Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
abolitionist except for her specifically

e: Moses is said to have died at 120 years old

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

I dunno about you guys but ive never had a twitter meltdown feature as the top story on the bbc news.

I like when I go to the bbc.co.uk site and for 2 seconds it shows all the insane stupid bullshit headlines before I get redirected to bbc.com which shows actual news

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

I like when I go to the bbc.co.uk site and for 2 seconds it shows all the insane stupid bullshit headlines before I get redirected to bbc.com which shows actual news

lol I hate that as it catches me off guard most of the time.
Don't think any other site does it, or they probably have better website coding to do it before they show you the page.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

My address bar autocompletes to "guardian.co.uk" which they now redirect to "theguardian.com"

"We're an international news organisation, not some backwater national rag"
[Australian office yells at them for being transphobes]
"No not like that"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is my chair:

https://furnitureonline.co.uk/search?type=product&q=FUR-RCH-LN-ALTH-GRY

It doesn't swivel. But I have all the legs in muffin pans to make it easier to move around. (I also have muffin pans under the legs of a heavy trestle table which weighs over 20kg to make moving around easier. Castor cups were a total fail in both cases.)

It can pull out (manually) to make a somewhat more horizontal (but not completely flat!) position. I haven't done that because I kept the footstool from my previous chair which did swivel but then the wooden legs - those sort of 5 pointed star types - started to split and wooden legs to replace couldn't be found.

It's the most comfortable chair I have ever owned especially considering I probably spend about 15 hours a day in it most days & balance my laptop on a tray on my lap!
And I don't even need to put a cushion on it to support my back in the lumbar region!

It cost me £214.98 including delivery just over 2 years ago.

ED: I've never had much luck with those more office type chairs with a spoke of legs as plastic legs often break. Though I've had very good service from one which I got for £10 from a charity shop with metal legs though I can't tip backwards in it anymore.

this 100% lines up with your posting vibe which i do not mean in a denigrating fashion

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Agile has failed & Scrum Masters are being laid off.

Is this the end of Bullshit Bingo?

From experience - no, all that tends to happen is the agile people disappear for a couple months, eventually an exec goes "maybe we just didn't do it right" and hires an agile consultant for a while for an outrageous amount, they come in and the productivity disturbance workcycle begins anew.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mate it's still top 3 on the news site too

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My office chair cost around £30 from Argos about 8 years ago. The padding on the seat started to get a bit flat during lockdown so I bought a foam cushion off Amazon for a tenner.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hey, just checked this and it does the opposite for me! Every time I try to go to BBC.com, it snatches me away to BBC.co.uk! What if I WANT the .com site?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hey, just checked this and it does the opposite for me! Every time I try to go to BBC.com, it snatches me away to BBC.co.uk! What if I WANT the .com site?

Mine does what yours does.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Agile is fine, explicitly going for a methodology and trying to fit what your business does to that methodology isn’t. The main thing to get to it is a way to optimise delivery and quality and being nimble in the face of unexpected obstacles.

Business agility is never really seen as a component of the whole agile side of things with them not wanting to change especially with larger companies - this is where things usually fully gently caress up.

The big problem with any agile project is it not being business led and not having enough time for the business to pop along, poke things, talk about what they want. Security is usually seen as an obstacle as well with pesky laws as well and that can cause people doing agile to break.

Anyway, whatever people want to suggest as a way to do things prescribed as the amazing fix by a business consultant unless people want to change they won’t. This is why we need to be pushing therapists to CMOs.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yep, absolutely, couldn't agree more

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
what's wrong with good proper british project management techniques like PRINCE2, don't need this "agile"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Starbucks posted:

Business agility is never really seen as a component of the whole agile side of things with them not wanting to change especially with larger companies - this is where things usually fully gently caress up.

Yes, as a former Six Sigma Black Belt (a considerable number of moons ago), the higher ups have their 'gut feels'. So we show them with data that their guts are wrong (politely worded) and the data shows where the problem lies - somewhere completely different - they don't like that so they ignore it, and continue to pound on the heads of front line operational staff who are in no position to improve matters, because guess what, some SPENDING is needed on infrastructure improvement.

I just got that "This thread has a long post timeout. At {time} you will be able to post again in slow threads in this forum." message! Never seen that before!

I think I had the Agility Badge when I was a Girl Guide.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
yeah can we get the timeout removed pls?

it's seriously impeding my shitposting here :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bozza posted:

what's wrong with good proper british project management techniques like PRINCE2, don't need this "agile"
He went off to America to be raceist against are kate :mad:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/01/ministers-face-tory-revolt-over-plans-to-criminalise-rough-sleeping

quote:

Ministers face Tory revolt over plans to criminalise rough sleeping

Ministers are facing a revolt from their own MPs over plans to criminalise homelessness in upcoming legislation.

Under proposals that form part of the UK government’s flagship crime bill, police in England and Wales are to be given powers to fine or move on rough sleepers deemed to be causing a “nuisance”.

The move has infuriated many Conservative MPs, about 40 of whom have warned whips they will vote against the measures, the Times reported.

