Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

IIRC Cable is also a superpowered mega telepath/telekinetic, but he can't actually use those abilities cause he has to constantly use them to block the further spread of the technovirus.

Comics are quite silly.

Weirdly enough that kinda makes sense given that, last I checked, his mother is Jean Grey.

Funny thing is that makes his usual odd couple pairing with Deadpool quite thematically appropriate, the maybe-kinda-sorta-mutant whose incredibly powerful healing factor is kept in check by incredibly powerful cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sounds like either "techno-organic virus" or the Brood. Marvel's legally district Xenomorphs.

The latter, I think? It was basically the animated series' take on The Brood. They're only appearance, too.

It's ironic because the Japanese intro to the series makes it seem like The Brood are, like, the main antagonist of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I get cable and bishop mixed up

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cable is the one with the scar, Bishop is the one with the sick tattoo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cable can only move in an L shape, Bishop can only move diagonally.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I didn't know Marvel Knights did a Cable series. (oh lord that's the most nerdy and niche joke I've ever made)

Since it turns out this isn't the X-Men thread, non-dorks should read this short comic just to see how bonkers-batshit the story of Cable is:
https://comicsalliance.com/cable-comics-marvel-history/
I'm not gonna link the whole thing since it's all separate images and I don't wanna comics-hijack the thread that hard, but here's how it starts:

e: lmao that's so old, now it could go on for another 10 panels about Cable returning as a teenager, his old self coming back and killing his teenage self, his teenage self coming back somehow (I think), and the time his alternate-universe self decided to become Jesus and trap the X-Men in a pocket reality.

Diet Poison has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Apr 1, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
do comics do the soap opera thing where a baby is put on a bus/trip away, and then come back as a teen/young adult to have shenanigans even though barely any time let along 18 years has passed?

i mean comics do infact have pocket universe timeloops and other time based shenanigans , but its still dumb.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

PhazonLink posted:

do comics do the soap opera thing where a baby is put on a bus/trip away, and then come back as a teen/young adult to have shenanigans even though barely any time let along 18 years has passed?

i mean comics do infact have pocket universe timeloops and other time based shenanigans , but its still dumb.

If a piece of sci-fi media ever has a baby, its pretty much guaranteed that they will age up rapidly in some way or another. They also probably will be manipulated in joining up with the villains at some point. Oh and they will have extra special superpowers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If a piece of sci-fi media ever has a baby, its pretty much guaranteed that they will age up rapidly in some way or another. They also probably will be manipulated in joining up with the villains at some point. Oh and they will have extra special superpowers.

Gotham had the funniest version of this. Ivy was introduced as a young child, about 12 or so, with an abusive father who eventually ran away, but they realised trying to make her Poison Ivy would be weird because of how sexual that character tends to be, so first she fell in the river and the chemicals aged her into an adult body, but the actress was not too good or some behind the scenes issues happened IDK, so she went into a coccoon and became a whole new actress

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Franklin Richards (the Fantastic Four's kid) spent time as a teenager in the 90's so he could lead his own X-Force-style team. Then they made him a 5-year-old again.

Also, a couple years ago they did a Power Pack series written by Ryan North where they have to find an adult mentor, and it's actually a plot point that the oldest is actually the right age, but still technically under 21 thanks to time dilation from a previous series.

Keromaru5 has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Apr 1, 2024

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

There's also Valeria Richards, Franklin's younger sister, who seems to be whatever age the artist can manage. Really, the entire Richards family is a continuity mess.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Diet Poison posted:

I didn't know Marvel Knights did a Cable series. (oh lord that's the most nerdy and niche joke I've ever made)

Since it turns out this isn't the X-Men thread, non-dorks should read this short comic just to see how bonkers-batshit the story of Cable is:
https://comicsalliance.com/cable-comics-marvel-history/
I'm not gonna link the whole thing since it's all separate images and I don't wanna comics-hijack the thread that hard, but here's how it starts:

e: lmao that's so old, now it could go on for another 10 panels about Cable returning as a teenager, his old self coming back and killing his teenage self, his teenage self coming back somehow (I think), and the time his alternate-universe self decided to become Jesus and trap the X-Men in a pocket reality.

That's a superb opening to the story, not least because it summarises Inferno in two sentences which is all it deserves

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Gotham had the funniest version of this. Ivy was introduced as a young child, about 12 or so, with an abusive father who eventually ran away, but they realised trying to make her Poison Ivy would be weird because of how sexual that character tends to be, so first she fell in the river and the chemicals aged her into an adult body, but the actress was not too good or some behind the scenes issues happened IDK, so she went into a coccoon and became a whole new actress

thats dumb.

also The Batman(2004) cartoon had Ivy and Batgirl be highschool class mates, so theyre both minors and the show is pretty fine. iirc her episodes have the energy of try hard teen rebel without a cause.
once again a childrens cartoon that cant just pander to that demographic is arguably better because of its limitations

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, once again the best comic book poo poo is the adaptations that are forced to maintain a steady tone and have some restraint and forethought.

