Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Basically boils down to uptime and safety; the gatling has more dps but goes through its ammo at a equivalent rate and wastes ammo continuously firing while switching targets... meaning it'll cut you in half if you're between enemy A and B.

The MG turret is generally worse, but is situationally better at mid range or an extended engagement where it's dealing with multiple angles... but it can be overrun by a large group at close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Away all Goats posted:

It's a counterintuitive but you wanna shoot at what looks like the most armored part of the head

EAT, Recoilless Rifle, and Quasar can all one shot Chargers this way

I might be alone in this but I found the devs' insistence that legging was not intended to be the best way to deal with chargers kind of weird, and the changes to deflection and head health a little disappointing.

Shooting the most armoured part of the living cow-catcher bug is definitely counterintuitive. Also there are a million games where you shoot stuff in the head to kill it, I enjoyed the extra steps. Dealing with chargers initially reminded me of that scene in Starship Troopers where Johnny Rico climbs up the big bug, shoots a hole in it and tosses a grenade in. That scene would've been a lot less cool if someone just shot it once in the face.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There are too many chargers for a multi-part minigame of killing them to be fun at high difficulties, especially since with hulks it's just a matter of one or two headshots.

Now if bile titans or tanks worked that way it would be neat.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tommy the Newt posted:

I might be alone in this but I found the devs' insistence that legging was not intended to be the best way to deal with chargers kind of weird, and the changes to deflection and head health a little disappointing.

Shooting the most armoured part of the living cow-catcher bug is definitely counterintuitive. Also there are a million games where you shoot stuff in the head to kill it, I enjoyed the extra steps. Dealing with chargers initially reminded me of that scene in Starship Troopers where Johnny Rico climbs up the big bug, shoots a hole in it and tosses a grenade in. That scene would've been a lot less cool if someone just shot it once in the face.

I initially thought blowing a giant hole in their side was going to be the way to go, then get a grenade or shoot bullets in the hole. Nope, blow off one drum stick on the biggest creature when all the littler creatures survived losing multiple legs. :)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finally gave the revolver a shot. If it just reloaded anywhere near as fast as the pump shotguns it would be a great gun. Planting one right between the eyes of a berserker is very satisfying.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It would be an interesting alternative if charger legs were a little less heavily armoured and given more health to compensate. Let AC/Laser Cannon/Impacts break leg armour and then give the stripped leg like +60% more health than it currently has.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I initially thought blowing a giant hole in their side was going to be the way to go, then get a grenade or shoot bullets in the hole. Nope, blow off one drum stick on the biggest creature when all the littler creatures survived losing multiple legs. :)
It's really weird how blowing a giant chunk off the side of a charger is the least threatening thing you can do to it. It doesn't bleed out and the resulting weak spot is tiny and incredibly finicky to hit despite looking like it's lost half its body.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Darox posted:

The gatling is far more prone to teamkilling while swinging around and also wastes ammo faster when it locks onto something bulky it can't hurt like a charger. It's still better in most situations though, the machinegun taking longer to run dry is rarely useful compared to the raw dps of the gatling.

Don’t sleep on the other turrets imho. Rocket and Cannon very handy to throw down to deal with big boyz

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Sindai posted:

There are too many chargers for a multi-part minigame of killing them to be fun at high difficulties, especially since with hulks it's just a matter of one or two headshots.

Now if bile titans or tanks worked that way it would be neat.

There used to be too many chargers. IMO it's pretty reasonable now. I think they either needed to make them easier to kill or make fewer of them, not both. Chargers are a joke to me now, idk

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
team reload is fun when you can actually do it

for a good time if you're ever in a crew with somebody who has an autocannon get them to call a spare in for you during extract and swap off buddy-reloading for each other. you have the power of god and anime on your side

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Don’t sleep on the other turrets imho. Rocket and Cannon very handy to throw down to deal with big boyz

The autocannon turret is the best sentry against bugs, if you keep it from being swarmed it will murder everything up to and including bile titans with ease.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm a big fan of the mortar turret. It feels like it can shoot forever and there's nothing it can't obliterate.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I don't see many people use the AC turret for some reason, I've not been using it myself for that exact reason, I figured it was bugged or not working right or something..

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

You kind of need the level 3 Ship Upgrade for AC turret to go from “kind of decent” to “murders all bugs”.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Horace Kinch posted:

I'm a big fan of the mortar turret. It feels like it can shoot forever and there's nothing it can't obliterate.

So it is possibly the other peoples fault but I'm pretty sure that's already my most teamkilly weapon having only unlocked it the other day, it just loves pelting the enemies people are engaging with shotguns the most it seems and I feel bad using it.

This is the first team game I've played with pubbies in a couple years and it is interesting seeing the psychology at work, you can see why some people have trouble with games sometimes. Most of my interactions have been positive or neutral (nobody talking, just doing the mission with no upsets or surprises) but then you get that minority who don't seem to understand anything at all, fighting endlessly over an already destroyed and finished objective like a base, dying multiple times instead of just moving away, finishing the main objective and then heading over to do a previously hidden sub objective in the north when the extraction is in the south and there's a minute left with no reinforcements and they're carrying all the samples.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Turrets have a lot of potential, but the risk that something you haven't seen just KOs it instantly is ever-present and kind of puts me off using them.

