Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I got like 35 or so achievements just playing through the game, although I don't really care about grinding them out or going out of my way for them.

I did decide to look at some of them on Steam to see what the game wanted that I didn't do, and apparently one of the secret ones is have a fight break out in your house between the characters that love you which is funny as hell, almost makes me want to go for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lt. Broccoli posted:

I've been trying a less-severe setup from level 1, most especially reducing exp by 75%, and all I gotta say is watch out for the stagger/impact settings. At .5 to them and 1.25 to me, all I could do was walk into a bandit camp before they'd throw me into a circle and chain-beat me to death.

Are you playing a Fighter/Warrior? I've been playing that setup since level 1 but my pawn is the one that's tanking which might be the difference.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

GruntyThrst posted:

Mystic Spearhands, what are your go to skills? I struggle a lot with damage on big dudes and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

I have the augment that increases damage to vitals and then there are opportunities to just absolutely destroy enemies.

I find that the best moves are just for closing distances, and some of them work better with a warfarer build (like the one that lets you sap stamina from small enemies).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

I have the augment that increases damage to vitals and then there are opportunities to just absolutely destroy enemies.

That augment raises critical hit modifier from 1.5x to 1.55x.
It's mostly placebo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Don't worry about the feats, more than half of them are 5% bonuses.

The knockdown and knockdown resist augments are pretty good at endgame because the percentage matters and you get a hefty chunk, especially if you stack rings on there. Of course that still means you're in the endgame and it doesn't matter.

Edit: This is my pawn at endgame stacked for knocking big poo poo down, it's a little cookie cutter but the fire mace just rules. I'll put her in the sheet in a bit.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 1, 2024

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
If you roll over into NG+, I've heard it replaces all the seeker tokens you've picked up so far. Does that also reset the reward list for turning them in? I was just wondering if you can get 100+ in one run and then get the rest in the next for the items / the achievement.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

whats the most fun or strongest class in peoples opinion?
I both liked and hated warrior, doing giant hits to stagger big enemies was very fun but it sucked having the slowest attack speed out of anything in the game and just getting exhausted and bounced around too much im trying out spearhand and it seems pretty effective but i miss doing the big hits

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I both liked and hated warrior, doing giant hits to stagger big enemies was very fun but it sucked having the slowest attack speed out of anything in the game and just getting exhausted and bounced around too much im trying out spearhand and it seems pretty effective but i miss doing the big hits

Both me and my pawn are running warrior, it rules so much. I actually wonder if weapon/gear weight influences attack speed on warrior. I'm about to wyrmforge all my gear and it'll put me into light encumbrance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The real answer is Warfarer but other than that, I think Thief is very much busted and also fun.
Sorcerer is also pretty busted for being able to finish fights before they even start but less fun.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: This is my pawn at endgame stacked for knocking big poo poo down, it's a little cookie cutter but the fire mace just rules. I'll put her in the sheet in a bit.

I thought my archer had pretty good Knockdown, but those are the highest Knockdown values I've ever seen. I assume literally everything gets staggered constantly.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I really enjoyed fighter, and may just go back to it after I level the rest. Being able to just go toe to toe with things and parrying are really fun to me.

Archer is really fun too once you get past the initial level hump. They can do some serious damage.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing spearhand, warrior and now thief and they are all fun in a different sort of way. I miss the brutality of the warrior but certainly not the slowness. Still no idea what is my "main" choice. Gotta level up thief some more at least.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, a blender with a blade like a wet noodle

Skill issue, truly

Upgrade your weapon or something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Got warrior up to level 7 and finally had enough and switched to Archer because it was just so slow. Turned my main pawn from a maxed out fighter to a babby Warrior and he's much, much better at it than I was. Mystic Spearhand has been my favorite so far though, getting to toss the whole party behind forcefields, use telekinesis to turn enemies into weapons, and that speed skid/teleport was so much fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some lady offered to sell me a house in battahl and I'm like sure lemme sell some stuff and be right back. Then I come back and realize there's another 0 on that price tag I didn't absorb lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't want to judge but 30k really should not be an issue at that point in the game.

