Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Always have one ATB banked just so you can react

You can also use item economizer materia which gives you a free item usage and is very useful for oh-poo poo moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

mrpwase posted:

You go to select the correct retry option, and a miniature Sephiroth descends from the top of the screen and impales it
yeah and the skip scene won't be available either just for that extra gently caress you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeathChicken posted:

It's funny since the timeline Zack doesn't choose in that scene seems to literally wipe itself out as he passes it. Then he turns up in it anyway

It doesn't wipe itself out, the rainbow signifies a divergence in the timeline. It's creating a new one, not wiping it out. When you get to the scene where he's talking to Biggs in the reactor, the bag of chips has a different Stamp than the one in the universe where Zack goes to the Shinra building.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone know if this is legit? Or am I the April Fool
https://twitter.com/TheStrifeisRife/status/1774249699509211453

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just remembered and want to acknowledge the biggest popoff I had in Rebirth, when they seemingly made an entire set of arena fights at the bottom of the well in Dustbowl just to acknowledge Test 0, the debug wolf monster accidentally left in the same spot in the Japanese release of the original game. I lost my fuckin' poo poo when I realized where that was.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The implication at the time was that sephiroth failed because meteor didnt strike and also he was extremely dead, but Holy may or may not have killed humanity off in the process of protecting the planet, with the ambiguity that Red and other survivors of his kind might have been left as the only sapient life.

Yeah. I thought I was a moron and read into the ending too much since I was a kid when it came out but it definitely leaves you to think about the fate of everyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Frankly, this game's weird open ending is just in line with how 7 itself finishes up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frankly, this game's weird open ending is just in line with how 7 itself finishes up.

I like it. I prefer to be left with stuff to think and talk about. This doesn't seem to be the case for most people on social media rn though lol.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I found most of the last chapter to be just kinda weak but I do think a lot of the ending was the writers just leaning into FF7's whole attitude in an appropriate enough way.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I am pretty mystified by the intention of the original game's ending, but I'm always confused about people thinking "maybe Holy killed all the people". It's like Meteor very clearly got stopped...So is the theory that Holy then wiped every human out and Red....piloted an airship down by himself or...?

I think my takeaway from the ending is a simplistic "nature overcame the polluted city in the end", but the specificity of Red and 500 years is pretty weird.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Advent Children

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think the "humanity died" fans consider the entire movie a retcon.

Almost as wild as bringing a disintegrated Rufus back to life with a few bandages!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wild prediction: the end of the next game will largely play out the same as the OG, but instead of cutting to Red 500 years in the future, the screen will fade to black and then we cut to "Epilouge Chapter: Advent Children" and we get another 10 hours of gameplay.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I mean the game definitely left me feeling like everyone got wiped out and dog magic is real, but as I said I was a kid. Killing a main character and party member was also wild to me so why the hell wouldn't they consume all life (like not even in a nasty way, just in a reset nature way) when Holy or the lifestream gently caress back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IIRC the original plan was to have a few plumes of smoke rising from the overgrown Midgar to imply that humans were living there still but it was eventually removed, though I'm not sure where I read that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I am pretty mystified by the intention of the original game's ending, but I'm always confused about people thinking "maybe Holy killed all the people". It's like Meteor very clearly got stopped...So is the theory that Holy then wiped every human out and Red....piloted an airship down by himself or...?

I think my takeaway from the ending is a simplistic "nature overcame the polluted city in the end", but the specificity of Red and 500 years is pretty weird.

It's because Bugenhagen explicitly calls out the possibility of Holy wiping out humanity when you take him to the city of the ancients, saying it's up to the planet to decide what's bad for it.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I think Kitase said about Holy killing everyone in one of the Ultimanias. Bugenhagen says in the City of the Ancients "Meteor, Weapon, everything will disappear. Perhaps, even ourselves. It is up to the Planet to decide."

That does surprise me on a check because I think it's different where Holy came out too late and the unclear comment about it having the opposite effect. So the lifestream has to intervene itself and maybe, on reflection, you could say that the lifestream does show mercy on the people. The role and nature of Holy isn't something that's discussed too much, it is Of The Planet but separate to the lifestream I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phantasium posted:

It's because Bugenhagen explicitly calls out the possibility of Holy wiping out humanity when you take him to the city of the ancients, saying it's up to the planet to decide what's bad for it.

Yeah that's right! I didn't think I just invented holy or the planet potentially wiping the slate clean. It made sense for red to be protected or transported to safety given he's from a special race of dogs that protect the planet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I personally feel like they included the children laughing at the end to be like “we’re all good and happy now” and Midgar isn’t inhabited by humans any more (setting Advent Children to the side).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's still hope. Maybe everyone died after Advent Children.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They all died then they came back, only slightly different. Barret stopped loving the environment and became an oil baron.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really liked the game. I just hope we're done with ghost Cetra exposition because I felt that was always the weakest part of the rewrites.

