Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ethanol posted:

I’m looking at getting a new coffee maker. Was thinking something simple. Any recommendations

Nothing beats the ease and passione of a Bialetti moka pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

lol how are people spending money on drip coffee devices?

Are they charging for gravity where you are?

yeah idk about paid gravity but I've always understood it as they're paying for "pour this much water in, grind this much coffee, set up filter basket and carafe, press button" so the coffee can be made while one is then free to do other things in their own life. Never really questioned it beyond that though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
what the hell is a certified coffee maker? i just use the thing that the guy who made a cool frisbee invented. it's like 20 bucks or something. #forzaaeropress

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
That cofee made in hot sand is cool as gently caress

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

what the hell is a certified coffee maker? i just use the thing that the guy who made a cool frisbee invented. it's like 20 bucks or something. #forzaaeropress

I think they might legitamteyl have hit their head on rocks to pay so high for a cup of a coffee. thinking about getting the cuisinart one for 50 bux

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ilmucche posted:

As much as I hate red bull it probably is the best place for him to have a competitive car

Pretty much. Merc could be an option but I doubt they'll have a race-winning car next year, plus they seem to just want someone to keep the seat warm for Antonelli.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Bottas is a certified coffee maker op

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Zeta Acosta posted:

That cofee made in hot sand is cool as gently caress

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i think its mostly about ensuring its delivering the correct water temp which is ~190 F

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ethanol posted:

which drip one at Best Buy should I get op im an American

Any $30 piece of poo poo from whatever the American equivalent of London Drugs is will do you fine. Don’t worry about a grinder and just buy the jumbo tub of Nescafé pre-ground.

Your HFCS saturated tastebuds won’t know the difference anyways.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that's the first hing anybody saidthat's made sense

also how do you make iced coffee?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SocksAndSandals posted:

Bottas is a certified coffee maker op

he's an aeropress man.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ilmucche posted:

Disappointed that drip coffee isn't really a thing here
Can't believe I'm gonna engage in the coffeeposting but alas.
I had to look this up / make sure I wasn't reading this wrong; cause isn't that like 95% of all at-home coffee makers that aren't some posh bean grinding one?

They all look vaguely like this thing:

You put the water in the reservoir, toss in a filter and some ground up coffee and press the button. Just a basic coffee maker.
What the gently caress are they using where you live? Just a kettle and a pot of instant coffee?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1774838938718392362

Las Vegas has released a 40-page report breaking down the economic impact of last year's Formula 1 race.

Here are the highlights:

• The total economic impact has been measured at $1.5 billion, including visitor spending of $884 million.

• The race generated $77 million in tax revenue — more than any other event in Las Vegas history.

• F1 spent $88 million on public infrastructure improvements (not including land acquisition, etc.).

• Race visitors spent 3.6x more than the typical Las Vegas traveler, staying 4.1 nights and spending over $4,100 on average.

• Local workers earned $52 million in wages

• The event created 7,300 jobs, including 2,200 for race-related construction projects and 5,100 for event operations.

• The Las Vegas Airport was the second busiest airport in the country the day after the race, with 2,200 operations.

Clark County says it was the largest sporting event, with the largest global audience, in Las Vegas history.

Safe to say F1 will be back for the foreseeable future!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Zedd posted:

I had to look this up / make sure I wasn't reading this wrong; cause isn't that like 95% of all at-home coffee makers that aren't some posh bean grinding one?

You put the water in the reservoir, toss in a filter and some ground up coffee and press the button. Just a basic coffee maker.
What the gently caress are they using where you live? Just a kettle and a pot of instant coffee?

they claim this burns the coffee or some poo poo . I think they try to drink it after its been on the burner for 6 hours

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zedd posted:

Dutch garbage

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ethanol posted:

they claim this burns the coffee or some poo poo . I think they try to drink it after its been on the burner for 6 hours

Insulated carafe is the way to go.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

vegas stuff

build a nordschliefe in the desert cowards

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

ethanol posted:

also how do you make iced coffee?

You basically want to make a coffee concentrate.

Quick and dirty way is 8 quarts of water + 1 pound of grounds in whatever big rear end container you've got. Let it sit at room temp overnight / at least 10 hours. Strain out the grounds (cheesecloth works best) and stick the coffee in the fridge. Now you've got your coffee concentrate. Pour it over some ice and add your usual cream / sugar / whatever.

Or just buy the Starbucks stuff in a bottle.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Coffee sucks

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Gerblederp posted:

Coffee sucks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zedd posted:

No, I mean culturally drip coffee isn't really that common over here. Pretty much everything is espresso

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

don't talk to me until i've had my coffee!! LOL :v:

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

net work error posted:

Nothing beats the ease and passione of a Bialetti moka pot

I bought a Bialetti moka pot at Christmas, and about a month later Sir Lewis was confirmed for Ferrari in 2025.

Not sure if that's relevant to your decision-making, but apparently I'm somewhat of a trendsetter. :smuggo:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My coffee setup is probably the highest price/performance one you can have at home:

Baratza Maestro Plus (ie, the old Encore) that I bought refurbished in 2008, Aeropress, Bonavita Drip machine, and a Moka pot for when I want more passione.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

My coffee setup is probably the highest price/performance one you can have at home:

Baratza Maestro Plus (ie, the old Encore) that I bought refurbished in 2008, Aeropress, Bonavita Drip machine, and a Moka pot for when I want more passione.

I have all of this plus a pour over

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It’s too bad they demolished the mob-built Vegas track.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Frond posted:

It’s too bad they demolished the mob-built Vegas track.

Wasn't it just a parking lot? it sounded like poo poo.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

i drink tea

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Elendil004 posted:

Perhaps the mob built all the formula e tracks

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wicka posted:

I have all of this plus a pour over

Oh gently caress, forgot the vintage Chemex my wife bought me.

:smug:

Of course, I keep looking at espresso machines/grinders because I'm an idiot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

no frond is talking about the old Las Vegas Park Speedway from the 50s, which was a combination horse racing and auto racing track who's owner came to Vegas from NYC, got indicted for embezzlement and then mysteriously died in a hotel room before he could stand trial.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Sky sending another skeleton crew to Japan this weekend?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im too stupid can someone tell me what day/time the race starts for someone in croatia

e: i think it's 7 am sunday.......

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
someone should build a racetrack on a literal land fill

they have cool undulating terrain and are already toxic waste sites, so F1 won't make it any worse

also, they're typically close to major cities and have good infrastructure to get vehicles in and out

win win win

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

someone should build a racetrack on a literal land fill

they have cool undulating terrain and are already toxic waste sites, so F1 won't make it any worse

also, they're typically close to major cities and have good infrastructure to get vehicles in and out

win win win

They should just use the st pete indycar route and line it up between gasparilla and the Indy GP because the world needs more misery, not less

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh gently caress, forgot the vintage Chemex my wife bought me.

:smug:

Of course, I keep looking at espresso machines/grinders because I'm an idiot.
the quality you get from a manual grinder can match the cost of an electric one for 1/10 the price

they're really not hard to turn, either.

i bought this one a year ago and it's great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0833SDN8M you can probably find it on aliexpress even cheaper

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Elendil004 posted:

No that’s Caesar’s Palace;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_International_Raceway

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the quality you get from a manual grinder can match the cost of an electric one for 1/10 the price

they're really not hard to turn, either.

i bought this one a year ago and it's great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0833SDN8M you can probably find it on aliexpress even cheaper

I have the timemore grinder and it’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im sorry. you are suggesting I.. manually grind my coffee. like a caveman??