Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

quote:

She cried and promised me that we were technically engaged, she just needed a few more months to officially accept the proposal.
I don't think that's how this kind of thing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Nah, I'm sticking with ESH and I really don't see how people consider her reaction reasonable. I think it's dumb to completely blow up and burn to the ground a seven year relationship over one comment and one quick follow-up right after. If the relationship has seven years of history, why not wait overnight, then ask for clarification the next day? In a seven month relationship if my partner said something really weird and confusing I'd wait a day for any emotions to cool off, then have a conversation the next day. Not putting in that kind of small effort to rule out any of the weirdness and inconsistency that people do makes no sense to me, it's not like waiting for one day and one potentially-final conversation is a huge investment. I think the result of that conversation would probably be a breakup in this case, but I don't understand not being sure.

And if you do think the thing is over, why not just say that on Saturday and be done with it instead of obsessing over it, then implementing a complex plan to bang someone else and entice the other person to ask questions that let you drop the 'I spent the night with another man' bomb on him in response? I'm not a fan of RL drama so maybe I just don't get it.
They were together one year, not seven, and he explicitly responded that they were friends with benefits. Maybe ideally she should have confirmed but if you suddenly tell someone you're just friends with benefits and not boyfriend and girlfriend after a year how much benefit of the doubt do you deserve?

There's a certain point where I feel that if someone says something that could clearly be expected to blow up the relationship, even if the other person gets mad and does something unnecessary and even if there's a small possibility that there was a misunderstanding, I don't feel like it pushes it into "ESH' territory.

It's kind of similar to if he said he wanted to open up the relationship (after all isn't that what friends with benefits implies?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 1, 2024

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Mitch Hedberg posted:

I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl who would get really mad if she heard me say that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

deoju posted:

I don't think that's how this kind of thing works.

I suppose it could just mean that she has accepted the proposal, but is not ready to tell wear a ring, refer to the OP as her fiancé and talk to friends and families about it at that moment, because it'd be mentally overwhelming or something.

What the OP should have done was to remain calm and sit her down and talk about it. But he's still at the stage of mental development where he's "giving consistent hints" and thinks "girl code" is a real thing, so he didn't.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I think breaking up because she rejected the proposal would be justified in itself if that's what he really wanted but deciding that it means she's cheating because of "girl code" is insanely dumb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, poor girl dodged a bullet.

Shanghaied posted:

I suppose it could just mean that she has accepted the proposal, but is not ready to tell wear a ring, refer to the OP as her fiancé and talk to friends and families about it at that moment, because it'd be mentally overwhelming or something.

What the OP should have done was to remain calm and sit her down and talk about it. But he's still at the stage of mental development where he's "giving consistent hints" and thinks "girl code" is a real thing, so he didn't.

Kinda funny to hear the 'they obviously got my subtle hints' narrative with the genders flipped for once.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Crocobile posted:

Fiancé is correct in the title but “finance” throughout the post and it’s pissing me off.

I'm going to start pronouncing finance like fiance now, actually.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Breaking up after a failed proposal isn't uncommon, nor is it an rear end in a top hat move, but this guy is absolutely a loving monster.

There's no other proof GF was loving around, right? I didn't just blank that out?

The proof is his sister reads a lot of Reddit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mystes posted:

They were together one year, not seven, and he explicitly responded that they were friends with benefits. Maybe ideally she should have confirmed but if you suddenly tell someone you're just friends with benefits and not boyfriend and girlfriend after a year how much benefit of the doubt do you deserve?

There's a certain point where I feel that if someone says something that could clearly be expected to blow up the relationship, even if the other person gets mad and does something unnecessary and even if there's a small possibility that there was a misunderstanding, I don't feel like it pushes it into "ESH' territory.

It's kind of similar to if he said he wanted to open up the relationship (after all isn't that what friends with benefits implies?)

What's funny to me about the story as presented is it seems pretty obvious that from like an hour after he left he was desperately trying to roll back what he said and get back in contact

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's funny to me about the story as presented is it seems pretty obvious that from like an hour after he left he was desperately trying to roll back what he said and get back in contact

Yeah my impression is that he thought he won the lottery with an attached partner he didn't actually have to commit to. Then he realized she thought they were committed and panicked and squashed that to 'reset'. Then when she pulled back, he further realized the only reason he was getting that attached partner treatment in the first place was because she thought they were committed, and she isn't going to give that same level of care to a FWB situation.

He realized too late that he actually enjoyed being her boyfriend, if that was what it was like. Welp. Now you're definitely not dating, buddy. Good job.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Midnight Voyager posted:

Like she should have said what the problem was, but him not getting it after she said that "Since we're not a couple" thing is absolutely stunning, I'm still reeling. I'm not sure he'd understand the words "I am upset because you said we're not together" after that.

