Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Second cave I completed in this, I was all excited to finally get some loot that was just for unlocking a new class or whatever. After killing about 100x goblins the final treasure was a hat, the hat I was already wearing that I got for free upon becoming a Sorc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Double Bill posted:

Maybe I've been spoiled by Elden Ring, but at least the minor dungeons in that game have some variety and end in a boss fight, so you feel like you've accomplished something clearing them. I just stopped exploring caves in this after a while, because they rarely contained anything interesting.

i rarely ever say this, but this is a game that could really benefit from a loot randomizer baseline

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Geomancing posted:

If you roll over into NG+, I've heard it replaces all the seeker tokens you've picked up so far. Does that also reset the reward list for turning them in? I was just wondering if you can get 100+ in one run and then get the rest in the next for the items / the achievement.

You can pick the tokens up again but it tracks how many you had from the first time around. The rewards don't reset though so it's not like you get double of all the rewards.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There are a couple good caves like the one that teaches you to let zombies break through the doors to you to get to the loot and has the explosive barrel throwing puzzle.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sometimes a cave has a ridiculous number of mining nodes. Sometimes a cave has unique fashion gear stashed away in back above a difficult to scale ledge. Sometimes it connects to a shortcut to another area. Sometimes it has a boss fight!

Most of the time it's some goblins and some gold. You don't know until you go exploring.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
The life of an adventurer is challenging and uncertain, arisen

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so the quest Off the pilfered path: I think I softlocked the quest or something, because I went to the gaol, talked to Hugo, and he refused to leave. I bribed the main guard, but he wanted more, so I thought he's gonna keep asking for more and more so I thought gently caress this, stole the key and tried to spring Hugo. Well, he still doesn't escape, but all the guards aggroed. I tried to carry him outside, but he said nothing, so I loaded the game, and all the guards were still dead, but Hugo unresponsive in his cell and the door locked. So that's that quest, I guess.

Now, I read a walkthrough online and it talked about characters I haven't even met - like Brefft. Apparently he's supposed to talk about the Ancient battleground or something, but he didn't for me.

Is this just horribly bugged or did I miss entire steps of the quest?

e: Okay NOW some guy just interrupts me in the street and tells me they have Brefft captured

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 1, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, the money censer you get from the sphinx can "crit".
One hit gave me 50000.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Lol, the money censer you get from the sphinx can "crit".
One hit gave me 50000.

It does seem to be the way to permanently end any money troubles you might have.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dackel posted:

Playing warfarer as "4 skills from a single class" and just having like a staff for traversal is legit. Wear best armour, levels up every single vocation. What's not to like

Wouldn't you only be able to have 3 skills in this case, since one would be Rearmament to change to the staff? Unless you're specifically talking about playing as a Mage/Sorceror, but I assumed not since you just said the staff was "for traversal."

Edit: oh, maybe you're just equipping it in the menu? That would make sense and be a good idea.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2024

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Okay, so the quest Off the pilfered path: I think I softlocked the quest or something

This quest also broke on me. I kinda just let it go, I figure if that’s how they wanna be then it ain’t my job to change their minds!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Wouldn't you only be able to have 3 skills in this case, since one would be Rearmament to change to the staff? Unless you're specifically talking about playing as a Mage/Sorceror, but I assumed not since you just said the staff was "for traversal."

if you just equip a vocation weapon and you have access to its core abilities, you dont need rearmament for that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

you can swap weapons in the equipment menu still, so you can just lug a staff around and then swap to it whenever you need to levitate up somewhere

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've really enjoyed treking through the countryside and mountain paths and just vibing with the world.

I actually kinda like that there isn't insane good loot around every corner and that the world is filled with a bunch of chests that have just the most mundane poo poo it in? The world just feels alive in a different way from a lot of open world games. It feels alive in like a "this feels like I hike I've taken before" sort of way, if that makes sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

you can swap weapons in the equipment menu still, so you can just lug a staff around and then swap to it whenever you need to levitate up somewhere

Yep, just realized that a couple minutes after my post. That's really cool and something I might consider at some point (though for now I like being able to frequently unlock and try out new stuff on classes, while Warfarer seemingly ranks up everything really slowly).