Alright maybe I'll judge a little

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Probably the optimal melee fit for me is Warfarer split between Thief and Warrior, with the thief attack dash and grapple pull and Warrior's rising charged attack. Can deal with nearly nything in the game, with lots of mobility, a dodge, and can pull harpies down.

I'd try a Warrior/Archer build in order to deal with anything (the former build can't do much against flying bosses that stay flying for extended periods), but I will never be a controller shooter guy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's also a house for 300k, might be what they're talking about.

Haven't found any reason to buy either of the expensive houses tbh.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Some lady offered to sell me a house in battahl and I'm like sure lemme sell some stuff and be right back. Then I come back and realize there's another 0 on that price tag I didn't absorb lol

start selling materials, like you dont have to keep more than say 15-25 or something in the bank.

also fwiw golems are easy money b/c the magick medals they drop are worth 1500/ea and they always drop like 5-7 (when you break a medal off, check the ground). dont sell the supergolem electrums unless you have a lot b/c those golems are quite rare. two regular golems usually spawn outside bakbattahl

also just a funny golem thing but if you get their head knocked off the golem can still use it to shoot but you can also push it around so if you're good you can shoot the golem with its own head

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How do I get the quest to buy the house in the first city? I watched a stream of someone playing and they had someone approach them the first time they visited the city but I've been in and around it for 30 hours now and about to move onto the beastren city and never got the quest to watch the lady's house for her.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Edit: ^^^ I got them by just walking around in the cities. Walking past them they stopped me.^^^

So has anyone managed to get the (battahl side quest spoiler) petrified Medusa head for the statue maker? I tried it and I guess I wasn't a high enough level to cut her head off quickly, the one I got was withered.

Draven fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 1, 2024

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Draven posted:

Edit: ^^^ I got them by just walking around in the cities. Walking past them they stopped me.^^^

So has anyone managed to get the (battahl side quest spoiler) petrified Medusa head for the statue maker? I tried it and I guess I wasn't a high enough level to cut her head off quickly, the one I got was withered.

I did this today and I think you need do to a very specific thing for it.

I knocked her down and two handed sword overhead execution strike to the head. It instakilled her with like 4 healthbars left and dropped her head. It eventually decayed after a few camping days but I'd already done the quest so I didn't have a use for it or a reason to track the decay time

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Demiurge4 posted:

I did this today and I think you need do to a very specific thing for it.

I knocked her down and two handed sword overhead execution strike to the head. It instakilled her with like 4 healthbars left and dropped her head. It eventually decayed after a few camping days but I'd already done the quest so I didn't have a use for it or a reason to track the decay time

That might be it. I was a thief and figured being able to just wail on the head would be enough. Ah well, there's always ng+

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I thought my archer had pretty good Knockdown, but those are the highest Knockdown values I've ever seen. I assume literally everything gets staggered constantly.

Yeah it's pretty good. The mace has the dwarf smithing upgrades and I gave her the knockdown power augment and ring. I think the augment is percentage because it gives her almost 200 extra.

Draven posted:

That might be it. I was a thief and figured being able to just wail on the head would be enough. Ah well, there's always ng+

She respawns after a few days. I've killed her three times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This badge seems a bit cruel

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah it's pretty good. The mace has the dwarf smithing upgrades and I gave her the knockdown power augment and ring. I think the augment is percentage because it gives her almost 200 extra.

I have the ring. If the augment is one of the actually useful ones and gives her 200 extra Knockdown :eyepop: holy poo poo, I might actually level up Fiona as a Warrior for a bit.

e: I think I'll get rid of Gratification to make room for it, getting health upon killing an enemy doesn't seem super useful all things considered

