Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

queeb posted:

Looks like this league has the worst retention of any league so far. Sure Easter may effect that but also as if Easter is gonna keep away us Poe nerds.

https://i.redd.it/22qif2iudtrc1.png?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Dang look at those pre 3.15 leagues, some even got more popular. man up to ultimatum was really Poe golden age

I wonder if having a bunch of good arpgs effects this too now. Now if Poe sucks you can just go play LE or D4(ew) or grim dawn

D4 just came out on game pass (incl PC), and definitely a lot of people did Easter poo poo yesterday. If it's still down today, then I'd take it more of a "league is losing people" days point than yesterday.

Not that I did Easter poo poo. Got 2 voidstones and all regular maps done on Atlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Stux posted:

putting higher tier haunted modifiers on larger packs increases the chance of devoted modifiers in following maps.

They specified in the Q&A that this part was only for the campaign, explicitly as an attempt to get people to actually pay attention to the league mechanic while levelling for once.

In maps, harder haunted modifiers only improve corpse and ember drops.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'm enjoying the league mechanic, but this is also only the second league I've really paid attention to. So I'm definitely on the left side of that bell curve meme.

Basically just walking around going "Set detonation charges? Okay, sure! Wait what's this Abyss line, guess I'll follow it. Capture some beasts for Einhar? Cool."

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
To add some discussion:

How should (or could) a game like poe reset player power, game rewards, and the content ‘meta’ without pissing off the playerbase?

QoL improvements havent seemed to work, though some of the Necropolis UI are obvious QoL misses.

I dont see any good way to rip the bandaid off, so to speak.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

wemgo posted:

People are going to HATE poe2 lmao

*after seeing the same opinions guy come out on stage and say the same opinions and show the same type gameplay for 3+ years*: i can't wait for the part directly after the demo ends, where the game is immediately good somehow, instead of like this

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Look at a mechanic like breach. It's just fun even if you don't buff it. I love running around in those purple rings killing dudes. I think that should be the goal of a league mechanic. Forget loot, forget power creep, it should just be fun to engage with. I'm mostly not really into any league mechanic where you have to travel to another area to do it for that reason; mapping is so much fun that I don't want to pause.

The end game is getting so good that it eclipses mediocre league content so overall its quite a good league. I'm doing 100% kirac investment to see if I can 100% the atlas with no duplicate maps ran. I'm on 53/115 so far so good.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

wemgo posted:

To add some discussion:

How should (or could) a game like poe reset player power, game rewards, and the content ‘meta’ without pissing off the playerbase?

QoL improvements havent seemed to work, though some of the Necropolis UI are obvious QoL misses.

It's an ARPG and people are going to be pissed off no matter what, but I do wish they had been more selective in what league mechanics they chose to make core or were more willing to rotate things out. They've gone the route of giving everything to the player and letting them sort it out, but I think an approach along the lines of new league mechanic + a curation of 3 old league mechanics that could be swapped out every league would have gone a long way in keeping the bloat down. It'd take a big upheaval that'd make a lot of people unhappy, but I can't see the game continuing to grow in complexity at the same pace for the next 5 years without the bottom falling out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Look at a mechanic like breach. It's just fun even if you don't buff it. I love running around in those purple rings killing dudes. I think that should be the goal of a league mechanic. Forget loot, forget power creep, it should just be fun to engage with. I'm mostly not really into any league mechanic where you have to travel to another area to do it for that reason; mapping is so much fun that I don't want to pause.

The end game is getting so good that it eclipses mediocre league content so overall its quite a good league. I'm doing 100% kirac investment to see if I can 100% the atlas with no duplicate maps ran. I'm on 53/115 so far so good.

I prefer on map/kill stuff league mechanics like that too, but I think it's healthy for the game to mix it up with crafting leagues sometimes even if they're not as popular. If they just did the same kind of league every time it would be stale, and honestly having leagues people can skip if it isn't for them isn't really something people should get angry about.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

wemgo posted:

To add some discussion:

I think of the QOL improvements in this league as more table stakes. The competition for poe players' attention has, despite overall being probably worse games, solutions to these problems, so GGG has to spend some cycles doing stuff like giving you town portal hotkeys. They're not compensation for the consequences of contentious game design decisions. I think GGG has (rightly or wrongly) decided that they don't like player power increasing for a variety of reasons that anyone that's been playing for multiple years can understand. They're taking regular actions to "reset" player power (I think this is what you mean, atleast, correct me if I'm wrong) and the consequence is that some players want to play less for now.

Not really a response to anyone: I think the calculus GGG is making (based on their manifestos in the past) is that leagues with deflated player power are better for player counts In The Long Run. I don't know if that assumption is true or false (mine or theirs), and I am honestly am fatigued by the expectation that game companies seem to have for players to give crystal clear, calm feedback addressed to the right part of their organization. The simple fact is that the league mechanic is pretty boring (to me), and the only reason (for me) to log in is that I am interested in building out a spectre build while it might be relevant to high endgame content, and that's something GGG has signaled through design decisions that they don't really like anymore. If the league was literally just Harvest But Corpse Juice Instead, I would have already bought the cool turtle hideout because I'd be planning to play for 6 weeks like I did affliction.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
GGG is aware of content bloat. They’ve been more judicious about bringing league mechanics into the core game and are slowly removing legacy league mechanics to make room for replacements.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The new thing where they just chop off a few parts of a league mechanic that work while throwing the majority of it in the trash has the benefit for GGG of convincing players with FOMO that they need to at least try every league so they don't miss the mechanic while it's active too.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

taking the does/does not have attribute requirement corpses out and letting you pick the specific base type would be an immediate improvement

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The new thing where they just chop off a few parts of a league mechanic that work while throwing the majority of it in the trash has the benefit for GGG of convincing players with FOMO that they need to at least try every league so they don't miss the mechanic while it's active too.