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Do you guys generally prefer a fighter or warrior as a hired pawn? I've now got my pawn up to max level with most vocations and I'm trying to decide between the two.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

doomfunk posted:

almost all I do as warrior is the uppercut and execute. and jog. I don't know why other skills exist

The charge move, Lunge or w/e is a really fun to deal with smaller enemies, you pick up the first one, bowl the rest over and then try to throw as many as possible off a ledge.

My pawn has suddenly been passively aggressively complaining about being a mage, saying she was much more tactically viable back when she was a thief, none of the other vocations have triggered the same type of conversation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TescoBag posted:

Do you guys generally prefer a fighter or warrior as a hired pawn? I've now got my pawn up to max level with most vocations and I'm trying to decide between the two.

generally warrior since they have better stagger and AoE. fighter's cool when you yourself are playing it and can perfect block, but its skills are otherwise very average compared to what everyone else in the game can do

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I've really enjoyed treking through the countryside and mountain paths and just vibing with the world.

I actually kinda like that there isn't insane good loot around every corner and that the world is filled with a bunch of chests that have just the most mundane poo poo it in? The world just feels alive in a different way from a lot of open world games. It feels alive in like a "this feels like I hike I've taken before" sort of way, if that makes sense.

im glad i puzzled out how to concussive blast myself up this cliff for this hard to reach salubrius drought. there's just this weird juxtaposition of making things hard to reach and then also making them worthless, like they want you to explore but also want you to get angry at exploring

(there is simply not a lot of gear in the game which, well, i wish there was more variety, i feel like the clothing slot loss is painful in that regard, i might have to reinstall DDDA and mod it some)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sloober posted:

im glad i puzzled out how to concussive blast myself up this cliff for this hard to reach salubrius drought. there's just this weird juxtaposition of making things hard to reach and then also making them worthless, like they want you to explore but also want you to get angry at exploring

(there is simply not a lot of gear in the game which, well, i wish there was more variety, i feel like the clothing slot loss is painful in that regard, i might have to reinstall DDDA and mod it some)

idk - I don't ever get angry at exploring. For me, the reward for exploring is the act of exploration. Getting a chest at the end is bonus. I don't care what's actually in the chest and 90% of the time I don't actually even pay attention what I'm grabbing from chests. I just like exploring around and opening the chests.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

gear that's got weird effects on it that you can build around is something i desperately want more in third person ARPGs. dark souls 2 is a decade old now and it's still got more cool poo poo like the butterfly wings or engraved gauntlets than either ER or this game has

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TescoBag posted:

Honestly, fighter. Particularly one specced fully for tanking.

Warriors are dime a dozen in the rift, but actual tanks are a bit of a rarity. And as a ranged class, having someone to grab aggro can be really nice.

Edit: Really depends on the build you're running, of course. You don't need a tank if you're playing trickster.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I was playing this all weekend and wasn't checking the forums so here's my funny story from yesterday.

I was taking the cart from Bakbattahl to the checkpoint when we were attacked by some goblins and an ogre. I sighed as I unsheathed my katana spear. My crew made short work of them but hold on, that's the griffin's music! He's taken a steel chair to the cart! So we started fighting the griffin and I was stabbing him in the face when he just decided gently caress this and took off. So now I'm blasting around desert airspace at jet speeds, stamina draining fast, no idea where I'm going, periodically checking the map to just see clear streaks of water cutting through the fog, and then finally my stamina gives out so I brace myself for a reload, because I'm not wasting a wakestone for this crap. But my guy loses his grip and just...stands there, on the griffin's back. His stamina even recharges! So now I'm curious where this will take me, if I'm lucky maybe he'll even drop me off in spitting distance of the checkpoint or at least back in the city. But no, some five-plus minutes later he does a sudden dive-bomb and I go flying off, falling several thousand feet - into the miraculously waiting arms of my pawn who somehow not only survives but also breaks my fall. It's still the dead of night and I have no idea where I am, but the title card informs me we are in the griffin's nest about half a second before he shows up. So we finally finish our fight, I scoop up a ton of treasure from the nest, I'm feeling pretty good about the cool non-scripted adventure I just had and decide we'll just walk to the nearest campsite and go on our way tomorrow...

