Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't see how Iran doesn't escalate here. Trump assassinating Soleimani is one thing, Israel killing multiple diplomats and Zahedi is quite another.

i could be wrong, but i think the response will be fairly muted and/or through proxies (stepping up support for the axis of resistance etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno man it seems like Iran and Cuckbollah dont want to enter a war against america so they're pussying out.

But directly bombing an embassy is a major major escalation that they cant (and shouldnt) back down from.
I mean, I don't see any other countries stepping up to even kind of escalate. I get the frustration with the time it's taking, but they are the closest people in the world to actually being at war with America at the moment.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/law-allowing-shuttering-of-al-jazeera-in-israel-passes-final-knesset-readings/
Law allowing shuttering of Al Jazeera in Israel passes final Knesset readings

The so-called Al Jazeera law, which gives the government temporary powers to prevent foreign news networks from operating in Israel if they are deemed to be harming national security, passed its second and third readings in the Knesset plenum.

Praising the law’s passage, Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi says, “There will be no freedom of speech for Hamas mouthpieces in Israel. Al Jazeera will be closed in the coming days.”

Earlier today, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had spoken with coalition whip Ofir Katz to ensure the law would pass.

The law empowers the communications minister to order “content providers” to cease broadcasting the channel in question; order the channel’s Israeli offices to be shuttered; order the channel’s equipment be confiscated; and order the channel’s website to be taken offline, if the server is physically located in Israel, or otherwise block access to the website.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DTA DTI Free Palestine

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/jackmirkinson/status/1774798334877741345?s=20

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...012373#39012373
Iran's ambassador to Syria said between five to seven people were killed in the attack on the Iranian consulate building in Damascus on Monday. The ambassador warned Tehran's response will be harsh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

DTA DTI Free Palestine

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Israel is a rogue state and must be brought down

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
hit that little button and wipe that piece of poo poo off the map imo

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Yeah your not supposed to touch embassies so it’s not much of a intelligence failure as opposed to an insane rogue state

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

VoicesCanBe posted:

Israel is a rogue state and must be brought down

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

HallelujahLee posted:

Yeah your not supposed to touch embassies so it’s not much of a intelligence failure as opposed to an insane rogue state

chinese belgrade embassy: that's what we've been saying!!!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Sarah Cenia posted:

hit that little button and wipe that piece of poo poo off the map imo
No, that's Palestine's rightful land. We need to help them get it back, probably the hard way.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Esran posted:

There's actually scholarly work on this (use the download link to get the proper article, the page itself is slightly mangled and misses e.g. the bibliography). Here's my (limited, amateur, take everything I'm saying with copious salt) understanding, in part informed by this article:

Germany had reasons to want to support Israel immediately post-war: They wanted to be seen to no longer be Nazis since the West needed unity against the Soviets, and by supporting Israel you can pretend that all the former Nazis still working as state functionaries (or actual leaders) aren't Nazis anymore. East Germany were at the time accusing West Germany of not denazifying properly, and strong support of Israel was a shield against that.

In more material terms, supporting Israel allowed Germany to turn Holocaust reparations into a stimulus program for Germany itself. Instead of paying Holocaust survivors money directly, Germany paid Israel reparations in the form of German goods and materiel. That turns the reparations into a wealth transfer from the German state to German businesses, i.e. a stimulus package for the German economy. Not only that, but a lot of reparations money didn't go to victims at all, it just went to the Israeli state.

I don't know if Germany still pays Israel in German goods, but Israel is definitely still using German payments for its own purposes from time to time. The Israeli state pays a stipend to Holocaust survivors, and when Germany increased its payments, Israel reduced theirs. So Germany increasing their payments had no effect for the survivors, it was essentially just a transfer onto the Israeli state budget.

In the seventies, Germany softened their support of Israel because they needed better relations with the Arab states for oil reasons, and this has remained a motive for Germany to "both sides" the conflict: Support Israel strongly on one hand because they're a major trading partner and there's an economic interest, and fund "nation-building" efforts in Palestine to appear friendly to the Arab world.