Bob Blackman, the Tory MP who is coordinating the rebellion, told the paper: “A lot of colleagues believe that the bill as it stands is completely unacceptable because it would have the effect of criminalising people who have no choice but to sleep on the streets. We are urging ministers to think again.”

On Monday, Kevin Hollinrake, a business minister, refused to say whether he supported the plans.

“I believe that those things are not within my auspices,” he told Times Radio. “I’ll be interested to see the legislation as it goes through. And what the prime minister has planned.”

The proposals form part of the criminal justice bill, which is going through the House of Commons and is due to become law before the general election.

They were announced by the former home secretary Suella Braverman and would give police and local authorities powers to act against “nuisance rough sleeping” in England and Wales. Rough sleepers could be moved on, fined up to £2,500 or imprisoned...

There's a much simpler solution, and that's to provide homeless people with a home, but I guess there's no performative cruelty with that option.

I guess I'd better read up and find out what else is in this crime bill....

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
homeless person I am fining you 2.5k, please provide me with an address

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Exactly the same for me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

be abroad (do not tell the harry potter lady)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Have you tried not being in the UK?

serious gaylord posted:

Mate it's still top 3 on the news site too

Sounds like you're in the UK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Have you tried not being in the UK?

Sounds like you're in the UK

UK immigration office posting hours.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

fuctifino posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/01/ministers-face-tory-revolt-over-plans-to-criminalise-rough-sleeping

There's a much simpler solution, and that's to provide homeless people with a home, but I guess there's no performative cruelty with that option.

The UK has privately run prisons, so there's your answer, someone has shares in something and they need more prisoners.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could run housing the same way, it's much cheaper to run a place that feeds and houses you but you don't need to keep people from leaving than one where you do.

There'd be a lot of problems with that, but nowhere near as many than with bringing back vagrancy laws.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1774912680173650390

a British national has been killed in Gaza while working for the World Kitchen aid agency in Deir el Balah when a vehicle was bombed by the IDF

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%88%D8%B3%D8%B7

e: for ticker translation

Aljazeera posted:

الإعلام الحكومي بغزة: الاحتلال اغتال فريقا أجنبيا

قال مكتب الإعلام الحكومي بغزة إن الاحتلال الإسرائيلي اغتال فريقا إغاثيا مكونا من بريطاني وبولندي وأسترالي وآخر مجهول الهوية، مشيرا إلى أن الغارة الإسرائيلية على الفريق الأجنبي بدير
البلح أسفرت عن استشهاد

Gaza government media: Israeli occupation assassinated a foreign team

The Israeli occupation assassinated a relief team consisting of a British, a Polish, an Australian and an unidentified person, the Gaza Government Information Office said, adding that the Israeli raid on the foreign team in Deir al-Balah resulted in the martyrdom of their Palestinian driver.

kecske fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 1, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

now they'll need to take this seriously

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well, I'd like to see ol' Plucky Israel wriggle its way out of THIS jam!

*Israel wriggles its way out of the jam easily*

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Microplastics posted:

Well, I'd like to see ol' Plucky Israel wriggle its way out of THIS jam!

*Israel wriggles its way out of the jam easily*

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,
turns out no one cares :(

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
again jk rowling and the media coverage of her is just depressing. like, you don't have to be a full-blown brick-throwing trans activist to see her twitter thread's a load of poo poo, right? here are four trans people who have committed actual crimes, one of whom isn't even from scotland i guess she thought three wasn't enough. also here are six other trans women i've had spats with on twitter that i'm totally not implying are basically the same, no siree. i'm just asking questions. like, it can't be a wild and radical position to say this person is in fact rather transphobic? im in tiny train world

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Angepain posted:

again jk rowling and the media coverage of her is just depressing. like, you don't have to be a full-blown brick-throwing trans activist to see her twitter thread's a load of poo poo, right? here are four trans people who have committed actual crimes, one of whom isn't even from scotland i guess she thought three wasn't enough. also here are six other trans women i've had spats with on twitter that i'm totally not implying are basically the same, no siree. i'm just asking questions. like, it can't be a wild and radical position to say this person is in fact rather transphobic? im in tiny train world

i dunno what the media coverage is like. But she is quite clearly full glinner unhinged. Maybe worse. If someone on the alleged left pulled up 4 cases of an asylum seeker or something doing a bad thing and was like well... and then listed some other asylum seekers? how would that go?

The new law is rubbish but they should send her to prison anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

If people actually listened to half the poo poo public figures say they'd probably think they were dogshit people but unfortunately plenty of people get to hide behind media presentation and refusal to outright call them a piece of poo poo, as well as the unwillingness of a lot of people to think that people they are predisposed to like for some reason are actually pieces of poo poo.

The people in power aren't going to acknowledge that she's a turd in a human skin suit because she's "a british cultural icon" or whatever even if they didn't agree with her, and a shitload of other people just won't conscience the idea that the author of the media franchise they're excessively attached to might be a monumental twat.

