Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just got the game the other day and have been having a blast apart from the random crashes which can be quite frequent.

Still, I'm a bit confused by the mission structure sometimes and what the optimal play is. I figure you should just be doing the objectives (eg get the SSSD, deliver it to the comms tower etc... Even here sometimes the map doesn't make it clear where things go like map icons being greyed out but still being needed for the mission), but then people go gently caress off randomly to other corners of the map to pick up rare samples and such. I guess this is needed to maximize progression bonuses needed for unlocks and war credit track progression? And how does 1st and 2nd bonuses work on mission completion? Game seems pretty opaque sometimes with no documentation :confused:

Also, I think playing with friends would be better rather than pubbies because I'll talk or text in game and nobody responds or says anything.

Grayed out objectives on the map are either already completed, or unlocking them requires doing the sub-objectives which are orange on the map. The SSSD one has a weird quirk here where the final objective doesn't unlock until you deliver the sub-objective SSSDs to it but the rest are more straightforward and turn orange right as you finish up at the sub-objective location. Blue objectives on the map are optional bonus objectives, and they're not revealed by default which is the main reason people spread out and explore. Going near them or pinging them (q on m/kb) makes them appear on the map for everyone. Also red zones are enemy bases that you get bonus XP for destroying but generally speaking you can get more XP from extracting sooner than you can by hunting them all down, just kill the ones in your way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been wondering if this was possible for a while and tonight I pulled it off out of sheer luck
https://i.imgur.com/3WIc1RZ.mp4
I think you just barely nicked the top of his head over the barrier, rather than thru the slit:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://i.imgur.com/pP1mRIi.mp4

turn volume up

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The biggest problem with the shield is that you let go of it if you get ragdolled. I really want to like it, but it's very easy to lose it.

Maybe it will be better when the Illuminate or their sucessor faction shows up, as they might have less explosive ordnance compared to bots.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol apparently dramas afoot over the MO failing?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Experience with medic armor spoiled the ending for me, still fun though :buddy:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just got the game the other day and have been having a blast apart from the random crashes which can be quite frequent.

Still, I'm a bit confused by the mission structure sometimes and what the optimal play is. I figure you should just be doing the objectives (eg get the SSSD, deliver it to the comms tower etc... Even here sometimes the map doesn't make it clear where things go like map icons being greyed out but still being needed for the mission), but then people go gently caress off randomly to other corners of the map to pick up rare samples and such. I guess this is needed to maximize progression bonuses needed for unlocks and war credit track progression? And how does 1st and 2nd bonuses work on mission completion? Game seems pretty opaque sometimes with no documentation :confused:

Also, I think playing with friends would be better rather than pubbies because I'll talk or text in game and nobody responds or says anything.

The only thing you NEED to do to finish a mission is the main objectives (orange icons) then extract (and extract is optional, if you all run out of reinforcements after doing main objectives you still get a win). Every other objective you do like side objectives (blue icons) or destroy enemy bases (red tint on map) gives you more EXP and Requisition (money to unlock stratagems). You can also collect samples to upgrade your ship (upgrades stratagems). Generally in most public matches I play, I think people lean towards completionism and want to do all the side objectives they see and smash as many bases as they can.

Currency stuff if it helps:
Experience: Levels up your account. Up to level 25, some stratagems have level requirements to purchase. Above level 25, its just for show.
Requisition: Currency to unlock new stratagems. Experience and requisition come from main objectives, side objectives, clear time bonus, enemy bases destroyed, surviving helldivers after a mission.
Medals: Currency to unlock things from warbonds, which have team boosters, guns, armor, and grenades. A reward for completed missions, fixed rate per mission, no bonus for side objectives, etc. Outside of lowest difficulty, missions are in Operations, which are sets of 3 missions with more medals as you do each mission.
Samples: Currency to upgrade your destroyer, which upgrades your stratagems. Green samples are from any mission, orange samples from difficulty 4+, and pink samples from 7+. Found scattered around points of interest and enemy bases on maps, and you need to survive and bring them with you when you extract for your team to keep them. You need a fairly large amount to get all the ship upgrades, so people will always be looking for these.
Super Credits: Can be purchased with real money, can be bought for medals in warbonds, or found in small amounts around points of interest on the map (you can also find a few medals or requisition packs, but these are no the main sources of those items). Used to buy new warbonds (which you then need to spend medals on to get the items form it) or to buy armors from the superstore.