Relatedly, I think the game needs a stratagem menu terrain overlay to show surfaces they won't stick to, because nothing is more infuriating than dropping your turret on an elevated position only to have it bounce off into the weeds. Same for planting hellbombs near the eyes of Sauron etc. I understand why they might want to prevent cheesing by camping with turrets in inaccessible locations but I really don't think it would be OP to be able to place them on most surfaces tbh, especially not when they're competing with the extraordinarily flexible value of eagles and stuff.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if you can keep the swarms off it and it decides to cooperate the AC sentry will just eat bile titans for breakfast.

also dunno if this is new but if you stand behind the rocket sentry it can knock you prone from backblast

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tommy the Newt posted:

Turrets have a lot of potential, but the risk that something you haven't seen just KOs it instantly is ever-present and kind of puts me off using them.

Relatedly, I think the game needs a stratagem menu terrain overlay to show surfaces they won't stick to, because nothing is more infuriating than dropping your turret on an elevated position only to have it bounce off into the weeds. Same for planting hellbombs near the eyes of Sauron etc. I understand why they might want to prevent cheesing by camping with turrets in inaccessible locations but I really don't think it would be OP to be able to place them on most surfaces tbh, especially not when they're competing with the extraordinarily flexible value of eagles and stuff.

Yeah you should be able to like, drop the beacon if you're crouched or prone, that'd be very useful sometimes.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The real problem with turrets is that it's impossible to tell which rocks you can throw a beacon straight down onto and which ones will bounce it off into narnia. The ones where it sticks make for fantastic elevated turret positons for better coverage and an angle that reduces teamkilling risk, and when it bounces it inevitably ends up stuck in some ditch with awful angles.

This along with all the detector tower hellbomb issues, they really should do a bugfix pass on stratagem balls.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Had a good Spear night on Bot diff7. One shotting cannon towers, tanks and fabricators from all angles and infinite range is fantastic. Just wish it locked on better. I found my first cannon tower it refused to lock onto until I walked a quarter of the way around it, then it deigned to lock.

Seems to be two hits to a hulk's front, which is brutal because that's half your ammo and it's charging at you the entire time. Hulks are basically a team effort or a stratagem call-in with just the Spear.

The change that made the yellow world ammo boxes give it one rocket back each time means I'm hoovering them up at each PoI to keep it running.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Lladre posted:

I wonder if it's your armor model. Do you run with an armor that is uncommon?

I think i was running the Padded Heavy armor set but i dont know how likely that is. Ive run it after without the shield pack and quasar cannon without issue.
Mech aside i think AH has been pretty good about making sure none of the player models intersect with the gun barrel even when firing supine and prone

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

So it is possibly the other peoples fault but I'm pretty sure that's already my most teamkilly weapon having only unlocked it the other day, it just loves pelting the enemies people are engaging with shotguns the most it seems and I feel bad using it.
No, it is incredibly prone to teamkilling vs bugs and I think people don't realize how often their poo poo is murdering the other players. I really don't like it when people bring it vs bugs. Pairing it with the EMS mortar can help but even so.

Against bots is a lot better.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I took off recon armor for the first time in weeks last night and didn't realize you don't get any enemy radar blips without it. I had thought it just extended the range or something. if I wear recon armor will my teammates see the blips even if they are wearing cool armor that gives them more grenades?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You do get them without, was there an atmospheric spore modifier in play?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

bsamu posted:

I took off recon armor for the first time in weeks last night and didn't realize you don't get any enemy radar blips without it. I had thought it just extended the range or something. if I wear recon armor will my teammates see the blips even if they are wearing cool armor that gives them more grenades?

Yes. Scouts can ping the map with markers and your allies will see the blips too.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Your allies can't see your radar blips regardless of the armour sets either of you are wearing. Scout armour just adds radar scanning to your map ping, everybody gets regular enemy scanning around them that can be improved by a ship module and a pod enhancement.
Like dandy mentioned the Atmospheric Spores effect blocks enemy tracking, same for ion storms.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lamquin posted:

Wait wait wait WHAT. Is THAT why I've been having inconsistent oneshots with the EAT?! WHAT. This game sometimes I swear. Where do I aim at Bile Titans? Not the head but some spot above it too?

It makes sense that front on the important bit would be under the most armour. Anyway, for Bile Titans you want, if you can, to put your round through the cheeks. Ideally when it is opening its mouth to spit at someone else. That can allow a one-shot. Otherwise two to the head should kill it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

thebardyspoon posted:

This is the first team game I've played with pubbies in a couple years and it is interesting seeing the psychology at work, you can see why some people have trouble with games sometimes. Most of my interactions have been positive or neutral (nobody talking, just doing the mission with no upsets or surprises) but then you get that minority who don't seem to understand anything at all, fighting endlessly over an already destroyed and finished objective like a base, dying multiple times instead of just moving away, finishing the main objective and then heading over to do a previously hidden sub objective in the north when the extraction is in the south and there's a minute left with no reinforcements and they're carrying all the samples.

