Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin for the entirety of my 37 years on this planet and neither me nor my parents have ever put on snow tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

do you mean like, tires with a snow rating or like, those black metal tires with all yhe crazy spikes

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Douchebag posted:

They called my wife and told her the VIN could change if someone happened to walk into the Charlotte location at 1130 tonight and buys it.

Say what? They would have to remove the windshield to do this, at least. And isn't the VIN typically etched all over the car? This is a straight up lie.

Tesla was supposed to be more chill than dealerships. :sigh:

e: Here's where the VIN exists: link. So, in addition to needing the factory to print a new plate, it would also require that plate being replaced, and the windshield removed and re-attached.

I'm surprised the VIN isn't in more places.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 1, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On tesla chat, most OEM promos are the same - the fine print includes "must take delivery by [DAY X]" in most cases. So that's not really different at all.

cruft posted:

Say what? They would have to remove the windshield to do this, at least. And isn't the VIN typically etched all over the car? This is a straight up lie.

What they mean is that they'll swap the car you put money down on for another identical car, they just say it in a stupid way to try to obfuscate the fact that they're selling "your" car to someone else.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On tesla chat, most OEM promos are the same - the fine print includes "must take delivery by [DAY X]" in most cases. So that's not really different at all.

Yes, it's two weeks, I think. You have to sign three documents that repeat this. Dad wasn't in any danger of bumping against this so I don't recall the exact time, but I do recall reading it three times.

I read contracts before I sign them. I hold a piece of paper or pen over the line I'm reading and when the salesperson starts trying to explain to me what I'm signing, I stop reading. Sometimes it takes them a while to understand that they're slowing things down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What they mean is that they'll swap the car you put money down on for another identical car, they just say it in a stupid way to try to obfuscate the fact that they're selling "your" car to someone else.

This makes more sense than "change the VIN". I'm still angry about it, though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

All worked out, we go pick it up tomorrow in NC. No price change, they honored the price that was locked in on Sunday and the “COME GET IT TODAY” tactic was stupid. I couldn’t insure it yesterday anyway. No one bought the car that’s sitting in NC LOL.

So all good. Looking forward to this too.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

FISHMANPET posted:

I've lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin for the entirety of my 37 years on this planet and neither me nor my parents have ever put on snow tires.

I live in the mountains of Utah and for 20 years of driving I also never used snow tires. Then I got a job where I had to commute 500 miles round trip up to Idaho once a week during a particularly snowy winter so I decided what the heck, I’ll try out those winter tires everyone’s talking about.
The difference is so noticeable that I’ll always use a good winter tire from now on each winter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cruft posted:

Yes, it's two weeks, I think. You have to sign three documents that repeat this. Dad wasn't in any danger of bumping against this so I don't recall the exact time, but I do recall reading it three times.

I read contracts before I sign them. I hold a piece of paper or pen over the line I'm reading and when the salesperson starts trying to explain to me what I'm signing, I stop reading. Sometimes it takes them a while to understand that they're slowing things down.

shockingly, rather than truly revolutionizing the purchase experience, Tesla just gradually coopted a bunch of lovely dealership tactics at its owned stores

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Yes people continue to make terrible decisions because “that’s just how we’ve been doing it”.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think a big part is that we're just a family of non drivers. Maybe back when I was in high school and they were driving to work regularly it might have made sense. Me now I live in the city and if the roads are remotely bad I just don't drive, which is very easy since I take transit to work. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere and just literally doesn't leave the house during the winter. My mom also lives in the city and is retired and just doesn't drive when there's snow on the road.

Idk maybe if I had the tools and knowledge to do it myself now I might bother, but as it stands no matter the time of year I'm driving on dry bare pavement.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I've always purchased snow tires for our vehicles - I live in a New England state. But I've started to question the wisdom of this with how little snow accumulation we've had the last 2-3 years.

The good news is that they last quite a while since the winter months keep shrinking and each year they get less and less miles. The bad news is I'm still paying to have them put on and taken off.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Russian Bear posted:

Yes people continue to make terrible decisions because “that’s just how we’ve been doing it”.

To sell snow tires to the masses you would probably arrange meetup where people can try snow, all season and summers at closed circuit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

I'm still laughing at the thought of Tesla employees climbing all over the car, grinding VINs off and replacing them like a methhead chopshop.

Cactus Ghost posted:

do you mean like, tires with a snow rating or like, those black metal tires with all yhe crazy spikes

What in the world?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
never seen the black metal spike tires or cattle pushers welded to the grill? must not be from jersey

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I've always purchased snow tires for our vehicles - I live in a New England state. … The bad news is I'm still paying to have them put on and taken off.

When I lived in Eastern Oregon, the only tire place in town was Les Schwab, and if you bought a set of snow tires and a set of rims for them, from them, they’d swap them on and off gratis. Takes a bit to amortize that cost, of course, but makes sense if you’re living there long term.

