Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
for reference, seawater has a dissolved ion concentration of 35 grams per liter, or 35 parts per thousand. 154,000 chloride parts per million is 154 parts per thousand. the wells are creating marshes of water that's more than four times saltier than seawater

edit: probably acidic as gently caress too

SixteenShells has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mm delicious brine pools, can't get enough of em

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
so we get more brined steaks what's the problem??

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

so we get more brined steaks what's the problem??
maybe the brine kills the flu...?

solving problems with problems

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
excuse me but we have been assured that there will be clean drinking water.

many people are saying this.

in fact,

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

actually it's fine

-exxon

see?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

actually it's fine

-exxon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
drat that's hosed up

Update: my plants are either dying or trying to blossom and in some cases it seems like both. Better remember to pull them back inside before it snows again

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

SixteenShells posted:

for reference, seawater has a dissolved ion concentration of 35 grams per liter, or 35 parts per thousand. 154,000 chloride parts per million is 154 parts per thousand. the wells are creating marshes of water that's more than four times saltier than seawater

lol, assuming sodium chloride that 'water' is a quarter salt

and I bet it's not just sodium

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

actually it's fine

-exxon

i have family in the business and i always love their line of fracking doesn't cause earthquakes, wastewater injection wells cause earthquakes

why do they need the wastewater injection wells, bart? why do they need the wastewater injection wells?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
:bisonyes:

https://apnews.com/article/bird-flu-texas-cows-355f1e288e72df8b81b0e2efd8b3ae2f

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

i have family in the business and i always love their line of fracking doesn't cause earthquakes, wastewater injection wells cause earthquakes

why do they need the wastewater injection wells, bart? why do they need the wastewater injection wells?

it would be fine if the loving hippies would just let them dump all that wastewater in the river

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

really gotta emphasize that the bird flu crossing to cows/mammals was a bad sign

crossing to humans is way worse

next stop? human to human spread

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:smugdon: USA virus

it's not racist

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Unless posted:

really gotta emphasize that the bird flu crossing to cows/mammals was a bad sign

crossing to humans is way worse

next stop? human to human spread

It's just the flu, bro.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the most telltale sign of bird flu in man is that your cough becomes a thundrous honk

long bird flu u get a beak

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well it's been a thing for such a long time, surely we have a humane treatment plan in place for infected animals that we can just copy over for infected human populations

Griz
May 21, 2001

SixteenShells posted:

quote:

Ty Edwards, the manager of the district, shared with Texas Monthly a copy of the report, which found H2S concentrations coming out of the well at 14,428 parts per million. Federal worker protection regulations say that exposure to hydrogen sulfide should not exceed 20 ppm. Low-level exposure can cause eye irritation. Large-scale exposure can cause headaches, convulsions, and comas. Among the report’s other findings were elevated arsenic, radium levels ten times those of federal drinking water standards, and trace amounts of hydrocarbons typically found in oil reservoirs, not freshwater aquifers.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/lake-boehmer-hydrogen-sulfide-railroad-commission/

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
14,428? Phftt, That's only just over 15 times the known lethal concentration.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
More like Lake Bummer

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

extremely strong storms and possible tornados today and apparently its going to snow tomorrow thats kinda metal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's now day 2 of several school districts in the Philippines cancelling classes due to extreme heat

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

it's just el nino it's fine

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

lol lmao

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Getting real confused by this weather. In a single week it's gone from weather so cold you need a heater to weather so hot and muggy you need air conditioning. Usually multiple times throughout a single day. It's 40 degrees warmer than it was a few days ago.

Luckily plants are known for evolving so they should be fine.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 17:13 on Apr 2, 2024

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Getting real confused by this weather. In a single week it's gone from weather so cold you need a heater to weather so hot and muggy you need air conditioning. Usually multiple times throughout a single day. It's 40 degrees warmer than it was a few days ago.

Luckily plants are known for evolving so they should be fine. r

all of my highly invasive plants in my well manicured lawn in a different part of the country are doing fine so I don’t know where this worry comes from. yes I run sprinklers all day long

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"It will probably be a really harsh winter next year because this one was so mild" - My Boss

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
your boss sounds like a real genius

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://www.thecooldown.com/outdoors/grizzly-bear-behavior-changes-habitat-diet-nutrition/

quote:

Researchers raise concerns after observing 'catastrophic' behavior of grizzly bears: 'Dramatic escalation in the numbers of bears dying'
"We have grizzly bears being killed at probably two to three times the rate they were 20 years ago."

Researchers have shed light on changes in behavior that have led grizzly bears closer and closer to human habitats, increasing the likelihood of dangerous interactions.

What's happening?
According to the 2021 documentary "The Beast of Our Time," grizzly bears are expanding their territories to new areas as a result of warming global temperatures, which has allowed the white pine beetle to thrive.

Unfortunately, this tiny insect had a huge impact, leading whitebark pine cone seeds — the primary food source for grizzly bears — to diminish in large numbers. This has caused grizzlies to travel farther for food and forces them to search for alternative sources of nutrition.

As One Green Planet pointed out, grizzly bears haven't just changed their ranges because of this. Their hibernation patterns are altered as well.

