Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
And if these festivals are bleeding money what is the justification for publicly funding them? What is the actual cultural gain over what laserface suggests? I don't understand why you seem so put out that there isn't a festival that appeals to you. There are plenty of festivals of varying scale for a wide variety of music, and I don't understand specifically why you feel put out that there isn't a festival that appeals to you. Why is dancing outside such a big deal to you yet you apparently don't consider dance music festivals worthwhile? I'm not trying to wind you up I just legit don't understand your viewpoint here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bucky host a festival

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

hambeet posted:

Bucky host a festival

I mean that is literally what people who are into niche musical genres that don't have broad appeal do every year so yeah, unironically this. I'm sure we all agree that these kinds of festivals could probably do with more funding but that isn't what bucky suggests, he's suggesting a top down funding first model which is not only an insanely hard sell on financials alone but seems like a recipe for grifters to run wild.

Also I really loving resent buckys implication that AJ Maddah paying people back when not under a legal obligation to do so is some kind of moral act on his part. Its not. He's a promoter, that's his skillset and I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not soundwaves failure was due to incompetence or circumstances but given that is what he does, him paying back bands is simply the bare minimum he needs to do to ensure that he can continue to work as a promoter

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 1, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

And if these festivals are bleeding money what is the justification for publicly funding them?

There should be public funding for tabletop wargames, roleplaying games and boardgame conventions!

Granted the smell might be worse and holding them outdoors would only work for the LARPers.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

There has been a non metal music festival once a month in Brisbane since November what are you talking about

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

top tier musicians that can't make a living playing music here

Make up your mind man!

And I'm talking about this:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

And if these festivals are bleeding money what is the justification for publicly funding them? What is the actual cultural gain over what laserface suggests? I don't understand why you seem so put out that there isn't a festival that appeals to you. There are plenty of festivals of varying scale for a wide variety of music, and I don't understand specifically why you feel put out that there isn't a festival that appeals to you. Why is dancing outside such a big deal to you yet you apparently don't consider dance music festivals worthwhile? I'm not trying to wind you up I just legit don't understand your viewpoint here.

The cultural gain is thousands of people dancing outside, which has been a vital and universal part of the human experience since the dawn of time. If the free market can't provide that then yes it should be publicly funded, but this conversation is about exploring ways to do it within the private sector. Happy to sign-off on all of Laserface's suggestions. Dance music festivals are absolutely worthwhile. RIP Good Vibes in particular. There should also be something for the Gen Y / Millenial crowd who can't handle necking a bunch of pills all weekend anymore and want to roll out a picnic blanket and enjoy some good poo poo without having to walk all over the shop.

What have you had up in Brizzy? What kind of crowd and what kind of attendance in what kind of places with what kind of bands in what kind of format at what kind of prices? I don't get out much any more, this isn't about what I want, it's about what's healthy for society as a whole.

And you bloody brought this up didn't you!? I was responding to this:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

After the splendour in the grass cancellation there was a callout for submissions wrt using arts funding to figure out a sustainable way to keep music festivals viable

also I'm not saying anything about Aj's moral character, just his qualifications to comment on the logistics of putting on a gig at the showgrounds, which we have subsequently ruled out in favour of setting up in a park.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Then yes, a lot of things happened and he spread too thin and made some bad calls

he also hosed people over for a percentage

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

People are still dancing outside bucky you absolute loving moron why do you insist on being the densest motherfucker alive. I'm sorry if sydney sucks rear end too much to have these things. Thats the only reasonable conclusion I can come to reading your posts on the matter. We had Juicy, Good Things, a massive NYE outdoor festival, another RNB festival I can't remember the name of all taking up roughly the same market size as Soundwave/Knotfest. There are also regular outdoor festivals on a smaller scale at the eatons hill hotel and countless bushdoofs. Regurgitator did an incredible festival for the Unit anniversary and it owned. People can still dance outside.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah there’s at least been at least half a dozen in Melb and across Vic already this year.

edit: just googled and found more

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think there are festivals where they have a theme and genre of music that's a bit smaller in scope, then festivals where you've got Bjork getting yelled at by whatever metal fans are there on that day.

Electronic festivals are still going well for instance.

I decided to investigate why my brain went to Bjork and it's because of 2008 big day out where the RATM fans were having a fit at Silverchair and Bjork lol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

People are still dancing outside bucky you absolute loving moron why do you insist on being the densest motherfucker alive. I'm sorry if sydney sucks rear end too much to have these things. Thats the only reasonable conclusion I can come to reading your posts on the matter. We had Juicy, Good Things, a massive NYE outdoor festival, another RNB festival I can't remember the name of all taking up roughly the same market size as Soundwave/Knotfest. There are also regular outdoor festivals on a smaller scale at the eatons hill hotel and countless bushdoofs. Regurgitator did an incredible festival for the Unit anniversary and it owned. People can still dance outside.

