaos increases, a tiny little icon under the city's name in the world map) but it's on you to check for it.

Tanks are Mobile units, but not cavalry. Pikes get no bonus against them. That said, you shouldn't be making armies that are entirely one type of unit because they're hideously vulnerable to their counter-unit.

My cities all had 4 city guard so their unrest was really low, except one city where a barbarian camp spawned 1 space aways from it, but it said its unrest was caused by high chaos. So whats going on? Its like an ouroboros, my chaos was high because of a cities unrest, and their unrest was high and that was causing the high chaos.

I only knew about it because i got a message "all your civic monuments have been destroyed".

Super Jay Mann posted:

Certain events will cause chaos like razing neutral settlements (I wish the game was clearer to new players that you're increasing the rate of chaos gain rather than the discrete amount), though it should tell you if it does that in whatever tooltip accompanies the choices. Also having unrest in your cities adds to the chaos buildup, perhaps you haven't been keeping abreast of that? (check the circular meter to the left of the city name window).

I didn't do anything, i only vasselized a neutral settlement and that didn't say it had any chaos.

And everything was going so well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The chaos meter deffo needs a breakdown. I'm sure there's always a baseline trickle of chaos that functions as a regular gold tax, but I'm sure being at war and conquering/razing cities do result in big chaos chunks.

The thing that I'm also unsure is a thing but it does feel like it is that getting a big chunk of chaos isn't just one amount: it's like, a 10 chaos hit will keep hitting you with 10 chaos every turn until you pop a chaos event. Same thing with innovation on the opposite end; they're like snowball effects that reset on event trigger.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Chaos and Innovation function in the same way. There is no such thing as gaining just one instance of Inno/Chaos. They're slippery slopes. Gaining +1 Chaos gives you +1 Chaos per turn. +10 Chaos is +10 Chaos per turn. However, whenever a Chaos or Innovation event fires, you lose 70% of your Innovation/Chaos growth. This means there's not much point to firing off the Propaganda culture power if your Chaos is higher than 10, but if it's 10 or less, you'll completely prevent all Chaos events until you gain more Chaos from something else (incidentally, Chaos growth can go negative via Propaganda).

The only things that cause Chaos are taking cities, events (all of which are clearly labeled), or unrest (which very much is not). There is no baseline trickle of Chaos. If you go the entire game without capturing a major nation's city (or razing a minor nation's city), selecting a chaos choice in an event, or gaining more than a little bit of unrest, you'll never see a Chaos event.

Innovation can be gained from a huge variety of sources, too many to list in totality, but the most common are the Cutting Edge culture power or being the first to research a new Age.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 1, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the clarification, truly! Learning the pacing in re: to chaos events is pretty key, IMO: if my math is right, if you're going to do poo poo that creates chaos, it's probably best to do it all at once and have a reserve of gold to pay the events off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty much. If you're already at a chance of popping chaos events, any more chaos you generate is basically discounted by 70% - it's a good time to be conquering a bunch of cities.

Innovation is the opposite, where you want to steadily be getting a little bit to keep the innovation events ticking, rather than getting a whole dump all at once.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

You're not wrong but it seemed pretty clear to me that there is no distinction between chaos gain and rate. Anyway if there's any issue from my perspective it's that having a decent wealth economy makes chaos insignificant.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone attempting grand master yet? Out producing the AI early is out of the question, so I go with extra starting scout and try to get advance military unit from goodie huts. Once I have 2 warbands and 1 archer I can start clearing barb camp to get even more stuff...I think I might have encountered a bug though, one of the bonus was to get a catapult but I never received it. I clicked through the message pretty fast so maybe I only got some kind of innovation bonus.

I find with some investment in military, you can survive the AI onslaught. The AI don't really use reinforcement and will happily throw themselves at your units even when you have terrain bonus or militia support, to a degree. That's when you can counter attack and start picking them off. After a few good exchange you'll probably start to have an advantage to start pushing them back, but it'll take awhile, and I fall behind in tech quite a bit. So far I tried to vassalize and expand but always lose the expansion so I think focusing on production and military will be key. In In my last attempt if I used my cultural power to get a few more units I would be able to start capturing developed city and I think that'll start getting me some momentum.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished my first game, colony ship victory at turn 332 against adepts. By the end I was running insane levels of production, pumping it all into the colony ship while the AI couldn't even play catch up in tech. Really big cities too, though I kinda gave up on optimizing them because holy moly it's a lot of work and math so I just played it simple and didn't even bother with trade routes.

Couple of things I concluded:

1) Production is king. Might be too powerful, if anything. Don't forget you can convert production into improvement stock from the start of the game, and that getting improvements up and running ASAP is probably better than whatever building choice you got at the moment.

2) Non-food agricultural resources feel like a trap early game, IMO. Gold is important, yes, but if you have openings for more growth and production, you should probably take those first and backfill the money makers instead. Scrapping improvements also returns a quarter of the spent improvement points so never feel afraid to rebuild your layouts.

