Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Parkingtigers posted:

how kill bug?

You can't shoot down a bug breach, but hitting them with stuns or the grenade launcher goes a long way to keeping them under control. Bugs require a lot more anti heavy than bots, as chargers and titans need to be taken care of ASAP since they are very disruptive. The grenade launcher is also good against spitters which can cause a lot of grief. I think EATs, 500kg, and orbital railcannons are good for bugs. While the autocannon and impact grenades are great, bugs like hunters and shreikers can suddenly get in your face and cause a self kill.

I also like the starting machine gun support weapon on bugs, it probably isn't optimal but it can kill all light and medium bugs and does OK against spitters if you target the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Are there ways to shut down bug breeches quickly? Against bots there's all these ways to take down dropships and blunt the attacks, but bugs seem to be just an unstoppable pile of gently caress you. I thought I hated berserkers, which are the one enemy in bots that overwhelm me, but now I've just met stalkers and I DO NOT LIKE THESE BUGS. Having to deal with them, a couple of chargers, and some flying bullshit bugs that keep swooping in on me...

how kill bug?

Eagle Napalm on a bug breach will kill all the chaff bugs and help soften up the big ones. Orbital Airburst will do the same, trading little bug murder for hitting the big guys harder.

Outside of that, general bug tips, taking a laser guard dog to handle the little guys and using a Punisher/Breaker/Sickle to take down the troublesome medium sized guys, then GL/Autocannon/EAT/Quasar for everything bigger.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Lazer Rover is also a default choice for me w bugs. You can actually kite most bugs and having a constant source of outgoing damage even when you're running is very useful.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mendrian posted:

I can't tell if players having almost no impact on the war effort is poor feature design or a scathing parody of the MIC. I mean it's this game so maybe it's both.

There was a brief period when the servers thought there was zero players, and it reported player impact as actual numbers instead of the tiny rounded fractions. It was great because you could actually see a difference between the difficulties and doing full clears.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The Bile Spewers know when I bring the Slugger to a map and hide and then wait for me to grab the Sickle and then 50 of them will swarm me on the next mission

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I'm the opposite, I've been playing solo and on bugs I can comfortably clear 5s and 6s, complete all side objectives and outposts and extract without dying pretty consistently, but on bots I get stomped doing 4s. I get the idea is to play a lot more hit and run, go for objectives and leave but then you get a stratagem jammer blocking half the map so I have to go in and clear it manually and it turns into a nightmare. Plus I still have no idea how to counter getting rocket-sniped from an enemy you can't even see beyond the fog. I feel like bug missions 'follow the rules' a lot more, I know every x seconds there is going to be a bug breach, I deal with it and keep moving while avoiding patrols. With bots sometimes I see some distant outpost I've never been within 500m of randomly flares and calls 3 or 4 dropships on top of me for seemingly no reason at all.

In terms of tactics against bugs, my go-tos are cluster bomb which can often single handedly deal with a bug breach when well placed, when playing in a group a couple of quasars will make short work of chargers and bile titans and the breaker is clearly the best primary, make sure to prioritise the hunters as they are the quickest and can quickly swarm you. Shield generator is insanely strong, it stops you from getting slowed which is the leading cause of death against bugs. I generally always use the lightest scout armour and stamina boost, that way you should be able to kite the hordes with ease. When playing solo the arc thrower is absolutely insane, effortlessly clears big groups, doesn't give a poo poo about hive guard armour and is surprisingly effective against chargers. You can kill a charger with 6 shots to the head, and as a bonus while you're doing it the arcs will take care of the small guys behind.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I bring a machine gun and kill everything that isn't a charger or a bile titan. Someone else kills those.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Parkingtigers posted:

Are there ways to shut down bug breeches quickly?

If you're host, eagle napalm strike or EMS + Gas can really clear a lot of chaff as it emerges from the breach. If you're not host, I'm a big fan of the orbital airburst strike - it fires multiple rounds, so it can get more than the first wave of spawns. The orbital gattling can do the same but it doesn't feel as reliable, the cluster bomb on the eagle works but you might need to throw it more than once. A mech can usually survive for a couple breaches and handle them without much help, and if you're comfortable being up close the flamethrower works great.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
gatling strike or two well timed 500s will almost entirely neuter a breach

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am REALLY loving the defender smg. This thing is awesome :unsmith:.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just bought it, named my ship Leviathan of Wrath and killed some bugs!

