Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1773729299163492423

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are the other respondents dont know or is just literally every country in the world selected at random by the remaining fifty eight percent

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

are the other respondents dont know or is just literally every country in the world selected at random by the remaining fifty eight percent

I hear top, I click China

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Some Guy TT posted:

Mostly don't know/refused but also no country

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/07/27/americans-name-china-as-the-country-posing-the-greatest-threat-to-the-us/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mawarannahr posted:

boiled eggplant with ham and corn

I will kill you (by feeding you this dish)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

6% fully understand the world situation.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wish refused was recorded separate. I will not name the US top ally! You cannot make me!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
everyone else looking at the UK and hoping they never become the 'top ally'

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

:australia:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

'Australia' doesn't exist. Kill the Australian in your mind.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bald Stalin posted:

I wish

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Bald Stalin posted:

Have a drink, mate? Have a fight, mate? Have a taste of dust and sweat, mate? There's nothing else out here.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Have a drink, mate? Have a fight, mate? Have a taste of dust and sweat, mate? There's nothing else out here.

Galahs

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/markets/status/1774621382694903998?s=20

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
China ftw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they need massive amounts of lithium to deal with the depression resulting from ccp rule!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cool

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1774696896210034897?t=oC4AgNyVSWZEuB2-YbMVtQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1774699667818791224?t=EnYMfA_TV-9TDGQokmN_UA&s=19

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They've finally done it. They made the car ad from the Animatrix in real life.

E :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRihnHenvo&t=50s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

So could anyone expand on how the Philippines has broken its commitments in the SCS?

a good follow-up to this:

code:
https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1773938209380307072

quote:

The US is playing a very dangerous game in the South China Sea, where instead of trying to appease tensions like a responsible power should do, it backs maximalist claims that violate International Law, and lies egregiously for that purpose.

Here is Nicholas Burns, the US ambassador to China, saying in an interview 2 weeks ago (https://youtube.com/watch?v=a38IsiPMnoI):

“You've seen over the last couple of months some 10 standoffs between Filipino naval forces and both Chinese coastguards and Chinese military vessels at a place called Second Thomas Shoal and also in Scarborough Shoal. Now it's important for everybody on this zoomcast to understand that the International Court of Justice, which is the relevant legal body, ruled in July 2016 decisively in favour of the Philippines. And so that that territory is the sovereign territory of the Philippines and that China’s legal claim to it has no basis in international law. All the rest of the world understands that and recognises that this is sovereign Filipino territory.”

This is absolutely packed with lies.

First of all, it was NOT the International Court of Justice (ICJ) but the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) that made the July 2016 ruling (https://pca-cpa.org/en/cases/7/). This is a very important distinction because rulings by the PCA - unlike rulings by the ICJ - do NOT carry the weight of international law. Furthermore, in this case, China declined to participate in the arbitration.

Secondly the PCA ruling in question absolutely does NOT confirm the Scarborough Shoal and Second Thomas Shoal as "sovereign Filipino territory". For the simple reason that the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), which is the international law framework the PCA was asked to arbitrate under, “does not address the sovereignty of states over land territory”. In fact the PCA, in its ruling, specifically said that it had “not been asked to, and does not purport to, make any ruling as to which state enjoys sovereignty over any land territory in the South China Sea, in particular with respect to the disputes concerning sovereignty over the Spratly Islands [where the Second Thomas Shoal is] or Scarborough Shoal”!

This is all the more ironic because the US is one of the rare countries out there that refused to sign or ratify UNCLOS, contrary to China...

What the ruling DID say with regards to the Scarborough Shoal and Second Thomas Shoal is as follows:

- For the Scarborough Shoal, it ruled that they are rocks that cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their own, do not generate an exclusive economic zone (EEZ) or continental shelf entitlements beyond their 12-nautical-mile territorial sea. It also ruled that both Chinese and Filipino fishermen, among others, had traditional fishing rights in the area and that no party should prevent the other from exercising these rights.

- For the Second Thomas Shoal, the ruling declared that it is a "low-tide elevation", that "does not generate entitlements to a territorial sea, exclusive economic zone, or continental shelf" but that it is "within the exclusive economic zone and continental shelf of the Philippines", with the consequence that the Philippines have rights over the resources in these areas.

That's it, it's a ruling about maritime entitlements under UNCLOS, not about the sovereignty over these territories.