Don’t know if they still do it, though - wasn’t super impressed with how expensive things had gotten the last time I was there.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Ironically living in Nova Scotia where there's a fair bit more snow than Vancouver I feel like we needed winters more in Vancouver. On the west coast the city just didn't have enough plows/equipment to clean up the streets in a timely fashion. In Nova Scotia the plows are out constantly and they keep the roads in pretty good shape except for the few hours after a big storm. When we had a big snowfall in Vancouver it sometimes took 3+ days before a plow would be spared to even do an initial plow of our street.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Elviscat posted:

I'm still laughing at the thought of Tesla employees climbing all over the car, grinding VINs off and replacing them like a methhead chopshop.

I think it was worded more like “if you don’t come take ownership RIGHT NOW, we are going to sell it and the VIN will change!”

Which still annoyed me because they require proof of insurance which I couldn’t get on Easter Sunday, so it was all idle dealer threats.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Douchebag posted:

idle dealer threats.

Yeah, pretty much.

:sigh:

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Blue Moonlight posted:

When I lived in Eastern Oregon, the only tire place in town was Les Schwab, and if you bought a set of snow tires and a set of rims for them, from them, they’d swap them on and off gratis. Takes a bit to amortize that cost, of course, but makes sense if you’re living there long term.

Don’t know if they still do it, though - wasn’t super impressed with how expensive things had gotten the last time I was there.

I had them swap my snow tires a couple years ago and was pretty socked by the cost, stopped going to them after that. I grew up in the Colorado Rockies and now live the PNW, both places you benefit from winter tires or at least snow rated, it really does make a big difference.

Had some friends move up from the south and they slide a bit trying to stop during a snow storm so the next week they traded their car for a Outback and I had to explain to them that all cars have 4 wheel brakes and AWD wouldn’t of stopped them any faster, only better tires will do that!

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 1, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Squibbles posted:

Ironically living in Nova Scotia where there's a fair bit more snow than Vancouver I feel like we needed winters more in Vancouver. On the west coast the city just didn't have enough plows/equipment to clean up the streets in a timely fashion. In Nova Scotia the plows are out constantly and they keep the roads in pretty good shape except for the few hours after a big storm. When we had a big snowfall in Vancouver it sometimes took 3+ days before a plow would be spared to even do an initial plow of our street.

How the snow comes down (often with some sleet/rain) and usually has a melt/refreeze cycle on the road makes it a lot more treacherous than just regular packed snow too.

Living in Calgary where they just toss some sand on the packed snow roads and it’s fine is a totally different experience than from Vancouver. Also the geography there are a lot of hilly spots that just become absolute no go zones. I have a mental route to get home when it snows that snakes all over the place avoiding the hills because I know the hills will just be jammed up with slid out cars piled into each other.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also I was next to a Hummer EV this morning and it was pretty neat. The suspension is really moving about even on the smoothest of roads. Didn’t look any larger or imposing than the average full size truck tbh.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cruft posted:

e: Here's where the VIN exists: link. So, in addition to needing the factory to print a new plate, it would also require that plate being replaced, and the windshield removed and re-attached.

I'm surprised the VIN isn't in more places.
He meant they could give him a different car, not change the vin of a specific car. Lol.

cruft posted:

That is among the dumbest possible things to be mad about.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sorry you're so irritated about me being mad about the OP getting jerked around that you had to post about it.

We calculated last night that since we've had the LEAF, we've put a maximum of 5000 miles on it per year. This puts us into "low-mileage car" insurance territory.

It got me wondering how many LEAFs are around the same miles per year. I saw a lot of used 7-year-old models for sale with under 60,000 miles. 52,500 would be the cutoff for a low-mileage discount.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 1, 2024

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla’s Q1 production/deliveries ended down ~10% YOY.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
maybe Elon’s antics are finally starting to bear fruit in the company’s balance sheet

Either that or it’s the economy/people’s finances, I guess

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

trilobite terror posted:

maybe Elon’s antics are finally starting to bear fruit in the company’s balance sheet

Either that or it’s the economy/people’s finances, I guess

Probably the later plus competition. Most people could care less about Elons antics when making a car purchase.

US market seems to be cooling on EVs, Europes economy is in a slump, and Teslas getting outcompeted by the Chinese EVs in China and other parts of Asia pacific.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The bad news is I'm still paying to have them put on and taken off.
This is why I always advocate buying a spare set of wheels for winter tires, then you can swap 'em yourself for free in about 20 minutes with some basic garage tools.

If you can't get steelies that fit your car or don't like the look it's usually pretty easy to find entry-level OEM wheels for cheap that someone swapped out for aftermarket. This also has the benefit of allowing you to run a smaller wheel in the winter for more of that pothole-cushioning sidewall.

priznat posted:

Also I was next to a Hummer EV this morning and it was pretty neat. The suspension is really moving about even on the smoothest of roads. Didn’t look any larger or imposing than the average full size truck tbh.
Interesting, I had the opposite impression, I saw one for the first time the other day coming at me on the other side of the highway and immediately noticed its size. It stood out from traffic the moment it came in to view, well before it was close enough for me to see what it was (which was still pretty far away due to the distinctive design).

