Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

DemihumanResources posted:

Discord is terrible and has decided to start showing ads because why hold back, really

https://archive.is/SPgOM

While I think this is just for the streaming part, I hope this drives it into the ground and pushes people back into better standards. Anyone have experience with matrix/synapse/element?

I don't think the Wall Street Journal usually does full article pranks? I'd be happy to be wrong.

Well the "Quests" slider is already there in your privacy settings, and on by default, so go turn that off.

I had a look at the discord test branch (the PTB) but it seems to just be the same as stable right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Nettle Soup posted:

Well the "Quests" slider is already there in your privacy settings, and on by default, so go turn that off.

I have absolutely had it with "we'll just opt you in" poo poo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cat botherer posted:

The screens are tilted so far away from the chair angle, how can they read poo poo? Data and Geordi probably can, but I'm pretty sure everyone else just has regular eyes.

In the future we have evolved beyond poor eyesight, everyone has 20/10 vision.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MikeJF posted:

In the future we have evolved beyond poor eyesight, everyone has 20/10 vision.

Out of those two specific seats, one dude has robot eyes and one is a robot

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Discord rules because they keep trying to monetize their product and their bountiful data harvest, but their product is "IRC, but with a much lower bar for entry" so the lunatic userbase will always be at odds with anything resembling profit or respectability

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Road paint sucks. Most of the time you can't see it because it fades in a week. They replaced the old one saying it wasn't good for the environment but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the costs since that's a lot of gas being used for the paint truck and a lot of materials for the pigment being reapplied far more often.

Its most difficult in the night because road work crews, when changing the shape of a road, will put a black substance over the old lines not to confuse people - only that that substance is far more visible and appears tinted white in the headlights whereas the new paint is hardly visible or already worn away.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Houle posted:

Road paint sucks. Most of the time you can't see it because it fades in a week. They replaced the old one saying it wasn't good for the environment but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the costs since that's a lot of gas being used for the paint truck and a lot of materials for the pigment being reapplied far more often.

Its most difficult in the night because road work crews, when changing the shape of a road, will put a black substance over the old lines not to confuse people - only that that substance is far more visible and appears tinted white in the headlights whereas the new paint is hardly visible or already worn away.

Ugh, for real. loving Maryland is the worst about this. Lines become completely invisible with just a slight drizzle. Had to pop over to PA recently on a rainy day and as soon as I crossed the state line I could see the lane markings again. You'd think they'd be a little more proactive with how terrible people drive, but here we are.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dear UI designers STOP ADDING TOO MUCH PADDING TO EVERYTHING

I am using a computer I do not need things to be all spread out so you can touch them on your tablet why are you making me use tablet-size menus

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrQwerty posted:

Out of those two specific seats, one dude has robot eyes and one is a robot

We prefer "neurodivergent" to describe Wesley Crusher, not "a robot"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

while their friends watch on Discord.

Phrasing...

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

They painted a message on the road near a school telling people not to stop there (because parents are always just stopping in the middle of the road to pick up their kids) except they did it like this:

STOP

NOT

DO

And now my brain goes "STOP NOT DO!" every time I pass it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MikeJF posted:

I am using a computer I do not need things to be all spread out so you can touch them on your tablet why are you making me use tablet-size menus

While some mobile-first patterns are a miss on the desktop, touch-compatible paddings and targets are a major accessibility win - not everyone is capable of 360-NOSCOPE-ing everything with their mouse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's fair but I'm still grumpy about the latest chrome UI refresh. Not sure it actually does any accessibile improvements so much as just cargo cults the design styles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 1, 2024

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Just use the Discord browser app, preferably in a container tab, to block all the dumb bullshit and tracking.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

They painted a message on the road near a school telling people not to stop there (because parents are always just stopping in the middle of the road to pick up their kids) except they did it like this:

STOP

NOT

DO

at these words, banzan was enlightened.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

is pepsi ok posted:

Sounds like you need a newer vehicle with a five foot high squared off front so that you never see anything at ground level again.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Blue Moonlight posted:

While some mobile-first patterns are a miss on the desktop, touch-compatible paddings and targets are a major accessibility win - not everyone is capable of 360-NOSCOPE-ing everything with their mouse.

I design and build desktop software. Specifically, I work on production-class software which informs a lot of my opinions about how UI should be built. I have so much to say about this, and I would love to turn this into a talk at some make believe software design conference.

