Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that boogie2988 is trying to pivot to right wing ragebaiting but all he can do is go 'i think its okay for white people to be in video games' and then cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes tweeted that like literally 20 times

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I only know from talking over the funny parts of Phantasmagoria 2 (bad) and crying about Ultima 9 (not unreasonable). Every time I looked him up since, dude seemed like more of a mess. What was Spoony's malfunction? I am ready for the horrid truth.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
to his credit, boogie doesn’t have the fortitude to fully commit to the bit so the most he can bring himself to do is some mealy-mouthed “I just think games should be fun for everybody, including white people” poo poo from 2014

GodspeedYou!Witchy
Jun 24, 2020

wizard2 posted:

I only know from talking over the funny parts of Phantasmagoria 2 (bad) and crying about Ultima 9 (not unreasonable). Every time I looked him up since, dude seemed like more of a mess. What was Spoony's malfunction? I am ready for the horrid truth.

Being at the right place at the right time to get a bunch of popularity and money in the early youtube days while also having untreated mental illness and a twitter addiction.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

wizard2 posted:

Just a guy who never got his mental disorders under control, and had some dumb takes on Final Fantasy. Also spread the word that Phantasmagoria 2 was actually good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wizard2 posted:

spoony said some weird poo poo to some of the other people around him but i dont recall him doing anything like, monstrous, especially compared to other stuff going on at channel awesome. just seems like a dude with untreated issues. he seems like hes cleaned up his act some because hes done voice over stuff for a few random peoples videos, reuploaded some old stuff that got lost, and doing some streaming.

like his most recent tweets are just banal takes on the matrix.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it was like 6 years ago my friend matched with boogie off seeking arrangements back when it was called that. usually the sugar daddies had posted networks of like 1 million, 10 million, 50, etc. boogie's bio had the minimum amount, $100,000. which is more than he has ever deserved in his life but lol that he was willing to dump it all on sugar babies and lolx2 he eventually instead blew it all on crypto that crashed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he named his dog THAC0 tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cumpantry posted:

it was like 6 years ago my friend matched with boogie off seeking arrangements back when it was called that. usually the sugar daddies had posted networks of like 1 million, 10 million, 50, etc. boogie's bio had the minimum amount, $100,000. which is more than he has ever deserved in his life but lol that he was willing to dump it all on sugar babies and lolx2 he eventually instead blew it all on crypto that crashed
he has a like 19 year old girlfriend that he keeps telling hes going to die of an unspecified disease in 6 months

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Endorph posted:

he has a like 19 year old girlfriend that he keeps telling hes going to die of an unspecified disease in 6 months

How is this such a common YouTuber tactic???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

Boogie is TheDarkID???

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
silly Boogie, if you want to make chudbucks in 2024 you can’t be all “I just want kids to know that it’s okay to be whatever race you are” like Obama is still president when everybody in that space is doing Baltimore bridge collapse DEI trutherism

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I'm surprised Boogie managed to get 2,987 sequels, it seemed like one of the more niche titles in the Wii's library.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Endorph posted:

just think of the inheritance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

Boogie is TheDarkID???

if he was the dark id hed also be the girlfriend, but the girlfriend is unfortunately a separate, real human being

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thankfully, Boogie doesn't have the drive to be full-on open angry hateful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

and a real hero

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Annointed posted:

Thankfully, Boogie doesn't have the drive to be full-on open angry hateful.

that is simply the integrity of a Trending Gamer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skippy McPants posted:

Some early April 1st videos,

Roughest Drafts has changed from a writing channel to a STEM channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyPbeO8zr4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 1, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

spoony said some weird poo poo to some of the other people around him but i dont recall him doing anything like, monstrous, especially compared to other stuff going on at channel awesome. just seems like a dude with untreated issues. he seems like hes cleaned up his act some because hes done voice over stuff for a few random peoples videos, reuploaded some old stuff that got lost, and doing some streaming.