Like yeah if you're a normal person you'd think she was a raving shithead but unfortunately there's consistently a refusal to acknowledge normal observable reality in the media because it's not an obligate reflection of reality, it's a fabrication loosely based on reality but filtered through whatever lens is useful to the established power structure.

They're also just... extremely unwilling to make value judgements in a lot of cases if they think doing so is going to alienate some section of the audience. Like they're not gonna say the IDF are a bunch of murderous bastards hellbent on killing everyone they see, they're not gonna say the tories have been in power for 14 years and everything's gotten worse in every way and their approach to government has failed everywhere it's been tried, and they're not gonna say that JKR is clearly a deranged bigot who spends all her time screaming at people on twitter to try and feel like she's doing something important with her life rather than just rotting in her castle with infinite money.

There's just a bunch of stuff the media just won't say despite it being blindingly obvious. And yeah it's really annoying sometimes, it can feel like you're crackers for seeing it when the supposed guardians of truth and factuality refuse to acknowledge it. But it's them, not you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

crispix posted:

yeah can we get the timeout removed pls?

it's seriously impeding my shitposting here :mad:

I meant to run it for a shorter time (just long enough to notice) as a lame April Fools thing and then forgot to pull it, sorry

Got it a bit ago

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I get the concept that some chairs are nicer than others but I'm struggling to see how a £1000 office chair can (presumably) be 10 times nicer than a £100 office chair. We've had chair technology for millennia, what does the posh chair 'do' that makes it worth £1000?

I realise this has already been talked about a fair bit, but anyway...

Two things mainly:

Expensive chairs have way more adjustments than cheaper ones.
They are (generally speaking), built to last.

If you spend a lot of time in your chair (8+ hours a day) you can really benefit from getting a better chair. In particular you can look for a "24 hour chair" which just means they're designed to be comfortable enough to sit in for 24 hours at a time - which is mostly achieved by having lots of adjustments you can make to them.

I've had a Humanscale Freedom chair with headrest for the last ~10 years that I got from 2ndhnd.com for £150, back when it still existed.

https://ca.humanscale.com/products/seating/freedom-task-office-chair

If I couldn't find another used one for cheap and this one broke, I would pay £1000 for a new one. Compared to a ~£200 (new) one it is significantly more comfortable. The way the tilt works (leaning back) is unique - the back tilts separately from the seat but also it causes the seat to move a tiny bit, and the headrest to effectively move forward and tilt your head up so you can stay looking at your screen. There are animations/vids on the humanscale website I posted above if you want to know what I'm talking about - about halfway down the page, where it says "Dynamic headrest". The tilt function works simply by leaning back into the chair. I spend a good deal of my time in the chair leaning back at about a 35° angle since it's really comfortable in that position and gives good back support.

The padding is better quality than a cheapo chair. I can adjust the back height, seat depth, arm rests up/down, seat height, headrest height and tilt tension. Because I'm able to adjust all that stuff, I have it dialed in to fit me pretty much exactly. It took a couple of weeks of making small adjustments to get there but now it's right for me I don't have to mess with it.

Since I got it, my back/shoulder/neck pain issues from prolonged computer use have basically disappeared.

I cannot recommend this chair enough. We got them for 6 people in the office I used to work in, and not one person disliked them.

I just checked on Reyooz and they currently have ~70 in-stock of the non-headrest version for £125, which is an absolute steal. I checked for delivery and IDK how much it varies by where you are in the country but it was gonna be £20 to near where I used to live in Milton Keynes. Plus they have a discount of 20% off for your first order on, so it would work out to like £136 or something as the total delivered price:

https://www.reyooz.com/products/humanscale-freedom-office-chair-with-coat-hanger-37564

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

quote:

Rough sleepers could be moved on, fined up to £2,500 or imprisoned...

So the three solutions are: imprison people, despite there being an historically high prison population and historically low space for them, fine people, despite the fact that being homeless tends to mean you don’t have very much money to pay fines, or move people on, which just shifts the “problem” from one location to another, with the added frisson of depriving someone of what little sleep they might have been able to grab.

I know the cruelty is the point, but loving hell

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That's tempting, but I also like headrests...

I wonder how much of a difference it makes.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Goons sit down way too much, drat

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah lie down instead like us real slobs :mad:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just imagined typing an email while lying down and my carpals started throbbing

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I want to get a standing desk/walking treadmill set up like Linus Torvolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Scientastic posted:

So the three solutions are: imprison people, despite there being an historically high prison population and historically low space for them, fine people, despite the fact that being homeless tends to mean you don’t have very much money to pay fines, or move people on, which just shifts the “problem” from one location to another, with the added frisson of depriving someone of what little sleep they might have been able to grab.

I know the cruelty is the point, but loving hell

I’m sure people in this thread have read Orwell’s “Down and Out in London and Paris” which explains in revolting detail how the homeless and poor were treated in this country around this time last century. This is simply a return to good old pre WW2 British values

Edit : The other big takeaway is that if you were poor in Paris you just got pissed on fairly decent red wine, whereas in England the best you could hope for was a cup of weak tea and some toast

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 2, 2024