In summary: The whole 'padding = accessibility' is horseshit.

For a phone, there isn't really a good way to get away from it, but I wanna complain about the desktop and on the desktop 'accessibility' is only a truth by way of dictionary definition and not actually so in practice. You bleed massive amounts of functionality with this awful design paradigm and you get marginal benefits in narrow circumstances at best. We occasionally have gotten feedback that folks with dyslexia can use our dense context menu easier with some padding (and so we added an option for this - that's right! An option! It took me 4 hours. Crazy loving idea that...)

This idea that someone can't click a compressed UI is some straw man that I swear a consultant made up. A small, small button would be something that's about 30 x 50px. I think the smallest element in the entire tool is probably one of those context menu items which run 28px tall. If the argument is, 'Well, some users can't hit that 28px window', my response to that is, 'Then that person can't use a computer'. A text line with 12pt font is 20px tall total - can they not highlight text either then? The bookmark bar in Chrome is only 35px tall. Firefox's is only 30px - can they not use a browser? Who is this mystical person who all of a sudden can't use the baseline basics of a computer, but only when it's *your* software they are using? I'm not willing to cripple the software I build so people that can't hit a target smaller then 100px tall can use my stuff. If you *must* do this, think about that ahead of time and build your UI such that there are options for this. Lowest Common Denominator software is not the way.

Modern software design isn't 'accessible'. It's bad, it's lazy, and the designers that design it are terrible.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

is pepsi ok posted:

STOP

NOT

DO

Don't most messages written "on the road" directly go in that order? The idea you'd read it as they came into focus for you, so the "bottom" word first even though it is backwards to how we read?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I design and build desktop software. Specifically, I work on production-class software which informs a lot of my opinions about how UI should be built. I have so much to say about this, and I would love to turn this into a talk at some make believe software design conference.

For a phone, there isn't really a good way to get away from it, but I wanna complain about the desktop and on the desktop 'accessibility' is only a truth by way of dictionary definition and not actually so in practice. You bleed massive amounts of functionality with this awful design paradigm and you get marginal benefits in narrow circumstances at best. We occasionally have gotten feedback that folks with dyslexia can use our dense context menu easier with some padding (and so we added an option for this - that's right! An option! It took me 4 hours. Crazy loving idea that...)

This idea that someone can't click a compressed UI is some straw man that I a consultant made up, I swear. A small, small button would be something that's about 30 x 50px. I think the smallest element in the entire tool is probably one of those context menu items which run 28px tall. If the argument is, 'Well, some users can't hit that 28px window', my response to that is, 'Then that person can't use a computer'. A text line with 12pt font is 20px tall total - can they not highlight text either then? The bookmark bar in Chrome is only 35px tall. Firefox's is only 30px - can they not use a browser? Who is this mystical person who all of a sudden can't use the baseline basics of a computer, but only when it's *your* software they are using? I'm not willing to cripple the software I build so people that can't hit a target smaller then 100px tall can use my stuff. If you *must* do this, think about that ahead of time and build your UI such that there are options for this. Lowest Common Denominator software is not the way.

Modern software design isn't 'accessible'. It's bad, it's lazy, and the designers that design it are terrible.

I like this although I also think that’s one thing when you are using the same software day in day out 8 hours a day and another when you are navigating five different websites because you are comparing suppliers or something, all with their own hierarchy of information.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Last Visible Dog posted:

I ran into this one a while back:

You took a picture of your phone? Why not just screen capture it?

is pepsi ok posted:

STOP

NOT

DO

I don't know who decided this was the way to paint messages on the road. I read from top-down like everybody. Nobody reads them in the order they're meant to be read.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
... Discord has loot boxes now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2-4ci4G84

Eh?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Look at the date

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

credburn posted:

You took a picture of your phone? Why not just screen capture it?

I tried that first, but it had been disabled for security reasons. Turns out captchas are a serious business!

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

rafikki posted:

Look at the date

Eh?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Last Visible Dog posted:

I tried that first, but it had been disabled for security reasons. Turns out captchas are a serious business!

Palate cleanser for the thread: when I got a train in Norway, the mobile ticket featured the "animal of the day" to show the conductor. It was an ocelot that day. I took a screenshot because it was fun, and it yelled at me but still took it

I think there was a QR code as well, but the conductor was just looking for ocelots :3:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

rafikki posted:

Look at the date

With how discord has been going, with all their extra little things to boost and pay for
and getting to use emoticons across other discords;
it feels less like a joke, and more like testing the waters, like the panda bears from WoW.
April fools day is just a cover story for becoming shitter.