[e] Unrelated story hot take -- the hard mode arena fights are very ridiculous and probably too hard.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 2, 2024

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I finished the game last night and I’ve felt sad all day. I liked almost everything about the ending, though I do think it was a little too much of a downer. Like a lot of people said, Tifa’s reaction was the emotional beat that really sold it, but the build up of foreshadowing, the fake out that maybe Aerith didn’t die, the goodbye at the end, and the song, all on top of Cloud going further and further off the deep end was just a little too much.

I do think Cloud deflecting the sword and somehow perceiving Aerith surviving isn’t just a delusion, though. As many have mentioned, that doesn’t fit the nature of Cloud’s other delusions, which are all based on reality and not completely made up. What’s more, it would be bizarre writing for the rest of the party to open a portal through a wall established by the arbiters of fate, seemingly allowing Cloud to go through and change destiny, then he only hallucinates doing so. The futility of trying to struggle against fate or greater forces is not one of the game’s themes, and what’s more, it would be uncharacteristically cruel of the writers to treat their character in that way, and I think it would clash harshly with the tone of the rest of the game.

My own guess about what happened, and I apologize if this is the consensus already established by some YouTuber : When the party opens a door for Cloud and he goes through the wall of whispers, he creates a new possible world, and in that world, he does actually save Aerith. During the events of the final fight, he’s still in that world, but the party, who didn’t pass through the portal, are in the original timeline where Cloud is too late and Aerith dies. So the two versions of events we see playing out are both real and are both happening at the same time. In all the fuckery of the final fight, Cloud gets shunted back to the original timeline, but keeps his (real) memory of saving Aerith. Creating a possible Aerith who lives will somehow have a big pay off in the third game. Even if she stays dead in the third game’s timeline, the live one will factor in somehow in thwarting Sephiroth. The Aerith who Cloud sees at the end is actually the dead Aerith’s ghost from the original timeline, but presumably who now has knowledge of other timelines as well (like Sephiroth, Aerith becomes a kind of meta-Aerith when she dies). Whether the Cloud in the end of the game actually belongs in that timeline is an open question (the scar in the sky and all that), but presumably that stuff will get sorted when he falls into the life stream in the next game. This squares the circle: Cloud is still royally hosed in the head because he isn’t able to process or accept that Aerith died, but he also has the very real memory of stopping her death.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Also, I loved the final level and the last fights. The temple of the ancients went on forever, but it was all really cool, and Cloud’s gradual breakdown was powerfully written and terrifying.

Jenova’s last phase was a little too intense (solid 5 minute stalemate where I spent all ATB on healing until I figured out how to get jn damage), and the rebirth Sephiroth fight was a little too easy, even if some parts dragged (solo Zack, the fight against the wings and core), but I loved the very last round and I’m really glad Aerith was there for it. That may also be because Aerith was so awesome mechanically, and slamming back to back finishing touches with Cloud, then absolutely blowing Sephiroth to bits in the final stagger window with a flurry of doubled spells from both characters felt amazing.

I’m going to really, really miss Aerith’s tool kit in the third game if they really don’t bring her back in some way at some point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jimbot posted:

They all died then they came back, only slightly different. Barret stopped loving the environment and became an oil baron.

Barret's thing kind of makes sense if you think of mako as a metaphor for nuclear instead of fossil fuels, but that also makes it really dumb.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

Barret's thing kind of makes sense if you think of mako as a metaphor for nuclear instead of fossil fuels, but that also makes it really dumb.

Instead of the soul of the earth he's harvesting the black blood of the earth.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s been brought up before in-thread, but regarding the debate over the nature of these alternate worlds…

1. Sephiroth mentioned multiple times he’s generating sorrow/hate/negative emotions.

2. Right after he kills Aerith, he says something to the effect of creating hope and then snatching it away produces the most intense negative emotions.

3. The fakeout with the sword deflect seems like a logical example of this.

I could definitely see Sephiroth’s endgame being producing a miasma of negative energy to overtake the Lifestream and prevent it from sabotaging his Meteor plans. And he has somehow broken a key mechanism of the Planet, making the Lifestream conjure up additional temporary worlds for souls to inhabit and subsequently harvest their suffering. Essentially making an eternal purgatory machine to help speed along the infection process.

Basically, he’s able to mess with Cloud in such a way to maximize his suffering for some thus far unknown reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Also, I loved the final level and the last fights. The temple of the ancients went on forever, but it was all really cool, and Cloud’s gradual breakdown was powerfully written and terrifying.

Cloud's breakdown throughout the game is maybe my favorite part of the writing and acting in this game, and that's saying something because there's a lot of competition. I involuntarily said "oh poo poo" out loud when Cloud followed Aerith's big emotional monologue at the Temple of the Ancients with "Are you finished?"

HD DAD posted:

I could definitely see Sephiroth’s endgame being producing a miasma of negative energy to overtake the Lifestream and prevent it from sabotaging his Meteor plans. And he has somehow broken a key mechanism of the Planet, making the Lifestream conjure up additional temporary worlds for souls to inhabit and subsequently harvest their suffering. Essentially making an eternal purgatory machine to help speed along the infection process.

