Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Whisky tango foxtrot.

"Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Isreal orever foundation

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It would not at all surprise me to learn that IDF soldiers are not phased by the war crimes they are committing.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

When I read the memoir of a social scientist who was also a Battalion XO in the West Bank during the Second Intifada, it was pretty illuminating insofar as they were not phased in the least about the crimes, they just felt fatigued and overworked, which is pretty far from being the same thing. The complaints by Israeli soldiers were that they were pulling too many shifts at the murder factory, essentially.

e: A lot of their complaints were about how they "had" to deal with Palestinians, and couldn't "just" shoot them/call for an airstrike/blow up a building with a tank when someone threw stones. Which ties into their infantry being historically bad, and their reliance on AirPower and overkill, but also a kind of... idk, pervasive laziness? Detaining kids who threw stones was a hassle, shooting them saved time and paperwork.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

Are we gonna get sad articles about Israelis with ptsd from killing too many people, or is the IDF too bloodthirsty even for that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltz_with_Bashir

they already made a loving feature-length anime about how sad massacring people made them feel, so why not?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Scallop Eyes posted:

I was trying to get this through my mind when the nazis reported morale problems when they made soldiers shoot too many people.

Are we gonna get sad articles about Israelis with ptsd from killing too many people, or is the IDF too bloodthirsty even for that?

I think one of the poignant differences between this and the actual Nazis is that even though antisemitism existed and resulted in this horrific mistreatment, the Germans didn't spend 80 loving years psyching up their population on the notion that Jewish people aren't people.

That the dehumanizing of Palestinians as a propaganda effort has been going on for generations has probably led to a very high ceiling on remorseless psychotic behavior from Israeli soldiers wrt Palestinians.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Remembering the guy at the Wannsee Conference opposed to the Holocaust because of all the paperwork and legal gridlock it would cause

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

When I read the memoir of a social scientist who was also a Battalion XO in the West Bank during the Second Intifada, it was pretty illuminating insofar as they were not phased in the least about the crimes, they just felt fatigued and overworked, which is pretty far from being the same thing. The complaints by Israeli soldiers were that they were pulling too many shifts at the murder factory, essentially.

e: A lot of their complaints were about how they "had" to deal with Palestinians, and couldn't "just" shoot them/call for an airstrike/blow up a building with a tank when someone threw stones. Which ties into their infantry being historically bad, and their reliance on AirPower and overkill, but also a kind of... idk, pervasive laziness? Detaining kids who threw stones was a hassle, shooting them saved time and paperwork.

what's the title?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Shooting and crying (because you're tired and cranky from all the shooting)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I think one of the poignant differences between this and the actual Nazis is that even though antisemitism existed and resulted in this horrific mistreatment, the Germans didn't spend 80 loving years psyching up their population on the notion that Jewish people aren't people.

That the dehumanizing of Palestinians as a propaganda effort has been going on for generations has probably led to a very high ceiling on remorseless psychotic behavior from Israeli soldiers wrt Palestinians.

Ehh there was a lot of antisemitism flying around Europe at the time, and lots of people were plenty okay with colonial wars against perceived lessers

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Wasn't this basically also how it was with the Nazis? Like we gotta kill all the judeo bolsheviks and we gotta dig latrines and they're both such a bother but someone's gotta do em

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
They moved to industrialised killing in camps because the death squads were getting too psychologically hosed up even as enthusiastic participants

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bobtheconqueror posted:

This is a thing I've noticed on social media discussions of this.
The actual psychopaths are refreshingly honest, they openly don't care about the Palestinians, just kill em all, no pretence of morality.
The superficially kind, caring and normal voices dress their desire to kill Palestinians in intricate layers of 'Hamas uses human shields', 'the IDF has to assume all civilians are Hamas suicide bombers', 'Hamas forces the IDF to be indiscriminate because they don't wear uniforms'

They try to launder their absolute support of genocide via laughably thin excuses.
Crying while bombing hospitals is about right.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

double nine posted:

what's the title?

I came across it through the footnotes in Israel's Death Hierarchy: Casualty Aversion in a Militarized Democracy. It might have been Managing a Moral Dilemma: Israeli Soldiers in the Intifada?

