Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Use spoilers for leaks/datamines thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

i've heard talk of a boat level

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Takes on how to fix Lightfall are thoroughly redundant by now but the Into the Light reveal has made me come up with one major change that could have avoided all of the past year's story issues: The destination should have been the Last City instead of Neomuna. Almost nothing else about the story would need to change other than replacing the Cloudstriders with guardians (I've heard it suggested for Zavala/Crow to replace Rohan/Nimbus, which is fine, but any guardians would do.) Even the veil plot could stay largely unchanged, but the mystery about it would actually matter since it hiding beneath the last city and no one knowing about it would make sense, and be a twist on why the Traveler came to Earth and that specific spot in the first place. Fighting Calus and the Witness on Earth, seeing humans and fallen fleeing and hiding, the skybox for the tower showing the city under siege - all would go a long way to making the witness' impact more visceral and defeating them more personal.

Which brings me to the other major change they should have made with Lightfall - update Crucible from guardian training to fighting guardians that are aligned to the Witness. Instead of Red/Blue teams they are literally dark/light (player character team always light). Literally some new Shaxx voicelines and UI changes and the story impact is now felt across the entire game. Once we kill the Witness in the raid Crucible goes back to normal.

It really is mindboggling how misconceived Lightfall's story was even at the most basic level.

Aqua Dracula fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 1, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

JackGeneric posted:

haunted milk tornado.

powerful thread title contender

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Um I think you forgot the time where it flicked a finger and breadsliced an NPC who we only knew about from Trials lore tabs.

i did not, i just think a 5 second scene in the middle of an entire trailer is nowhere near enough

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

i've heard talk of a good level
Big if true

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kith posted:

i did not, i just think a 5 second scene in the middle of an entire trailer is nowhere near enough

It happens almost exactly like that in the final Lightfall intro cutscene too

Our guardian is actually in the area to witness (heh) it but this isn't highlighted

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have no doubt it would have been impossible to do with their engine, but how hosed up would it be to be talking to someone in-mission and then they float apart like that.

And then you see the smoke.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Aqua Dracula posted:

Takes on how to fix Lightfall are thoroughly redundant by now but the Into the Light reveal has made me come up with one major change that could have avoided all of the past year's story issues: The destination should have been the Last City instead of Neomuna. Almost nothing else about the story would need to change other than replacing the Cloudstriders with guardians (I've heard it suggested for Zavala/Crow to replace Rohan/Nimbus, which is fine, but any guardians would do.) Even the veil plot could stay largely unchanged, but the mystery about it would actually matter since it hiding beneath the last city and no one knowing about it would make sense, and be a twist on why the Traveler came to Earth and that specific spot in the first place. Fighting Calus and the Witness on Earth, seeing humans and fallen fleeing and hiding, the skybox for the tower showing the city under siege - all would go a long way to making the witness' impact more visceral and defeating them more personal.

Which brings me to the other major change they should have made with Lightfall - update Crucible from guardian training to fighting guardians that are aligned to the Witness. Instead of Red/Blue teams they are literally dark/light (player character team always light). Literally some new Shaxx voicelines and UI changes and the story impact is now felt across the entire game. Once we kill the Witness in the raid Crucible goes back to normal.

It really is mindboggling how misconceived Lightfall's story was even at the most basic level.

Holy poo poo this fixes all of Lightfall's problems

I wonder if the only reason they didn't do this is because it would lock them into the last city being a war zone for 2-3 years

this makes so much more sense than what they did

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Destiny is T for Teen, they can't have human enemies or have human NPCs in combat areas. This is part of why the Neomuna people were uploaded to the cloud for the day we were there

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

EVGA Longoria posted:

They denied that Strand was supposed to be part of Lightfall and extracted out into a new expansion. The "green" and "weaver" connections with Savathun caused a lot of people to assume that while looking for an explanation for why Lightfall turned out like it did.

Is there a similar rumor yet that skimmers were supposed to launch with lightfall? Because there should be

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i mean, it would make sense. one of the biggest things about the cloudstriders is that they get cool surfboards

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Destiny is T for Teen, they can't have human enemies or have human NPCs in combat areas. This is part of why the Neomuna people were uploaded to the cloud for the day we were there

Not doubting the truth of this but do you have any quotes about this? I would like to see it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Aqua Dracula posted:

Not doubting the truth of this but do you have any quotes about this? I would like to see it.

Basically there are three kinds of violence in the world of ESRB

Fantasy Violence (allowed in E for Everyone)

Violence (allowed in T for Teen)

Intense Violence (allowed in M for Mature)

Destiny went through an ESRB cert most recently in late 2020 and was permitted 'Violence'

The big thing that upgrades from Violence to Intense Violence is when it involves humans.

I think part of why the Crucible death animations are so tame/lame is they need them to qualify under Fantasy or regular Violence

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Destiny 2's ESRB rating also has an oddly specific disclaimer that "the word rear end in a top hat is heard in the dialogue" which appears to be an unused game file that didn't make it in to the Red War campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buz_3kdY9yM

What could have been :negative:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is some extremely lukewarm coffee

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Violence with humans doesn’t instantly make a game M Rated.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, I guess I'm just never getting Undercurrent.

