Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
That’s right folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was just playing a run where I used multiple Immolates to just blast huge chunks of my deck, it wound up working out pretty well cause I had Blackboard and the Immolates mostly hit red suited cards, but a side effect of this was that I had a really low number of cards in my deck for most of the run and I saw Eruption in the shop multiple times and it kinda illustrated how wack that Joker is because it was just so much weaker than all of my other Jokers in what should've been the optimal situation for that deck. It really feels like it should be giving XMult, not +Mult.

Also the more I play I think there should be some kinda mechanic to extract properties from a card or Joker and place them into another card. This sentiment brought to you by all of the asstacular Negative Jokers I see once a run is already going.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Damnit, had the legendary that copies a consumable and blueprint from very early. Got three of a kind to level 50, twelve aces in my deck, and on ante 11 the game put all of them on the bottom of my deck. I was copying three of a kind, would probably have gone much higher if it was high card.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the spectral cards that ding you with -1 hand size feel a little too brutal to ever be worth taking, especially for how random they can be.

LifeLynx posted:

Damnit, had the legendary that copies a consumable and blueprint from very early. Got three of a kind to level 50, twelve aces in my deck, and on ante 11 the game put all of them on the bottom of my deck. I was copying three of a kind, would probably have gone much higher if it was high card.

i had a run die like that. direly needed a full house, needed three aces, had 15 left in the deck and not a single one decided to show up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The next shop would've yielded four more negative jokers, bringing me up to 14 total :cry:

e: I think I threw away some suit-changing cards that would have saved me on that last round, too, because I wasn't paying enough attention

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My newest crazy scheme to get the last Legendary Joker to show up:

- Play on Anaglyph deck
- Stock up on Double Tags
- Use them all when I see Mega Arcana Pack or Mega Spectral Pack so I can see like 5+ packs all at once while only skipping one shop.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm so pissed off, I just bricked the best run I have ever gotten because I wasn't paying attention. Ancient Joker into Ankh to double it in the first ante! And then I got Hack and Smeared Joker shortly after plus a decent pile of wild cards. I had hands in the millions as early as fifth ante, it was awesome!

Seventh boss blind rolls around and it debuffs clubs, which is of course the suit that my ancient jokers are on. I've got nothing. I even rolled past one of the jokers that you can sell to reroll the boss blind in the prior shop because I wasn't bothering to look ahead at what it was. gently caress my life lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fajita Queen posted:

I'm so pissed off, I just bricked the best run I have ever gotten because I wasn't paying attention. Ancient Joker into Ankh to double it in the first ante! And then I got Hack and Smeared Joker shortly after plus a decent pile of wild cards. I had hands in the millions as early as fifth ante, it was awesome!

Seventh boss blind rolls around and it debuffs clubs, which is of course the suit that my ancient jokers are on. I've got nothing. I even rolled past one of the jokers that you can sell to reroll the boss blind in the prior shop because I wasn't bothering to look ahead at what it was. gently caress my life lol

I just had an extremely similar Smeared/Ancient run where I had removed almost all of the black cards in my deck and I was like "as long as it doesn't go to one of the black suits.....we're good."

It went to Spades after one round. :laffo:

Is Ancient Joker one of the ones that won't bring up anything that doesn't exist in your deck or is there always the chance to brick it in that fashion?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

just bought the game again on steam deck so i could play it while my switch is charging....

hmm

Waiting for a mobile port personally

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MJeff posted:

I just had an extremely similar Smeared/Ancient run where I had removed almost all of the black cards in my deck and I was like "as long as it doesn't go to one of the black suits.....we're good."

It went to Spades after one round. :laffo:

Is Ancient Joker one of the ones that won't bring up anything that doesn't exist in your deck or is there always the chance to brick it in that fashion?

Equal chance for all four suits regardless of your deck, so you need a balance and some wilds to utilize it effectively. But goddamn is it good when you make it work especially if you have a retrigger joker and/or a bunch of red seals. One of the best exponential scaling jokers in the game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FINALLY GOT YOU YOU GOOFY BLUE gently caress

Edit: And I died on the next ante because the boss debuffed diamonds and my whole build was playing a bunch of diamond queens. loving hell. :laffo:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 1, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Picked this up last night, and had my first run to Ante 8's boss, think it's Crimson White? And... yow. I get you basically have to beat it on one hand, two at most but still... yow.

