Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My (33M) Girlfriend (31F) of 3 years just left for work angry cause I’m watching Seinfeld?

quote:

tl;dr Girlfriend has severe jealousy issues and stormed off to work over me watching Seinfeld and says I should’ve been considerate enough to not watch it til she was gone. This is childish right?

My mind is literally blown.. so we had a great morning having sex and laughing and as she’s about to head off to work I threw on an episode of Seinfeld (the non fat yogurt episode for those who watch) and she just left and wouldn’t respond to me saying bye.

I texted her asking what the problem was and she responded with this:

“Yea I feel like you could’ve waited until I left to turn that poo poo on. You know exactly how I feel about that show and you couldn’t just wait until I left to turn it on? Not sure why you’d want me to have to be thinking about you watching that while I’m gone but whatever. I’m not letting it ruin my mood.”

Am I crazy or is this girl crazy??? She’s had an issue with this show before cause she thinks it’s all about sex and thinks that’s why I watch it. I mean imagine getting off to Seinfeld of all shows it’s almost laughable. I’ve been watching this show for 20+ years and love it.

This cant be a justified reaction on her part is it? I feel like this is exceptionally childish behaviour for our age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

My (33M) Girlfriend (31F) of 3 years just left for work angry cause I’m watching Seinfeld?
That was confusing because I read the title, and then when I read "I should’ve been considerate enough to not watch it til she was gone" I thought "oh, I guess I misunderstood and she's mad because she also likes seinfeld and wanted to watch it together?" but then read to the end and apparently the way I initially interpreted it was correct

Either way lol

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for dumping my Gf after she expected me to pay for EVRYONE on her birthday.

quote:

I 24M and my GF 24F, have been dating for four years.

On my girlfriend's 24th birthday two weeks ago, I booked a table at a pretty nice restaurant for me, her, and four of her friends.

I want to clarify beforehand that I earn quite a bit more than my girlfriend. I cover all the rent and utilities for our apartment, while she covers household expenses like groceries and such.

While at the restaurant, I noticed how she and all her friends ordered some of the most expensive items on the menu. At the time, I thought I would only be covering mine and my girlfriend's bill, so I wasn't really concerned.

When the bill arrived and the waiter asked if I would like to split the bill, I said yes. I told the waiter that what my girlfriend and I ordered would be on me, and the rest should be decided between her friends. The bill totaled around 1100 Euros.

I remember the smiles being wiped off their faces as soon as I said that. I ended up paying for my girlfriend's and my food, while her friends paid for theirs.

I remember the car ride home being awfully silent. I kept asking my girlfriend if something was wrong, but she kept insisting that she was just tired. And no she wasnt just "tired".

My girlfriend ended up giving me the silent treatment for the next week. I would keep asking her if something was wrong, but she would always refuse to say what the issue was. The thought of me not paying, being the culprit, kept creeping into my mind, but I would always reassure myself by telling myself that my girlfriend wouldn't be dumb enough to expect me to pay for everyone's food.

I just lost it last Monday and demanded an answer from her. She ended up telling me that I embarrassed her in front of her friends by not paying for everyone. I asked her why it was my responsibility to pay. She told me that since I organized everything and I was "THE MAN," I was obliged to pay for everyone.

We ended up getting into a heated argument, and I ended up staying at my parents' house for the next couple of days to gather my thoughts. I came home last Friday, and her attitude towards me didn't change one bit.

When I confronted her again, she told me to transfer the money her friends paid for the food, and only then would she talk to me. We got into another heated argument, and I broke up with her then and there, telling her to pack her things.

While leaving, she called me a "broke boy" and wished me good luck finding another girlfriend with my "brokey mentality."

I almost immediately regretted dumping her on the spot for something that in the grand scheme of things, is really small.

She sent me an apology yesterday for calling me those names, but she insisted on me paying back her friends if I wanted to make our relationship work.

