Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
as someone forced to essential work thru pandemic- love hearing lockdown debates from the people not deemed sacrificial for the market!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoguh posted:

The only reason smoking bans haven’t been overturned yet is because they’ve existed long enough that the vast majority of people don’t smoke and hate having to be put upon by the smell of smokers. But it’s 100% gonna go away for ages and poo poo sooner than later.

Well, that will cost tons of jobs in the industry/farming sector along with taxes gained will be lost, but yet save lives.

I'm sure the cost of medical care for the elimination of smokers will be offset by the health care savings years to come.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

OH MY BAD posted:

as someone forced to essential work thru pandemic- love hearing lockdown debates from the people not deemed sacrificial for the market!

it owned that in canada there was a bunch of shops that promised "hero pay" to the essential shelf stockers and then didnt pay it out

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thoguh posted:

The only reason smoking bans haven’t been overturned yet is because they’ve existed long enough that the vast majority of people don’t smoke and hate having to be put upon by the smell of smokers. But it’s 100% gonna go away for ages and poo poo sooner than later.
we already have people watching loud videos and having speakerphone conversations on the bus...

(what's the deal with the style of holding your phone flat in front of your face, parallel to the ground, with the speakerphone on??)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

more importantly, every dollar of wealth passed on from one generation of laborers to another is an unacceptable buffer against exploitation of that new generation. having savings, inheriting a house means you're a little less desperate to stay employed, a little less desperate to take any deal offered no matter how poo poo.

But perhaps most important of all, investments or houses (in the US) are appreciating assets. Laborers can, under absolutely no circumstances, be allowed to own appreciating assets on an inter-generational basis. Over time, laborers accumulating control of assets that themselves appreciate in value or generate wealth threatens to up-end the whole system. Depreciating assets like mobile homes on rented trailer park slips are the future for all of us. The perfect home: it extracts rent, foists the capital cost of the build on the renter rather than the landlord, and conveniently self-destructs as any kind of legal asset at all when the landlord wants to cash out.

:hai:

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it's good boomers won't have any money to leave their kids because they also get to be treated better while they're old and useless than their parents did

jealous?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My mom is having to deal with end of life care for my 98 year old grandpa and it’s a massive feud with her sisters and brother. Shes been taking care of him for years on her dime but now it’s getting to the point that it’s too much for her abilities in her own older age. The decision was made to put him in an assisted living facility and the siblings are screaming absolutely bloody murder that by doing so is going to eat into their inheritance and that she’s a horrible person for doing so and should be cut out of the will. The poo poo they say is insane.

The man wants to die already but it seems nature won’t let him.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That’s absolutely coming, and people who don’t want to put up with smoke constantly will be told to stay home if they’re scared of a little bit of smoke (it’s from plants and it’s natural)

100%. What would be the argument against it now? There will never be public or institutional support for a massive public health intervention again.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

blatman posted:

it owned that in canada there was a bunch of shops that promised "hero pay" to the essential shelf stockers and then didnt pay it out

no one ever clapped when i had to bleed and adjust their stupid hydraulic discs on their dumbass tri bike but instead were confounded when we had shipping delays for the insane item they special ordered

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wouldn't they have to stop insurers drug testing people for nicotine ?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

wouldn't they have to stop insurers drug testing people for nicotine ?

Lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Xaris posted:

it's true for most of human history unless you live in a poo poo-drinking plagued hellhole like england (which lol hasn't changed). iirc pre-colonialization indigenous north americas usually had a median age of teenage/adulthood-threshold survival of around 60 or more, and even instances close to 100, though these stats are always very fuzzy and modal. a lot of modern healthcare is specifically addressing problems arising solely out of contemporary modern society.

one of the funniest things is learning that the era of high child-birth related deaths were solely a victorian/industrializing thing because brits were poo poo-covered bog monsters and would stick their infested hands into vaginas to ""help"" with childbirth and giving them all terminal deadly infections. completely and wholly unnecessary but it did kill a shitload of people that wouldn't have otherwise died in past times. not that it was always a risk-free thing but was much safer in the centuries before that, and much safer in many other countries.

when Joesph Listor was going around the world showing doctors/surgeons/nurses that washing the old blood off your hands and tools increased the survival rates by an incredible amount England was the most resistant to change

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

OH MY BAD posted:

no one ever clapped when i had to bleed and adjust their stupid hydraulic discs on their dumbass tri bike but instead were confounded when we had shipping delays for the insane item they special ordered

The bike parts shortage is killing me though

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

mawarannahr posted:

we already have people watching loud videos and having speakerphone conversations on the bus...

(what's the deal with the style of holding your phone flat in front of your face, parallel to the ground, with the speakerphone on??)

that's how people on reality tv talk on the phone so the show can mic the call, so that's how people talk on their phones now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
going into the office to pack up computers to send to people so they themselves could Work-From-Home in April 2020

ftw

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the milk machine posted:

that's how people on reality tv talk on the phone so the show can mic the call, so that's how people talk on their phones now

this is definitely one of the most deranged things I’ve witnessed this stupid loving species do

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

going into the office to pack up computers to send to people so they themselves could Work-From-Home in April 2020

ftw

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Am I mis-reading some of you that it would be preferable to have an elderly person wither away the last few (potentially lovely) years of their life and let different parts of the health care industry bleed them dry instead of letting the person peace-out and leave what they have left to their family?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Am I mis-reading some of you that it would be preferable to have an elderly person wither away the last few (potentially lovely) years of their life and let different parts of the health care industry bleed them dry instead of letting the person peace-out and leave what they have left to their family?