I'm struggling to get anything other than a flush build to be good. Sometimes I can play a few boats but flushes always seem to be my bread and butter.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And a couple false starts later I get my first win! Sure enough it was a flush deck with a shitload of hearts. I wish there was a run history like StS to show what Jokers/Deck/Vouchers I ended up with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

flush is solid I do it a lot. Feels easy to lean into if youre doing lots of tarots. Easier than straights or boats IMO

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
File under the "You can move the jokers" type..

If you have the raised fist (+double your lowest card rank multiplier), move any steel cards AFTER it in your hand.. the raised fist will trigger first, making the steel card much more powerful.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Tayter Swift posted:

And a couple false starts later I get my first win! Sure enough it was a flush deck with a shitload of hearts. I wish there was a run history like StS to show what Jokers/Deck/Vouchers I ended up with.

I think the developer said a history log was a priority. Maybe not in the upcoming patch but soon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maxy Boy posted:

I get what you mean, but I would kick Sixth Sense, Seance and Obelisk down to Uncommon before I considered demoting my beloved Wee Joker

I feel like Sixth Sense sucks and should not be a Rare card. Anytime it shows up I try to make use of it but it just leads to disappointment.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

MJeff posted:

working out pretty well cause I had Blackboard and the Immolates

They melted faces when I saw them live

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Wouldn't it hit the same cards as old odd Todd?

nein

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I wonder why red deck is the starting deck when green and abandoned are easier to win with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If red deck wasn't the starter deck there would be no reason to touch it since it's a worse version of the blue deck (which is generically quite good.)

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Genuinely think the black deck is the most difficult at gold stake

3/2 with 7 card hands is brutal. You need to hit a buyable +mult or +chip joker in your first two shops or youre toast. And minus hands is also minus money, so you need an econ joker on your third or fourth shop or youre not making it through the midgame.

Ive had to reset so many times

sure okay fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 1, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

sure okay posted:

Genuinely think the black deck is the most difficult at gold stake

3/2 with 7 card hands is brutal. You need to hit a buyable +mult or +chip joker in your first two shops or youre toast. Then you need an econ joker on your third or fourth shop or youre not making it through the midgame.

Ive had to reset so many times

black deck sucks so hard compared to the others, the drawback is so severe

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

pisshead posted:

I wonder why red deck is the starting deck when green and abandoned are easier to win with.

I mean, typically starter options are well rounded and/or give newbies some leeway to make mistakes. As such, red deck is a great idea for a starter deck, because +1 discard is a great way to allow someone new to Balatro make suboptimal moves while fishing for a hand they need. Starting off with Green or Abandoned is kind of insane, because as good as they are they gently caress with the status quo of the game in dramatic ways.

It is pretty funny how Red is almost strictly worse than Blue deck though. It's still a pretty good deck, but maybe Blue deck could use a small nerf, or Red deck a buff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
What’s the easiest deck for black stake :whitewater:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Chequered Deck or Plasma Desk IMO

Abandoned deck a close 3rd

Erratic Deck if you like mashing R till you get a bonkers deck with 20 aces or whatever

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Probably Plasma or Checkered. I climbed the stakes on Anaglyph Deck, which was probably a mistake, because skipping really isn't very strong as you climb the stakes and need to squeeze every bit of value you can out of every blind.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Checkered I’m having real trouble with at the higher Antes cos Flush scales so badly. I’m gonna have to try Straights or something.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Checkered I’m having real trouble with at the higher Antes cos Flush scales so badly. I’m gonna have to try Straights or something.

IMO it's a flaw of the game that most high stakes run I've won has been some variation of high card that does not give a poo poo about your deck in any meaningful way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah, don't bother going all in on flushes unless you get a ton of early support for them. The point of checkered deck is just being able to reliably hit reasonably big hands early on while you find something to build around. When climbing checkered deck I had more wins that were centered on high card or 5 of a kind or two pair/full house than I had wins that were centered on flushes, but they all started out playing flushes to reliably dunk ante 1/2.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yeah unless you can really omega-scale Flush with something like a tag or Burnt Joker or Telescope or Observatory or something, it's gonna fall off before Ante 8. You're gonna want to try and transition into Straight Flushes, Flush Houses, Flush Fives, something of that nature.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Aggro posted:

I posted uh, way too much about Jokerless. It does require you to get extremely lucky but after I started going after a specific plan of attack, I saw more and more progress.