I have been a mess since. I don't want to throw away four years with someone I considered to be the future mother of my kids.

I could have given her friends a heads up that I wouldn't be covering for them, and I know that's completely my fault. But her behavior over the past two weeks has also been quite concerning to me.

But again, I love her too much for this situation to be the end of our relationship. I just want to swallow my pride and send her friends the money and forget about everything.

Looks like she might be able to reel him back in and net a clear thousand!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I would say "assurances" are concrete, like "I will accept your proposal after we move out of your parents' house" or "after I get a job in my new career" or "after I/you/we get therapy for a long-standing problem". they're not the same as wishy-washy "we're engaged but don't tell anyone" or "I'll accept at a later date, no explanation why"

idiotsavant posted:

Really wonder how strong the dudes “hints” were if his gf of 4 years froze up like a deer in the headlights. It’s 2024, it’s ok to ask your committed partner “so, hey, uh, getting married what do you think” and have a conversation.

It’s been said in this thread before but the proposal shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. The time and place can absolutely be a surprise (and I’m sure people will still gently caress this up by proposing to their introverted partners on the jumbotron, etc), but “do you want to marry me y/n” should not be a question

he did say they had discussions about marriage and kids as well - the hints were just about the imminent proposal

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Hughlander posted:

quote:

While leaving, she called me a "broke boy" and wished me good luck finding another girlfriend with my "brokey mentality."

I've no problem with people with a bit of money. But this level of disdain for non-rich people is a deal-breaker for sure.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITA for dumping my Gf after she expected me to pay for EVRYONE on her birthday.

I think if she wanted him to pay for everyone she probably should have discussed it with him before hand at least considering how much money it was. I kind of feel like the relationship was doomed if they couldn't discuss something like this.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

AceClown posted:

AITA for kicking out my sister for her emo outfit and telling her she can go to the funeral when she wears respectable clothes

Skulls at a funeral lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shanghaied posted:

I've no problem with people with a bit of money. But this level of disdain for non-rich people is a deal-breaker for sure.

lowkey brokey

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shanghaied posted:

My GF left me because I lost all our savings on my interstate egg arbitrage scheme. She asked me "could you at the very least not fly business???!!!" and I said "bitch, this is my business!!!"

Casually buying up every seat on the plane to fly my huevos to the ranchero in style

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
6 people and 1100 bucks tab? i mean its not that expensive but at least let me know im picking up the tab beforehand, thats rude. Also if im just assuming i have to follow trad gender roles i hope his underwear is ironed and his shirts are nice and pressed without asking if thats "the man" role.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Hughlander posted:

This is some TikTok poo poo, I guarantee it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
1100 between 6 people isn't like crazy bottle popping numbers but I'd consider it on the high end. With it being pounds though it might be more understandable.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Crocobile posted:

:hmmyes:

Fiancé is correct in the title but “finance” throughout the post and it’s pissing me off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fiancé: man engaged to be married
Fiancée: a woman engaged to be married

If we are gonna nitpick spelling, I'mma get all up in there on those nits.

E: re: the birthday dinner, he did say that he invited them all out so I can see how they might think he intended to pay. If I invite you to a party, I assume I am paying for the event. I am pretty sure we have seen similar posts from the other POV where e.g.a wealthy family invited their son-in-law to a dinner party at a restaurant he could never afford on his own, and he felt blindsided at having to pay for his meal.

That said, she should absolutely have clarified at some point if he was covering the whole shout.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 1, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

This is some TikTok poo poo, I guarantee it.

yes I have seen several (fake) tik toks of this

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hughlander posted:

He pays for practically everything & has a better job but he's the 'broke boy' :lol:

Dump that leech & her stupid parasite friends into a car shredder

mystes
May 31, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

1100 between 6 people isn't like crazy bottle popping numbers but I'd consider it on the high end. With it being pounds though it might be more understandable.
It's by no means insane for someone who has the money and has decided they are going to splurge and treat 6 people to a nice meal but it would be a very unpleasant surprise for the OP if they were expecting to only pay for $367 of it, and considering that they hadn't discussed it, combined with the "broke boy" comment and the attitude about the man always having to pay, I can understand it being relationship-ending.

