Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dejan Bimble posted:

The keltics are so good but will they just fall apart when it matters? Maybe Jrue/Derrick White/ Zingi preclude that?

It seems like Celtics Nuggets is fait accompli

Obviously the thunder and t wolves are really good but I dunno if either one can take the nuggets

idk why people are so convinced the celtics always choke anyway? they’ve had one season where they were considered the favorites in the east and they made it to game 7 of the conference finals after putting together some monster elimination games to even get that far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

fart simpson posted:

idk why people are so convinced the celtics always choke anyway? they’ve had one season where they were considered the favorites in the east and they made it to game 7 of the conference finals after putting together some monster elimination games to even get that far

they aren't blowing out every team by 50 = choke. White, Brown, Tatum, KP, Holiday are better than the 90's bulls. Says it right here on the computer. That's how basketball works.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Celtics will be sus until they actually win, then they will become overblown

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think draymond was trying to get ejaculated here

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

fart simpson posted:

They have so many blown leads! (please ignore the fact they are almost always in the lead, the goal in basketball)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bellmaker posted:

They have so many blown leads! (please ignore the fact they are almost always in the lead, the goal in basketball)

they don’t tho, you don’t go .800 in a season by blowing a bunch of leads. every team blows a couple leads at least

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
In the playoffs they tend to lose series that people think that they should be winning, up to and including the couple NBA finals they were in

That team had no business losing to the Heat..

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
They also take too long to win series against clearly inferior teams

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dexo posted:

In the playoffs they tend to lose series that people think that they should be winning, up to and including the couple NBA finals they were in

theyve only been in one finals in recent memory. what do you mean couple?

e: and the warriors were heavy favorites to win at the time. idgi

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 31, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You're right. I screwed up there. Have no clue what I was thinking.

But my point stands, the reason people don't trust them is they continually lose series people feel like they are the better team.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

slave to my cravings posted:

They also take too long to win series against clearly inferior teams

what does it matter if they win those series? i seriously dont get where the reputation came from, especially considering this is basically year 3 of this "era" of the team and in the first year they massively overachieved compared to expectations, 2nd year they slightly fell short of expectations, and this year the playoffs havent started yet.

i mean seriously, like 26-28 other teams would gladly take the level of playoff success the celtics have had in the past 10 years and in my mind theyve only really blown 1 series they shoulda won with this iteration of the team (the jays as clear top guys)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dexo posted:

You're right. I screwed up there. Have no clue what I was thinking.

But my point stands, the reason people don't trust them is they continually lose series people feel like they are the better team.

miami heat last year sure. what other examples are there?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Looking back it’s obvious the Celtics were never good enough so they never were a favorite and this year they’re the favorite if they win the championship but otherwise there are obviously better teams

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If you are modern and cultured analytics knower and not some old school neanderthal lughead then you would understand that the Celtics are heavy favourites for the championship. Not quite that you'd favour them versus the field, but close.

Part of that is their path in the east is theoretically easier than most of the other strong teams which are in the west. But mostly it's because their regular season numbers are crazy good, like one of the greatest regular season teams ever good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

uggy posted:

Looking back it’s obvious the Celtics were never good enough so they never were a favorite and this year they’re the favorite if they win the championship but otherwise there are obviously better teams

Celtics were the favorites against the Nets.They lost that series in the first round
Heat again 2019-2020

I also think they were the Better team in some of those Cavs series but I'll grant that was peak LeBron Bullshit in the East era. Which you never bet against.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dexo posted:

Celtics were the favorites against the Nets.They lost that series in the first round
Heat again 2019-2020

I also think they were the Better team in some of those Cavs series but I'll grant that was peak LeBron Bullshit in the East era. Which you never bet against.

you mean when boston were a 7th seed .500 team against the 2nd seed durant, hardon, and kyrie nets? i dont think so. and the 2020 heat series going into it they were not seen as heavy favorites but it was seen going in as a pretty competitive series with most of the betting odds giving a very slight advantage to boston

i agree that its a big failure if they dont at least reach the finals and play a competitive series this year tho

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Assuming everyone gets to reasonably healthy I think the nuggets have the edge against the Wolves but I think the wolves have a better shot against Boston (though Boston is favored against anyone).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

as a celtics fan im most worried about a nuggets matchup

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fart simpson posted:

as a celtics fan im most worried about a nuggets matchup

Bold take

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else pronounce Tatum as “tah-toom”

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dexo posted:

The heat beat two other teams first.

Last year was fools gold. If you asked me what makes the celtics a championship team, I couldn't tell you. It's something about the fantasy/moneyball aspect where you put good stats guys together and it works. But there's not a clear edge. The best thing is the C's are consistent on both ends. But when something goes awry (like refs, coaching, vibes), they become an average team. The Pels commentater said something and I didn't even think about it because it was obvious if you watch them. He said the Pels could've still won if they defend just enough and covered everyone else so tatum/brown has to iso. Then make sure to score on the other end. That always kills the celtics because they get frustrated and play like rear end. It's not softness, they are spoiled.

I like to throw cold water on the C's every now and then because people talk like this is a dynasty or generational. I personally like them but they are held back by coaching and haven't found that "thing" yet that makes the team work.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

leftist heap posted:

Does anyone else pronounce Tatum as “tah-toom”

If anyone does, I hope they also pronounce Batum as "bait-em"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Celtics are overrated chokers because I don’t like them

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

temple posted:

The heat beat two other teams first.

I would say the same thing about the teams that lost to the Heat last year, including the Bulls in the play in to be fair.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Celtics have lost two series to the Heat that most people thought they should win going in, and a lot of people thought they would beat Golden State in the finals because "they are the more talented team". It's kind of revisionist history to call them massive underdogs against the Warriors, people were saying that GSW team sucked and were frauds/cooked etc.

e: It's not like Milwaukee didn't get poo poo for losing to the Heat too

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am sorry i am not going to be charitable or fair to the loving boston celtics when they lose regardless of circumstance because of doing Hating

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

edited

duodenum fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 31, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

this math checks out

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Everyone's just hating on the Celtics because they want to deny the inevitable. If you convince yourself they're chokers than you might have some hope they won't just run through the Eastern Conference only dropping a game or two.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i'm hating on the celtics because i dislike them

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

gently caress em

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Celtics are a really good team which is why jokic will be consensus top 5 all time after the nuggets sweep them in the finals

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This podcast was really good. Ray Allen is pure class.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I learned how to shoot proper form jump shots from watching (over and over) the VHS of the unstop-a-bulls championship season.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ex post facho posted:

Both are good enough to beat the Nuggets in 7 imo, both match up very well with Ant and SGA, to say nothing of any of the other collection of excellent players on either squad. It'll come down to health which is why I'm glad the Nuggets are being very cautious with Murray

This is why the NBA playoffs are good. Cause we get to find out

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

The Celtics are a really good team which is why jokic will be consensus top 5 all time after the nuggets sweep them in the finals
:hmmyes:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Celtics are just the Budenholzer hawks in green

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The celtics are a good team and have been a good team for a long time and it's nice. Sometimes you just don't get it done in the playoffs. Low sample size and all that so people are just trying to craft the narratives.

Like, they lost a heroic comeback series to a Tatum rolled ankle in game 7. The playoffs are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Shooting variance game tonight. Sucks, but what can you do?