Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

JBP posted:

It was the only one, it did six (maybe more?) shows and it toured while bands did loads of side shows. It's probably much harder to justify getting paid for a single weekend festival that's on hours out of town and a few side shows that pay poorly rn.
It was more of a counterpoint to the fact that how the AUD is doing does not really have that much to do with music festival lineups. There is plenty of good music to go see. There is the Lookout festival north of Brisbane this weekend and I spent 3 loving seconds looking for live music happening near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Seven Deadly Sins posted:

"plenty" is not a name and it's baffling that when presented with literally four counterexamples you present "yeah but there are definitely others just off-camera that have had issues" and the one actual piece of evidence you present is a barrage of scare-media generically saying "things are bad" from outlets with a vested interest in presenting things as scarily as possible. Can you actually name the many doomed festivals?

Also arguably the giga-festival is an abomination that deserves obliterating.

(i am not an aussie, i am a bystander with friends in the area who finds this whole conversation baffling)

It was Jezza's premise, not mine. He specifically said the government were looking for ways to make festivals more viable in the wake of multiple cancellations. All I've done is propose a format I think would work well.

But since you asked, it has always been notoriously difficult to put on festivals successfully in Australia, and we have seen countless come and go, which I didn't think I needed to name:

Future Music
Big Day Out
SoundWave
Good Vibrations
Stereosonic
Peats Ridge Festival
Falls Festival
Playground Weekender
Livid
Pitch
Pyramid
Vintage Vibes
Costal Jams
Dark Mofo
FOMO
Mountain Sounds
Homebake
Groovin the Moo

As someone said, businesses go bust all the time, and some simply move on, but the turnover in this industry is far higher than average. That's obviously due to a number of reasons, and each event is different. I think a common factor is population density. We have 1/3 the people of the UK, in 32 times the space. So the culture isn't the same. But the general changes we've seen post-covid have made it even more challenging. And now it’s got to the point where events that used to be considered bulletproof are cancelling too, leading to the questions currently being asked.

The coutner examples were one that’s literally half way to collapse and is giving out two for one tickets, one with five acts on one stage like I’m suggesting, two that weren’t named which I admittedly am not familiar with, and one that’s been fortunate enough to achieve bullet proof status by being in a nice park in the middle of the city on a public holiday.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Please dont enourage that, we got enough problems with half assed badly thought out bike infra as it is.

Please don’t do this man. I appreciate the scrutiny you put it through and it withstood the lot.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 1, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Please don’t do this man. I appreciate the scrutiny you put it through and it withstood the lot.

It withstood absolutly gently caress all without even trying to nominally test it, dont kid yourself.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Lol, like gently caress it did.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Budzilla posted:

It was more of a counterpoint to the fact that how the AUD is doing does not really have that much to do with music festival lineups. There is plenty of good music to go see. There is the Lookout festival north of Brisbane this weekend and I spent 3 loving seconds looking for live music happening near me.

I mean I think it would do considering how competitive entertainment has become after covid. I'm sure there are a zillion festivals all going at once paying top odds, which makes it hard with exchange in the mix.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just want to see NIN...

Find a promoter who'll guarantee a trip to .au will be profitable for your fave band. It's mostly impossible unless you're a top tier act who can sell out multiple nights in the same venue.

I have friends who can get an offer to play 3 shows in Tokyo and the promoter can afford to guarantee it. So they go to Japan. Australia, nope.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

the turnover in this industry is far higher than average. That's obviously due to a number of reasons, and each event is different.

Got a source for that champ?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
everybody shut up

https://twitter.com/ABSStats/status/1774557303934464045

stat hat

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Supreme X ABS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As you can no doubt tell from my av I fukken LOVE stats and graphs and I would have totally bought a LIVE GRAPH LOVE mug, I'm mad it's just an Aprils Fool post

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It withstood absolutly gently caress all without even trying to nominally test it, dont kid yourself.

Ok well no disrespect but imma take the word of the guy who’s literally dedicated himself to riding over all of Sydney and documenting the infrastructure over someone who thinks the end of the M7 at Abbott rd is "fine".

Did you have a chance to try either of these routes yet though? They’ve cut the grass in front of Alice Watkins if that makes a difference. Don’t forget about the dozen stairs on Redbank though.

gay picnic defence posted:

Got a source for that champ?

For which bit? The turnover? Look at the graveyard man. How many festivals that were around 10 years ago are still around today? How many festivals around today have been around longer than 5 years?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you can go to music festivals in fortnite

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As you can no doubt tell from my av I fukken LOVE stats and graphs and I would have totally bought a LIVE GRAPH LOVE mug, I'm mad it's just an Aprils Fool post

Goddamnit.