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 1, 2024

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Now that I've finished the game and cleared the True End, I'm fairly confident in saying that overall I'm pretty disappointed, but had a great time for enough of it. More Dragon's Dogma is never a bad thing, but DD2 is a bit of a sidestep that mostly distances itself from what I found so stellar about the original in the first place.
Much of my problems really stem from the game ballooning in size to nearly 5x the scale of DD1, but I don't feel it did enough to justify that. This is largely very objective and I don't doubt I'm in the minority here. There are a whopping 50 caves dotted around the world map, but with the majority of them being a chain of prefab rock rooms that house common mobs like goblins and saurians, with a handful of potions or equipment you can also find at a vendor as a reward, it felt less like "adventuring" and more like a memetic routine of locating & ticking off waypoints. Compared to DD1, with its relatively slim amount of points of interest, would dedicate a lot more resources into individualising them, or making them these sprawling DnD-esque dungeons full of secrets, loot and climbing points that were thrilling to explore. I don't feel that DD2 really has anything remotely like that. Maybe if I'm generous, Dragonbreath Tower was a bit of a standout because of its multi-layered layout that had a lot of nooks and crannies to interrogate, but the location itself pales in comparison to its DD1 parallel, Bluemoon Tower - not only in terms of detail but also pomp and story significance. The whole game rings like this and all kind of wore me down; scrubbing away the world map's fog of war and only getting nondescript caves called like "Crypt of the Forebear" housing poison Saurians protecting their Salubrious Draught treasures and daggers I've already outgrown. Main story quest basically trails off like it has dementia the moment you reach Battahl, there are no characters or even antagonists possible to care about (when you see the slaver from the intro again he has nothing to say??????). Nothing seems to really matter until post-game. Why do so many quests in this game with limited fast travel have a "return to me after a few days" component. It's funny that the best music in the game are the tracks straight from DD1. I enjoyed the combat, sure, but I enjoyed the combat in DD1 and felt that the world had more to say on the interim - I feel like I had fewer Experiences in these 55 hours than the 20 it took me to finish DD1.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I have the ring. If the augment is one of the actually useful ones and gives her 200 extra Knockdown :eyepop: holy poo poo, I might actually level up Fiona as a Warrior for a bit.

e: I think I'll get rid of Gratification to make room for it, getting health upon killing an enemy doesn't seem super useful all things considered

Alright I've double checked and it's actually 112 from the augment. I have two rings because I'm in NG+ and with two rings plus the augment she gets to 974 knockdown power lmao.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Alright I've double checked and it's actually 112 from the augment. I have two rings because I'm in NG+ and with two rings plus the augment she gets to 974 knockdown power lmao.

So how often does she knock down big monsters? I assume anything small is just instantly embedded into the earth.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Decided to go Trickster for NG+ just to see how it goes. I was running with a Fighter/Warrior/Sorc team but the Sorc had Meteor and Maelstrom so it was just a bloodbath on their part. So I got rid of them and put in a Thief. It's pretty actually a lot of fun just setting up my simulacrum and buffing my allies. Sure, they're all like level 65 with endgame gear, but it's great watching them swarm an ogre, and just destroy it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FauxLeather posted:

Now that I've finished the game and cleared the True End, I'm fairly confident in saying that overall I'm pretty disappointed, but had a great time for enough of it. More Dragon's Dogma is never a bad thing, but DD2 is a bit of a sidestep that mostly distances itself from what I found so stellar about the original in the first place.
Much of my problems really stem from the game ballooning in size to nearly 5x the scale of DD1, but I don't feel it did enough to justify that. This is largely very objective and I don't doubt I'm in the minority here. There are a whopping 50 caves dotted around the world map, but with the majority of them being a chain of prefab rock rooms that house common mobs like goblins and saurians, with a handful of potions or equipment you can also find at a vendor as a reward, it felt less like "adventuring" and more like a memetic routine of locating & ticking off waypoints. Compared to DD1, with its relatively slim amount of points of interest, would dedicate a lot more resources into individualising them, or making them these sprawling DnD-esque dungeons full of secrets, loot and climbing points that were thrilling to explore. I don't feel that DD2 really has anything remotely like that. Maybe if I'm generous, Dragonbreath Tower was a bit of a standout because of its multi-layered layout that had a lot of nooks and crannies to interrogate, but the location itself pales in comparison to its DD1 parallel, Bluemoon Tower - not only in terms of detail but also pomp and story significance. The whole game rings like this and all kind of wore me down; scrubbing away the world map's fog of war and only getting nondescript caves called like "Crypt of the Forebear" housing poison Saurians protecting their Salubrious Draught treasures and daggers I've already outgrown. Main story quest basically trails off like it has dementia the moment you reach Battahl, there are no characters or even antagonists possible to care about (when you see the slaver from the intro again he has nothing to say??????). Nothing seems to really matter until post-game. Why do so many quests in this game with limited fast travel have a "return to me after a few days" component. It's funny that the best music in the game are the tracks straight from DD1. I enjoyed the combat, sure, but I enjoyed the combat in DD1 and felt that the world had more to say on the interim - I feel like I had fewer Experiences in these 55 hours than the 20 it took me to finish DD1.

