Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Somewhere a simian paw curls as someone at Disney crosses out the all the slated Star Warses and Marvels and pens in Planet of the Apes

I love Planet of the Apes, bring it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

one thing im wondering about these new movies is when are we gonna get back to people in make up. How long does that evolutional line take lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Planet of the Apes, bring it on

Will you still love it after Disney does to it what they've done to every franchise they've bought?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mantis42 posted:

Will you still love it after Disney does to it what they've done to every franchise they've bought?

I’m not a weirdo who thinks Disney has irrevocably ruined Star Wars or Indiana Jones or any other franchise that the internet loves to moan and cry about nonstop, so yeah, probably.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That new Apes movie looks good - that’s not Disney tho.

Just back tho and movie is okay. Better than GvK but it makes KoTM look good. It’s a weird thing to say. The end fight was a blurry mess too and just kinda wraps up in a neat bow. There is next to no stakes here and everything is easy to solve. Barely an inconvenience. This needs better writers.

How did Mothra get summoned out of nowhere? No giant egg? Would have been neat to have the deaf girl finding out she has an identical twin down there tying into Mothras backstory. But we got nothing.

And the “we got daft punk at home” score was terrible. Along with the pop songs they chose for Ace Ventura Kaiju Detective.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Vintersorg posted:

Just back tho and movie is okay. Better than GvK but it makes KoTM look good. It’s a weird thing to say. The end fight was a blurry mess too and just kinda wraps up in a neat bow. There is next to no stakes here and everything is easy to solve. Barely an inconvenience. This needs better writers.

How did Mothra get summoned out of nowhere? No giant egg? Would have been neat to have the deaf girl finding out she has an identical twin down there tying into Mothras backstory. But we got nothing.

And the “we got daft punk at home” score was terrible. Along with the pop songs they chose for Ace Ventura Kaiju Detective.

I was waiting for the twin reveal too. Odd they just threw that out after already kinda using it in KotM.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I still didn't love the jokes but I thought they were way less out of place than in the last two movies. The whole thing felt more tonally coherent, if narratively stupid. I want my own pet Shimo and my seven year old though it was a lot of fun so that's honestly good enough for me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shiftypenguin posted:

Odd they just threw that out after already kinda using it in KotM.

This iteration of the franchise laughs at your petty notions of continuity. Which, you know, fair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

And the “we got daft punk at home” score was terrible.

Hardly shocking. Junkie XL's score for Godzilla vs. Kong was awful, too.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

It's Fox, which is owned by The Mouse.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Feck. 😭

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ungulateman posted:

then slightly later - by god, it's the statue of liberty with a steel chair!

Now I'm just reminded of how Las Vegas almost had a massive Michael Jackson statue and/or robot with laser eyes.

Speaking of, that partly robotic scale-model Gundam statue in Japan. Also that probably unauthorised Optimus Prime statue somewhere in China.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm just reminded of how Las Vegas almost had a massive Michael Jackson statue and/or robot with laser eyes.

Las Vegas also almost had a full-size USS Enterprise Refit on the Strip before the funding fell apart.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least Jacksonbot has been immortalized in film. So there's that. He has a magical boy transformation scene! He explodes heads! He turns into a spaceship!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ungulateman posted:

hollow earth is cool, 'shadowy government has/has not built enough shelters to save everyone from the climatastrophe' is not

Counterpoint thats Evangelion AND Shin Godzilla

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stairmaster posted:

Counterpoint thats Evangelion AND Shin Godzilla

Also a bit of Pacific Rim.

Apparently they did an official Godzilla vs Superman crossover. I may seek it out if it seems not entirely terrible, but I can't help but think of a whole idea I had for it, especially playing on the Monsterverse takes; Superman probably would be classifiable as a Kaiju, especially if something similar to Man of Steel is his introduction to the world, and from Godzilla's perspective he's probably at first seemingly another alien invader like Ghidorah.

Also, Mothra would totally end up adopted by the Amazons.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

One more box office update. Holy poo poo. It just had the biggest opening weekend of the year, ahead of Dune Part 2:

quote:

During its three-day opening, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire earned $194 million. This number beats out Dune: Part 2 as the sci-fi epic raked in $178 million globally when it opened.

...Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire earned more than $110 million globally across 64 markets. China was one of the biggest supporters of Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire with a $44 million market gross. Mexico and India followed up as the movie's next top supporters.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-global-box-office-opening/

So the good news is that the Monsterverse is riding high and we don't have to worry about whether we'll get any more Godzilla/Kong movies. The bad news is that by movie business logic, Adam Wingard is a genius who will probably get his way with the franchise as long as he doesn't demand too much money or do something stupid. I wonder if this will give Apple any incentive to go for a second season of Monarch. I presume if it had been a big hit they would have already renewed it, as typically happens with streamers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm glad.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Since they're holding off on the North American PVOD, streaming and home media releases, they should throw Minus One back into theatres as soon as GxK's exclusively window expires. Give us a year of theatrical Zilla

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wingard is saying his idea for the next movie is Godzilla-centric.

quote:

"I definitely have some ideas of where they could go. In the way that Kong is treated in this movie, if this movie is successful, I think that the next movie will be the Godzilla version of what we did with this movie, kind of pushing deeper into his story."