Legit wanted that first cap.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The best april fools joke would be if they were joking about it being a joke and it turned out to be legit

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 1, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What the gently caress is your problem dude no I don't can you stop misrepresenting literally everything I post dude

I see you haven't spoken to Bucky before.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm sorry I got so mad yesterday but I genuinely didn't expect my light ribbing about a conversation we had in GBS to become an earnest discourse and I certainly didn't expect him to reveal at the end that he didn't actually read any of my posts in that thread or this one like dude I read your whole loving article on q anon and you can't even read my posts wtf dude

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Legit considering getting the mug made as a gently caress you to the ABS for not letting me have that mug for reals

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm sorry I got so mad yesterday but I genuinely didn't expect my light ribbing about a conversation we had in GBS to become an earnest discourse and I certainly didn't expect him to reveal at the end that he didn't actually read any of my posts in that thread or this one like dude I read your whole loving article on q anon and you can't even read my posts wtf dude

Engaging in good faith seems like a dumb thing to do. Bucky is yet again wading into a conversation that he has no actual experience or understanding of - painfully noticeable by his referencing of considering AJ Maddah a decent source of information instead of one of the industry's most prominent cons and one responsible for the current state of the industry - and expecting everyone to be wowed and amazed by a sub-high school level explanation, because calling it analysis honestly does a disservice to high schoolers who can write.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nam Taf posted:

Legit considering getting the mug made as a gently caress you to the ABS for not letting me have that mug for reals

I would legit buy that mug for work

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ok well no disrespect but imma take the word of the guy who’s literally dedicated himself to riding over all of Sydney and documenting the infrastructure over someone who thinks the end of the M7 at Abbott rd is "fine".

This is called "appeal to authority" via "I ride bike!" and it doesnt work when you are trying to do that by vs someone with 120,000kms in Sydney alone over the last 11 years.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

if i rode 120,000km and were still in sydney, i'd be upset too!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't want to drag this into today, but of course I read your posts. You thought I was talking about top-down funding cos I mentioned it in gbs weeks ago (in the context of "if the private sector can't deliver it"), but I was honestly just talking about the format, and I did try to clarify that early on. I didn’t expect “festivals are fine actually” to be an earnest discourse when they've been dropping for years and it's one of the main stories of the week and the cancellation of one that always sells out was literally where you began the conversation. I'm glad you've still got some decent gigs up there. I still think this would be a good show.

Ah, are you saying that the Showgrounds is a financially sustainable venue to hold a hypothetical one-stage festival with a local line-up then?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is called "appeal to authority" via "I ride bike!" and it doesnt work when you are trying to do that by vs someone with 120,000kms in Sydney alone over the last 11 years.

This is called "appeal to authority" via "I ride more bike!", and it doesn't work when you insist that crossing 19 lanes of traffic and riding one meter away from trucks going 110 km/hr is suitable for parents with kids on the back because it's something you personally don't mind putting up with.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Once again, Cat interceptor's Fit Cyclist vs Buckys Casual bike rider augments. Seriously, you both have different things you want from cycling infrastructure and something for people who solo ride with speed is not for people who ride with others to get places. is that so hard for both of you to understand?

All I care about cycling is not getting a puncture from every ride from these stupid grasses in adelaide because i always get seam punctures that never hold patches

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 2, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ssmagus posted:

All I care about cycling is not getting a puncture from every ride from these stupid grasses in adelaide because i always get seam punctures that never hold patches

The Superhighway Delivery Authority will have a small but dedicated team of sweeping machines that constantly loop the network to keep it clean for you.

ssmagus posted:

Once again, Cat interceptor's Fit Cyclist vs Buckys Casual bike rider augments. Seriously, you both have different things you want from cycling infrastructure and something for people who solo ride with speed is not for people who ride with others to get places. is that so hard for both of you to understand?

Right, except I'm not taking any of his away, while he's basically saying "FYGM".

If we want Active Transport to become a viable form of movement for the masses, which would solve a wide range of many problems, we need a safe and comfortable contiguous network, and this map is absolutely the most cost-effective and least disruptive way of doing that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows lending to investors — otherwise known as landlords — has jumped almost 20 per cent in the past year.

Almost four in 10 people taking out a mortgage now are landlords."

lol

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-02/house-prices-continue-to-rise-as-number-of-landlords-increase/103654522

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

For which bit? The turnover? Look at the graveyard man. How many festivals that were around 10 years ago are still around today? How many festivals around today have been around longer than 5 years?

How can you claim it is a disaster or whatever without comparing to other industries over the same period?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010

The Superhighway Delivery Authority will have a small but dedicated team of sweeping machines that constantly loop the network to keep it clean for you.
Great and all, but sweeping is not the problem there

Right, except I'm not taking any of his away, while he's basically saying "FYGM".

If we want Active Transport to become a viable form of movement for the masses, which would solve a wide range of many problems, we need a safe and comfortable contiguous network, and this map is absolutely the most cost-effective and least disruptive way of doing that.
And that's just missing the point and just taking the piss on cat interceptor, can you both get a loving room or something

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Someone please threadban all cycle chat autists

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ssmagus posted:

Great and all, but sweeping is not the problem there

Oh, so what is the problem? I thought you were talking about little spikes that blow on to the path or something.

quote:

And that's just missing the point and just taking the piss on cat interceptor

People bring it up out of the blue to take the piss all the time. I let almost all of it go cos I'm happy to take a joke (and if I didn’t we'd never get anything else done), but when someone goes out of their way to sincerely call it badly thought out and discourage people from sharing it, then yes I’ll speak up because in all seriousness it is absolutely solid and it absolutely matters.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ssmagus posted:

Seriouspost for a moment here, the actual thing I want is actually exactly what you want. Sydney does have some good cycling areas but there is some truly ridiculous crap that absolutly will stop casuals that does need to be addressed and be done twenty years ago. It can be done and some councils are actually trying to do it - sometimes pretty badly too unfortuantly and thats something that needs to be avoided.