Yeah that's where I voted NTA - he straight up said they were still FWB, not in a relationship & then got upset that she took it seriously. The whole "you cheated on me" part was laughable, this guy's got 2 brain cells fighting for 3rd place.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Nah, I'm sticking with ESH and I really don't see how people consider her reaction reasonable. I think it's dumb to completely blow up and burn to the ground a seven year relationship over one comment and one quick follow-up right after. If the relationship has seven years of history, why not wait overnight, then ask for clarification the next day? In a seven month relationship if my partner said something really weird and confusing I'd wait a day for any emotions to cool off, then have a conversation the next day. Not putting in that kind of small effort to rule out any of the weirdness and inconsistency that people do makes no sense to me, it's not like waiting for one day and one potentially-final conversation is a huge investment. I think the result of that conversation would probably be a breakup in this case, but I don't understand not being sure.

And if you do think the thing is over, why not just say that on Saturday and be done with it instead of obsessing over it, then implementing a complex plan to bang someone else and entice the other person to ask questions that let you drop the 'I spent the night with another man' bomb on him in response? I'm not a fan of RL drama so maybe I just don't get it.

Iunno, maybe words have meaning :shrug: If you say something hurtful and repeatedly insist that you're serious then it doesn't particularly matter what your motivation is.

I do agree it would probably have been healthier on her part to rip the bandaid off and be done with it, but she did just take him at his literal word that they were FWB.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if you turn down a proposal the onus is on you to repair/maintain the relationship. his specific reasoning is dumb but it kinda doesn't matter - she broke the relationship when she rejected him and did nothing to provide alternative assurance

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It sounded like she was providing assurances by the dudes own words

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rat Patrol posted:

I mean it's pretty normal to break up after a failed proposal. There's no more obvious sign you're just at different points in your life and have vastly different ideas for what the relationship is, which is a real good reason to end things. It's pretty silly to get all paranoid and invent a reason beyond that.

:emptyquote:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Really wonder how strong the dudes “hints” were if his gf of 4 years froze up like a deer in the headlights. It’s 2024, it’s ok to ask your committed partner “so, hey, uh, getting married what do you think” and have a conversation.

It’s been said in this thread before but the proposal shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. The time and place can absolutely be a surprise (and I’m sure people will still gently caress this up by proposing to their introverted partners on the jumbotron, etc), but “do you want to marry me y/n” should not be a question

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for not bringing 40 raw eggs on a plane?

quote:

Okay I know that this post sounds really silly but I swear its all true.

I (F15) have a dad(42) that lives in a different state than my mother and I. I get into constant fights with my father so I don’t visit him often; and when I do visit it is very brief. Today, the fight was about chicken eggs. You see, my father has chickens in his backyard. We’re not farmers or anything, he just likes having chickens. These chickens are breed to lay eggs, and oh boy they are good at their job. In fact, they are so good, my father had about 40 spare eggs just lying around.

Earlier this morning, my father asked me if I wanted to bring a bag of eggs to my grandparents house for Easter and I responded with a no. So what does he do? He cleans all the eggs, wraps them up in bubble wrap, and puts them in a bag.

The time comes for me to leave the for the airport, and he gives me this bag of 40 freaking raw eggs. I laugh and he yells at me telling me to bring the eggs on the plane, and I AGAIN say no. We fight back and forth a bit until my stepmom chimed in, siding with me, saying that it was ridiculous for me to do what my father was asking me to do. He then stormed off.

I do not think I am TA, but I just wanted to get some outside opinions.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

ApplesandOranges posted:

About how many ounces of liquid are in an average egg?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Surprisingly, raw eggs in carry on luggage is ok.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Surprisingly enough, you can being raw eggs onto a plane:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/fresh-eggs

But gently caress travelling with 40 raw eggs though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ApplesandOranges posted:

I got a laugh out of that one, it's so odd. I would've assumed up front that you couldn't carry on raw eggs, but I saw that OP looked it up, and they're allowed? Maybe nobody in the TSA thought to ban them because who would carry them in the first place. I've talked about how much I love fresh eggs from a home flock before, but I wouldn't even consider doing that. Air travel's already a pain, and that feels like you're just asking for an extra accident to deal with.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got a laugh out of that one, it's so odd. I would've assumed up front that you couldn't carry on raw eggs, but I saw that OP looked it up, and they're allowed? Maybe nobody in the TSA thought to ban them because who would carry them in the first place. I've talked about how much I love fresh eggs from a home flock before, but I wouldn't even consider doing that. Air travel's already a pain, and that feels like you're just asking for an extra accident to deal with.
It seems like they are specifically allowed. If there was just no rule you would have to follow the normal rules for liquids (having them all in one clear bag) and it doesn't sound like that's the case.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People also said in the comments that if the dad washed the eggs, they're already probably on the way to spoiling.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Smash mouth fly the eggs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

People also said in the comments that if the dad washed the eggs, they're already probably on the way to spoiling.