Legend run: No drop.
Master run: No drop.
2nd Master run: Both teammates quit at the boss.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MJeff posted:

Well, I guess I'm just never getting Undercurrent.

Legend run: No drop.
Master run: No drop.
2nd Master run: Both teammates quit at the boss.

It’s literally easier to do a GM for the guaranteed adept, which you can then focus for with doodads that also drop from the platinum Coil magic chest room.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PERMACAV 50 posted:

It’s literally easier to do a GM for the guaranteed adept, which you can then focus for with doodads that also drop from the platinum Coil magic chest room.

I can't stand the GM for this one. It's so easy to just get deleted by the never ending Void Shield Snipers or the Void Grenades. Not that it's any easier to deal with them on Master or Legend, but at least you don't get knocked back to orbit for it.

Also I don't really want the Adept, I just want the regular one for my collections so I can focus it without having to get Ciphers 2 at a time from 45 minute Coil runs.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've done the GM and have plenty of the adept version, but I wanted just one regular version for my collections. Master mode is harder than the GM. It has the attrition modifier, which is a huge pain in the rear end, and stuff will repeatedly respawn during the protect ghost segment. I did one run, beat it, and my reward was 5 legendary armors with stats in the 50s. So I decided to farm the lower difficulty mode, I was able to finish runs in under ten minutes, but still couldn't get anything. At least I have a ridiculous number of Vanguard rank resets now.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I had prism harvest on and ran about 8 master NFs with no regular drop, then switched it to prosperity and got it first time. Anecdotal...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitch.tv/bungie

Last ITL stream starts in about 10 minutes, get those emblems!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whisper and Zero Hour are back.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like Whisper is going to have some changes - they were joking that everyone's guides will need to be updates. They ran through the first section and nothing really looked different, but alluded to chests being in different places and the boss being different.

Something the glossed over / I didn't fully catch, but they made it sound like there'd be a special (new) way to access the whisper involving Eris? I assumed it was just going to go into the rotator, but I guess it will be special.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

craftable whisper and outbreak. whoda thunk it

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Played my first dungeon that I actually had to figure out the mechanics myself. Warlords Ruin. We ended up having to leave at the end not quite getting it but I figured out the first 2 encounters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
outbreak even more perfected

Also shown: crucible maps on europa, neomuna, and the travelerified pyramid ship. Look neat I guess

e: There will be a fourth preview livestream next week just before Into the Light goes live, showing TFS gameplay and giving a third emblem through twitch drops

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 2, 2024

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
:siren: 1x namechange token and the ability to Fix Your Face on April 9

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
I just burned through a ridiculous amount of Iron Banner tokens and credits to get a decent roll on the new Strand wave frame grenade launcher, and I regret absolutely nothing. Extremely recommended, especially when Chain Reaction starts interacting with the seasonal mods.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How do you get the new wave frame, just play matches until one drops? I don't see it on the track.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MJeff posted:

How do you get the new wave frame, just play matches until one drops? I don't see it on the track.

There wasn't a reset with the new weapons, so yeah you just need it to drop (slash I think doing the random decode can drop them? But not 100% on that)

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

There wasn't a reset with the new weapons, so yeah you just need it to drop (slash I think doing the random decode can drop them? But not 100% on that)

I was able to get one to drop after a few random decodes. Playing through the challenges this week and saving your engrams until after you've unlocked it is probably a better way to go, though.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I got an envious/hatch one from decoding engrams and it's pretty fun to use

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's mildly cringe that since wave frames can't get precision kills, it requires three kills to spawn a Hatchling but yeah Slice/Hatch and Envious/Hatch are the ones I want.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am going for Envious/Hatchling too, especially since with Cyrtarachne's you get Woven Mail, which procs the fragment that Strand weapons make tanngles, which like to explode, which means if I can nail three red bars I get dead red bars, a hatchling and a Tangle which I can then make go boom. And if it's a bigger crowd of red bars I might get even more Threadlings.

Also IB throws so much loot at you even when losing that it never feels like a chore or you're being punished imo. You have your PvP meta loadout sweats of course, but they're mixed in with people running the dumbest meme weapons, including blue ones and that rules lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Would the 'prosperity' ghost mod that gives you a chance of an extra legendary in ritual activities not help, or does that not count for Iron Banner?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Aw, New Multimach can't roll Hipfire Grip. Rats. Guess I'm not Iron Bannering this season.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Would the 'prosperity' ghost mod that gives you a chance of an extra legendary in ritual activities not help, or does that not count for Iron Banner?

Anecdotal but it seems to help. Altho in all activities it seems to reward world loot, not activity specific. From my own experience, at least.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Zero Hour is probably my favorite piece of destiny content ever. It's good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When I think of Destiny the first things I think of are Zero Hour and Whisper. Those really exemplify what the game is to me and are what finally got me to click with the game.