What I've liked to do and invite People Who Matter to ride and experience the good and the bad and that's helped a bit but in the end what I really want is to get people out of cars and onto PT or self-powered transport and that's the way this city should be going. Cars loving SUCK for commuting. Ride or walk to a Metro/heavy / light rail or bus, go close to your destination, ride or walk the rest of the way. Like City of Victoria B.C., they dont have trains but they got an impressive bike network and buses everywhere that you can put your bike on.

I'm more onboard with Building Beautifully's idea of "Build Metro EVERYWHERE" than anything else honestly. Metros are awesome.

quote:

while he's basically saying "FYGM"

Mate, no. Just....... No. Just because I think your plan is not good doesnt mean that at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 2, 2024

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hold up everybody! Like usual Cartoon has all the answers.

Festivals aren't working due to policing costs? Self declare the park/Council tip/Unremediated industrial waste ground an emergency search zone and have the police perform the searches on stage! Win-win! Sure to be a huge increase in ticket sales. The police have all they want and the punters get a great show. No security costs. No site rentals. No need for insurances. Just a quick stage knocked together by the PCYC on the weekend prior. Happy to have this used without acknowledgement or payment. 40 000 page manifesto to follow. Oh and no need for portapotties or portapotty queues, BYO shovel!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dunno if there’s enough builders line in the country to measure out a festival sized grid

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Would I care about bucky's routes? i live in Adelaide not Sydney why would i care.
Would I care about building over/underpasses on terrible traffic corridors? yes
Would I care about smoothing bike trails/footpaths and fixing them? yes, but pedestrians would want bikes on the bike paths and not on footpaths. if there's no room for a bike lane then everyone's hosed i guess because houses are sacred
Would I care about putting no parking zones under hills so i can see if cars are coming over the hills and are not blocked from parked cars? yes
Would I care about more bike lanes? maybe if they had barriers, but car driving psychos are going to be psychos
Would I care about banning cars from parking in bike lanes? yes
Would I care about free puncture repair kit stations? not really
Would I care about smoothing gradients on steep hills that have no real ways to go around? yes
Would I care about buses with bike racks? maybe if i pedal on a long trip or if it's raining, but a bike to the shops rider wouldn't really care
Would I care about banning SUV's because they are the loving worst thing about any sort of cycling anywhere without making something dangerous? yes
Would I care about more trails in general? someone else would but i just go to places that already have trails or lanes and new ones don't change anything unless i move somewhere else
Would I care if i am a speed rider and some slow rider is in front of me? consider that some speed riders have abused me for not riding at their speed you will need to make a causal bike trail and a speed trail if this keeps happening cause this happens way too much, assholes. Turning a biking trail into car lanes 2.0 is pretty hosed up imo if it's needed

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 2, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

"Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows lending to investors — otherwise known as landlords — has jumped almost 20 per cent in the past year.

Almost four in 10 people taking out a mortgage now are landlords."

lol

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-02/house-prices-continue-to-rise-as-number-of-landlords-increase/103654522

Oh its going to be bad when the bubble bursts isnt it

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Just ban landlords, Adam smith and Karl Marx agreed that Landlords should not exist

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

if i rode 120,000km and were still in sydney, i'd be upset too!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Any day now lol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm more onboard with Building Beautifully's idea of "Build Metro EVERYWHERE" than anything else honestly. Metros are awesome.

Mate, no. Just....... No. Just because I think your plan is not good doesnt mean that at all.

When I propose a way to get from the end of the end of the M7 to Parramatta River, and you say "there already is one which is fine for me", and then insult me for the effort, that's essentially what you're doing. The fact that you don't mind doing it has no bearing on its suitability as a genuine route for the masses. And that dynamic is what defined most of the conversation.

Sharath from Building Beautifully said the plan was great too, and was particularly keen on the airport to opera house route, and pleased about using the Man o War steps and Port Authority as ferry stops. Oh and it got the green light from the Traffic Engineering thread in A/T too.

Anyway, if you draw us a map for where you want your metro to go I'll gladly try and tear it to pieces for you. They are indeed awesome, even if they serve <10% of the people for >100 x the cost. There's no reason they should be considered mutually exclusive.

Quite literally the single best thing people in Sydney can do today - for cost of living, climate change, public health, and urban safety - is to send it to their representatives in the state and local governments and implore them to push it towards the Transport Minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The bubble has been going to burst for something like the last 15 years, I think it's just going to continue as is, and the divide between people who can afford houses and who can't will just keep getting bigger.