StashAugustine posted:

Wasn't this basically also how it was with the Nazis? Like we gotta kill all the judeo bolsheviks and we gotta dig latrines and they're both such a bother but someone's gotta do em

💯

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

bobtheconqueror posted:

And, though politically untenable as it is to study, I wonder if researchers later will find a connection between constant exposure to the realities of the Holocaust from a young age to doing atrocities yourself and feeling like you just get a right to do that forever because it happened to your people in the past. I'm not well versed in exactly how Zionists educate children, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was this general revanchist sentiment being fomented that comes out once they feel threatened.

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it still boggles my mind how ludicrously and obviously evil the IDF and Zionists can be and publicly present themselves as while this is seen as normal and acceptable to the nazi states of the world. people really do not realize what they are living under. this should have been a moment of clarity for everyone who thinks they live in a government that values human rights and still supports this genocide but holy poo poo the propaganda runs so deep

It's not really that different to how previous colonial adventures and related genocides have been normalized in the west. It's just more openly expressed now. That said, I think a lot of people have realized just how morally and ethically bankrupt their governments are, and hopefully that realization will lead to real change for the better.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pookah posted:

The US likes to maintain the paper-thin fiction that the 'Rules Based International Order' means anything even when it collapses as soon as it runs into anything close to US interests, but it feels like Israel is fully determined to force it to go fully mask-off and reveal that the RBIO never existed and the only rule is Try and Stop Me.

we are way past that point, they really really hosed up

there's an ICJ ruling and a vote from the security council which the USA abstained and it keeps going. One of the most significant effects from this clusterfuck is the exposition of this basic fact of reality to the detriment of a lot of liberal perspectives outside NATO, where the illusion of international civility and rule of law was a very important cornerstone of what was offered. Now, seeing that the United States government doesn't give a single atom of a gently caress for the rules as seen by the whole set of recent and ongoing events, most of the world is doing at least something to move away from the American imperial order, and it is breaking the poo poo out of their political brains there

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Death By The Blues posted:

Rumours of the ground invasion of Rafah will last 6 months

https://twitter.com/EpshtainItay/status/1774854958988308915

thought they were wrapping up the war by the end of january. what gives

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

quote="dead gay comedy forums" post="538692544"]

there's an ICJ ruling and a vote from the security council which the USA abstained and it keeps going. One of the most significant effects from this clusterfuck is the exposition of this basic fact of reality to the detriment of a lot of liberal perspectives outside NATO, where the illusion of international civility and rule of law was a very important cornerstone of what was offered. Now, seeing that the United States government doesn't give a single atom of a gently caress for the rules as seen by the whole set of recent and ongoing events, most of the world is doing at least something
to move away from the American imperial order, and it is breaking the poo poo out of their political brains there
[/quote]

And the response from the US about the ICJ ruling was that it was not binding was refuted by absolutely everyone else.
The US is on its own, trying to enforce by power alone, that its warped version of justice is accurate. It is very interesting that even its allys are hemming and hawing about supporting the US in its absolutely asinine blind support of Israel.

America is relying on pure military power to force allied support of Israel, and it is not working anymore.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pookah posted:

America is relying on pure military power to force allied support of Israel, and it is not working anymore.

I mean it clearly is...

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it still boggles my mind how ludicrously and obviously evil the IDF and Zionists can be and publicly present themselves as while this is seen as normal and acceptable to the nazi states of the world. people really do not realize what they are living under. this should have been a moment of clarity for everyone who thinks they live in a government that values human rights and still supports this genocide but holy poo poo the propaganda runs so deep

I mean every time there's an article about Oppenheimer people make a bazillion posts that the Japanese deserved it because they were 100% fanatically behind the war, which was known to be untrue even at that time and was mainly a convenient way to evict thousands of Japanese Americans off of valuable West Coast real estate, in addition to being a handy bit of war crime apologia. But 80 years later people still believe and vehemently defend this poo poo, even though it does nothing for them now.