10 minutes in and it's fun stuff!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

Yeah I keep trying to give the Liberator another try here and there but the Defender just seems to outclass it continuously.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Laser dog is really good for bugs and I always bring it unless I'm running AC or GL + backpack. it will save your life when you notice it lasering something behind you when you thought it was clear.

If you're bringing a support weapon that can close holes remember to switch to stun grenades. They're incredible for making chargers, titans, and hordes sit still while you kill them.

If you're running an anti-heavy primary cluster bombs, airburst strike, and gatling strike are all pretty good for keeping hordes under control. Remember gatling strike has a super short cooldown. Just drop it the instant you aggro anything.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I should return to the eagle napalm strike. Thing is I've been unlocking so many strategems and of course you gotta try them all out but that means forgetting some of the old good 'uns. Dropping a giant wall of flaming death down... it was one of the first things I unlocked, of course that's going to be a good thing to return to. I think I got trapped into thinking about air strikes that could blow up spawners.

Grenade launcher > AC sounds like good advice too. I can still close bug holes with it, but it gives me most of the short/mid range power of the AC but opens up the backpack slot for a rover or shield.

Ouroboros posted:

I'm the opposite, I've been playing solo and on bugs I can comfortably clear 5s and 6s, complete all side objectives and outposts and extract without dying pretty consistently, but on bots I get stomped doing 4s. I get the idea is to play a lot more hit and run, go for objectives and leave but then you get a stratagem jammer blocking half the map so I have to go in and clear it manually and it turns into a nightmare. Plus I still have no idea how to counter getting rocket-sniped from an enemy you can't even see beyond the fog. I feel like bug missions 'follow the rules' a lot more, I know every x seconds there is going to be a bug breach, I deal with it and keep moving while avoiding patrols. With bots sometimes I see some distant outpost I've never been within 500m of randomly flares and calls 3 or 4 dropships on top of me for seemingly no reason at all.

What really changed bots for me, was learning that the AC can take out fabricators from super long distance. All you need do is get face on to those two vents on the top, and get a round to hit the angled lids so they ricochet down into the hole. If you are perpendicular, you can usually do it in one, two shots max. Can be done from a 45% angle but that's a lot of messing around so better to just circle for a clear shot. All the bases are easier if you can snipe some of the murder factories before going in closer.

Also, tower cannons and hulks all having giant glowing weak spots you can can shoot from halfway across the map helps a lot too. 3 shots with the AC and either of those are toast.

The eagle smoke being able to blow up a fab, while also smoking all the rest of the bots there, is great for running in to remove the spawner and then leaving without them being able to track you.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mesadoram posted:

Yeah, I keep trying out loadouts and coming back to it. It is such a snappy gun, fantastic gunfeel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Benagain posted:

Did you know the muscle booster helps with flinch? Cuz I just found out.
I knew it helped with bug slows but not that! Good to know there's actually a good reason to take it to both bugs and bots.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sickle, laser dog and quasar cannon are my new default loadout. I took out a charger with a single shot to the face (couldn’t reproduce in the same mission despite trying) and ten seconds later exploded a bile spewer without even trying :smuggo:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Quasar is sooo good. Dead dropships on demand is deeply satisfying in the war against robotkind. Low key think it would be above marginal even if it took a backpack slot, without it it's amazing.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Quasar is the thing that finally got me to stop taking autocannon for bots. It can do almost everything the AC can, and some things better. Lets me take the shield which prevents a lot of deaths. It's made bot 7s feel pretty breezy if you've got a good team.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Eediot Jedi posted:

There was a brief period when the servers thought there was zero players, and it reported player impact as actual numbers instead of the tiny rounded fractions. It was great because you could actually see a difference between the difficulties and doing full clears.

The lady on your ship sometimes thanks you when you get back from a mission for your pathetically small contribution to the war effort

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

People telling me to bring Stun Grenades to bugs when impact grenades one-shot bile spewers?!?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tom Tucker posted:

People telling me to bring Stun Grenades to bugs when impact grenades one-shot bile spewers?!?

Stun grenades on bugs are pretty much so you can get easy shots on Chargers and Bile Titans

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Quasar is the thing that finally got me to stop taking autocannon for bots. It can do almost everything the AC can, and some things better. Lets me take the shield which prevents a lot of deaths. It's made bot 7s feel pretty breezy if you've got a good team.