Fucks sake Jeremy, settle down. Much-loved festivals are collapsing to the point where it's a major news story, I'm not making this up. And you were the one who specifically said we need to figure out a sustainable way to keep them alive. To which my answer is: One stage, 10-15 bands, good food and drinks, in a nice centrally located field. That's how you do it. Laserface said just go to local gigs, to which I say cool but a big crowd outside is also important. 10,000 people in a field. I'm happy for the metal-heads but the other demographics need stuff too.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
festivals are bad and i don't personally care if they die, but the industry is absolutely struggling right now, there have been a lot of prominent festivals cancelled lately

i would prefer for the government to support the music industry in a way that supports the artists and isn't just propping up festivals

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

What festival has been canned apart from splendour? Groovin in the mood? Who could have predicted musical festivals in regional areas would be cancelled? And please point out where I said we need to figure out how to keep festivals alive, you are literally skimming posts without reading them. gently caress off dude festivals are still alive and viable. I'm sorry the money pits propping up air bnbs were cancelled but the festivals normal people can actually afford to do go are doing fine. Get over it. Just BC a bunch of media class fail children are writing articles about it doesn't mean it's real it just means they're as detached from reality as you are and they're mad BC they already booked a 6 bedroom house for splendour months ago and can't get the deposit back

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 1, 2024

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Electric Gardens music festival happened literally yesterday in Sydney, with a sold out crowd and several big name international DJs

Maybe you missed the r&b festival in parramatta last week
Or the drum & bass one that was also yesterday
Or the one in a couple of weeks with known metal bands like Blondie and Placebo
Or the sold out Field Day on NYD

But there’s no festivals these days

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Trying to insist Newington - which is an environmentally sensitive area and a wharf that at low tides can't be used built on a historic site with preserivie order over it and with no existing PT other than an asspull idea of ferries that above reasons won't happen - when Penrith Lakes exist and has been used for festivals - is stupid. Not that Penrith Lakes is great for purpose but it's better than an area that also has residents close enough that may well get real annoyed by the noise

I'm not sure trying to handwave someone who sounds like they stiffed people for a lot of money is a good look either

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 1, 2024

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

They are famously dropping left and right, to the point where it’s a pretty big news story, and yes unless you like metal there isn’t really anything.

I think the children are alright, it’s the promoters who are getting it wrong by failing to provide a sustainable offering.

And a bunch of other kings like Aussie dollar and cost of living.

So they need to take a look at how the metal bands are running things and copy their methods.

Also, hovercraft can easily be electric. You can even put solar panels over the skirts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

webmeister posted:

Electric Gardens music festival happened literally yesterday in Sydney, with a sold out crowd and several big name international DJs

That boomer Placebo festival had the weirdest lineup I wish I'd gone to check out the crowd lol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

webmeister posted:

Good for Electric Gardens. Looks like one stage, with five DJs, in a park in a central location.

Pandemonium (with placebo etc) has apparently had to downsize on the run to one stage, possibly two.

Glad Field Day is still rocking, they managed to pick the right date to lock in.

The point is that plenty have had to pull the plug.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Trying to insist Newington - which is an environmentally sensitive area and a wharf that at low tides can't be used built on a historic site with preserivie order over it and with no existing PT other than an asspull idea of ferries that above reasons won't happen - when Penrith Lakes exist and has been used for festivals - is stupid. Not that Penrith Lakes is great for purpose but it's better than an area that also has residents close enough that may well get real annoyed by the noise

I'm not sure trying to handwave someone who sounds like they stuffed people for a lot of money is a good look either

It's a sports field you dingbat. 5 minutes from Olympic park. But Centennial is still an option too.

Good luck getting people out to Penrith for the day.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

please point out where I said we need to figure out how to keep festivals alive

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

After the splendour in the grass cancellation there was a callout for submissions wrt using arts funding to figure out a sustainable way to keep music festivals viable

A sustainable way to keep music festivals viable is to have one stage in a nice field with good food and drinks, to watch about a dozen party bands. How controversial.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Aj maddah also loved throwing out clive palmer level right wing views on wokeness and blm and gender equality during his twitter height. A real fuckwit, so fitting company for bucky

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

A sustainable way to keep music festivals viable is to have one stage in a nice field with good food and drinks, to watch about a dozen party bands. How controversial.

So you agree they are still viable then

What's the issue

Go volunteer at your community radio station you can even get involved with some of them!