Edit: DTA, DTI

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Pookah posted:

Heartbreakingly sad account from a photographer of newborn babies in Gaza.

https://www.thejournal.ie/gaza-children-killed-israel-6320234-Apr2024/

DTI, DTA

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

apatheticman posted:

I mean it clearly is...

Previously, it was an established fact that Israel was a tiny little country surrounded by States that just hated it for being Jewish.
Now it is an established fact that Israel is a genocidal colonial shitbag state that regards ethnic Palestinians as inferior and weak and deserving of eradication.
Times change, and Israel is not doing a great job of presenting itself as anything but a horrific apartheid shithole.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Scallop Eyes posted:

Remembering the guy at the Wannsee Conference opposed to the Holocaust because of all the paperwork and legal gridlock it would cause

4x gaming: i have no complaints but genocide is too complicated

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pookah posted:

Previously, it was an established fact that Israel was a tiny little country surrounded by States that just hated it for being Jewish.
Now it is an established fact that Israel is a genocidal colonial shitbag state that regards ethnic Palestinians as inferior and weak and deserving of eradication.
Times change, and Israel is not doing a great job of presenting itself as anything but a horrific apartheid shithole.

Like, they want gold stars and ecstatic praise for being giant pieces of poo poo, and that is putting a lot of people who are happy to support them in difficult positions.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Al-Saqr posted:

the israeli army, suffering constant mortar bombardment and sniper fire from the resistance for two weeks, have withdrawn entirely from al-shifa hospital and its surrounding area, the palestinian resistance have successfully lifted the siege on the hospital.

I guess israel thought that they were accomplishing anything by attacking a hospital hospital twice and killing patients and doctors.

======

Urgent | Al-Jazeera Reporter: The occupation army completely withdraws from the inside of the Shifa complex and its surroundings

Urgent | Al-Jazeera Reporter: The occupation army fully withdraws from the inside of the Shifa complex and its surroundings, west of Gaza City, after an operation that lasted about two weeks

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2024...31581;&%231576;

paul_soccer12 posted:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/law-allowing-shuttering-of-al-jazeera-in-israel-passes-final-knesset-readings/
Law allowing shuttering of Al Jazeera in Israel passes final Knesset readings

The so-called Al Jazeera law, which gives the government temporary powers to prevent foreign news networks from operating in Israel if they are deemed to be harming national security, passed its second and third readings in the Knesset plenum.

Praising the law’s passage, Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi says, “There will be no freedom of speech for Hamas mouthpieces in Israel. Al Jazeera will be closed in the coming days.”

Earlier today, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had spoken with coalition whip Ofir Katz to ensure the law would pass.

The law empowers the communications minister to order “content providers” to cease broadcasting the channel in question; order the channel’s Israeli offices to be shuttered; order the channel’s equipment be confiscated; and order the channel’s website to be taken offline, if the server is physically located in Israel, or otherwise block access to the website.

Orange Devil posted:

This has always been the definition of terrorism. Terrorism is when you oppose the empire with violence. Sometimes even without violence.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

there's an ICJ ruling and a vote from the security council which the USA abstained and it keeps going. One of the most significant effects from this clusterfuck is the exposition of this basic fact of reality to the detriment of a lot of liberal perspectives outside NATO, where the illusion of international civility and rule of law was a very important cornerstone of what was offered. Now, seeing that the United States government doesn't give a single atom of a gently caress for the rules as seen by the whole set of recent and ongoing events, most of the world is doing at least something to move away from the American imperial order, and it is breaking the poo poo out of their political brains there

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

every idf member must die

israel must fall

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

4x gaming: i have no complaints but genocide is too complicated

As opposed to Stellaris, where the material conditions of the game (poor game performance with large diverse populations) means genocide is strangely encouraged.

Anyways DTI

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
uh the zionist entity just bombed the Irani embassy in Damascus

1. I'm two weeks out from my trip to Iraq/Iran, hope this doesn't cause problems
2. death to the zionist entity

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-administration-weighing-18-billion-arms-transfers-israel-sources-say-2024-04-01/

quote:

The Biden administration is weighing whether to go ahead with a major $18 billion package of arms transfers to Israel that would involve dozens of F-15 aircraft and munitions, three sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.