When up runs the sculptor I had talked to and promised to show a griffin hours ago. He's just chilling by the griffin's nest at 3 AM waiting for me, I guess. He excitedly tells me he found the griffin's nest and now he can watch me fight it to get a good sketch of the thing. I'm thinking "yeah, bad news buddy" as I follow him back up the mountain, when lo and behold there is now a second griffin. Thankfully this one is a good deal less anxious and lets us kill it without taking me on another impromptu sightseeing tour, and afterwards we finally get in visual range of a campsite while crossing a bridge. Some wolves show up and hassle us, and at the brink of a flawless near-instant victory one just snatches up my main pawn and swan dives off the bridge with her. One of my hires chimes in with "An ingenious tactic! I will have to share this with my master!" and really that just kind of summed up the whole thing perfectly.

10/10, no notes.

Addendum: Double-team stabbing a downed monster and then fist-bumping over its corpse never gets old.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 1, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

idk - I don't ever get angry at exploring. For me, the reward for exploring is the act of exploration. Getting a chest at the end is bonus. I don't care what's actually in the chest and 90% of the time I don't actually even pay attention what I'm grabbing from chests. I just like exploring around and opening the chests.

i think my whole thing is it was nice if the reward was sometimes a bit more than a potato, it just rarely is. i think there's maybe like a handful of caves that end with a piece of gear or something

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sloober posted:

i think my whole thing is it was nice if the reward was sometimes a bit more than a potato, it just rarely is. i think there's maybe like a handful of caves that end with a piece of gear or something

I feel like nearly every cave I've gone into has had at least one gear item in it. And then you get some larger caves that have multiple bosses/gear items. But the average cave, from what I've seen, usually gives you at least one gear item - and probably a seeker token. And for me at least, that's enough.

Maybe I'm just easy to please. At this point, I have probably 30 or so hours in the game, I'm level 30 and have only really explored the first third of the map. I just enjoy vibing in the world.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think if more caves were like the one at Ultramarine Waterfall it'd be fine since that's the best one in the game. Big and sprawling with lots of fun twists and turns and two cool bosses hidden away on different levels. I think once I'm done with this playthrough I'll rerun it later with just my main pawn and try all the classes I skipped on this run. Since I only played DD: DA about a month ago I might need a break for awhile first where hopefully it can get patched more in the meantime. This is basically everything I wanted but it's a bit frustrating that a few decisions here and there hold it back a bit.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
When people talk about the point of no return after turning 15 items to a guy, what locks up after it? I still have an entire continent and two vocations to unlock from the looks of it. Should I be finishing all the quests I care to before progressing?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm nearing end game (still some stuff to do, like find a medusa and chop off its head). I'm feeling the same thing I did way back with DD1: It's a cool game, but I want more. More dungeons, more places to go, more puzzles, more monsters, more weird sphinx poo poo. The game ends as it's getting started, I feel. It's too small! I don't need any of the crap happening in town. I'd be fine with one hub town and a big wilderness. That 'set out on an adventure' feeling people say expanded, wildly. Make me ask myself I really want to journey farther. I want a big scary world.

Anywhere here's a cool gif I captured

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Some of these medals, I swear...

Was going crazy looking for it when the radar went off while visiting the vendor in elftown. Take a look up, and what do you know
How do you even get up there?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Was going crazy looking for it when the radar went off while visiting the vendor in elftown. Take a look up, and what do you know

its easy, there's a cliff edge around from near the entrance, basically look left before you go down the ramped entrance to elftown proper. you might need something like thief concussive or mage levitate though. that's not even the worst one, battahl area has some real headscratchers (usually solved with very careful jump/concuss ledge grabbing)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

I don't want to judge but 30k really should not be an issue at that point in the game.

Alright maybe I'll judge a little

Bro it was 300000. I had 60k after I sold some stuff. Idk what I'm doing different but I'm not exactly swimming in cash. Every time I go to the store to think about a cool new item I'm like ehhhh I can only buy one!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Broken Cog posted:

That looks like a render error? There should be a dome on the top of the structure unless it’s a different elf gazebo from the one I’m thinking of.