Funny thing, was thinking the time-displaced child poo poo and thought of Star Trek DS9... which DID do it once and played it for horror and tragedy. Maybe technically twice.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it's also because you can cast an adult voice actor as a child character and not have to worry about them aging out of the role during filming

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original idea of Cyclops having a kid was that he was supposed to retire and leave the comic series. Comics being comics of course that didn't happen so he was stuck with a wife and kid (who then took off leaving him alone.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think Cable had a metal arm (and a laser eye and a giant gun and is from the future) because Rob Liefeld invented him and all that is kewl.

I watched Platoon yesterday for the first time in a long while and it wasn't nearly as good as I remember.

There's a lot to like about it but maybe it's me getting old, having seen better war films (FMJ, Dunkirk, The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now) or the satiric influence of Tropic Thunder but, I dunno, a lot of it came off as hamfisted and forced. Like movie stars playing war and an actor's idea of what being in a war is like. A large chunk of it (Charlie Sheen's narrative letters, a lot of the dialogue, the brief examinations of race and class) were just too on the nose for me and it's almost made worse by the fact that there are some really good scenes by Berenger, Dafoe and a few others, so the parts I didn't like stood out in comparison.

Maybe I'm just cynical and jaded or was in a cranky mood.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oliver Stone is a director thinks nuance is the the new version of oldance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

Oliver Stone is a director thinks nuance is the the new version of oldance.

True, but didn't Stone serve and see combat action?...yes he did

quote:

Stone enlisted in April 1967. He requested combat duty and that's exactly what he got. He arrived in South Vietnam Sept. 16, 1967, assigned to 2nd Platoon, Bravo Company, 3rd Battalion, 25th Infantry, stationed near the Cambodian border.

He was wounded twice in combat and was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for valor. His wounds were either a bullet or shrapnel to the neck and the other was shrapnel to the legs and buttocks.

I like a lot of his films but Platoon dropped a star on my rewatch. I didn't realize that Sheen's character was a stand in for his own experiences either.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

I think Cable had a metal arm (and a laser eye and a giant gun and is from the future) because Rob Liefeld invented him and all that is kewl.

I watched Platoon yesterday for the first time in a long while and it wasn't nearly as good as I remember.

There's a lot to like about it but maybe it's me getting old, having seen better war films (FMJ, Dunkirk, The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now) or the satiric influence of Tropic Thunder but, I dunno, a lot of it came off as hamfisted and forced. Like movie stars playing war and an actor's idea of what being in a war is like. A large chunk of it (Charlie Sheen's narrative letters, a lot of the dialogue, the brief examinations of race and class) were just too on the nose for me and it's almost made worse by the fact that there are some really good scenes by Berenger, Dafoe and a few others, so the parts I didn't like stood out in comparison.

Yes, but Platoon is indirectly responsible for one of the greatest gags in movie history.

In Hot Shots Part Deux (I know), Charlie Sheen's character is parodying Rambo's return to Vietnam, riding a boat upstream and writing a letter. His voiceover narration reflects what he's writing. Suddenly, a second voice rises in volume and filters over what he's saying, talking about the horrors of war. Charlie Sheen looks around, shakes his head as though he's hearing things, decides he's not, runs to the bow of the boat, and there! Headed directly toward him is a boat with Martin Sheen standing on the bow. As the two boats pass each other, both actors shout out, "I loved you in Wall Street!" Without his role in Platoon and the letters and the Oliver Stone connection, the joke doesn't really work nearly as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

The bit about "movie stars playing war" and "actor's idea of what being in war is like" to me are somewhat interesting takes.

The former is notable because Platoon was one of the first war movies to put the cast through significant military training, which has since become somewhat standard for big war movies and shows since. Rather than just showing up, putting on the costume, and starting to film, the cast spent several weeks basically doing Vietnam-style stuff in the jungle just before filming started. They were going on marches and digging foxholes, pulling guard shifts and being subjected to fake ambushes, under the direction of Dale Dye (Who plays the company commander in the movie, and would later do the same sort of training for stuff for Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, also appearing in both of those as well). They also filmed almost they entire movie chronologically, which isn't common, and a lot of the actors pretty much state the fatigue and sort of attitude that's present by the end was a rather real feeling after months in the jungle (Also, when filming it in the Philippines, a revolution had just occurred so there was a lot of tension from that).

The latter comes from Oliver Stone having served in Vietnam, with the unit in movie being the same one (2nd Platoon, Bravo Company, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division) he served in during the time shown in the movie (Late 1967 to early 1968). Now, that doesn't mean the movie is at all accurate to what really happened for that unit, the movie is naturally over-dramatic and puts a few stereotypes all in one unit and then has them going through a bunch of events that are stereotypical for that war. All the stuff with the village and men killing each other was made up, and the final battle in the movie is based on a real battle but also hugely dramatized and Stone's unit wasn't the focal point of the battle. But, veterans have pretty consistently praised the overall feel of the movie, with the ambush in the middle of the movie IIRC being partially based on a real action where Stone was awarded the Bronze Star (The part where Charlie Sheen's character throws a grenade at a machine gun), and most of the cast.

Not gonna say its perfect, cause it ain't, but it's still very very good for what it sets out to do.