Why is this important?
Bear-human interactions have been on the rise — often with devastating results for humans and grizzlies.

In 2019, a mother and her infant in Canada were killed by a malnourished grizzly bear that was on the search for food prior to hibernation, as reported by CBS News. Several years later, per the Washington Post, another grizzly that had previously killed a hiker was euthanized after breaking into someone's house to look for food.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Car Hater posted:

"It will probably be a really harsh winter next year because this one was so mild" - My Boss

Well yeah the climate is like a gambling machine, after it has paid out a mild winter you won't get another one for a while

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Microplastics posted:

Well yeah the climate is like a gambling machine, after it has paid out a mild winter you won't get another one for a while

I have no idea of the origin but this is actually a widespread belief. Growing up I heard this a lot from old people so it seemed like there was this idea the climate saves up winter charges like a videogame and the winter gets stronger the longer nature charges up for it's move. 5 years of mild weather = 5x as bad super winter in year 6. Also a drought just means nature is charging up for super rain. A cool summer means next year will be 10,000 degrees. Some kind of primitive caveman reasoning we do.

Ideas like this will die with the concept of rigid seasonal weather but it will take awhile. We are still in the early days so people are going to keep claiming Winter is Just Resting Up in the same way they can still claim heat killing crops are just freak heatwaves that happen sometimes and next year is Business As Usual.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Apr 2, 2024

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i mean it's just a version of Karma. if something good happens, that means it becomes more likely that bad things will happen, because The Universe Seeks Balance

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

we keep getting these once-in-a-lifetime events because there’s so many more people alive now

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Regression toward the mean is a real thing when the events are drawn from the same distribution. There's a reason climate oscillations exist.

That said though when you've pushed the entire system over the edge into a higher energy state, the old mean isn't a thing anymore.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

we keep getting these once-in-a-lifetime events because there’s so many more people alive now

Lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

Regression toward the mean is a real thing when the events are drawn from the same distribution. There's a reason climate oscillations exist.

That said though when you've pushed the entire system over the edge into a higher energy state, the old mean isn't a thing anymore.

It's also something that's extremely vulnerable to confirmation bias. There will (probably lol) be another harsh winter wherever you live, so the thing you're expecting to happen will eventually happen. You just conveniently forget that the number of mild winters between harsh winters is increasing or that you've shifted your expectations so that now those 2" of snow are pretty harsh.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's also something that's extremely vulnerable to confirmation bias. There will (probably lol) be another harsh winter wherever you live, so the thing you're expecting to happen will eventually happen. You just conveniently forget that the number of mild winters between harsh winters is increasing or that you've shifted your expectations so that now those 2" of snow are pretty harsh.

I used to believe people would be frog-boiled by slow changes until chart decided to sack tap us all and remind us we really don't know poo poo about how the climate system is going to respond to being shot up with the planetary equivalent of speedballs

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

that was quick

also not_that_bad_yet.txt https://thewalrus.ca/seven-truths-climate-crisis/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

quote:

In 2008, I wrote a book called Climate Wars, about the science and the geopolitics of climate change, and for a couple of years afterward, I had a sort of intermittent double vision. In my mind’s eye, I would suddenly see the three-degree-hotter world overlaid on the world that existed at that time. Such afflictions, however, can usually be cured by a judicious combination of outdoor exercise and good wine. But when I immersed myself in that world again more than a decade later, I did notice that some of the scientists I’d met the first time around now seemed a bit more—what’s the word?—distracted. Not actual waking visions, you understand. Just moments lost in thought.

Temperature rises of up to 6°C would still not mean the extinction of the human race throughout its range (pretty much the entire land surface of this planet), but it would drastically shrink the climate niches where humans could survive, implying a die-back in global population of perhaps 90 percent. Hundreds of thousands or even millions of other species would become extinct, but such temperatures and mass extinctions have happened before, and this would not be the end. Our current civilization would be unlikely to survive, and it might become impossible to build another one, but actual human extinction is quite unlikely.

This future is not yet inevitable. A hyper-aggressive worldwide programme of emissions cuts combined with the super-charged development and deployment of CDR techniques capable of extracting vast amounts of CO2 from the air and getting rid of it somehow might make it possible to stay below +2°C even into the 2040s—and by then, like stepping stones to the future, better means for reducing emissions and removing CO2 from the atmosphere might have become available.

If that doesn’t happen, the same goal of staying below +2°C might be achieved quite quickly, even at the next-to-last moment, by reflecting back enough incoming sunlight (aka SRM) to cool the planet’s surface by a degree or two. This could not be a permanent solution, but it might win us a few extra decades to work on reducing emissions and deploying CDR techniques without crossing the tipping points and without suffering extreme warming that would topple global civilization into famine, mass migration, and war.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

It's also something that's extremely vulnerable to confirmation bias. There will (probably lol) be another harsh winter wherever you live, so the thing you're expecting to happen will eventually happen.

this is something we see on these very forums, even

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

This could not be a permanent solution, but it might win us a few extra decades to work on toppling global civilization into famine, mass migration, and war.
fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

TACD posted:

yes, correct