3) Influence might actually be the secret top-tier resource, because grabbing as much land as possible without resorting to settlers and pioneers loving up your main cities' growth is extremely strong as you progress into the game. For this reason, I will be trying out God Kings next game.

4) Speaking of which, most nation ideas end up as a mixed bag. It's important to remember that you need a multiple of an idea's iconic units or improvement in order to take the final perk, and I'll be honest and say that a lot of these are not worth buying all the perks for. You kinda have to feel it out: for example, I think Moundmakers has middling bonuses associated with an improvement that needs the best terrain type in the early game, but it also has a top-tier perk that halves food requirements for the rest of the game, freeing up a lot of tiles for something else.

Not all of these aspects are obvious either; for example, Wild Hunters buffs meat sources big time, making them very good for scrubland-heavy starts and deer/cow/sheep bonuses. However, there's also an innovation that gives WH hunting camps +1 culture, which I took advantage of heavily in my game by dropping hunting camps everywhere for food sustain while also pumping my culture again to a disgusting degree, letting me spam as many abilities as I could.

5) Town adjacencies: yeah it's production >>> everything once again IMO. I try to put my towns by hills and forests as much as I can TBH, and food resources second.

6) Gold generation: it's required at a certain point but TBH you can do alright just by having citizens sitting in the T2 and onwards housing improvements. Don't take my words for gospel though.

When I can think of more I'll post them, but man I really fuckin love this game and what they're going for. I hope the devs are doing well with it!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

toasterwarrior posted:

4) Speaking of which, most nation ideas end up as a mixed bag. It's important to remember that you need a multiple of an idea's iconic units or improvement in order to take the final perk, and I'll be honest and say that a lot of these are not worth buying all the perks for. You kinda have to feel it out: for example, I think Moundmakers has middling bonuses associated with an improvement that needs the best terrain type in the early game, but it also has a top-tier perk that halves food requirements for the rest of the game, freeing up a lot of tiles for something else.

I'm currently doing a culture game for multiplayer with the mound builders, and you really only need the mounds themselves and the food halving thing. It's pretty fun to generate a culture power every two turns, forever, by feeding all your culture into your permanently 50% boosted capital.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a mod or xml I can edit to make it so that we can chain variant ages?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

One thing I noticed that isn’t super obvious is how growth works. There doesn’t appear to be any proportional relationship between your food income and your growth, it’s all entirely based on the average of your needs met, of which food is only a component. Furthermore, growth isn’t directly proportional to the needs satisfied, instead there are needs thresholds that determine a specific growth percentage per turn, with 25% growth being the max when 200% is reached on all needs. I’m unsure if that specific amount is modified in other ways in my relatively short play time, but this effectively means that, oddly enough, population growth is almost
entirely linear and you need at least 4 turns for every pop growth no matter how big your cities are.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, I was just about to mention that. Thanks for doing the math because I spent a fair bit of my game figuring out what the optimal growth speed is, because at a certain point I kept putting citizens into middens and not realizing that just because I fulfilled that need to the extent of 200%, it wasn't actually giving me returns that were worth it until it was too late.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I'm currently doing a culture game for multiplayer with the mound builders, and you really only need the mounds themselves and the food halving thing. It's pretty fun to generate a culture power every two turns, forever, by feeding all your culture into your permanently 50% boosted capital.

Agreed. Mound Builders is absolutely loving busted if you have a start with enough grasslands. I had my capital pumping out 42!!!!!! culture per turn by the end of Age 3. Being able to use a culture power every 2-3 turns is just monstrous, and that's just one aspect of the boosted capital. You also get tons of bonus research, production, needs satisfaction, etc etc. And since the bonus lasts 5 turns, you can alternate between that and another cultural power as needed. Or just boost two cities.

Of course, if you have a city with barely any grassland, it's not going to help that much. Although don't discount the "expand into grasslands cheaper" aspect; ANY "expand your influence into X terrain cheaper" tech is worthwhile IMO.

EDIT: My capital is making 61 culture per turn under the effects of the Local Reforms culture power. For reference:

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2024

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also somehow left out what I meant by thresholds, i.e. the growth rate is a constant dependent on certain ranges your needs fall on, so, for example, at average 200% it’s 25% but if it falls anywhere in-between 150% and 200% then it’s Iike 18.75% I think (not on my computer right now to check), and that value doesn’t go down again until it hits below 150%.

So basically you absolutely want to be at 200% needs on everything at all time, as even a tiny blip in one need will slow down your growth rate by more than you’d expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So what are some pointers for a successful early game? I always feel like this is where i screw up on any of these games. I either spend too much time on research or expand to quickly or whatnot.

I've got the barbarian fighting down, 2 warbands and an archer, later 2 spears and 2 archers in age 2 will handle basically anything.