From the vibe it also kind of seems like she may have intentionally done it as a way to show of and/or a "relationship test" type thing which is kind of icky to me

If they were sharing finances and it wasnt really "him" paying and she just felt like it was the right thing to do to pay for everyone who came to her birthday dinner I would feel more sympathetic to her.

I don't know how much they're paying but $1100 is just a really big unexpected expense so I feel like this falls under something that needs to be discussed in advanced just based on that

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 1, 2024

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

wheatpuppy posted:

If we are gonna nitpick spelling, I'mma get all up in there on those nits.

I just keep adding "e"s until it feels right.

"I bought my financeeeee a bananananana when we visited Mississississippi."

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It was euros not good ol' pound sterling. I'm user UnionJackSpitfireBulldog1066, and I'm very triggered by your ignorance. #TakeBackControl #GetOverIt #BluePassportsForever

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol continuing to demand compensation for all her friends as a precondition for getting back together

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mystes posted:

If they were sharing finances and it wasnt really "him" paying and she just felt like it was the right thing to do to pay for everyone who came to her birthday dinner I would feel more sympathetic to her
I don't think sharing finances is a good idea. Redditors in poly relationships always seem to lead to drama.

mystes
May 31, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

I don't think sharing finances is a good idea. Redditors in poly relationships always seem to lead to drama.
lol is this going to be the new meme in this thread for the next 20 pages

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

wheatpuppy posted:

heh

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean euros are a favorable exchange right now, thanks for reminding me its a good time to pay my 40 euro debt but even then, oh gee lady entice my broke rear end to pay for your friends as a preconsideration of allowing you to keep being entitled and rude. :rolleyes: yeah the checks in the mail...

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I'm gonna start coming up with hosed up relationship tests: for TikTok, just to see if people do them.

Test 1: disappear for two days, then turn your phone back on, and explain to your boyfriend that your entire identity is a lie. In reality, you work for Argentinian intelligence, your cover has been blown, and you've had to return to Argentina. Tell him you totally understand if he doesn't wanna join you because he would have to turn his life completely upside down and he'd be a wanted man on the run and that you can't guarantee his safety. If he drops everything, renounces his American citizenship, and books a flight to Argentina, he's a keeper. Otherwise, he doesn't really love you.

Test 2: call your boyfriend in a panic tell him you messed up and you're being held by kidnappers demanding $40,000 in cash by the end of the day. If he brings the money to the abandoned warehouse, he's a keeper. if not, he doesn't love you (or he doesn't have $40,000).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Financier: what you call your fiancée when introducing her to your lab assistant/mistress.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I'm gonna start coming up with hosed up relationship tests: for TikTok, just to see if people do them.

Test 1: disappear for two days, then turn your phone back on, and explain to your boyfriend that your entire identity is a lie. In reality, you work for Argentinian intelligence, your cover has been blown, and you've had to return to Argentina. Tell him you totally understand if he doesn't wanna join you because he would have to turn his life completely upside down and he'd be a wanted man on the run and that you can't guarantee his safety. If he drops everything, renounces his American citizenship, and books a flight to Argentina, he's a keeper. Otherwise, he doesn't really love you.

Test 2: call your boyfriend in a panic tell him you messed up and you're being held by kidnappers demanding $40,000 in cash by the end of the day. If he brings the money to the abandoned warehouse, he's a keeper. if not, he doesn't love you (or he doesn't have $40,000).