I tried this but then couldn’t do jack poo poo against Striders. I know you can flank them, but that’s not always easy. I need to unlock the Scorcher I think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It takes more shots than the scorcher but slugger will kill a strider (but leave the rider alive) if you hit the base repeatedly.

Preferably toss an impact grenade.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm trying to think of a single situation where anyone, ever, could justify wasting the backpack slot on a ballistic shield. Makes me a little sad because as a Defender SMG supremacist I like the idea of just tanking my way through incoming fire and hosing down smaller bots but literally anything else seems to be a better choice, especially when a 360 degree shield you can fire two handed primaries and support weapons out of.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
maybe if it literally deflect bot missiles back at them like a jedi lightsaber and had a wild rear end 240 degree arc or something

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I haven't had a chance to test or even look it up but i was wondering if you kept the shield on your back it would actually protect you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ghostinmyshell posted:

I haven't had a chance to test or even look it up but i was wondering if you kept the shield on your back it would actually protect you.

I've seen people say it does but never unlocked the thing and never saw any evidence backing it up so :shrug:

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I've had it block regular bot gunfire but anything with impact like a rocket still knocks you completely on your rear end

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah the shield will still deflect shots on your back

You can test it by shooting a teammate xD

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I like to not take a backpack slot because eventually someone will die and drop on after a few minutes and I can grab it and they can drop another one.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Video Nasty posted:

...I took out a charger with a single shot to the face (couldn’t reproduce in the same mission despite trying)...

Keep in mind the weak spot isn't actually the face, it's the plate above his face, basically his forehead.

Tibbeh posted:

I've had it block regular bot gunfire but anything with impact like a rocket still knocks you completely on your rear end

And if you get knocked down you can drop the shield! The shield also basically disintegrates after taking enough damage.

EDIT: Against bots I've been taking the explosive mortar. That thing has a surprisingly long distance and absolutely wrecks bots. It team kills far less than it does against bugs. Even on regular full length missions it works really well.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

space uncle posted:

I tried this but then couldn’t do jack poo poo against Striders. I know you can flank them, but that’s not always easy. I need to unlock the Scorcher I think.

Yeah I use scorcher for that reason. Also take the senator for headshotting devastators

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The weirdest part about the tower shield is if you ADS with it you can't see your gun or where you're pointing it at all, you peek through the slat, but if you pop it in third person you can actually aim with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tried out the new HMG. Does this thing not get an aiming reticle like every other gun in the game? It's good otherwise. Haven't played with the Quasar cannon very much.

Servers still a 50/50 chance to bug out and drop for no reason.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Arc Hammer posted:

Tried out the new HMG. Does this thing not get an aiming reticle like every other gun in the game?

Just change reticle to "always"

This also gets you indicators like the ARC charging reticle and so on. Everything has a basic reticle and muzzle indicator then.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm normally running a support weapon that already deals with bile spewers well tbh

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm trying to think of a single situation where anyone, ever, could justify wasting the backpack slot on a ballistic shield. Makes me a little sad because as a Defender SMG supremacist I like the idea of just tanking my way through incoming fire and hosing down smaller bots but literally anything else seems to be a better choice, especially when a 360 degree shield you can fire two handed primaries and support weapons out of.

ballistic shield also just bugs out too often and will T-pose you until you weapon swap, during which time you are just taking fire with your face

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been wondering if this was possible for a while and tonight I pulled it off out of sheer luck
https://i.imgur.com/3WIc1RZ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just got the game the other day and have been having a blast apart from the random crashes which can be quite frequent.

Still, I'm a bit confused by the mission structure sometimes and what the optimal play is. I figure you should just be doing the objectives (eg get the SSSD, deliver it to the comms tower etc... Even here sometimes the map doesn't make it clear where things go like map icons being greyed out but still being needed for the mission), but then people go gently caress off randomly to other corners of the map to pick up rare samples and such. I guess this is needed to maximize progression bonuses needed for unlocks and war credit track progression? And how does 1st and 2nd bonuses work on mission completion? Game seems pretty opaque sometimes with no documentation :confused:

Also, I think playing with friends would be better rather than pubbies because I'll talk or text in game and nobody responds or says anything.

E: BTW can you just go prone from standing or do you have to dive each time? Sometimes I like taking a knee on top of a raised structure to stabilize my weapon aim and avoid getting swarmed, but if I try to dive instead there's a good chance I'll (hilariously) flop right off of my encampment.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 1, 2024