Well they definitely missed the mark on this league because "Delve, but it takes 10x longer to gather the materials for maybe 2x the control on the end product except you can't even choose what base you get" isn't much of a sell.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I wish they would rotate out Jun, Einhar, Alva, and Niko. Let's get Tane in there, what's his face from Scourge, and maybe some of the sentinel robots instead.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I would have honestly found last league pretty cool even if wisp juicing wasn't a thing (or heavily reduced in effectiveness). Wildwood ascendancies & That Which Was Taken coming along with transfigured gems being introduced was a huge shakeup.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I didn't even bother with this league. I absolutely expected it to be a detox league because just about any league following Affliction was going to be one, but it just did not sound appealing to me at all. The base game changes and the scarab stuff will be there next time.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

I wish they would rotate out Jun, Einhar, Alva, and Niko. Let's get Tane in there, what's his face from Scourge, and maybe some of the sentinel robots instead.

Bestiary and Incursion you could probably cycle out if you moved a few of their benefits (double corrupts, some of the flask and metamod crafting) to other mechanics. Betrayal would be a bear to do the same to. I'd rather not see news articles about angry gamers with torches and pitchforks outside of GGG's office because they removed Delve from the game.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
re: tention

it was destined to be a bad numbers league, and it is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tane is gone. Right ?

Investing on the tree for necro isnt that bad because they “gave” us 2 free other trees to use

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Metamorph was cruelly stolen from us, yes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Einwand posted:

Metamorph was cruelly stolen from us, yes.

that's weird I didn't see $1.50 credited to my poebux account for the stash tab

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Dukberry posted:

I think of the QOL improvements in this league as more table stakes. The competition for poe players' attention has, despite overall being probably worse games, solutions to these problems, so GGG has to spend some cycles doing stuff like giving you town portal hotkeys. They're not compensation for the consequences of contentious game design decisions. I think GGG has (rightly or wrongly) decided that they don't like player power increasing for a variety of reasons that anyone that's been playing for multiple years can understand. They're taking regular actions to "reset" player power (I think this is what you mean, atleast, correct me if I'm wrong) and the consequence is that some players want to play less for now.

Not really a response to anyone: I think the calculus GGG is making (based on their manifestos in the past) is that leagues with deflated player power are better for player counts In The Long Run. I don't know if that assumption is true or false (mine or theirs), and I am honestly am fatigued by the expectation that game companies seem to have for players to give crystal clear, calm feedback addressed to the right part of their organization. The simple fact is that the league mechanic is pretty boring (to me), and the only reason (for me) to log in is that I am interested in building out a spectre build while it might be relevant to high endgame content, and that's something GGG has signaled through design decisions that they don't really like anymore. If the league was literally just Harvest But Corpse Juice Instead, I would have already bought the cool turtle hideout because I'd be planning to play for 6 weeks like I did affliction.

tbh theyre probably right even if they do it in some completely deranged ways sometimes. feedback is fine but ppl online especially in the last couple of years have trended extremely hard into just doomer complaining about everything in every game nearly on complete reflex and its tiresome. not a poe specific problem tho

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

Tane is gone. Right ?

He's still chilling in my hideout :v:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

hawowanlawow posted:

that's weird I didn't see $1.50 credited to my poebux account for the stash tab

That's because it's now the ultimatum tab.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Ultimatum is more fun than metamorph at least.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

xZAOx posted:

That's because it's now the ultimatum tab.

we'll just see about that

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zizaran's usually pretty positive and generally likes crafting leagues, but even he's saying the league needs to be buffed so it's not just big brain endgame players getting any benefit out of the crafting beyond a few free alchs during the campaign. I guess the problem is finding a way to make it useful for average players without making it insanely broken for those endgame players.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I would prefer to be able to ignore a league mechanic the first week or two while the big brains figure out how to break it/it gets buffed.

Instead I’m forced to interact with this one and throw some atlas points at making it less annoying.

But I’m a weirdo who bounced off of Affliction league after like two weeks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I always thought there should've been an endgame boss in Metamorph you got to through drops from Tane's lab metamorphs. Tane definitely hints at some poo poo That Went hosed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whydirt posted:

I always thought there should've been an endgame boss in Metamorph you got to through drops from Tane's lab metamorphs. Tane definitely hints at some poo poo That Went hosed.

It’s us we’re the metamorph

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Metamorph really just needed some sort of endgame, I enjoyed piecing together freaks to kill, but the lab was just a dead end you threw organs into to generate some extra loot.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I guess it would be massively ripping off Harvest and maybe Metamorph, but I'm really surprised this league doesn't have you reanimating some kind of undead horror(s) when you craft the corpses.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

wemgo posted:

Ultimatum is more fun than metamorph at least.

Mm disagree. At least when I got pasted by a meta monstrosity it just freaks out and skates around my screen. Trialmaster calls me names =(

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I like doing ultimatums because he pauses the game so i can poop mid-map

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Trialmaster is how I discovered I'm a switch

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I guess it would be massively ripping off Harvest and maybe Metamorph, but I'm really surprised this league doesn't have you reanimating some kind of undead horror(s) when you craft the corpses.

Or everyone's favorite league, Archnem

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Archnemesis league was fine. It was what they did with archnemesis rares afterward that was terrible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My only complaint about lancing steel coc dd so far is I wish it reliably targeted behind you. But that is just being greedy I think

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Archnemesis league had a lot of loot customization and big loot explosions. It was honestly one of the better league mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah and the first week was bonkers with the ents recipe that dropped tons of divines. It was fun. Maybe they were exalteds back then