Thirdly, Burns’ statement that “all the rest of the world understands that and recognises that this is sovereign Philippine territory” is even more egregious. This is patently untrue, even for US allies. For instance Britain, France and Germany in their 2020 "note verbale" to the UN on the matter (https://un.org/Depts/los/clcs_new/submissions_files/mys_12_12_2019/2020_09_16_DEU_NV_UN_001.pdf), specifically wrote that they “take no position” over the “disputed territorial sovereignty to naturally formed land features and to areas of the continental shelf in the South China Sea”.

In fact, until this declaration by Burns, this would have been untrue for the US themselves! Their position so far had been that - just like Britain, France and Germany - they did not take a position on the sovereignty claims themselves. The main reason is because these claims do not only involve the PRC and the Philippines but also the ROC (Taiwan), who also claim both the Scarborough Shoal and Second Thomas Shoal, as well as Vietnam and Malaysia who have also made claims over other parts of the Spratly Islands archipelago (of which the Second Thomas Shoal is part of). As such, unilaterally siding with one of the claimants over the others is a rather bizarre position for Washington.

Lastly, if the US wanted to be constructive here, instead of backing one state or the other in its maximalist claims in order to fuel conflict, it should encourage the negotiation of the Code of Conduct (CoC) for the South China Sea that's currently being discussed between ASEAN countries and China.

This is a diplomatic effort to end disputes. Why not support that instead of siding with one party against others, which can only fuel the disputes? The answer is simple: this is part of a broader and immensely worrying trend which we see in U.S. conduct generally (be it in Ukraine, Gaza, Taiwan, etc.) where the U.S. 1) jumps on all opportunities to sabotage diplomacy and fan the flames of conflict and war and 2) support the arbitrary and ever-changing self-interested rules of its "rules-based order" in opposition of International Law.

Why do they do that? I genuinely think we need to seriously ask ourselves if the U.S. doesn't want to recreate a WW2-type scenario where the whole world is in flames and the U.S., protected by its immensely favorable geography, ends up reaping the benefits. If there's a "great reset" initiative going on, that might be the one. WW2 placed the U.S. at the top of the global pecking order: at a time when this "leadership" is crumbling down, it's not inconceivable that they wouldn't mind a remake...

quote:

If you're a Filipino who follows this issue, you must know very well that those water cannons aren't to prevent fishing in the area but to prevent construction material to be brought over to the Sierra Madre wreck in order to transform it into a permanent feature over the Second Thomas Shoal, which is actually illegal under international law...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If that is the US' goal. What geographical advantage do they think they have over China? Land invasion though the Himalayas? Restart the Korean war first?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If that is the US' goal. What geographical advantage do they think they have over China? Land invasion though the Himalayas? Restart the Korean war first?

I'm assuming, like with Russia and Europe, the goal isn't to defeat China in a military conflict (tho they would be delighted if they could). it's to force their proxies in the region to pick a side and extract wealth from the ones that alienate China. a new iron curtain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crepeface posted:

I'm assuming, like with Russia and Europe, the goal isn't to defeat China in a military conflict (tho they would be delighted if they could). it's to force their proxies in the region to pick a side and extract wealth from the ones that alienate China. a new iron curtain.

Funny thing is I think they've been doing this for so long that their proxies are basically spent, or close to it, and as I've said a bunch, American foreign policy has become so nakedly predatory and rapacious that there's no longer any real incentive even to comply, because they'll gently caress you over harder if you do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the other day, the daughter of the Liberal Party's chairman, who was a sitting senator for six years from 2016 on, and ran for the Vice Presidency in 2022 and lost, started posting about how one of our Presidents, Diosdado Macapagal, was a CIA asset. She linked the copy of "Killing Hope" that's hosted by cia.gov under the bin Laden files as a citation. She also mentioned the destruction of Manila by the US Army during the battle to liberate the city from Imperial Japan, as well as the over-1 million Filipinos who died under the American occupation at the turn of the 20th century

this was in the context this year's joint military exercises between the USA and the Philippines kicking off over the weekend, and a broader discussion of opposition to American forces being based in the country

this immediately provoked a strong reaction from liberal twitter that she was a pro-China sellout and was engaging in whataboutism, along with some people loudly declaring that they didn't care if you had voted for Marcos, that common ground could be found as long as that common ground was opposing China's "bullying"

and that's really the crux of it. the government can be whoever, whatever, and can do what they like domestically, as long as go along with American demands to be anti-China. Arch-liberal media outfit Rappler even has an article today that highlights how both Marcos and Aquino, two supposedly diametrically opposed leaders, ended up having to take anti-China stances in the face of events in the WPS. The intended message is to convey a sense of wonderment, that the WPS is so important that it motivated the two men to put country over politics, but to me, it just reveals how thin these differences really are.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's funny about the 2016 unofficial arbitration was that you have to put up huge money up front to ask them lawyers-for-hire to take a look at your case. I think it was in the neighborhood of 10 millions dollars. Philippines didn't have the money but the US said just pay it we will reimburse you, but they never did.