Basically, he’s able to mess with Cloud in such a way to maximize his suffering for some thus far unknown reason.

Really it's outright explicit in the text that Sephiroth is actively trying to maximize Cloud's suffering. He even taunts him about it in Remake after the Sector 7 plate collapse.

I think the new Gi lore, about how they created the black materia by infusing all their despair into what sounds like a clear materia, probably ties into this, too. That, and Zack's role as a bringer of hope in the doomed timelines we see him in, which seems to go far enough that a few flowers started blooming in Aerith's garden again. It makes me suspect we're going to see the clear materia Cloud's still carrying around filled with hope or something like that to counteract the misery Sephiroth is spreading.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish I could find segmented videos of the ending because trying to scrub through a 21 hour cutscene compilation video lets you see the same stuff over and over again and it's the most heart-wrenching things too.

I did go back and watch the mourning scene. Them cutting out the water funeral is huge and very deliberate. It just cuts to everyone sitting down looking sad, except Cloud. His "Yup. Sounds good." is as casual as hearing Barret say "Alright gang! let's mosey! *scooby doo music*" Then he has one of his panic attacks but it's a pink color that isn't sickly, shows him standing behind Aerith, her falling over and the Holy materia bouncing away with a complete absence of Sephiroth. It looks like the sickly green color after the pink and you think it's another one of those but you realize they're in a room with mako floating everywhere - it's a green-rear end room. Then he starts to see Aerith. I'll stand my ground on this multiple timeline thing and this is his experience in that timeline breaking through and give you context as to why in the timeline she is saved she's laying on the ground, with her hair down.

I think at some point in the 3rd game they will show that scene and it'll be Tifa or Barret or Cid laying this Aerith to rest with Cloud not even there. He'll just walk up after the whole thing and just sit down, thinking everyone's taking a breath after that bananas fight they had with Sephiroth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Then he has one of his panic attacks but it's a pink color that isn't sickly, shows him standing behind Aerith, her falling over and the Holy materia bouncing away with a complete absence of Sephiroth.

One note, this is the same shot we see right after Sephiroth stabs Aerith, so he's there, just out of frame. I think it's just Cloud having a flash of what "really" happened in this timeline.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I think the new Gi lore, about how they created the black materia by infusing all their despair into what sounds like a clear materia, probably ties into this, too.

I agree here wholeheartedly. I think the Gi lore may be telegraphing the whole thing - Sephiroth is preventing souls from returning to the planet by trapping them in perpetual purgatory worlds, eventually turning them into despair batteries.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I know it’s been brought up before in-thread, but regarding the debate over the nature of these alternate worlds…

1. Sephiroth mentioned multiple times he’s generating sorrow/hate/negative emotions.

2. Right after he kills Aerith, he says something to the effect of creating hope and then snatching it away produces the most intense negative emotions.

3. The fakeout with the sword deflect seems like a logical example of this.

I also really don’t see Cloud thinking he deflected Sephiroth’s sword as just Sephiroth loving with him. I mean, it could be, but Sephiroth mostly lies to Cloud to negate Cloud’s self and his actual accomplishments. He tells Cloud he’s empty and a puppet and copy of Sephiroth with fake memories. But one of the main themes of the original game is that Cloud was actually exceptional; that he killed Sephiroth and fulfilled his promise to Tifa, and he did have the makings of a hero. His weakness was his self-doubt and in misidentifying what his real strengths are in the first place. It would be a big departure from the primary theme of the original game if the plot is Sephiroth is right when he says “Sorry Cloud, you thought you were good enough, but you’re not,” instead of Sephiroth lying to Cloud to make him think he’s not good enough when in fact he is.

Here’s another question about the end: Sephiroth is usually very dismissive of Cloud, but like at the end of the first game, he almost talks to him like an equal and says, “lend me your strength,” and so on. So is this the same Sephiroth? Which first person pronoun does he use in Japanese?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

HD DAD posted:

I agree here wholeheartedly. I think the Gi lore may be telegraphing the whole thing - Sephiroth is preventing souls from returning to the planet by trapping them in perpetual purgatory worlds, eventually turning them into despair batteries.

Gi Nattak was voiced by Bruce Thomas, but I keep thinking he's voiced by David Lodge.

But I'm a fool. If he were voiced by David Lodge, he wouldn't be unable to die.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Given the Confluence of Worlds cheevo that pops at the end, I'm definitely under the impression that Cloud saved Aerith, but then the OG timeline where he didn't save her smushed into that one and we now have Schrodinger's Aerith who is or isn't dead depending on who's looking at her

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's false. It was white as hell before.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sephiroth wants a universe where Stamp is his favorite kind of dog.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bobjr posted:

Dammit. I never thought of this. You cracked the code.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Stamp was Jenova all along.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhonne posted:

Stamp was Jenova all along.

♫ Je-no-va, Je-no-va♫

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bobjr posted:

He will not rest until he creates the Borzoi Stamp universe