Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Quackles posted:

amazing :allears:

Content:

AITA for showing my son how to shave?

I weep for this poor kid and any chance he has of a semblance of independence. If he has a mum who bursts into tears because she wasn't there to take a commemorative picture of him shaving for the first time. And at 14, what else has she insisted on "documenting" when he was younger.. Also, learning to shave is as simple as buying a pack of razors from the supermarket/chemists, pointing the sharp bit at your face, and dragging it across the hairs. Yeah, you'll get some shaving cuts whilst you are getting used to doing it, but this mum seems like the kind to ring 911 and rush him to the hospital if he cuts himself. Probably videoing "babbys first visit to the emergency room" whilst doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for sleeping with a guy after the man I thought was my bf said we were not a couple?

There’s a reading of this where he made a joke that didn’t land and she torched her relationship for it. But I don’t think that’s what happened.

Fella cut the rope tying them together and then stood there with the pair of scissors in hand like a stunned mullet going why aren’t you tied to me wtf

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

AceClown posted:

you mods, IK, whoever

Can I get a 6er with this picture of BIG JOHN

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

am i too late for this

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Thanks to this thread for inspiration on how not to be a stupid newbie anymore!

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for sleeping with a guy after the man I thought was my bf said we were not a couple?

There’s a reading of this where he made a joke that didn’t land and she torched her relationship for it. But I don’t think that’s what happened.

I'm voting ESH on this one - dude sounds like he told his girlfriend she wasn't his girlfriend and torched things, but she didn't make sure before burning things to the ground. She would have been way better off talking to him to be sure 'nah, we're not BF-GF, we're really just FWB' was really what he was saying. Maybe he hates the term 'boyfriend', maybe he has some weird plan in mind to surprise her, maybe he just hadn't realized that's what they were and putting a name on it scared him, there's lots of ways it could be some dumb misunderstanding or weird hangup. Her high-drama ending is more entertaining, but...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I'm voting ESH on this one - dude sounds like he told his girlfriend she wasn't his girlfriend and torched things, but she didn't make sure before burning things to the ground. She would have been way better off talking to him to be sure 'nah, we're not BF-GF, we're really just FWB' was really what he was saying. Maybe he hates the term 'boyfriend', maybe he has some weird plan in mind to surprise her, maybe he just hadn't realized that's what they were and putting a name on it scared him, there's lots of ways it could be some dumb misunderstanding or weird hangup. Her high-drama ending is more entertaining, but...

quote:

I felt literally sick but I tried to be calm and I asked so what are we, he said I don’t know. Really great FWB?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

That’s what I meant I could see that as a failed joke and she didn’t communicate anymore and torched things. But probably not.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If he's that bad at both joking and communicating and didn't notice her going dead silent the rest of the time, he shouldn't be in a relationship at all.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

You can be FWB and still be exclusive, he could have meant that.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

You can be FWB and still be exclusive, he could have meant that.

If she just let him speak she would've learned that by benefits he meant a retirement plan (together)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Tomfoolery posted:

If she just let him speak she would've learned that by benefits he meant a retirement plan (together)

friends with vision AND dental

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Look, if I am in any circumstance where I have to tell someone "I am not your girlfriend," I have been alerted to the fact that something is not on the level with the person I am talking to. Either they are hallucinating the relationship or something. I don't just let that pass. And if they go dead silent after that, I may suspect they have been hurt by what I said. And if I somehow did and that person starts avoiding me, maybe I put together 1 and 1 and make 2. And if somehow none of that was in my notice, I don't find out the other person is cheating, with the words "Well, we're not a couple, so I'm free to do whatever," and STILL not think "Hey, is this tied to the only thing I have said to them in a week?"

This guy is terminally unobservant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Desert Bus posted:

It's fun to have fun pictures in your rap sheet. All it costs you is 6 hours of not posting which is something any vaguely functional human should be able to handle.

A funny picture is a better probe than my usual 'being a dumbass' reasons.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My first thought in response to him saying he wasn't her boyfriend was to think maybe he meant something else, like maybe he was going to propose and be like "see i"m not your boyfriend I'm your fiance". But reading the whole thing... no. If he just objected to the term boyfriend he had plenty of opportunity to clarify, and if he couldn't understand that she was upset I don't think their relationship was going to work anyway.