EDIT: hey more posts while I was posting:

BiggerBoat posted:

True, but didn't Stone serve and see combat action?...yes he did

I like a lot of his films but Platoon dropped a star on my rewatch. I didn't realize that Sheen's character was a stand in for his own experiences either.

Yeah, Sheen's character is basically Stone during his first few months in Vietnam, including the timeframe when he arrived (September 1967) and a few other events.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yes, but Platoon is indirectly responsible for one of the greatest gags in movie history.

In Hot Shots Part Deux (I know), Charlie Sheen's character is parodying Rambo's return to Vietnam, riding a boat upstream and writing a letter. His voiceover narration reflects what he's writing. Suddenly, a second voice rises in volume and filters over what he's saying, talking about the horrors of war. Charlie Sheen looks around, shakes his head as though he's hearing things, decides he's not, runs to the bow of the boat, and there! Headed directly toward him is a boat with Martin Sheen standing on the bow. As the two boats pass each other, both actors shout out, "I loved you in Wall Street!" Without his role in Platoon and the letters and the Oliver Stone connection, the joke doesn't really work nearly as well.

:hmmyes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Keromaru5 posted:

Also, a couple years ago they did a Power Pack series written by Ryan North where they have to find an adult mentor, and it's actually a plot point that the oldest is actually the right age, but still technically under 21 thanks to time dilation from a previous series.

They've been keeping Julie Power at "early 20s" recently because she's explicitly bisexual.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Admiralty Flag posted:

In Hot Shots Part Deux (I know)
What are you implying about this modern classic? :colbert:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
On the other hand, Judge Dredd is now canonically about 85 and had to be forced, in universe, to take some rejuve treatment so he could keep on going.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah, the anti-anime.

Instead of a 5000 year old vampire with the body of a five year old, it's a five year old with the body of an adult woman.

Always finding new ways to cater to that important pedo demographic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ah, the anti-anime.

Instead of a 5000 year old vampire with the body of a five year old, it's a five year old with the body of an adult woman.

Always finding new ways to cater to that important pedo demographic.

There is something to the idea of basing Poison Ivy's environmental activism on a childlike understanding of how poo poo works. A kid hears that the world is hosed because people fell trees, gotta stop the people from doing that!

It touches on a problem Batman has, in that a grown-rear end billionaire can't find a better way to fight crime than to spend millions to dress up and beat on the criminally insane. A brilliant botanist with incredible plant powers can't find a better use for her skills and powers than to grow monster plants that eat people who pollute stuff.

But yeah, you gotta lose the sexy stuff for that to work. All of it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You should check out a more modern comic. Batman's been doing more than beating up the criminally insane for decades now. I don't think there's been a run since the 90s where there's not some mention of Bruce investing in gotham's schools or creating some kind of social program or donating a billion to charity whatever.

Granted he's still beating up the criminally insane sure, but that's because he's also criminally insane lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The real question is whether Batman/Bruce Wayne marched along Black Lives Matter or if he Backed the Blue.

Bruce totally is a neoliberal that wanted more funding for the police "for better training".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

did they do a BLM thing, god I hope not lol

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

The real question is whether Batman/Bruce Wayne marched along Black Lives Matter or if he Backed the Blue.

Bruce totally is a neoliberal that wanted more funding for the police "for better training".

Is there a superhero who is more "the police are loving corrupt shitheads" than Batman? Dude found like the only 3 in Gotham who weren't on the take.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah there was a lot of anti-police-corruption stuff in Year One and Zero Year and a lot of the Grant Morrison stuff dealt with police corruption. Also part of Arkham Origins was loving up the GCPD

but also the answer to "is there a superhero more <insert authority here> are loving corrupt shitheads than batman" is yes and it's green arrow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rorschach kills at least one cop

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nextwave deals with it the best.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

did they do a BLM thing, god I hope not lol

Bat Lives Matter?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bruce lives matter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW superhero shows tried to do some plots around BLM but they pretty quickly abandoned them. Like The Flash had Joe West quit being a cop but then just introduced a new cop character who basically just did his old role. Or Batwoman which had Luke get shot by a cop (technically a private security officer which was basically acting as the cops in Gotham) just for being black and revealed the private security as being corrupt but then just replaced them with regular cops.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

There is something to the idea of basing Poison Ivy's environmental activism on a childlike understanding of how poo poo works. A kid hears that the world is hosed because people fell trees, gotta stop the people from doing that!

It touches on a problem Batman has, in that a grown-rear end billionaire can't find a better way to fight crime than to spend millions to dress up and beat on the criminally insane. A brilliant botanist with incredible plant powers can't find a better use for her skills and powers than to grow monster plants that eat people who pollute stuff.

But yeah, you gotta lose the sexy stuff for that to work. All of it.

Both the child and the brilliant botanist are correct in their approach to the problem.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They revived Poison Ivy as a child in that Suicide Squad game nobody played.

I have no idea why they posited it as a sequel to the Arkham series when it has nothing to do with it, tonally or mechanically, and only pisses off the people who would care,

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

I get cable and bishop mixed up

bishop has a bitchin mullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

bishop has a bitchin mullet

Not anymore: