Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Captain Invictus posted:

I would go so far to say it's not even necessarily bad.

im late but the line i use to describe it is "its not a bad movie, but its a bad adaptation" but the badness of its attempts at adaptation are charming and strange all to themselves lol. love that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ulvir posted:

that was one of the first movies where I as a 14 year old could point out what terrible acting looked like

It's especially egregious if you rented the first and then double featured it with Annihilation.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Some early April 1st videos,

Spirit of the Law ranks AoE 2 Windmills

ymfah plays(?) Dark Souls 2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

i have a friend who sends me a copy of Tales of the Tempest for the ds (a game so bad they declared it not a mainline tales game post release even though they marketed it as one) twice a year on both my birthday and christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DXKNQzBmU

HEY GIRLS
HEY BOYS

I have no knowledge of this franchise so maybe I'm drawing a blank on why this is so bad. It looks like a fairly inoffensive rpg with an anime OP.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

I have no knowledge of this franchise so maybe I'm drawing a blank on why this is so bad. It looks like a fairly inoffensive rpg with an anime OP.

The game is probably bad but that is sort of how DS games looked and the song sort of goes.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Arc Hammer posted:

its the dramatic anime opening shots and aesthetics stapled onto the clunky ds models thats making me lol, personally

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

i have a friend who sends me a copy of Tales of the Tempest for the ds (a game so bad they declared it not a mainline tales game post release even though they marketed it as one) twice a year on both my birthday and christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DXKNQzBmU

HEY GIRLS
HEY BOYS
please take a picture of the tiny mountain of copies of this game you have accrued

fun hater posted:

its the dramatic anime opening shots and aesthetics stapled onto the clunky ds models thats making me lol, personally
yeah seriously the moment I saw the two characters walking towards each other I was like "okay now do a dramatic slowdown...NOW" and it totally did

love me an opening that just uses every single cliche in the book

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

the op itself isnt meant to be an indicator of the game being bad i just think the mix of the goofy (not bad, but goofy) song and the early ds models trying to do action poses is very funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Po6m8jnkeU&t=936s if you want to see tales of the tempest actually being bad i present its combat

its not the worst thing ive ever played but its jank and clunk as gently caress and barely anything happens in the story so the combat is what has to carry it

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Inspector Gesicht posted:

D'Angelo Wallace, looking like half the Greek Pantheon, on the destructive trend of a diabetes drug being marketed and sold as weight-loss magic.

[video type="youtube"]Gj5uEr0Lh-k[video]

The Ozempic backlash is so pathetic.

"We've found a drug that cures one of the most dangerous and costly chronic health issues in our society, but some rich people might abuse it and people get all in their feelings about how their body is perceived, so it is now your duty to hate it and anyone who uses it."

It's like the breadtube version of anti-vaxxers.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Anyways, in less angry posting, LockPicking Lawyer's April Fools video is out, and it reaches near-radioactive pun levels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2PuE6ELmg

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

Yeah Tales games usually have anime intros and will swap to anime cutscenes for the big moments but they don’t usually mix in their kind of janky in-game animations as a sampler lol.

Like here’s Tales of the Abyss’s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCJ46c-J6Po

Tales of Vesperia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0Ob9yFs1s

Tales of Berseria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXW2hDwhXI

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 1, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LanceHunter posted:

"We've found a drug that cures one of the most dangerous and costly chronic health issues in our society, but some rich people might abuse it and people get all in their feelings about how their body is perceived, so it is now your duty to hate it and anyone who uses it."

lol that’s what you got from the video?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

the dose used for diabetes is different then that used for weight loss. the weight loss one is being sold by shady healthspas and has a side effect of permanently freezing your digestion lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The commercials for Ozempic and Rybelsus are so obnoxious that I'm predisposed to disliking its use as a weight loss supplement long before getting into the weeds of the health issues it can cause and the way it's affecting stockpiles intended for diabetes treatment.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 1, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Famethrowa posted:

the dose used for diabetes is different then that used for weight loss. the weight loss one is being sold by shady healthspas and has a side effect of permanently freezing your digestion lol.