If it was somehow a misunderstanding then it was still his fault for loving it up so bad but maybe he can learn from it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 1, 2024

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITAH? My (39F) Ex husband (37M) is insisting I change my last name back to my maiden name because his new fiancé (24F) feels it will be awkward for her and I to have the same last name. AITAH for refusing to change it?

quote:

My (39F) ex-husband (38M) has been dating this women for 3 years. My ex and I were married for 12 years, and have been divorced for 5 years, we have three kids together who are now teenagers.

My ex and I got divorced because we were young when we met and got married and we grew apart as people. It was a mutual decision, and we agreed our kids came first and have always coparented very well.

This has been the case up until the last year when his girlfriend moved in with him. Previously we would do holidays and kids birthdays together, now when she is present they won’t even sit near me at our kids sporting events. I have always been nice to this women, despite my kids expressing they do not like her and they feel their dad acts differently when she is around. My ex told me early on she wasn’t a fan of me and felt I intimidated her. When I asked him for examples of how intimidated her, he said it’s my face, that I have resting bitch face and it makes her uncomfortable.

My ex and her got engaged over Christmas and my kids were less than thrilled, my daughter especially. She feels her dad made a major life decision without even talking to them about it first.

My ex called me yesterday saying he is giving me a heads up that I have a year to change my last name back to my maiden name as his finance is expressing her distaste and concern for her and I to have the same last name when they get married. I told him we agreed in our divorce that I could keep his last name until I felt the need to change it, and that is what is listed in our paperwork. I also told him I don’t want to have a different last name than our kids. He said I’m being unreasonable and refusing to see how this would make his finance uncomfortable. I told him I can’t see it from her side because I am a grown up, and not an immature child like she is.

He told me I could ask anyone about this situation, and everyone would agree with her. So, AITAH for refusing to change my last name to make her happy?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Runcible Cat posted:

Long but the Spirit of Pete blesses many in the updates:

My, 28f, fiancee 29m, wants me to put his family before mine, even at the expense of my families health

He then started saying I couldn't be serious, we'd been together for 7 years and I was throwing it all away, I could never find another guy like him. I responded to the last comment with, I dont want a guy like you that's why I'm ending it.

lol.

That's a good one right there.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

AITAH? My (39F) Ex husband (37M) is insisting I change my last name back to my maiden name because his new fiancé (24F) feels it will be awkward for her and I to have the same last name. AITAH for refusing to change it?

quote:

Yes, I told him how my daughter felt after they got engaged and his response was “their opinion doesn’t matter, they will be grown and out of the house in a few years so I’m not going to put my life on hold for their opinion.

Why not go back to your maiden name and have the kids, who don't seem to much like him anymore, to change theirs?

quote:

I did offer that as a solution and he completely lost it saying he is their dad and they deserve to have his last name. Yet when I said I wanted the same last name as our kids, he told me that wasn’t a legitimate reason to not change it.

aha.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mx. posted:

Get the kids to change their last name to her maiden name, problem solved.

LOL

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Really want to know this guy's master plan for when the year is up, you gonna sue to have the court change her name against her will? Sure thing, just go ahead and pay your lawyer up front for that one lol

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Obnoxipus posted:

I would love a horrible puppet probe to be the first mark on my rap sheet.

:hmmyes:

Mx. posted:

Fiancé is correct in the title but “finance” throughout the post and it’s pissing me off.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Crocobile posted:

Fiancé is correct in the title but “finance” throughout the post and it’s pissing me off.
Oh thank gently caress, it's not just me then. There's only so many times you can blame it on autocorrect, after a point they're just doing it on purpose.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ravenfood posted:

So, this poor woman was in her third trimester, was not on any kind of maternity leave and so presumably also still working, cooking all the meals dor her MIL and FIL, and also physically lifting her FIL. What in the gently caress are this guy and his entire extended family bringing to the table? She's being a full-time caregiver, working a job that's probably full-time, and in her third trimester.

Last page was a lot of laughs, but that OP needs an acid put full of razor wire.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

And he's one of what, EIGHT kids? And not a drat one of them are doing a thing to help their father, it's all on this guy's wife? Man, I hope she takes that baby and runs like hell. Let him lift and cook and clean and everything else he expects her to do for his family.