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 1, 2024

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Day on the green still does shows everywhere Bucky what the gently caress are you on about. A couple of festivals got canned but they’re run as businesses and businesses sometimes poo poo the bed. It’s not some catastrophe that requires a 10000000 word medium article to fix

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
you’re all like 40 or 50 years old, let it go

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So you agree they are still viable then

So you agree their ongoing viability is an issue that needs addressing then

gay picnic defence posted:

Day on the green still does shows everywhere Bucky what the gently caress are you on about. A couple of festivals got canned but they’re run as businesses and businesses sometimes poo poo the bed. It’s not some catastrophe that requires a 10000000 word medium article to fix

Day On The Green is a fantastic concept and if it didn't exist I would absolutely write a 10000000 word medium article about it. But they're not in the city so they don't answer this question.

Also username post combo, hey-yo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

birdstrike posted:

The successful festivals cater to people in their 30s and 40s and 50s. You can still go to things. It's legal.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So you agree their ongoing viability is an issue that needs addressing then

What the gently caress is your problem dude no I don't can you stop misrepresenting literally everything I post dude

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What on earth, I don’t have a problem dude, I thought you wanted to talk about the viability of various different models for live music, apologies if I misunderstood. I have no beef with you but I don’t dig this weird hostility.

hambeet posted:

Bucky host a festival

Yes clearly my social skills are definitely up to the task

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

birdstrike posted:

no

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

birdstrike posted:

Music festivals sound like an awful time but a looooot of people older than me love em so..... everyone else here is probably the prime market for them as well as you probably got the money to be able to get plastered on the 10 buck a cup beer

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

hambeet posted:

Bucky host a festival

bike festival?

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

Good for Electric Gardens. Looks like one stage, with five DJs, in a park in a central location.

Pandemonium (with placebo etc) has apparently had to downsize on the run to one stage, possibly two.

Glad Field Day is still rocking, they managed to pick the right date to lock in.

The point is that plenty have had to pull the plug.

"plenty" is not a name and it's baffling that when presented with literally four counterexamples you present "yeah but there are definitely others just off-camera that have had issues" and the one actual piece of evidence you present is a barrage of scare-media generically saying "things are bad" from outlets with a vested interest in presenting things as scarily as possible. Can you actually name the many doomed festivals?

Also arguably the giga-festival is an abomination that deserves obliterating.

(i am not an aussie, i am a bystander with friends in the area who finds this whole conversation baffling)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bicycle NSW holds one in October with a mass ride from Milsons Pt to Olympic Park, there is MS Gong ride in November and Bobbin Head Classic in March.

So three good bike festivals but one more would be great

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bucky!!! go to the bike festival and hand out copies of your manifesto path proposal!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hambeet posted:

bucky!!! go to the bike festival and hand out copies of your manifesto path proposal!

Please dont enourage that, we got enough problems with half assed badly thought out bike infra as it is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

Festivals are also hosed because the dollar is bad and Z tier international talent is going to other places that pay better.

Tbh I think festivals are just hosed because the culture has changed and no level of free for all drug use is bringing them back.

I can't emphasize this enough. I feel like there was a golden age of the Big Day Out where they could cram multiple big international acts into a day long festival and make money. And that golden age was when the Aussie Dollar and US dollar were close to parity, or when the Australian dollar was even above the US dollar. It was a weird time, the mining boom was booming hard, we took holidays to Hawaii because it was relatively affordable. Oh and it also killed off what remained of our manufacturing industry.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Please dont enourage that, we got enough problems with half assed badly thought out bike infra as it is.

more like dont encourage bucky to do that he already went to court for political stuff

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

the cyclists will either dig it or not. democracy! they can vote with their feet! wheels! whatever!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I can't emphasize this enough. I feel like there was a golden age of the Big Day Out where they could cram multiple big international acts into a day long festival and make money. And that golden age was when the Aussie Dollar and US dollar were close to parity, or when the Australian dollar was even above the US dollar. It was a weird time, the mining boom was booming hard, we took holidays to Hawaii because it was relatively affordable. Oh and it also killed off what remained of our manufacturing industry.

Look at where the Aussie dollar was at in the 90s and look at the line up of BDO.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
bike paths for some, miniature music festivals for others

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just want to see NIN...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Budzilla posted:

Look at where the Aussie dollar was at in the 90s and look at the line up of BDO.

It was the only one, it did six (maybe more?) shows and it toured while bands did loads of side shows. It's probably much harder to justify getting paid for a single weekend festival that's on hours out of town and a few side shows that pay poorly rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Good luck getting people out to Penrith for the day.

Ahhh yes problems getting people to Penrith for the multi day music festivals that have been out there, the running events, the Western Sydney 70.3 and any number of events Penrith Regatta hold every year.....

Yeah good luck indee..... oh wait.