Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m still in the grove, just heading out to find the missing leader.

I’m trying to role play as a charismatic, slightly bewildered, slightly kind, willing to break the rules sorcerer. Like a generally good dude who is just kind of confused by the whole alien abduction and tadpole thing. He’s just trying to make the best of it.

I’m finding it a bit difficult to actually role play that though.
  • The dialogue options are sometimes ambiguous in terms of how npcs will react. Like will they interpret this as a light teasing or as a grave insult?
  • My companions seem to disprove of most of my poo poo. I’m especially surprised by the reactions from Astarion and from Wyll. Astarion is way more violent and evil in approve/disapprove actions than his aloof personality would have me believe. And the lack of approval is curious because at camp Astarion and Shadowheart are at least beginning an inkling of wanting to have to have sex with Tav.

I think the only companion who generally likes my goofy, charismatic, just-trying-to-get-by-but-good-hearted roleplay Tav personality is Gale.

What was your experience with companion reactions? Are my companions always going to be off put by my Tav roleplay? Does it matter?

All of the companions in this game start off fairly extreme one direction or another, if you work with them you will get more approval from doing their personal quests and the major story beats than you will ever lose from doing small things they dislike. In fact you can largely ignore the minor so and so liked/disliked that, as the major events (i.e. slaughtering innocents will cause good characters to leave the group, ignoring sidequests for selfish characters will make them realize you don't care, fulfilling them will make them love you, etc.) than the tiny little like/dislike stuff for the most part. I'm not actually sure if it's even possible to lose companions through accumulated minor dislikes. You might lose out on romance options if they really dislike you but that's only really relevant if you cared about romancing them (and if you do, well try to be more their type?)

My first playthrough was a sort of "pragmatic good" character who wanted to make the world better for everyone but saw long term stability as the path to that so thought much more "big picture" than personal problems and certain companions hated them for it because they were like "yeah okay we'll handle your grudge after we save the world, pipe down." Which I found totally appropriate and/or funny. You'll have enough companions who like you no matter what you do unless you go out of your way not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are very few instances where characters will outright leave the party, even if their approval isn't the greatest. Don't cast Friends to win persuasion checks too often since their attitude will worsen if they discover you were enchanting them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm kinda in a bad place, my first game was Tav Druid, Shadowheart, Astarion and Gale. I played that one as a fairly good character.

I decided my next run was going to be a bit more evil (but not TOO evil) so I started a Drow. However, I realized I may have to do another fairly good run because this time I'm doing Lae'zel, Karlach and Wyll. Whoops

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Medullah posted:

I'm kinda in a bad place, my first game was Tav Druid, Shadowheart, Astarion and Gale. I played that one as a fairly good character.

I decided my next run was going to be a bit more evil (but not TOO evil) so I started a Drow. However, I realized I may have to do another fairly good run because this time I'm doing Lae'zel, Karlach and Wyll. Whoops

at least make the second run a Resist Durge then!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Minthy is a fun companion for Durge runs, she can be recruited even as a mostly good character now and her plot is tied into Orin's whole Act 3 deal.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
When I first ran through the game with one-level-in-all-classes halfling, the suboptimal jank began truly shining through the cracks when I finally reached lvl 12. My tav was utterly useless in combat. I'd say Cazador encounter was arguably the second hardest one (and there were several others mainly because I had willingly shot myself in the foot). Lost control of Astarion and the combat was a dual effort between fighter Lae'zel and Shadowheart (with original stats and domain!!). Even after figuring his weaknesses and shooting him down in two turns, I still almost lost against the werewolf-tide.

The hardest one is quite surprising, since others rarely mention it at all. spoiler: it was Ansur. Man I had to reload that one at least 10 times.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Goatson posted:

When I first ran through the game with one-level-in-all-classes halfling, the suboptimal jank began truly shining through the cracks when I finally reached lvl 12. My tav was utterly useless in combat. I'd say Cazador encounter was arguably the second hardest one (and there were several others mainly because I had willingly shot myself in the foot). Lost control of Astarion and the combat was a dual effort between fighter Lae'zel and Shadowheart (with original stats and domain!!). Even after figuring his weaknesses and shooting him down in two turns, I still almost lost against the werewolf-tide.