The reason why commercially produced eggs in north America have to be kept refrigerated is because they wash the cuticle off. Unwashed eggs can last for weeks at room temperature, and is why eggs aren't refrigerated in grocery stores in a large portion of the world.

Captain Hygiene posted:

When masking was still required on flights, I saw a family bring a large tray of fried chicken through security and onto the plane, then nibbled on it the entire flight as an excuse not to wear their masks. Apparently that is allowed, but having slightly too much contact cleaner or mouthwash still makes you a terrorist.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

It seems like they are specifically allowed. If there was just no rule you would have to follow the normal rules for liquids (having them all in one clear bag) and it doesn't sound like that's the case.

I'm sure the powerful Senate and House poultry caucuses or whatever have something to do with it. I'm only like 40% joking.

The_Franz posted:

When masking was still required on flights, I saw a family bring a large tray of fried chicken through security and onto the plane, then nibbled on it the entire flight as an excuse not to wear their masks. Apparently that is allowed, but having slightly too much contact cleaner or mouthwash still makes you a terrorist.

At that point you just wanna wear your mask to avoid smelling their eggy farts

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 1, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Only on Joe Biden America you are allowed to fly foreign eggs into the country but you are banned from painting the religious cross on them

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
My GF left me because I lost all our savings on my interstate egg arbitrage scheme. She asked me "could you at the very least not fly business???!!!" and I said "bitch, this is my business!!!"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AITA for kicking out my sister for her emo outfit and telling her she can go to the funeral when she wears respectable clothes

quote:

Last weekend was my dads funeral. I planned it since my mom has been a reck. My mom and my sister are not close. I am also not close to her and I think she is a dick. So I am probably bias.

My sister dresses in the emo style. So skulls, collars, lots of blacks and reds, heavy makeup and so on. I truly don’t care most of the time, she can wear what she wants. This is a issue at important events, my wedding she did this even after she agreed to tone it down. She is always going full out with her outfits. I don’t understand why she won’t ever tone it down.

For the funeral she came in wearing a short skirt, band teashirt, heavy makeup, fishnets and jewelry (collar thing and skulls). I was very upset that she couldnt dress appropriately for a funeral and I told her to leave.

She got pissed and told her go home and put on a respectable outfit. She stayed until my mom told her to get the gently caress out since she can’t dress appropriately.

She left and didn’t come back. A lot of people who say her outfit agree she was out of line for a funeral. My sister has been calling me a jerk, and some people are saying I went to far.

quote:

Info- how old is she?

quote:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SpaceViking posted:

About how many ounces of liquid are in an average egg?

Apparently 2 for a big chicken egg, so raw eggs are TSA friendly in that respect.

e: getting pulled out of the xray line with my eggs and asking where the microwave is so I can do an impromptu Smashmoth.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

being too goth for a funeral probably feels like a lifetime achievement

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There's no better place for goth fashion than a funeral.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

though I guess a corset and a frilly skirt would have been more appropriate than a band t-shirt

*advice is gender neutral

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Emo is not goth. Goth would be more appropriate for a funeral than emo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That depends, if the shirt was Dark Funeral, well funeral is in the name so that has to be okay? Asking Alexandria? Inappropriate.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Emo is not goth. Goth would be more appropriate for a funeral than emo.
Maybe ask her to keep it more at the goth end of emo with more black colors and less red then?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many of the reddit comments are asking for her username

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Emo is not the same as goth though, right?

I went to grad school with a girl who only wore long-sleeved black or white lace dresses. She also had peroxide blonde hair and a fringe. If you met her only once you'd think she was dressed pretty normally, but black or white lace dresses were the only thing she wore every day for the two years I knew her. I wondered if there was some work-appropriate goth thing going on, but she was always nice and I was not big enough of a dick to ask. I heard she went to work for PricewaterhouseCoopers. I guess the dresses would work professionally if she threw a blazer on top?

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 1, 2024

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Emo is not the same as goth though, right?

I went to grad school with a girl who only wore long-sleeved black or white lace dresses. She also had peroxide blonde hair and a fringe. If you met her only once you'd think she was dressed pretty normally, but black or white lace dresses were the only thing she wore every day for the two years I knew her. I wondered if there was some work-appropriate goth thing going on, but she was always nice and I was not big enough of a dick to ask. I heard she went to work for PricewaterhouseCoopers.I guess the dresses would work professionally if she threw a blazer on top?

A ghoul, then. Easy mistake to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shanghaied posted:

Her being too anxious/overwhelmed/embarrassed of him/whatever is reason enough to reneg the engagement and end the relationship, way better than whatever nonsense his sister fed him.

Kicking her out of the shared living space with a few hours notice is a bit much though.