The other worst thing I guess you could say is he promised to make a Spoony movie - because when you get to be a big enough content creator you have to make a terrible movie - when he got to a certain point on Patreon and not only did he not do that that's when his output dropped to basically zero. His sub-reddit is now mostly a mini KiwiFarms and people are genuinely mad he seems to be doing slightly better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its one thing to run off with kickstarter money but making a patreon goal and then not doing it seems much more banal. like people can just drop their support when it becomes clear its not gonna happen, its not like kickstarter where you donate in one big sum.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

thats kind of a relief. it seemed like he was living as a weird recluse who was not coping with something he had done, but I never found out the specifics. too much attention will do that.

I do not wish to learn of the bad takes about Final Fantasy (unless they are the overenthusiastic/overly uncritical kind, because those are fun)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

his opinion on ff7r2 is seemingly that it has too much content so his hot takes have reached a temperature of about negative 50 degrees.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Imagine someone in 2008 making a video hating on Final Fantasy 8. Whatever you picture will probably near perfectly resemble Spoony's review of FF8.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yea hisvideo on ff8 is mostly just squall is emo, the plot makes no sense, i have to grind a bunch, etc. it is very dull. they arent especially good but idk why people get mad at them, those were just reheated gamefaqs opinions.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Imagine someone in 2008 making a video hating on Final Fantasy 8. Whatever you picture will probably near perfectly resemble Spoony's review of FF8.

I refuse

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly the movie thing feels like Spoony set it up as a joke stretch goal he thought he'd never in a million years hit and then whoops buddy actually you still have a huge fan base and it got met basically instantly, and with no actual plans (and honestly not nearly enough money to do a full blown movie unless it was going to be on the level of To Boldly Flee) he ended up panicking and just kicking the can down the road forever. Which isn't like, super ideal or anything but also I totally get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

also yea hisvideo on ff8 is mostly just squall is emo, the plot makes no sense, i have to grind a bunch, etc. it is very dull. they arent especially good but idk why people get mad at them, those were just reheated gamefaqs opinions.

Which I think Spoony mostly rehashed for FFX. I don't care what he thinks of FFX-2 because that's a clearly perfect game so I only assume he spent an hour and a half remarking on that.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

cumpantry posted:

just think of the inheritance

Can you get Keyblades appraised?

E: Can they be repossessed?

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 1, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
did anyone walk away from Channel Awesome into a stable career? I checked its YT page and the videos barely crack 50k views.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

did anyone walk away from Channel Awesome into a stable career? I checked its YT page and the videos barely crack 50k views.
i mean, a lot of them are still youtubing. todd in the shadows is doing well for himself for instance

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheMightyBoops posted:

No but they can repossess you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pentyne posted:

Dunno if it's entirely "stable" but Bennett the Sage, Allison Pregler and Phelous all seem to be doing well with their channels. One of Bennett's friends, Marc Swint, made the jump from doing sound work on Bennett's anime abandon series into a fulltime voice acting gig.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Doesn’t Angry Joe get a ton of views still? I think he’s a Channel Awesome alum.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Linkara has a steady career that is paying his bills. Lindsay Ellis got stuff on Nebula. Kyle Kalgreen has a working Patreon.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Someone give me a list real or not of failed channel awesome creators I remember a few having really funny names.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

If you're not Riku, no. The best everyone else can do is holding it for about 12 seconds before it goes back to whoever owns it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fez_machine posted:

Kind of amused that this is a stealth essay on addiction and exploitation of addictive properties latent in games and there's next to no comments about this element below the video.

It's almost as if people use these super long videos to enter a state of non-awareness.

I wonder what the venn diagram of people who caught that and "people who bother to comment on youtube videos" is

I spent the last 15 minutes of the video in a depressive "gently caress, man, mood" kind of state that I don't usually hit outside of videos posted in the biosphere collapse thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Wasn't the amazing atheist on channel awful for a while too