The hardest one is quite surprising, since others rarely mention it at all. spoiler: it was Ansur. Man I had to reload that one at least 10 times.

it's kind of badass you played through the whole game with a 1-in-every-class guy, but you can just get a hireling and level them up for the achievement.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Zodium posted:

it's kind of badass you played through the whole game with a 1-in-every-class guy, but you can just get a hireling and level them up for the achievement.

Lmao, first time I hear this. Don't think would've changed much, because I would've done it anyway. 20% for the bragging rights, 20% out of spite, because I hate 5e and wanted to have something going on that wasn't mundane and 60% because I have worms in my brain not just in game and once roleplaying the character started, there was no stopping.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I know that recruiting Minthara makes Halsin leave in a huff, but does it lock you out of the other druid as well?

And does recruiting minthy mean you can't solve the shadowcurse thing?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

McCloud posted:

I know that recruiting Minthara makes Halsin leave in a huff

If that was once true it hasn't been for months, I've had them in the same camp no problems

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If that was once true it hasn't been for months, I've had them in the same camp no problems

they shared the same Act 2 tent, The Odd Couple style, for a while, that was pretty amusing

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
She has also been known to share her tent with an urchin while standing inside a table

so yeah idk tbh

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Goatson posted:

Lmao, first time I hear this. Don't think would've changed much, because I would've done it anyway. 20% for the bragging rights, 20% out of spite, because I hate 5e and wanted to have something going on that wasn't mundane and 60% because I have worms in my brain not just in game and once roleplaying the character started, there was no stopping.

becoming the most powerful adhd guy in faerun ftw

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

i think people struggle with grief because the game really favors a "death is the best cc" approach for nearly every other encounter, and grief has too many mobs for that. casting confusion a couple of times will trivialize it.

cazador would be very difficult if they weren't undead, but the game throws incredible anti-undead gear at you. war caster shadowheart running spirit guardians can basically solo it with radiant orbs and lathander.

My last honour run involved a lot of actual CCs so I'm inclined to agree, Grief wasn't that bad that time around with a high DC lore bard Tav among others. Confusion shutting down half the fight at a time is such a game changer.

Ironically Caz was a massive pain in the rear end on that one precisely because they were undead and therefore weren't vulnerable to mind-affecting statuses; between that and also totally mismanaging characters that hadn't entered combat yet (hosed up and forgot to drop them back into turn-based upon engaging so they suddenly dropped out of invisibility completely out of position), I was left scrambling and completely ate poo poo, couldn't stop him from becoming the vampire ascendant.

Boy howdy, let me be the one to tell you: do not do that. I'd never had that happen before and I still won, eventually, but I had to withdraw probably three or four separate times before I finally avenged my boy and smoked him.

e: definitely a skill issue though because I'm stupid. I lost the run before that by forgetting to bring the Orphic Hammer to the endgame then (correctly) telling the Emperor to gently caress off which of course resulted in immediate ceremorphosis five minutes before the end of the game.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 31, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Goatson posted:

I think he's the hardest fight in the game. House of Hope #2. Cazador was easy for me, as was Grief once I learned to run back up the stairs

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thank you all for the input on companions!

So it sounds like there’s no substantive difference in relationship-building between companions who are actively in the party and companions who are at camp, because most relationship-building is accomplished through their personal quest lines. Is that correct?

If so, then does that mean we just go actively partying with the companions based on their class builds (which we can customize) and the vibes/dialogue?

I love the little conversations that the companions have while out and about, walking from place to place :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You'll generally get more approval from the party members you're out with most often, because all those little dialogue events add up over time. Also if that companion is in your party, you'll come across random events out in the world that are a part of their personal quest, which you'd otherwise never see if they're back at camp. For these reasons I like to decide who my main bitches are gonna be from the start of the game and stick with them unless otherwise needed.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I keep considering the jack of all trades run, but I’ve done warlock twice so far(I like warlocks, ok?) and I know I’d just play it like a budget warlock, spamming eldritch blast without the pact boons.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think the hardest act 3 fight now is the dame aylin fight if you hand her over to lorroakan. they gave her some powerful reinforcements in one of the latest patches.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Maybe I should keep shadowheart, Laez, and Astarion in my party then, for this generally good-dude Sorceror run. I like the banter between laez and shadow. And I’m unlikely to play an evil character, even if doing an URGE play through.