As someone who has been on Wegovy for over a year now (and lost 100 pounds thanks to it), this is just an outright lie and proof that anyone will swallow any bullshit if it fits into their preferred narrative.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

As someone who has been on Wegovy for over a year now (and lost 100 pounds thanks to it), this is just an outright lie and proof that anyone will swallow any bullshit if it fits into their preferred narrative.

im happy for you but commercializing a medication with serious sideeffects to sell to housewives on billboards is pretty hosed up. even the manufacturer is taking action to sue these spas and you cant tell me they dont like getting more money. we arent talking about doctor prescribed wegovy at this point

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

Aside from the part about unqualified people administering/taking it off-label this is not true and you are repeating misinformation lol.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Famethrowa posted:

im happy for you but commercializing a medication with serious sideeffects to sell to housewives on billboards is pretty hosed up. even the manufacturer is taking action to sue these spas and you cant tell me they dont like getting more money,

Yeah, this whole "serious side effect" is mostly pulled out of people's asses and spread as online gossip by people who want there to be some big consequence for people taking the drug. No, it does not freeze your loving digestion. The biggest actual potential side effect is that it can accelerate growth in cancerous medullary thyroid tissue, the rarest type of thyroid cancer that you do need to be checked for beforehand (but, of course, since medullary thyroid cancer makes up far less than 10% of thyroid cancer cases it's about as much of a concern for the general public as people having serious averse reactions to the covid vaccine).

Yeah, the health spa thing is annoying and something Novo Nordisk probably should have realized was going to happen. That said, the tenor of the actual backlash to ozempic/wegovy/etc uses those as an absolute fig leaf for their actual complaint (which is that there is a proven cure for obesity now so decades of HAES lies are finally being dismantled).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

trilobite terror posted:

Aside from the part about unqualified people administering/taking it off-label this is not true and you are repeating misinformation lol.

it's a small chance of paralysis but you can't tell me that a medication with such a life ruining side effect should be sold in a strip mall. I don't care if it's 1% of users as reported.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

According to who? Because the diabetes dose will have you losing weight very fast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

it's a small chance of paralysis but you can't tell me that a medication with such a life ruining side effect should be sold in a strip mall. I don't care if it's 1% of users as reported.

have a look at the potential side effects of other strip mall medicines some time

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Andrast posted:

have a look at the potential side effects of other strip mall medicines some time

do you think I believe differently lol? they're also not having a cultural moment with otherwise healthy people being told they can go down a dress size.

selec posted:

According to who? Because the diabetes dose will have you losing weight very fast.

wegovy is a higher dose of semaglutide then ozempic for weight loss specifically..

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 1, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Famethrowa posted:

Literal anti-vaxxer argument spotted in the wild. Greatly over-stating the harm (if 1% of people on Wegovy were suffering this side effect there would be many thousands of cases and it would be all over the news), entirely fictional scenarios for how the medicine is received (even when sold in a strip mall it's still a prescription that you have to get from a medical provider), and a general aura of fear for a medicine that has been studied and found to be safe for many years now in medical trials.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
My mom is diabetic (and overweight) and was put on Ozempic by her doctor and it did nothing for either of those so she had to stop, RIP

at least she didn't get any side effects I guess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How much of this is an American perspective? Prescription drug advertisement laws in Canada aren't ideal by any stretch but the American channels we occasionally get have insane ads in comparison.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'theres a lot of fearmongering around this' and 'people who have no real issues shouldnt be taking this even if the risk of side effects is minor' can both be true

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

How much of this is an American perspective? Prescription drug advertisement laws in Canada aren't ideal by any stretch but the American channels we occasionally get have insane ads in comparison.

Most of the time it’s weird because you’ll get an ad for something for a really specific medical issue that your doctor would be in charge of anyway, and they need to write the prescription.

I see less ads in general now though I remember growing up there being a billion TV commercials for prescription meds.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There isn’t really a single unified backlash and chalking this up to “the breadtube of antivaxx” or whatever is dumb.