Also . . . can I get a Big John probe?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

mystes posted:

My first thought in response to him saying he wasn't her boyfriend was to think maybe he meant something else, like maybe he was going to propose and be like "see i"m not your boyfriend I'm your fiance". But reading the whole thing... no. If he just objected to the term boyfriend he had plenty of opportunity to clarify, and if he couldn't understand that she was upset I don't think their relationship was going to work anyway.

If it was somehow a misunderstanding then it was still his fault for loving it up so bad but maybe he can learn from it.

Nah, I'm sticking with ESH and I really don't see how people consider her reaction reasonable. I think it's dumb to completely blow up and burn to the ground a seven year relationship over one comment and one quick follow-up right after. If the relationship has seven years of history, why not wait overnight, then ask for clarification the next day? In a seven month relationship if my partner said something really weird and confusing I'd wait a day for any emotions to cool off, then have a conversation the next day. Not putting in that kind of small effort to rule out any of the weirdness and inconsistency that people do makes no sense to me, it's not like waiting for one day and one potentially-final conversation is a huge investment. I think the result of that conversation would probably be a breakup in this case, but I don't understand not being sure.

And if you do think the thing is over, why not just say that on Saturday and be done with it instead of obsessing over it, then implementing a complex plan to bang someone else and entice the other person to ask questions that let you drop the 'I spent the night with another man' bomb on him in response? I'm not a fan of RL drama so maybe I just don't get it.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 1, 2024

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Where are you getting seven years from, she said they were together for nearly one year. Or not together, I guess.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nah, I'm sticking with ESH and I really don't see how people consider her reaction reasonable. I think it's dumb to completely blow up and burn to the ground a seven year relationship over one comment and one quick follow-up right after. If the relationship has seven years of history, why not wait overnight, then ask for clarification the next day? In a seven month relationship if my partner said something really weird and confusing I'd wait a day for any emotions to cool off, then have a conversation the next day. Not putting in that kind of small effort to rule out any of the weirdness and inconsistency that people do makes no sense to me, it's not like waiting for one day and one potentially-final conversation is a huge investment. I think the result of that conversation would probably be a breakup in this case, but I don't understand not being sure.

And if you do think the thing is over, why not just say that on Saturday and be done with it instead of obsessing over it, then implementing a complex plan to bang someone else and entice the other person to ask questions that let you drop the 'I spent the night with another man' bomb on him in response? I'm not a fan of RL drama so maybe I just don't get it.

Her action wasn't reasonable. I still don't think she's an rear end in a top hat for it. She was upset to the point of physical nausea because a guy she thought was her boyfriend for that long responded to a nice thing she did by saying he wasn't her boyfriend. (said multiple ways, with a clarification that he doesn't even know what they are other than FWB) And then he proceeded to just show he's the most oblivious moron on the planet. How many times do you ask a question before you accept an answer?

And you are seriously projecting the entire plan thing. It sounds like something she said (or did) on a whim at to hurt him, because she was upset and he was oblivious. And somehow that still didn't clue him in, which is amazing. I'm not really sure he's sapient right now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

My own romantic history isn't great, but saying "I love you," and having it reciprocated to someone you don't consider yourself in a relationship with seems pretty weird.

The guys a dumbass is what I'm saying.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

wizardofloneliness posted:

Where are you getting seven years from, she said they were together for nearly one year. Or not together, I guess.

Nobody reads the actual posts

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like she should have said what the problem was, but him not getting it after she said that "Since we're not a couple" thing is absolutely stunning, I'm still reeling. I'm not sure he'd understand the words "I am upset because you said we're not together" after that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

maybe he has some weird plan in mind to surprise her,

Yeah no, please don't do this IRL. If any part of your plan involves hurting or upsetting someone before the big final reveal, no, do not do it.

If that was his plan then he deserves to die alone.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm not sure he'd understand the words "I am upset because you said we're not together" after that.

"Why would you be upset about that? Are you upset that you're not together with Pete Davidson or Taylor Swift? Not being together is the default. I don't understand?"

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 1, 2024

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Seven year relationship was in the Rob Blows Up His Whole Life For Misogyny story posted on the same page as I'm Not Your Boyfriend (Wait, Why Aren't You My Girlfriend?)

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Why not go back to your maiden name and have the kids, who don't seem to much like him anymore, to change theirs?

aha.

"The kids deserve to have my last name" sounds like a punishment.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Midnight Voyager posted:

aha.

This is the logical and correct solution here and one that all the kids are old enough to consent to. This is a power move by dad and new wife to dictate who is and isn't a member of the family and they deserve to have that question answered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Seven year relationship was in the Rob Blows Up His Whole Life For Misogyny story posted on the same page as I'm Not Your Boyfriend (Wait, Why Aren't You My Girlfriend?)

I can only think of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVGMKXGvpCA

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

not-my-girlfriend did her due diligence - she asked, she asked again, she asked what he thought they were. there's only so many times you can ask a person! it's on him to say what he actually means, and apparently he didn't actually mean they were just "really good friends with benefits"

she's in the clear, he deserved everything he got

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

My (27M) girlfriend (26F) of 4 years rejected my proposal because she wanted more time. AITAH for breaking up with her and kicking her out of my apartment?

quote:

I was in a relationship with my girlfriend for 4 years. We really loved each other, my family loved her, her family loved me. We had discussions of marriage, we made plans for the future, how many kids we wanted. My girlfriend was always extremely excited about it. Over the last few months, I was giving her consistent hints that I was going to propose to her, and last weekend I booked a nice resort, where I would plan to propose to her at a private place.

Well when I did propose to her, she somehow seemed shocked about it, and asked if she could have a few more months. That just completely stunned me and was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my life. My girlfriend kept apologizing, saying she just needed to be in the right mental space, and that right then, she wasn’t. She cried and promised me that we were technically engaged, she just needed a few more months to officially accept the proposal. I felt empty, sad, embarrassed. I felt horrible. When we returned back to our apartment, she was apologizing a lot, and there was also a lot of crying. The whole situation for me was so heartbreaking and embarrassing, that I could not talk about it with any of my friends or even my parents. I could only consult my siblings.

My siblings had completely contrasting opinions. My brother told me maybe she got cold feet, and a lot of people get cold feet, and to just give her time because she seemed like a genuine person. However, my sister told me what my girlfriend did was girl code for cheating and that my girlfriend was probably ashamed about accepting about my proposal, given that she most likely was having an affair. My sister told me that my girlfriend would probably call off the affair in the next couple of months, after which she would be comfortable accepting the proposal.

Completely contrasting opinions, but I sided with my sister because my brother gets a bit naïve at times. The more I thought about, the more what my sister said made logical sense, and that just shattered my heart even more.

So a couple of days ago, after my girlfriend came home from work, I told her we were done and that she had a couple of hours to pack up and leave. I gave her no heads up about it. I gave no reasons. She was shocked and talking a lot, asking why, but at this point, I just didn’t trust her anymore. She obviously cried but I was over it. A couple hours later, her friend came to pick her up, and I blocked her number so I didn’t get any more texts. I am still suffering a lot, and it will take a lot of time to heal through this. AITAH?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Sex Farm posted:

Nobody reads the actual posts

The seven years one is the guy who started hanging around his lovely dad and got cut off by his mom and brother.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

t-.-t posted:

My (27M) girlfriend (26F) of 4 years rejected my proposal because she wanted more time. AITAH for breaking up with her and kicking her out of my apartment?

Breaking up after a failed proposal isn't uncommon, nor is it an rear end in a top hat move, but this guy is absolutely a loving monster.

There's no other proof GF was loving around, right? I didn't just blank that out?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Nothing obvious. OP is confused and hurt, which isn't that odd considering his partner of four years decided she's not fully onboard yet, but his sister gave him an outlet to take his pain out which he jumped at. Going to assume sister didn't like her much beforehand.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I mean it's pretty normal to break up after a failed proposal. There's no more obvious sign you're just at different points in your life and have vastly different ideas for what the relationship is, which is a real good reason to end things. It's pretty silly to get all paranoid and invent a reason beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

t-.-t posted:

However, my sister told me what my girlfriend did was girl code for cheating and that my girlfriend was probably ashamed about accepting about my proposal,

The more I thought about, the more what my sister said made logical sense,

lmao

Maybe GF was just really unsure that she wants to marry someone this dumb and gullible lol.

"GIrl code" jfc