The sale of 25 F-15s from Boeing to Israel has been under review since the United States received the formal request in January 2023, one of the sources said.

Speeding up the delivery of the aircraft was among the top asks by Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant who visited Washington last week and held talks with U.S. officials including U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan and Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, the second source said.

[...]

"Administration-Congressional deliberations on the F-15 case have already occurred," the second source familiar with the matter said, but added that some of the four offices required to sign off on any arms transfers had yet to do so.

[...]

The package includes a large number of F-15 aircraft, aircraft munitions and a number of support services, training, maintenance, sustainment and many years of contractor support during the lifecycle of the aircraft, which could typically go for up to two decades, according to one of the sources.

A third source said the Biden administration had expressed support to Israel for its F-15 request.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Shageletic posted:

We've got a weirdo getting erections about executions and Paul is still banned

the one dog its okay to brick

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It would not at all surprise me to learn that IDF soldiers are not phased by the war crimes they are committing.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

They moved to industrialised killing in camps because the death squads were getting too psychologically hosed up even as enthusiastic participants

and there's definitely a high practical cost as well. Turns out that the ideal fash soldier, the most motivated to fight for blood and soil and to destroy the Other entirely is also very disgraceful at warfare, for that set of psychological traits opposes many important ones for that ability.

ff, gradenko and others iirc did post a thing or two about this subject (and related) between this, ukraine and ww3 threads. In Vietnam, there was a lot of effort to put soldiers into the "berserker" mentality as it was imagined that it made the best fighting ability, but it turned out that this violent soldier expended a lot more munition, became undisciplined, would start to make basic mistakes and become a liability to fellow soldiers, so on and on. It was a laundry list of cons and the only thing it could be argued as an arguable "pro" was yeah, they caused more destruction.

and this is what fucks up the imperialist/fascist. The more time goes on, the oppressed learn how to fight with ever increasing discipline, skill and dedication, because that is what makes them able to outmatch the power that affords that vicious behavior. Air strikes? cool, we dig tunnels, or we will bicycle tens of kilometers over mountainous jungle to supply our forces. The oppressed do not underestimate their enemy: they must dedicate themselves to fight back in a level that is incomprehensible to the fash, because that this Other is actually realizing all the Virtue that they think they espouse. The deranged soldier is incapable of committing to higher standards of discipline to fight the Other, because this commitment both requires an admittance that the enemy is more capable (which is a serious cognitive problem) and a fundamental ability of sympathetic/empathetic outlook that isn't there to begin with! Because if it did, they wouldn't be the ideal soldier for the fascist work

conclusion: the IDF is just slightly above a murderous mob and would literally poo poo themselves against a proper army

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

joseph robinette biden is a fascist piece of poo poo.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...tative-group-2/

quote:

Assistant to the President and National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan together with Secretary of State Antony Blinken convened the Strategic Consultative Group (SCG) with Israeli counterparts today by secure video conference. The Israeli side was chaired by National Security Advisor Tzachi Hanegbi and Minster for Strategic Affairs Ron Dermer. Both sides were represented by experts and senior officials from across their respective inter-agencies. The two sides over the course of two hours had a constructive engagement on Rafah. They agreed that they share the objective to see Hamas defeated in Rafah. The U.S. side expressed its concerns with various courses of action in Rafah. The Israeli side agreed to take these concerns into account and to have follow up discussions between experts, overseen by the SCG. The follow up discussions would include in person SCG meeting as early as next week.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Death to America. Death to Israel.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow implicit coordination in a genocide.

Good thing the rules based international order is still as strong as ever.

Potato Swift
Oct 27, 2012

i fought the saw and the saw won

paul_soccer12 posted:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Whisky tango foxtrot.

no it says right there that her name is Forest Rain Marcia. Whisky Tango Foxtrot is a zionist columnist at another organisation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Israel just bombed the World Central Kitchen guys, they blew up their vehicles killing four foreigners working for that agency.

I wonder if the head chef guy will be brave enough to lambast israel for this.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Apr 1, 2024