There’s a contingent of people, arguably “of the left”, who criticize GLP1 drugs from the standpoint of fatphobia and body shaming.

“Body positivists” and so-forth see the drugs as a further step in the promotion and normalization of unrealistic/etc body standards and the demonization/pathologizing of otherwise normal, diverse, and healthy bodies that do not conform to those standards.

I’m not here to argue for/against their viewpoint. There’s a lot of stuff that I agree with and also a lot of stuff that I do not agree with at all in that space. There are people claiming to be body-positive or body-neutral or whatever that will straight up argue that obesity “isn’t real”, etc. They are not the majority or the norm, for all that they attract a lions share of attention.

Anyway, then there are a lot of other people who are criticizing and mocking the use of these drugs from the standpoint of just being fat-shamey.

To them Ozempic/etc is “cheating”, rich people buying their way into skinniness without doing the necessary work.

They see fatness as a failure of character: you don’t have the discipline or the work ethic or the self-control or self-respect to be “fit” the old fashioned way and if you take ozempic/etc then you are simply trying to buy your way into skinniness without “earning” it.

It’s very similar to a lot of the mockery that gastric band/resection/etc surgeries got in the 2000s, as though having abdominal surgery and living with profound changes to the way one’s body works is “easy mode” compared to “just running more” or whatever.

These are not the same criticism.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Literal anti-vaxxer argument spotted in the wild. Greatly over-stating the harm (if 1% of people on Wegovy were suffering this side effect there would be many thousands of cases and it would be all over the news), entirely fictional scenarios for how the medicine is received (even when sold in a strip mall it's still a prescription that you have to get from a medical provider), and a general aura of fear for a medicine that has been studied and found to be safe for many years now in medical trials.

are you non American? If not, do you not understand how commercialized our drug mills are? "Medical provider" is an incredible stretch in some cases. There is very little to no follow-up or recourse should a serious side effect occur.

I don't care if people have a doctor monitoring and making sure people are safe during use. It sounds like you had that, and I'm sure millions more do have that, which I see no reason to have a problem with! It's the combination of diet discourse plus mainstream advertisement with a powerful drug that is worrisome.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

TheMightyBoops posted:

Most of the time it’s weird because you’ll get an ad for something for a really specific medical issue that your doctor would be in charge of anyway, and they need to write the prescription.

I see less ads in general now though I remember growing up there being a billion TV commercials for prescription meds.

You were always told in the ads to "ask your doctor" about the meds which always made me go "if this medicine is actually good my doctor would recommend it to me off the rip, not go 'oh wow thanks for reminding me that one exists because you saw an ad for it between King of the Hill episodes.'"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah it's not like the Ivermectin situation during the height of the covid pandemic where people were wildly abusing doses intended for horses and suffering some pretty gnarly side effects, such as making GBS threads out their intestinal linings. (Ivermectin pills prescribed by doctors for legitimate reasons are another thing entirely)
Another issue with that situation is that people who needed Ivermectin paste for their horses faced a severe shortage for some time

That bullshit was also heavily politicized and pushed by Fox News pundits and MAGA facebook conspiracists

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm watching the video rn and it's not anti ozempic at all, idk why you are so upset

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

You were always told in the ads to "ask your doctor" about the meds which always made me go "if this medicine is actually good my doctor would recommend it to me off the rip, not go 'oh wow thanks for reminding me that one exists because you saw an ad for it between King of the Hill episodes.'"

hey now, what if you doctor was bribed incentivized by another drugmaker to instead recommend you a worse drug and not the good drug, which they are advertising? that's capitalism baby, you gotta consider every angle

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I do not trust The Ozempic/Ketamine Wombo Combo simply because techbros like it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like content creators i like boogie2988 and spoony

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Spoopy One

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I somehow grew up almost entirely avoiding Channel Awesome-sphere stuff so when I found Spoony it was just his TTRPG stories videos and I liked those a lot, then those videos started getting worse and worse and I learned about everything else

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I only watched spoony play swat and then never thought about him until the Fredrick Knudsen video and I feel like I'm a better person for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i like content creators i like boogie2988 and spoony

Dan schneider