it’s not an option for a lot of people

helping people die at home is full time job, maybe two full time jobs

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I think thats from tv shows where phone companies paid to have them use their phones and the actors do that to show off the phone to the camera.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SirPablo posted:

If that's actually what was happening that would be fine. What's happening is that the state is seeing "It's too expensive to keep these people alive" and rapidly broadening the category to include as many people as possible.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

SirPablo posted:

no the concern is that this rhetoric will be used to pass laws that function to murder homeless people

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SirPablo posted:

Big difference between allowing/supporting and encouraging

There's also a very meaningful difference between framing it in terms of self-determination and framing it in terms of removing a burden from loved ones or society

Anyone who wants out should have the option to do so comfortably and with dignity but suggesting that it's socially beneficial for people to do so is hosed up.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why would the state spens money to murder the homeless when they can easily funnel them into the for profit prison system? Yall aren't very good at capitalist thinking.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

If that's actually what was happening that would be fine. What's happening is that the state is seeing "It's too expensive to keep these people alive" and rapidly broadening the category to include as many people as possible.

I take it this is what you're saying...

post COVID posted:

no the concern is that this rhetoric will be used to pass laws that function to murder homeless people

I get that, good clarification. But this point...

Paradoxish posted:

Big difference between allowing/supporting and encouraging

There's also a very meaningful difference between framing it in terms of self-determination and framing it in terms of removing a burden from loved ones or society

Anyone who wants out should have the option to do so comfortably and with dignity but suggesting that it's socially beneficial for people to do so is hosed up.

It is socially beneficial to let people Die With Dignity. Using that as a way to pressure people to die would be hosed up. Painting the fact that the allocation of your remaining resources would be done in a "positive" way isn't by itself bad, really depends on the motive.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SirPablo posted:

I take it this is what you're saying...

I get that, good clarification. But this point...

It is socially beneficial to let people Die With Dignity. Using that as a way to pressure people to die would be hosed up. Painting the fact that the allocation of your remaining resources would be done in a "positive" way isn't by itself bad, really depends on the motive.

strange how anything with "dignity" in the name is hosed up... cf revolution of dignity, colonia dignidad

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Asproigerosis posted:

Why would the state spens money to murder the homeless when they can easily funnel them into the for profit prison system? Yall aren't very good at capitalist thinking.

why did the nazis constantly expand their extermination programs instead of maintaining steadiness of the supply of slaves to corporate work ghettos?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

MAID makes some sense as most people understandably want to avoid being an Alzheimer's patient in a long term care ward. However the reality as to how it's implemented in the current context with non-existent social support and a lot of incentives to remove "unproductive" people makes it truly awful. It causes more harm than it prevents, as the early Canadian experience demonstrates.

To be clear the default option of slowly dying under the level of inadequate long term care provided by the state, if any is even available, is also not acceptable but also clearly inevitable under the current system. It is ridiculous to believe the average worker could ever save enough for the costs involved, but that's exactly the expectation in most places.

SirPablo posted:

It could be but that option isn't on the table right now.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Apr 1, 2024

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I don’t believe the government can be trusted to not just kill the poor or otherwise less desirable under the guise of compassion.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If I'm like 90 and all I have ahead of me are 5 years of increasingly-dim bed rest yeah I'm gonna opt out.

If I'm diagnosed with an expensive-to-treat cancer at age 40 and a state representative walks into the room and asks me "Have you considered medical assistance in dying?" we're gonna have a loving problem.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Western governments and societies want you to internalize that you are an unimportant piece of equipment and if you breakdown due to stress from the system you should kill yourself.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is the wealthiest society to ever exist in human history. We could afford all the “extreme senescence” we could imagine. We just choose not to.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Edit: added comment belo

SirPablo has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Apr 1, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
weird, no one i know considers themself wealthy

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

nomad2020 posted:

I don’t believe the government can be trusted to not just kill the poor or otherwise less desirable under the guise of compassion.

You're adding the stipulation of the person being poor/less desirable, not what I was getting at.

SKULL.GIF posted:

If I'm like 90 and all I have ahead of me are 5 years of increasingly-dim bed rest yeah I'm gonna opt out.

If I'm diagnosed with an expensive-to-treat cancer at age 40 and a state representative walks into the room and asks me "Have you considered medical assistance in dying?" we're gonna have a loving problem.

Agree

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is the wealthiest society to ever exist in human history. We could afford all the “extreme senescence” we could imagine. We just choose not to.

Also agree. There is a larger profit in killing people with weapons of war than killing them with subpar health care. I think. For now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Only the other day we had a story about the Canadian government putting a woman in her 20s on MAiD because she had autism and ADHD.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

The article says she requested MAID, not that she was put on it. It does indicate it is unclear how she obtained it though. Not much to go on there really.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The point that’s been made multiple times in this thread is that a society like America or Canada will always boil people down into two groups, those who produce excess value for their masters and those who do not. Making life unbearable for people in the latter category and offering MAID is just another form of social murder.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

mawarannahr posted:

I do this because the whole point of speakerphone is so I don't have to cramp my neck or hold it up to my idiot face

Holding it in front of my face puts the microphone closest to my mouth (since people complain they can't hear me if I do something else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_yyKN30Qyg