In political terms, Germany wants to be freed from its Nazi past. They want to be able to have an active foreign policy and be a major world power again, without anyone looking askance at them. They also want a strong national identity, since they spent quite a while as two separate countries. Part of achieving this has been developing an insistence that the Holocaust was a unique event, and detaching it from the context it occurred in (capitalist crisis in the Weimar Republic). It is just a uniquely terrible thing that just happened for some reason. The important thing is that modern Germany can drape themselves in the moral victory of defending vulnerable Israel, the Jewish State, and so forge a positive national identity. That this type of narrative can be used to justify German interventionism doesn't hurt: Germany has made themselves the moral arbiters of the Holocaust, and so when they intervene in another country and say they're doing it to prevent another Auschwitz, who are you to question that? They're the Holocaust-Knowers.

I think this explains why German politicians seem to get so furious when people draw a comparison between Gaza and the Holocaust. It's directly attacking the German national identity as "the people who know what Holocausts look like, and guard against another Holocaust".

Also, for the right wing, Israel provides a great excuse to fearmonger about Muslims. This is also evident in the introduction of a step in the process to acquire citizenship where you must knowledge Israel's right to exist. It's not really about Israel, it's just a way to make Muslims feel less welcome, and a way to "other" Muslims: They don't support Israel, they clearly don't understand how important the Holocaust was, they don't share our culture, better keep them out.

Yup, all of that. And it has been useful to the German state for a long time. Some time ago someone claimed that the German left has historically proven that they couldn't do criticism of Israel without verging into anti-antisemitism (so should shut the gently caress up), as proven by the Entebbe aircraft hijacking.
Significantly more time had passed between Entebbe and that post than between Entebbe and the holocaust.
Also looking at that incident again, classic Israel

quote:

Entebbe raid - Wikipedia]
The Israeli forces landed at Entebbe on 3 July at 23:00 IST, with their cargo bay doors already open. Because the proper layout of the airport was not known, the first plane almost taxied into a ditch.[48] A black Mercedes car that looked like President Idi Amin's vehicle and Land Rovers that usually accompanied Amin's Mercedes were brought along. The Israelis hoped they could use them to bypass security checkpoints. When the C-130s landed, Israeli assault team members drove the vehicles to the terminal building in the same fashion as Amin.[20][70] As they approached the terminal, two Ugandan sentries, aware that Idi Amin had recently purchased a white Mercedes, ordered the vehicles to stop.[71] The first commandos shot the sentries using silenced pistols.[20] This was against the plan and against the orders – the Ugandans were to be ignored, as they were believed not to be likely to open fire at this stage.[48] An Israeli commando in one of the following Land Rovers opened fire with an unsuppressed rifle.[20] Fearing the hijackers would be alerted prematurely, the assault team quickly approached the terminal.[70]

The Israelis left their vehicles and ran towards the terminal. The hostages were in the main hall of the airport building, directly adjacent to the runway. Entering the terminal, the commandos shouted through a megaphone, "Stay down! Stay down! We are Israeli soldiers," in both Hebrew and English. Jean-Jacques Maimoni, a 19-year-old French immigrant to Israel, stood up and was killed when Muki Betser and another soldier mistook him for a hijacker and fired at him.[27] Another hostage, Pasco Cohen, 52, was also fatally wounded by gunfire from the commandos.[72] In addition, a third hostage, 56-year-old Ida Borochovitch, a Russian Jew who had emigrated to Israel, was killed by a hijacker in the crossfire.[73]

According to hostage Ilan Hartuv, Wilfried Böse was the only hijacker who, after the operation began, entered the hall housing the hostages. At first he pointed his Kalashnikov rifle at hostages, but "immediately came to his senses" and ordered them to find shelter in the restroom, before being killed by the commandos. According to Hartuv, Böse fired only at Israeli soldiers and not at hostages.[8]

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1414072030
Six people were killed in an attack on a building near the Iranian embassy in Damascus, Syria. This is according to the opposition organization the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which reported that Israel was behind the attack.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/iranian-media-claims-at-least-six-dead-in-alleged-israeli-strike-on-syria-consulate/
[...]
According to other Iranian media, the targeted building was Iran’s consulate and ambassador’s residence.

Israel is trying to get more of their citizens killed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I hope Israel is thoroughly humbled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I hope Israel is thoroughly humbled.

that will never happen, there's no hope for Israel.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Israel is an antisemitic state so naturally it doesn’t care about killing its own people

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

genericnick posted:

Yup, all of that. And it has been useful to the German state for a long time. Some time ago someone claimed that the German left has historically proven that they couldn't do criticism of Israel without verging into anti-antisemitism (so should shut the gently caress up), as proven by the Entebbe aircraft hijacking.
Significantly more time had passed between Entebbe and that post than between Entebbe and the holocaust.
Also looking at that incident again, classic Israel

Another fun little side effect of German memory culture: Making it a core component of what it means to be German also means it eliminates almost all non-whites from being German. After all, if Ahmed's family emigrated from Turkey in the 60s, why should they feel bad about having done the Holocaust? And if they don't feel bad about doing the Holocaust, are they really German?