This is largely how I feel about the game as well. The larger map doesn't really have much interesting to justify the vastly inflated size, and most of the enemies are the same goblins/harpies/wolves I've been fighting for nigh on 13 years now. From the new creatures they've added, Minotaurs are just lamer Eliminators, the Sphinx fight has a lame gimmick, and I think the Medusa only spawns in one very specific location? Even when I did fight it it just aimlessly meandered around while my party circle beat it to death.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Isaac the merchant quest:

Geez, don't say that out loud while the guy is standing right there!

For me it took an embarrassingly long brain process to realize what I should do considering the guy you buy the second volume from is the forger

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish enemies were a little more likely to in-fight.
A Griffin might drag you next to a Golem and a pack of wolves and they'll completely ignore each other, targeting you first.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the Medusa only spawns in one very specific location? Even when I did fight it it just aimlessly meandered around while my party circle beat it to death.

Yeah I noticed this too, and it made me realise that most of the larger enemies in this game barely seem to know how to attack you effectively. It feels like they just swing in random directions if anything, they're more of a threat to oxcarts than the player or even pawns. In honesty, I never actually fought the Sphinx (but I did fight the post-game superbosses and the issue persisted lol) so maybe I missed this game's Vergil. I think if this game is at its hardest when you're fighting a few too many elite goblins who can lunge from a mile away and chain stunlock you, we've got a bit of a problem.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Your pawn only updates for others at inn/house rests, right? Campfire rests don’t update the pawn for others? I know that inn/house rests give you updates on if your pawn was used, but that’s the only time your pawn’s rift stats/vocations/gear update for others too, right?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

Yeah I noticed this too, and it made me realise that most of the larger enemies in this game barely seem to know how to attack you effectively. It feels like they just swing in random directions if anything, they're more of a threat to oxcarts than the player or even pawns. In honesty, I never actually fought the Sphinx (but I did fight the post-game superbosses and the issue persisted lol) so maybe I missed this game's Vergil. I think if this game is at its hardest when you're fighting a few too many elite goblins who can lunge from a mile away and chain stunlock you, we've got a bit of a problem.

cyclops with clubs seem to actually be the most competent, its too bad they're chumps

Mordiceius posted:

Your pawn only updates for others at inn/house rests, right? Campfire rests don’t update the pawn for others? I know that inn/house rests give you updates on if your pawn was used, but that’s the only time your pawn’s rift stats/vocations/gear update for others too, right?

pretty sure this is the case since it appears to only contact the server when you rest in house/inn, which is probably why you also find pawns in various states of equipped and skilled since the pawn owner may not have rested after a vocation change on the pawn (and i think it updates the pawn when you change vocation)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Trickster is so incredibly frustrating to play, mostly because pawns can be really dumb

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I downed my first drake. That was pretty rough, until I realized that savage lash can't hit for poo poo, but warrior's like jumping attack just rips them apart.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
almost all I do as warrior is the uppercut and execute. and jog. I don't know why other skills exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

FauxLeather posted:

There are a whopping 50 caves dotted around the world map, but with the majority of them being a chain of prefab rock rooms that house common mobs like goblins and saurians, with a handful of potions or equipment you can also find at a vendor as a reward, it felt less like "adventuring" and more like a memetic routine of locating & ticking off waypoints.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Elden Ring, but at least the minor dungeons in that game have some variety and end in a boss fight, so you feel like you've accomplished something clearing them. I just stopped exploring caves in this after a while, because they rarely contained anything interesting.