Edit: April fools days got shitter too; corporations need to shut the gently caress up.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 1, 2024

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

corporations need to shut the gently caress up.

evergreen

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Ugh, for real. loving Maryland is the worst about this. Lines become completely invisible with just a slight drizzle. Had to pop over to PA recently on a rainy day and as soon as I crossed the state line I could see the lane markings again. You'd think they'd be a little more proactive with how terrible people drive, but here we are.

I mentioned lovely Maryland road paint to my coworker just this morning. Apparently he hasn't noticed a difference from Colorado so I guess maybe the paint also sucks there.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Here in Florida the road paint dissappears when it rains at night which is all the time.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

sometimes in massachusetts when they work on the highways they paint new lines but leave the old ones and when it gets dark or rainy you cant tell the difference and its impossible to tell if youre in the lane or not

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Wait, disabled on your own phone / not a work phone? How does that work?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MrTargetPractice posted:

Here in Florida the road paint dissappears when it rains at night which is all the time.

It doesn't matter no one pays attention to lanes here. I like to count how many cars inch into the bike line every time I ride. It's horrifying.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Atopian posted:

Wait, disabled on your own phone / not a work phone? How does that work?

Ha, no it was totally a work phone.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MrTargetPractice posted:

In Seattle they have little reflective road bumps like every three feet for every lane marker. They honestly make driving in the rain - which is even more always than your always - not bad at all. Florida should spend an extra $0.14 /mile and significantly improve the road infrastructure.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BigHead posted:

In Seattle they have little reflective road bumps like every three feet for every lane marker. They honestly make driving in the rain - which is even more always than your always - not bad at all. Florida should spend an extra $0.14 /mile and significantly improve the road infrastructure.

Yeah that was awesome. They had very smooth (and well maintained) but black asphalt roads everywhere around that area. Those reflectors should be on every single road.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BigHead posted:

Retroreflective panels. They're very common, I'm surprised their use is limited enough in the US you identify them with Seattle.

In the original form in the UK they were made of aluminium with two beads facing each direction, giving you extra directionality. The part with the fragile reflectors was on a flexible base so it could push down into the road when something too heavy went over the top, so it didn't break as easily. And a little static rubber wiper meant every time they got pushed down they got wiped clean. Very durable, simple, well designed, low maintenance.

The upfront cost was a little bit more though so you don't see them in a lot of countries and instead they just use the plastic ones and replace them when they break.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In PA, at night in the rain I pretty much just follow the car in front of me and hope they can see

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MikeJF posted:

Retroreflective panels. They're very common, I'm surprised their use is limited enough in the US you identify them with Seattle.

Their use seems to vary hugely, even within the same region. Here in the Vancouver surrounds, you'll see roads that use these every three feet, roads that just have them in the midpoint between lengths of road lines, roads that don't have them at all, and and and on with 20 different varieties of marker depending where you are. There doesn't seem to be an codified system of use, just whatever was in fashion when the road was built.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

We have reflectors/cats eyes down here too bit they aren't installed consistently. Sometimes they are ild/damaged/underwater and don't work very well when they are around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This idea that someone can't click a compressed UI is some straw man that I swear a consultant made up. A small, small button would be something that's about 30 x 50px. I think the smallest element in the entire tool is probably one of those context menu items which run 28px tall. If the argument is, 'Well, some users can't hit that 28px window', my response to that is, 'Then that person can't use a computer'. A text line with 12pt font is 20px tall total - can they not highlight text either then? The bookmark bar in Chrome is only 35px tall. Firefox's is only 30px - can they not use a browser? Who is this mystical person who all of a sudden can't use the baseline basics of a computer, but only when it's *your* software they are using? I'm not willing to cripple the software I build so people that can't hit a target smaller then 100px tall can use my stuff. If you *must* do this, think about that ahead of time and build your UI such that there are options for this. Lowest Common Denominator software is not the way.

I remember someone comparing an early 90s store / warehouse system that was keyboard only vs. a later mouse based GUI and his conclusion was the keyboard only software was superior, once you got over the initial hump of only using a mouse. Man I've tried to find that article again, I can't even remember if it was an article or a youtube video...