Like a hardcore version of these. Love the concept.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314857/Nathan-Fielder-Hilarious-text-message-weed-prank-sends-wide-spread-panic-parents.html

https://www.vulture.com/2013/05/nathan-fielder-has-another-text-message-prank-thats-destroying-romantic-relationships-this-time.html

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Mx. posted:

I told my girlfriend I didn't care about one of her interests and that completely destroyed our conversations

My husband likes trains, specifically steam engines and models thereof. He is well on his way to becoming a "train guy." And, I very much am not. However, if he wants to talk for three hours about trains and steam engines and model building and more... I will sit there and listen and nod and smile because it makes him happy. It sounds like that was where the girlfriend was with his hobbies. Now, she's reflecting the energy he gave about her interests back, and he's just now starting to realize how it hurts. They might be able to get past it, but he's got to grow up really fast for that to happen and stop blaming her for not coddling him anymore.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Look, if I am in any circumstance where I have to tell someone "I am not your girlfriend," I have been alerted to the fact that something is not on the level with the person I am talking to. Either they are hallucinating the relationship or something. I don't just let that pass. And if they go dead silent after that, I may suspect they have been hurt by what I said. And if I somehow did and that person starts avoiding me, maybe I put together 1 and 1 and make 2. And if somehow none of that was in my notice, I don't find out the other person is cheating, with the words "Well, we're not a couple, so I'm free to do whatever," and STILL not think "Hey, is this tied to the only thing I have said to them in a week?"

This guy is terminally unobservant.

These two people are both idiots though. Him for stringing her along, which you KNOW he was doing. He wanted to have her around for all the girlfriend stuff (like breakfast in bed and companionship) but without committing to it. He just didn't expect her to go do her own thing. And she was great for doing so. I think where she became an idiot was for pretending to be sick and then being broken hearted when he actually got mad she went out. "Now that I KNOW we aren't together, I'm crying all the time." I feel like this is shaping up to be one of the stupid toxic relationships where they break up every 6 months anyhow.

Mx. posted:

AITAH? My (39F) Ex husband (37M) is insisting I change my last name back to my maiden name because his new fiancé (24F) feels it will be awkward for her and I to have the same last name. AITAH for refusing to change it?

I hope OP gets embossed stationary with a bolded and raised imprint of the last name to send every bit of mail to her ex and his new wife from here until the kids are grown and flown. The new wife is a woman who should NOT marry a man with kids, and the ex is a POS too. My husband had 4 kids when we met, and while I don't think the kids being unhappy would (or should) have immediately ended it, it definitely and reasonably would have slowed our relationship down considerably, not just because of him and how his kids feel but because I would have needed to consider how blending my life with his was going to go with 4 unhappy children. It really would have mattered to both of us WHY the kids were unhappy. This new wife is determined to make it a competition, the last name is her current "win condition." Their marriage is going to suck because she will never be able to accept that she's a second wife.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BrideOfUglycat posted:

My husband likes trains, specifically steam engines and models thereof. He is well on his way to becoming a "train guy." And, I very much am not. However, if he wants to talk for three hours about trains and steam engines and model building and more... I will sit there and listen and nod and smile because it makes him happy. It sounds like that was where the girlfriend was with his hobbies. Now, she's reflecting the energy he gave about her interests back, and he's just now starting to realize how it hurts. They might be able to get past it, but he's got to grow up really fast for that to happen and stop blaming her for not coddling him anymore.

they're talking about TV

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
lotsa brokeys in this thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrideOfUglycat posted:

These two people are both idiots though. Him for stringing her along, which you KNOW he was doing. He wanted to have her around for all the girlfriend stuff (like breakfast in bed and companionship) but without committing to it. He just didn't expect her to go do her own thing. And she was great for doing so. I think where she became an idiot was for pretending to be sick and then being broken hearted when he actually got mad she went out. "Now that I KNOW we aren't together, I'm crying all the time." I feel like this is shaping up to be one of the stupid toxic relationships where they break up every 6 months anyhow.
The way I'm reading it is that once he said he wasn't her boyfriend, it was 100% over for her, and everything after that is just a combination of her being upset but also trying to teach him a lesson in addition to just breaking up

I think "being broken hearted when he actually got mad she went out" is a misreading of it. I don't think she was crying because she was "broken hearted" that he left, I think she was crying because she was still just upset about the whole situation and it was hard for her to hold it in for the whole conversation.