You need to get your economy rolling early because you have to buy as many Tarot and Celestial cards as possible. I would refresh until I got the “$15 for beating the boss” in ante 1. Getting a Hermit in Ante 2 or 3 will make a huge difference. From there, pick a suit and aggressively convert cards to that suit. You also want to start making as many Glass and Steel cards as possible, but mostly Glass. The absolute best Tarot card in the mid-to-late Antes is Death, especially if you have a Glass card with a Red stamp or Holo/Poly. The only Planets worth buying are Mars and Jupiter. Avoid playing Flush Fives or Flush Houses because it just adds more variance. Every voucher is helpful, but Telescope makes a tremendous difference. And you can still get turbo hosed by getting Verdant Leaf (sell a joker or everything is debuffed) in ante 8.

In my final winning run, my deck only had 37 cards, 36 of which were hearts. Almost every card had some sort of upgrade. My last hand was 4 Red Stamp Poly Glass 9s for 1.2 million points. It was intensely satisfying after close to 100 failed runs and at least 10 hours.

Really appreciate these tips - was able to clear jokerless within 5 or 6 attempts after trying to follow these guidelines

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AceClown posted:

IMO it's a flaw of the game that most high stakes run I've won has been some variation of high card that does not give a poo poo about your deck in any meaningful way.

Green Joker + Square Joker combo is like the most braindead thing in the game but it's also probably the most surefire way to get through Gold Stake.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Good ideas. I think I had Flush up at lvl 30+ and still couldn’t beat Ante 8 🃏

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

MJeff posted:

Green Joker + Square Joker combo is like the most braindead thing in the game but it's also probably the most surefire way to get through Gold Stake.

yeah I should have edited that to say:

IMO it's a flaw of the game that most high stakes run I've won has been some variation of jokers that does not give a poo poo about your deck in any meaningful way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I unlocked the Four Jokers Only, Beat in 18/12 Runs or Under jokers by just mashing skips on the Painted Deck :whatup:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AceClown posted:

yeah I should have edited that to say:

IMO it's a flaw of the game that most high stakes run I've won has been some variation of jokers that does not give a poo poo about your deck in any meaningful way.

I was agreeing with you and providing a supporting example, to be clear. :v:

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Darke GBF posted:

I can see why the dev wouldn't want to do that, but at the same time, I'm just going to reroll until I get a halfway decent set of tags at higher stakes anyway, so why torture me?
For the most part you'll do better on higher stakes if you play the first ante and get a peak at an extra set of jokers. I think a lot of people underrate the opportunity cost of missing a shop. You snag something pivotal like a green joker, supernova, or ride the bus and it can significantly boost your odds of winning a run, particularly on purple and above.

black stake loving sucks!!!

Black stake is probably my favorite stake. Of all the difficulty increases not only is the general penalty of eternal jokers not too big of a deal, (you don't need 5 good jokers to beat most runs so it really isn't the end of the world if you settle on one that's a little weak to get through early antes), but it can actually enable strong builds.

For ex: I was working on purple stake ghost deck and rolled a madness early on so I polychromed it up and just took whatever eternal jokers were good enough. Madness won't destroy eternal jokers, but it still grows every round.

Sac dagger has somewhat similar synergy in that it can't destroy eternal jokers, it won't grow though.

I think black is my fav stake because the difficulty feels just right. I've gotten a couple orange clears and a gold clear and while I'm getting better at the high stake mechanics I feel like it's overall a bit too punishing and you're kind of forced to go for samey low variance builds. If I ever get around to clearing gold on all decks I imagine black is probably where I'll sit just for casual runs. Purple is pretty fun too but I wish the point hike came before the discard penalty.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Speaking of wee joker discussion earlier:

786 flat chips on ante 8 is lol, card sharp was kind of a wasted slot cause I was just going 5 of a kind 2's by the end and it's not super reliable to play that twice in a row. Originally I was expecting to just double up on 3 of a kinds but I got so many planet x's it was like why not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Finally unlocked stuntman and all of the legendaries. Now I just need an early Throwback to get a 12 round win and should have everything unlocked.