Another funny thing the Japanese judge went crazy and dashed out extra rulings that the Philippines didn't ask outside of the Sino-Philippines disputes. For example he ruled that Taiwan's only holding in SCS, the Taiping Island was not an island. Taiping island is small but its like one of the few (only?) island that has natural freshwater under the it and has people permanently live on the island. All these characteristics make Taiping island meet the definition of an island. Taiping island being so valuable was the reason ROC held on to it and gave up the other reefs eventually (took over by Philippines or Vietnam). All the stupid rulings soured all other SCS claimants in the region, that's why nobody in ASEAN wanted to talk about the 2016 arbitration afterward.

BTW, President Ma in last months of his presidency visited Taiping island to declare ROC sovereignty, this was before the ruling. Now its 8 years later, it's time for President Tsai of to visit Taiping Island before she hand over her government to the new president. But obviously a DPP president is too chickenshit to visit ROC's own islands in SCS.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:26 on Apr 1, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hell yeah, cool japanese judge.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/policytensor/status/1772397814351278427?s=20

article is about ukraine/russia, but this caught my eye:

quote:

But Russia’s economic resilience in the face of supposedly devastating sanctions is only one reflection of a great transformation of world trade. China’s exports to the Global South doubled during the past three years and China now exports more to the South than to developed markets. China’s unprecedented exporting success, in turn, stems from the rapid automation of Chinese industry, which now installs more industrial robots per year than the rest of the world combined.

This is evident, I added, in China’s newfound dominance in the world automotive market but it also has critical military implications. China claims that it has automated plants that can make 1,000 cruise missiles a day—not impossible given that it can manufacture 1,000 EVs a day, or thousands of 5G base stations.

The implication is that China can produce the equivalent of America’s inventory of 4,000 cruise missiles in a week while American defense contractors take years to assemble them by hand.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
loving lmao.

Only more evidence for my theory that China can outproduce the entire west in artillery shells at truly astonishing rates. Like a single Chinese factory probably produces more than everyone in NATO combined.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

crepeface posted:

hell yeah

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

loving lmao.

Only more evidence for my theory that China can outproduce the entire west in artillery shells at truly astonishing rates. Like a single Chinese factory probably produces more than everyone in NATO combined.

So? We'll just sanction them so they cant get the materials they need to make them, now let me take a look at where these materials come from....oh no

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

crepeface posted:

let the missiles fly, Xi, im ready

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
No, thank you. The US's anxiety about China's conventional military growth means it's getting increasingly belligerent and more likely to use nuclear weapons. The Atlantic Council even floated a couple articles arguing for nuclear first use

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

the US should nuke itself so China can divert the cruise missile production capacity to green technologies

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

No, thank you. The US's anxiety about China's conventional military growth means it's getting increasingly belligerent and more likely to use nuclear weapons. The Atlantic Council even floated a couple articles arguing for nuclear first use

any discussion that comes out of the West about possible first strikes by an opponent have always been projections and justifications for the West doing a first strike

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The US military was talking about using nuke against China in one of the Taiwan strait crises in the late 50s, just a few years before PRC tested their first nuke. So the only thing that can prevent the US use nuke is expedite warhead stockpile and reach near nuclear parity against the US.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

stephenthinkpad posted:

The US military was talking about using nuke against China in one of the Taiwan strait crises in the late 50s, just a few years before PRC tested their first nuke. So the only thing that can prevent the US use nuke is expedite warhead stockpile and reach near nuclear parity against the US.

that, or buy out all the us ceos so they bring the us mic to heal on chinas behalf

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Reuters/status/1774856754922181115?s=20

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

reminder that he was toppled for not being 100% in with going to war with russia

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wow just in time after the election is over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

loving lmao.

Fucken Russia can do this, China wouldn't break a sweat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hes still in prison because its just one of the charges