You can start seeing this be implemented in actual government policy, like the questions about recognizing Israel being added to their nationalization test.

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

paul_soccer12 posted:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

crepeface posted:

i could be wrong, but i think the response will be fairly muted and/or through proxies (stepping up support for the axis of resistance etc)

yep this is my take as well

if not i hope iran throws a nuke at the israeli elbassy in abu dhabi that way they'll two zionists with one stone

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The zionist rabid fascist vermin are really eager to take the road to hell it seems

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also israel banning all of aljazeera means they are losing and are just like any other asshurt fascist dictatorship who cant face reality. really not a good signof how things are going for the nazis thay they need to take this step.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

"The only democracy in the Middle East"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

also israel banning all of aljazeera means they are losing and are just like any other asshurt fascist dictatorship who cant face reality. really not a good signof how things are going for the nazis thay they need to take this step.

I have to believe for my own mental wellbeing that we will get some justice, even a little bit, in the form of Israel destroying themselves from the inside rather than any outside force. I am bracing myself for the eventual news that America will spend hundreds of billions of dollars to keep Israel afloat.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Al-Saqr posted:

See also: The US banning TikTok.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HallelujahLee posted:

And just like most rogue states, they have US backing so they're just allowed to do it.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

paul_soccer12 posted:

yep

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
lol just lol

quote:

Banning discussion of an active genocide that the US is supporting isn't moderation, it's silencing.

Is there at least a feedback thread coming or any update on what is happening here?

quote:

Its neither. Koos was pretty clear in his post, we simply do not have the capacity to moderate that topic right now. Please do not bring it up in USCE

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

And just like most rogue states, they have US backing so they're just allowed to do it.

yeah but its costing the us permanent damage world-wide

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TikTok divestiture is less about suppression of dissent and more about forcing a foreign corporation to divest its immensely profitable business into the hands of American capital, it’s very much a traditional exercise of capitalist power via capture of government institutions

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

paul_soccer12 posted:

Putrid nation of rabid murderers

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its both they absolutely hate that tik-tok users are pro-palestine

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

looks like israel wants this war to happen

====

The occupation bombs Hezbollah positions in southern Lebanon

The Israeli occupation army said it bombed weapons depots and military buildings for Hezbollah in Hanin, Jabal Hamis and Ayta al-Shaab in southern Lebanon.

He added that he spotted rocket batches fired from Lebanon towards Mount Dov and the lighthouse, and attacked the sources of fire.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31583;&%231577;

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

its both they absolutely hate that tik-tok users are pro-palestine

capital doesn’t care because public opinion doesn’t actually matter to American foreign policy. I would actually expect TikTok’s American owners to bend their ownership towards pushing specific domestic rather than foreign policy outcomes; for example, since one of the biggest investors in the consortium looking to pick it up is a major Trump donor, I’d expect them to (at least at first) amplify pro-Palestine discussion because it divides the Democratic Party but doesn’t really divide the Republican Party as much.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nail Rat posted:

lol just lol

It is because the freaks have started saying what is happening to palestine isn't a genocide when compared to Ukraine and the mods know that is loving insane position to have

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

if that does happen then they’ll obviously censor any pro Palestinian voice after Trump gets back in btw. the goal is to use the issue as a cudgel rather than actually control public opinion - they very obviously don’t give a poo poo about public opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like israel wants this war to happen

====

The occupation bombs Hezbollah positions in southern Lebanon

The Israeli occupation army said it bombed weapons depots and military buildings for Hezbollah in Hanin, Jabal Hamis and Ayta al-Shaab in southern Lebanon.

He added that he spotted rocket batches fired from Lebanon towards Mount Dov and the lighthouse, and attacked the sources of fire.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31583;&%231577;

Real glad Joey sent them the extra bombs and aircraft they need to expand their war and bomb as many people as possible without dipping into their reserves set aside for the butchery of Rafah. If America's meddling during the Cold War led to 9/11, I'm real loving sad to think about what this is going to lead to.