Next run I’ll be a bloodthirsty do-gooder and keep gale in the party.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Goatson posted:

I agree, that was the only fight in the game that threatened by Honor mode in Act 3. The end of the foundry also is very annoying.

Nere + Duergar ended one run, but that's mostly on me for not doing it right.

feller posted:

I think the hardest act 3 fight now is the dame aylin fight if you hand her over to lorroakan. they gave her some powerful reinforcements in one of the latest patches.

This has got to be the rarest fight out of anything right? Who would choose to go down this path is beyond me. You lose out on the best weapon in the game and it makes no RP sense.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Maybe I should keep shadowheart, Laez, and Astarion in my party then, for this generally good-dude Sorceror run. I like the banter between laez and shadow. And I’m unlikely to play an evil character, even if doing an URGE play through.

Next run I’ll be a bloodthirsty do-gooder and keep gale in the party.

There's points where you can influence them all into being better people if you want anyway.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thank you all for the input on companions!

So it sounds like there’s no substantive difference in relationship-building between companions who are actively in the party and companions who are at camp, because most relationship-building is accomplished through their personal quest lines. Is that correct?

If so, then does that mean we just go actively partying with the companions based on their class builds (which we can customize) and the vibes/dialogue?

I love the little conversations that the companions have while out and about, walking from place to place :)

Yup! Pick the characters you like and spec them how you see fit!

I'd keep the one who you have planned to romance in the group but otherwise yeah, you can swap out freely without worrying about ruining relationship.

And yeah, I love those little dialogues, I sometimes walk instead of fast traveling just to hear them on the way. :)

feller posted:

Good.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've reached the final dungeon. With 152 hours in total so far, this game is way too long for me to replay immediately, but one day I want to do a Durge run.

...with this mod that would let me play as a lich. How well does full-on necromancy (using the Necromancer wizard subclass, of course) work as a playstyle in this game? The most thematic seems like to focus on, in addition to summons, Necrotic damage with the mod's necrotic phylactery, but necrotic damage in my experience often isn't that useful because too many things resist or are immune to it.

Perhaps I could play a necromancer in BG1 + 2 as well and make up a backstoty that my lich in BG3 is Gorion's Ward in undeath.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 1, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I thought I would be burnt out and need to wait a while for run number 2. I lasted like 3 days before I started missing it lol.

It’s still a massive loving game but it does go faster on subsequent playthroughs now that you have some idea wtf is going on.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I have to say being unable to be healed by most magic will probably make the game a fair bit harder. Though not as much as 2E rules where healing is harmful to undead would be.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

This has got to be the rarest fight out of anything right? Who would choose to go down this path is beyond me. You lose out on the best weapon in the game and it makes no RP sense.

if you let balthazar take her in the shadowfell, she can still join your camp after the act is done. I felt real bad handing her over a second time lmao

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

I've reached the final dungeon. With 152 hours in total so far, this game is way too long for me to replay immediately, but one day I want to do a Durge run.

...with this mod that would let me play as a lich. How well does full-on necromancy (using the Necromancer wizard subclass, of course) work as a playstyle in this game? The most thematic seems like to focus on, in addition to summons, Necrotic damage with the mod's necrotic phylactery, but necrotic damage in my experience often isn't that useful because too many things resist or are immune to it.

Perhaps I could play a necromancer in BG1 + 2 as well and make up a backstoty that my lich in BG3 is Gorion's Ward in undeath.