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-global-box-office-opening/

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not a weirdo who thinks Disney has irrevocably ruined Star Wars or Indiana Jones or any other franchise that the internet loves to moan and cry about nonstop, so yeah, probably.

What a snotty condescending post. You're already on the internet weirdo message board for talking about film. You don't not become a weirdo because you have different tastes or whatever. Like it's ok if you enjoy bad movies, this is a kaiju thread afterall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mantis42 posted:

What a snotty condescending post. You're already on the internet weirdo message board for talking about film. You don't not become a weirdo because you have different tastes or whatever. Like it's ok if you enjoy bad movies, this is a kaiju thread afterall.

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Enjoying bad movies is fine, but it is equally okay to enjoy Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Marvel movies too, see what I did there

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Enjoying Disney Star Wars is worse than enjoying kaiju films lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Feel slightly compelled to go grab those posts a few months back of a couple goobers confidently assuring us that this movie was going to be a massive bomb because they personally didn't like the direction it was going. But a) lol effort and b) every metric was that this was going to do fine, tbh I am kind of shocked. Then again Monke Madness (also Godzilla) would have kicked a lot of butt when I was 12, so there you go.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would like it if they made a group of evil humans, so that the good humans would have something to do, and also the evil humans would build some mechas to make a point about humans being the rightful ruler of the planet or something, whatever, I just would like to see mecha vs. Godzilla x Kong. That'd be a new thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CapnAndy posted:

I would like it if they made a group of evil humans, so that the good humans would have something to do, and also the evil humans would build some mechas to make a point about humans being the rightful ruler of the planet or something, whatever, I just would like to see mecha vs. Godzilla x Kong. That'd be a new thing.

This happened in King of the Monsters, GvK and Skull Island

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla going around, sucking up large quantities of energy in preparation for something really loving big he needed it for didn't really make much sense when the threat ultimately was a giant monkey that wasn't actively looking for a way to the surface. I guess that might have been what he was having all the apes working on in the mines but they didn't show what they were mining or working on building.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is there a Mecha Kong?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

This happened in King of the Monsters, GvK and Skull Island
Yeah, those Apex guys. Bring them back. Make them make giant mechas and maybe have an armed force of regular dudes so that if you absolutely need to put human militaries in there (how many times did jet fighters strafe Godzilla for no goddamn reason in GxK, despite knowing it wouldn't do anything but annoy him and he was on their side in the first place? Twice?), they can be useful.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Invalid Validation posted:

Is there a Mecha Kong?

Yes and I fukkin’ love its design.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The next step in the franchise is an alien war. Ghidorah was an alien monster, but they need to have human sized ones like Xiliens or Simians already.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Xliens would be my choice but only if they go full retro with their outfits and make them exactly the same except for modern fabrics etc.

Do not change their shades AT ALL.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

As an April Fools treat, a prominent naval history YouTuber did a video on the loos of the IJN Takao in Minus One,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOstlmOc98

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mllaneza posted:

As an April Fools treat, a prominent naval history YouTuber did a video on the loos of the IJN Takao in Minus One,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOstlmOc98

That was great

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Detective No. 27 posted:

Godzilla going around, sucking up large quantities of energy in preparation for something really loving big he needed it for didn't really make much sense when the threat ultimately was a giant monkey that wasn't actively looking for a way to the surface. I guess that might have been what he was having all the apes working on in the mines but they didn't show what they were mining or working on building.

I'm pretty sure they said that Skar has been looking for a way to the surface, with his goal being to conquer the surface world, ever since he was trapped in the hollow earth. I think it's even said that Godzilla was the one who originally trapped him there. Kong's hunting in the Hollow Earth causes a sinkhole that opens up the subterranean zone to the greater hollow earth (this is around when Godzilla starts searching for more power) but my assumption was the mining operation was Skar attempting to dig out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CRAYON posted:

but my assumption was the mining operation was Skar attempting to dig out.[/spoiler]

That what I settled on too but they could have communicated this better. Godzilla’s plot had the urgency but there was none coming from Skar. The breakout only even happened due to one of the apes noticing the warp holes after chasing Kong out.

I think I was waiting for some ultimate big bad that never happened. Maybe if Ice Angurius (I don’t remember her name) was ramping up to be some unstoppable force only held back by Skar’s restraints/control crystal like a kaiju Broly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last time Godzilla fought the apes he almost died. Skar king is finding a way out. The Iwi are scared. That’s why Godzilla does what he does.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

My guesses regarding Godzilla hoarding energy and Shimo's existence are that the former was an excuse for Godzilla to transform into a slimmer, faster form more than anything else, and the latter might be a possible Godzilla replacement waiting in the wings if Legendary loses the rights to Godzilla (IIRC Godzilla vs Kong was the last movie to be made under Toho's original deal with Legendary, which would explain why this movie is so Kong-centric).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I mean, this is tied into me finding the big baddie underwhelming in general, but my read was that Godzilla just overprepared. The Iwi sent out an SOS and Godzilla was like "oh poo poo, something's going down, better be ready to help", because he is nice. And then it turns out it's just some upjumped ape whose rear end he's kicked before who has a somewhat annoying pet now.