I don't think it is shaping up to be any sort of relationship, because the relationship is over.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 1, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

People are going to hold a grudge a lot longer and think a lot less of the person who kicked a child out of their parent’s funeral than they are of a person who didn’t dress “right” for it, and for a lot of good reasons.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

selec posted:

People are going to hold a grudge a lot longer and think a lot less of the person who kicked a child out of their parent’s funeral than they are of a person who didn’t dress “right” for it, and for a lot of good reasons.

Daughter not child. She’s 26.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

selec posted:

Yeah, I'm all for judging the adult daughter who showed up to her dad's funeral dressed as Hot Topic but kicking her out seems like an overreaction.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Daughter not child. She’s 26.

That actually makes the OP seem even worse. Why is it your job to police another adult’s fashion? Just let people form their own opinions. Instead, OP gave them all a big BUT: “She shouldn’t have worn that outfit, BUT that’s no reason to kick her out.” OP set themselves up to look worse than sister when all they had to do was nothing at all but coexist.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, I'm all for judging the adult daughter who showed up to her dad's funeral dressed as Hot Topic but kicking her out seems like an overreaction.

Yeah, give the girl a chance to play some Cradle of Filth to help everyone get through tough times. The music may sound horrible, but it's actually quite beautiful.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITAH for wanting my gf to overcome her ick?

quote:

Le me (27m) has a wonderful gf (25f) and sometimes we have some sort of squabble. We have been together for about 2 years, so we are still trying to find our groove in some situations. Especially at home. I ralely initiate dinner, breakfast or anything related. I know she likes it when I stand behind the stove, but I do not do it that often. Call me childish, however, I simply do not get what im wishing for as a return. So over the time I got less and less motivation to go create a love dove dinner type of thing and be romantic.

"All im asking for" is a foot massage on the couch at movie/series night. Getting the fuzzy stuff out of my toe gaps. Stuff like this. I would wash my feet beforehand, but neither then the massage is supposed to happen.

She has a or hundred problems with feet in general. She is disgusted just by the looks and the thought of feet. + I have a crippled toe, which is not appealing either. (a 12 tons bus ran over my foot when I was 11)

It is nothing sexual involved there, no sexual fetish or anything. To me it is the pinnacle of relaxation and sort of a language of love to massage someones feet. I do not have a problem with returning her this favour. I do actually like it to massage her feet.

Instead of the massage I get all kinds of things, such as she buys a gallon of farmers milk every wednesday, because I like it slightly more than supermarket milk. She goes grocery shopping quite often so I do not have to.

Every time I asked her for the massage, she simply replies :"Ugh, do not force it, I do it whenever I feel like it!" To me she never did it, to her she did it once in 6 months, which I obviously do not remember.

Is it too much to ask for this massage more frequently? I would love her to do less grocery shopping & stuff to actually give me the massage. I feel so stupid to write all of this.. AITAH?

edit*: I do not want to break up with her, I want to know wether I am the rear end in a top hat or not.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

AKA Pseudonym posted:

quote:

Le me

YTA

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"le me"

:sever:

the rest

uh... yeah :sever:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

funeral OP in comments posted:

She hasn’t talked to him in forever and didn’t even say goodbye to him on his death bed

OK, I might be coming around some on this one. The original post said that emo daughter wasn't close to her mom or sister but conspicuously did not say anything about her relationship with her dad, but if she actually didn't have much of a relationship with him then I'd be less inclined to cut her slack. I still don't think kicking her out over dress code was really necessary but I have a hard time getting up in arms about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

"le me"

:sever:

the rest

uh... yeah :sever:

Didn't this poo poo die out years ago? YTA....just...so much the rear end in a top hat.