Edit: oh that’s in the elf village, I thought it was the one in the cave with an ogre nearby. Nevermind!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Some lady offered to sell me a house in battahl and I'm like sure lemme sell some stuff and be right back. Then I come back and realize there's another 0 on that price tag I didn't absorb lol

There's a house near the merchant quarter that's 30k and a house near the palace that's 300k. Maybe you went back and found the wrong lady?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SkeletonHero posted:

There's a house near the merchant quarter that's 30k and a house near the palace that's 300k. Maybe you went back and found the wrong lady?

How much cooler is the 300k house?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Don't know, the cheap one was good enough for me. The cheap one is a literal hole in the wall but it has a storage chest and bed and that's all I care about.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
For some you have to take a really circuitous route to get above it from another angle and then drop down, assuming no one in your party can levitate or shield-launch to get it.

I think the core of this game is still so incredibly strong that I hope it sold well enough to get one if not two expansions. All the classes I tried were incredibly distinct and had interesting playstyles and skills, the gear looks awesome, and like 75% of the exploration in this game feels fantastic because of how arduous it can be. Some of my play sessions where I unintentionally explored and found some cool new environment or character have been better than anything in DD1 or BBI, but I also reached a tipping point where I'm OP and it seems like all that's left are fairly similar caves. Add some setpiece dungeons, add some difficulty settings, and throw in a few more enemy types (or make the rare ones more frequent) and we're all set.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

When people talk about the point of no return after turning 15 items to a guy, what locks up after it? I still have an entire continent and two vocations to unlock from the looks of it. Should I be finishing all the quests I care to before progressing?

I don't know that anything locks up but there's a big scene that happens after you pass through the battahli sealed door. I'm actually not entirely sure what happens if you port out at that point. Actually I haven't seen many people mention it, but I'd say the big giant that you fight was a really cool setpiece, kind of on par with the Sphinx. I was sweating a bit as it was making its way inland, worried I wasn't going to get it down in time because it took me a bit to figure out how to climb it, but I think the game is set up in such a way that it's probably impossible to fail to take it down given all the NPC ballista support you get. In fact I had killed all its weak points and had to just sit on it for a few minutes until it finally fell. I had gone to volanic isle before any of this happened and had done most of the sidequests there though, so I'm not entirely certain how much of them you can accomplish if you get there after this segment, so I'd probably do it beforehand.

e: oh yeah, as a fun aside, when the thing in my spoilers appeared, I had a thief pawn with me that immediately jumped on it as it passed by a cliff, and then it was still in the water and I was worried I was going to have to fight that thing with a pawn down. (Luckily pawns will kind of auto-port to you if they get far enough away which is what happened there, but it would have been really funny for this pawn to have been very heroic and end up brined.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Alright I've double checked and it's actually 112 from the augment. I have two rings because I'm in NG+ and with two rings plus the augment she gets to 974 knockdown power lmao.

Mine went from 652 to 749, a 97 boost. Very respectable for an archer.

And with that I'm officially burned out for a bit, but someone please take her along and give me a trip report

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

SHISHKABOB posted:

pic of me and my three pawns enjoying it

it's not worth it, way less convenient location, though it does have a very cool view with an entire (missing?) wall overlooking the ocean. honestly wonder if it's an EB homage because it struck that chord so dang hard haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clocks posted:

I don't know that anything locks up but there's a big scene that happens after you pass through the battahli sealed door. I'm actually not entirely sure what happens if you port out at that point. Actually I haven't seen many people mention it, but I'd say the big giant that you fight was a really cool setpiece, kind of on par with the Sphinx. I was sweating a bit as it was making its way inland, worried I wasn't going to get it down in time because it took me a bit to figure out how to climb it, but I think the game is set up in such a way that it's probably impossible to fail to take it down given all the NPC ballista support you get. In fact I had killed all its weak points and had to just sit on it for a few minutes until it finally fell. I had gone to volanic isle before any of this happened and had done most of the sidequests there though, so I'm not entirely certain how much of them you can accomplish if you get there after this segment, so I'd probably do it beforehand.

One cool thing about the giant is that a lot of people talk about it elsewhere in the game, but in contexts where I think it's supposed to be treated like a wacky myth.

For example, the fake beggar guy's story is obviously about it, and the old guy in Havre also talks about it.

The fight itself was kind of silly as Magic Archer.