Definitely neat though, that category of vehicle isn't my thing but they sure seem to have nailed the assignment. There is no doubt that thing is a Hummer and is made to appeal to Hummer people as much as an EV can.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Probably the later plus competition. Most people could care less about Elons antics when making a car purchase.

US market seems to be cooling on EVs, Europes economy is in a slump, and Teslas getting outcompeted by the Chinese EVs in China and other parts of Asia pacific.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/would-be-tesla-buyers-snub-company-musks-reputation-dips-2024-04-01/

quote:

Overall electric vehicle sales in the U.S. are forecast to increase 15% in the first quarter of this year, according to estimates by researcher Cox Automotive. Tesla sales are projected to increase by 3%.

"The EV slowdown is shaping up to be a Tesla slowdown," Cox analyst Stephanie Valdez Streaty said during a conference call Thursday.

New car registrations for Teslas in California- their biggest market in the U.S. - posted their first drop in over three years in the fourth quarter of 2023 even as EV sales rose overall.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I think it's all of the above, most likely. I think that Elons antics are absolutely affecting the sales. Like it or not, if you have a Tesla, you're kind of associated with that guy. It's definitely a blocker.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Yeah, combination of enshittification of Tesla and the diversity of competitors now available means Tesla's going to be hurting,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

wolrah posted:

Interesting, I had the opposite impression, I saw one for the first time the other day coming at me on the other side of the highway and immediately noticed its size. It stood out from traffic the moment it came in to view, well before it was close enough for me to see what it was (which was still pretty far away due to the distinctive design).

Definitely neat though, that category of vehicle isn't my thing but they sure seem to have nailed the assignment. There is no doubt that thing is a Hummer and is made to appeal to Hummer people as much as an EV can.

Yeah it was definitely large but it was probably more of an I was expecting it to be even larger sort of thing. It didn’t seem as obnoxious as I had expected it would be, basically.

It is definitely an impressive looking vehicle and surprisingly I didn’t hate it. Looks good in white.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Low mileage eTransit vans are already in the $30K region. I wonder if I can convince my Dad to trade his pickup?

He never takes the canopy off, so there's literally nothing the van wouldn't do better (except drive over 150 miles before stopping).

I could convert it to a living room on wheels, and still haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is that what you’re planning on doing? Living in your dad’s van?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The post/username combo checks out.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I just viewed the Junk in the Trunk thread so I was visibly confused with where I was for a second

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bone Crimes posted:

I think it's all of the above, most likely. I think that Elons antics are absolutely affecting the sales. Like it or not, if you have a Tesla, you're kind of associated with that guy. It's definitely a blocker.

I'd say the main full reason is straight out about buyers not wanting to support Musk and adverse publicity around the Cybershit. Tesla with a non stupid CEO would be doing a lot better even with it's current lineup and I doubt the Cyberturd would have happened. There's still a LOT of space for EV's to grow as a market

TBH A Model Y is pretty much the kind of car I'd want - more than quick enough, decent range, can throw a bike in the back without taking the wheels off etc. It's almost wagonesque in the back with the seats down and it would come from Shanghai which actually does screw cars together well...... There is no fuckign way however with the transphobe in charge. I'm not sure he's the worst racist in charge of a car company, or biggest transphobe or neo nazi but holy poo poo it's combined to be one utterly huge awful package that IS way worse than anyone else. The thing here too is Musk also just does not shut up so he never gives it a chance to blow over so it's always in people's faces how much of a piece of poo poo he is

And worth repeating, the chuds might fondle his balls now, but they wont buy his products

People that buy EV's are more progressive by nature and would be repelled by chud in charge? Who would have thought?

(Also far more likely to have buying decisions that stick rather than rage boycotts that go away after a few months, progressives aren't dumb and nowhere near as reactionary as the alt-rights shitheads, they are far more likely to make permanent buying decisions I believe)

As a mod note, while posters may have their opinions to buy or not buy - and as above I certainly have my opinion too - this thread stands as a neutral zone where all EV's are accepted and posters are "encouraged" to not question why/why not someone bought the car they did.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The idea that this is all about Musk is just in your heads. It’s a whole-of-industry slowdown.

Maybe Tesla would have declined less without the bad press, sure, but you only need to see every other carmaker’s struggles to gain a sense of perspective on this.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to drive a hybrid Prius 1800 miles for viewing the eclipse. It will be a nice taste for options in November when the Polestar lease is up. 39K residual is lol no.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The pickup today was stupid easy. She signed like 4 forms, got her “keys” and off she went. Instantly loved it, and so happy she didn’t buy something like a Malibu. I’m also very impressed with it, such a fun car to drive.

Also saw a Cybertruck….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I keep writing replies to this and deleting them. Feels like musk chat.

Suffice to say from a car selling standpoint Elon seems to be on a weird path. From a protect EVs from the worst of the oil company attacks, maybe it makes sense. I dunno.

I have yet to meet anybody with a neutral opinion about the guy. And as CI said, his fans don't seem to be buying the cars a lot. Ican't see that being good for the company.