I find a lot of Pub games on Suicide tend towards being very “completionist” and want to get every SEAF , every bot base, and you have to say something when there is 3 mins and 2 reinforces left and we’re not even heading for evac where you know they are going to come at you hard

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Like moths to a flame my friends are incapable of passing a base without stopping to destroy everything even if it's completely out of the way and has two turrets that pick them off one by one as they run across open fields to get the gear they dropped when the turret killed them seconds ago. I just gave up and started running 5's again against bots because it doesn't matter how many times I suggest that we cut our losses and run away due to losing 10 lives or more trying to take an inconsequential base and it still kept happening to us last night on 5's lol

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sindai posted:

I finally gave the revolver a shot. If it just reloaded anywhere near as fast as the pump shotguns it would be a great gun. Planting one right between the eyes of a berserker is very satisfying.

I want to love the Senator, because I'm a big fan of high powered revolvers in games. The fact that type of gun was a primary in Destiny is how I ended up putting 150 hours into it. That slow reload though. I feel like just adding speed-loaders for it, so you can can dump 6 high power bullets out and then refill the whole gun at once, and then I could consider taking it over the Redeemer. As it is, I like having a secondary that can just go brrrr and melt either a bunch of small bugs or a berserker without having to worry my panicky aim will fail me.

I shouldn't get too worked up over it, because I like the gun I do have, but this is technology we have now and the Senator currently is a gun you take for fun rather than to prevent gruesome death.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Speed loader for empty reload on Senator would be great. Let it be a gun you WANT to reload empty.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

People who don’t clear the map confuse me. I’m here to kill bugs not hide from them. The game is at its most fun when poo poo hits the fan and you have to stand your ground and annihilate wave after wave of enemies which you get when you seek out trouble and shoot patrols you could sneak past.

Yes it’s more optimal to do the objectives of you’re trying to get exp or rec slips or something but otherwise just play the game I say.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't care if high command gives me two stars on mission completion, I'm not gonna walk across the map to do a SEAF artillery objective and airstrike a light outpost.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Tom Tucker posted:

People who don’t clear the map confuse me. I’m here to kill bugs not hide from them. The game is at its most fun when poo poo hits the fan and you have to stand your ground and annihilate wave after wave of enemies which you get when you seek out trouble and shoot patrols you could sneak past.

Yes it’s more optimal to do the objectives of you’re trying to get exp or rec slips or something but otherwise just play the game I say.

It's fun to clear everything on the way to and from any objectives. I'm not adding ten minutes for backtracking to the rear end end of the map for one spawner. I do try to drop in ways that let you just loop and naturally sweep the map.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

How do you scroll right on this hold R menu on keyboard and mouse? Scrolling the mouse wheel just goes up and down, arrow keys do nothing.

In general, is it better to play this game on keyboard and mouse or gamepad?

Also, wtf I spawned in and picked up some grenade launcher laying on the ground, one guy says on voice chat "Dude did you just take my grenade launcher?" I tried typing out that I don't know how to drop weapon but he (the host) left before I could respond. WTF guy, the game even says to pick up dropped weapons if you need to keep fighting.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah that’s fair I usually get 4 stars with 3/4 side objectives and maybe 4/5 nests. I feel like there are people who go out of their way to avoid side items and people who go out or their way to do them and the fun zone is somewhere in the middle

But eh who am I to talk now that I think about it. I totally get the instinct to optimize an activity and that has a fun all its own so I will go watch Wheel of Fortune and let the kids play on my lawn

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How do you scroll right on this hold R menu on keyboard and mouse? Scrolling the mouse wheel just goes up and down, arrow keys do nothing.

Also, wtf I spawned in and picked up some grenade launcher laying on the ground, one guy says on voice chat "Dude did you just take my grenade launcher?" I tried typing out that I don't know how to drop weapon but he (the host) left before I could respond. WTF guy, the game even says to pick up dropped weapons if you need to keep fighting.

Mouse scroll down (not up, or vice versa, i forget) scrolls the Y axis. I think tapping reload (R) scrolls through the X axis options. Or right-click? I forget, it's definitely doable with mkb.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 1, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

If they're in the way or we can make a good lap through the map, great, but if you're one one of those maps with a water barrier or mesa I'm not walking all the way around to throw an airstrike.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I absolutely hate the mortar and will destroy it. It's just not worth it. Even vs bots. It might be okay if you are completely in control of the situation, but the moment you find yourself in a running battle, when you are trying to push to an objective, when you are trying to reclaim gear or samples, it will kill you over and over and over.

Bring the AC sentry. Or the EMS. It's far far better.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

I agree now that I have all the samples I need. Kinda wish that wasn't the 1 resource tied to extracting but I guess they gotta make the extract matter somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Right mouse button for options to the right, scroll wheel up for options above, and scroll wheel down for options below.