edited for corrections from other posters

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 1, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dandywalken posted:

People mad that the Malevalon Creek jumpers not joining in other offensives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://i.imgur.com/BPFJ8yG.mp4

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Captainicus posted:

Medals: Currency to unlock things from warbonds, which have team boosters, guns, armor, and grenades. A reward for completed missions, fixed rate per mission, no bonus for side objectives, etc. Outside of lowest difficulty, missions are in Operations, which are sets of 3 missions with more medals as you do each mission.

You find medals in life pods and other points of interest sometimes, so they aren't completely fixed.

There are two-part and three-part operations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Video Nasty posted:

Sickle, laser dog and quasar cannon are my new default loadout. I took out a charger with a single shot to the face (couldn’t reproduce in the same mission despite trying) and ten seconds later exploded a bile spewer without even trying :smuggo:
It's a counterintuitive but you wanna shoot at what looks like the most armored part of the head

EAT, Recoilless Rifle, and Quasar can all one shot Chargers this way

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: BTW can you just go prone from standing or do you have to dive each time? Sometimes I like taking a knee on top of a raised structure to stabilize my weapon aim and avoid getting swarmed, but if I try to dive instead there's a good chance I'll (hilariously) flop right off of my encampment.

Press z

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Captainicus posted:

...Experience: Levels up your account. Up to level 20, some stratagems have level requirements to purchase. Above level 20, its just for show...

25. The Exosuit was added after launch and requires level 25 IIRC.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
not quite 9 hours to fully take Tibit to complete the order, and the americas are gonna be going to sleep. probably not happening but that's ok. Though the creek is less than 15% away from being liberated so that's exciting

Dandywalken posted:

people get mad that other people are doing their own thing instead of doing the MO. So people fighting bugs instead of bots, sticking to the creek instead of going for target planets, not doing the optimal defense strategies, blah blah.

too many people to have any sort of real coordination, but people look at the numbers and see that a quarter of the people fighting bots are doing it at the Creek instead of Tibit and get made at the wasted effort.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Since they've changed individual contribution to scale inversely with player population NA being asleep doesn't really matter, but it does mean it's impossible to do the major order since the whole playerbase generates around 3-5% liberation per hour regardless of size.

But a CM did say freeing Tibit will matter to the story even if the MO fails, so go for it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
time to free tibet tibit

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Tommy the Newt posted:

Mine is Elected Representative of Self-Determination, it barely fits on the hull which I find enjoyable.

Arbiter of morality. I decide what is right

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Arc Hammer posted:

Tried out the new HMG. Does this thing not get an aiming reticle like every other gun in the game?

There are actually several weapons that dont come with a reticle, god knows why.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GlyphGryph posted:

There are actually several weapons that dont come with a reticle, god knows why.

its funnier

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Frequency of running in to people doing some sort of grenade exploit where they just unlimited grenades and spam them is going up. Luckily 2 of the 3 times I was host and could just kicked them. Unfortunate people are doing this.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's related to the map I think. Have grenades selected and in map, and trying to reload just tossed a grenade and didn't subtract for me

Or some similar steps. I've had it happen at least twice (I did not want it to happen)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone actually do the team reloads? Recoiless rifle would actually be quite good armor piercing DPS if it could shoot like it does in its tool tip. And against bots there's always more hulks than AT weapons.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I see them happen very rarely at extraction fights since everybody is gonna be sticking close together for that anyway.