So, it's a mixed bag. Realistically if you want to do necromancy good you're looking at 11 levels in Wizard (probably with your first level in Sorcerer of some kind - storm, most likely - for con save proficiency) to pick up Create Undead, one of the few spells in the game that doesn't have a scroll but which is necessary because the mummy it summons is pretty good. This is kind of a bummer because Necromancy as a school gets its best features at 6; the 10th level feature is just always-on resistance to necrotic which is situationally fabulous but useless ~90% of the time. However, Necromancy also does make your skeletons (always skeletons or ghouls, zombies and flying ghouls are trap options) scale with your level HP-wise. Reading the Necromancy of Thay all the way through will let you put a few more ghouls out per day. If you use the right gear your undead summons will be reasonably tanky. In the early and mid game they do respectable damage but that falls off toward the endgame. Assuming you summon elementals to supplement your undead you can drown some encounters in bodies. The micromanagement gets extremely real extremely quickly though. End of the day though you're still more or less a full wizard so relying on summons to get the job done is probably a mistake, you'll want to be using your spell slots for CC effects to assist them.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Does Dammon not take infernal iron in Act 3 for some reason? My wife has a ton, and I know he's supposed to be able to make special armor with it, but there's no dialogue option coming up for it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

About what I expected. Necromancy has always been kind of disappointing in the CRPGs I've played. :sigh:

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's definitely viable, don't get me wrong, and if you're down to control 20 characters per fight it'll probably be a lot of fun for you. You could also roll with a spore druid to get more and grosser albeit weaker undead minions, although that sounds like it wouldn't fit your roleplay as well

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
more dark urge revelations: how did larian manage to openly mention necrophilia in an official d&d product lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

more dark urge revelations: how did larian manage to openly mention necrophilia in an official d&d product lmao

There’s also incest in the Bhaal cult. Turns out the kind of people who worship the god of murder are pretty hosed up!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

just unlocked Karlach

this game is so good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Woolie Wool posted:

What a fun and detailed Mod!

I am always interested in pursuing necromancy or summon type builds but they never seem to be that fun in CRPGs.

Still gonna give the fungus druid a try at some point :)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Woolie Wool posted:

I assume you played Wrath of the Righteous, since it has an official Lich path

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Any tips for honor mode Cazador ? I plan to go in with my fire sorc Tav, bard Astarion, monk Lae'zel and light cleric Shadowheart. They can all put out a shitload of damage but I'm worried about the mechanics and what to do with Astarion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

- Cazador's compulsion spell is a CON check (not save). I believe it's an 18 if Astarion is not the MC and only a 10 if he is. If you wanna metagame it you can cast Enhance Ability and give him the CON amulet from House of Hope, or leave him far enough away from the group so that he doesn't aggro at all (if you're a coward).
- Give Shadowheart an Elixir of Vigilance so that she can cast Daylight immediately, it nerfs Cazador's teleport and makes him take 20 radiant damage per turn.
- Give the rest of your party bloodlust elixirs so that they can get extra turns against all the low HP trash mobs.
- Once Astarion is free, try to position your dudes so that they're standing on the beacons. Each one removes 1d10 damage from Cazador's attacks and gives it to them instead.

The hardest part of the fight is the first couple moves where Astarion is trapped and Cazador can insta-splat anyone else on Turn 1. Heroes Feast + upcast Aid is a must for HM.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlimGoodbody posted:

Does Dammon not take infernal iron in Act 3 for some reason? My wife has a ton, and I know he's supposed to be able to make special armor with it, but there's no dialogue option coming up for it.

Yeah I think that option is only available early on. Which sucks because the Steel Watchers drop iron like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lost my retainer posted:

Any tips for honor mode Cazador ? I plan to go in with my fire sorc Tav, bard Astarion, monk Lae'zel and light cleric Shadowheart. They can all put out a shitload of damage but I'm worried about the mechanics and what to do with Astarion.

blood of lathander, luminous armor and luminous gloves on shadowheart with a vigilance elixir will basically shut the whole fight down with radiant spirit guardians. lae'zel can drink a jump potion or precast gith leap with a strength elixir and just jump across the arena to free astarion. tav can cheer and play a song if you got the proficiency from alfira, maybe cast a spell if they feel like it. the main thing to watch out for on turn 1 is his legendary action that you should have someone other than sh or lae'zel eat.