But nope basically not at all unless i'm with a friend :(

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Roundboy posted:

It's related to the map I think. Have grenades selected and in map, and trying to reload just tossed a grenade and didn't subtract for me

Or some similar steps. I've had it happen at least twice (I did not want it to happen)

Apparently the trick is to spam your 'stratagem menu' button when you toss your last grenade. Something like that.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Spookydonut posted:

time to free tibet tibit

The Tibit Offensive

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Liberating the Creek will be a greater moral victory than Tibit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There weren't as many people in creek prior to the order(and the planet connected to tibit falling), so probably the actual reason so many went there was because it was the only selectable planet in the same region as tibit for a while.

It doesn't connect to either tibit or the planet that does-to get there, you need to get a planet in another region. But without knowing how the supply lines work players just went to the only available planet in tibit's region.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Wow speaking of terrible kicks, just got booted for no drat reason. Search and Destroy mission and I was the only one with an autocannon. We landed next to a cannon turret that I took out, then I destroyed 4/5 of the mission fabricators myself by taking out two medium outposts with autocannon/airstrikes. I wasn't even running off entirely on my own either, I was with the team at each base but I'd break off to flank so I could line up autocannon/airstrikes efficiently. They couldn't get near the base because they were bogged down fighting so I used that distraction to get poo poo done. I had no deaths, didn't TK anyone, and reinforced most if not all of my teammates who did die. I got kicked right after reinforcing someone.

It was literally one of my best runs and I get the boot for... doing too many objectives? :wtc:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
they should probably add some in-game means to see the supply lines so players can easily understand they need to conquer planets A->B->C rather than having to rely on 3rd party run websites.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

It's a counterintuitive but you wanna shoot at what looks like the most armored part of the head

EAT, Recoilless Rifle, and Quasar can all one shot Chargers this way

Wait wait wait WHAT. Is THAT why I've been having inconsistent oneshots with the EAT?! WHAT. This game sometimes I swear. Where do I aim at Bile Titans? Not the head but some spot above it too?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone actually do the team reloads? Recoiless rifle would actually be quite good armor piercing DPS if it could shoot like it does in its tool tip. And against bots there's always more hulks than AT weapons.

I've attempted to help with team reloads when I've picked up an old backpack or happened to bring the same weapon. They generally don't notice and conserve their shots as if they were solo, or suddenly break the reload so they can reload solo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Team reload is only ever going to work with a tight group using full comms and having a discussion on Strats before diving basically

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They need to adjust it so you can do it regardless of who has the backpack, otherwise it'll just never happen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i dont understand the purpose of the heavy machine gun, the magazine is tiny

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

i dont understand the purpose of the heavy machine gun, the magazine is tiny

Honestly it would be *okay* if it got a 3p crosshair and the liberator's sight that isn't misaligned in first person.

But having it be difficult to aim on top of the recoil and small magazine is just a bridge too far.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 1, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmvPohLsjec

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thanks for the advice!

e: What's the difference between the machine gun sentry and the gatling sentry? Wouldn't the gatling sentry be objectively better due to higher rate of fire? In-game detailed info doesn't tell me much.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 1, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

im about to sleep so someone can probably correct me but gatling continuously fires even as it retargets and thus uses up more ammunition before being stopped.

machine gun turret will wait until its lined up with its target before blasting you from behind.

generally gatling is probably better

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

There weren't as many people in creek prior to the order(and the planet connected to tibit falling), so probably the actual reason so many went there was because it was the only selectable planet in the same region as tibit for a while.

It doesn't connect to either tibit or the planet that does-to get there, you need to get a planet in another region. But without knowing how the supply lines work players just went to the only available planet in tibit's region.

Yeah, this was me. I was fighting on Malevelon for the last couple of days because I assumed we needed to capture the planet nearest our target before our target became available. Was there any kind of ingame UI indication I was missing which would have explained to me that I was wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Thanks for the advice!

e: What's the difference between the machine gun sentry and the gatling sentry? Wouldn't the gatling sentry be objectively better due to higher rate of fire? In-game detailed info doesn't tell me much.

The gatling is far more prone to teamkilling while swinging around and also wastes ammo faster when it locks onto something bulky it can't hurt like a charger. It's still better in most situations though, the machinegun taking longer to run dry is rarely useful compared to the raw dps of the gatling.