Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mdemone posted:

Almost 14 million shares traded already today. Trump must have sold at last night's close.

He'd be rich again.

He can't sell for 6 months. It was all the people who jumped in hoping for quick cash selling as soon as they could. Anyone who bought it on opening day is going to be holding the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

Almost 14 million shares traded already today. Trump must have sold at last night's close.

He'd be rich again.

Trump is not allowed to sell for six months without obtaining board approval (which would involve a public document trail)

If he sold anyway, well, what's another court battle before the election

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

haveblue posted:

Trump is not allowed to sell for six months without obtaining board approval (which would involve a public document trail)

In a 6-3 decision, what even are securities and exchanges and commissions.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

haveblue posted:

Do we know that the board (which he controls) would have to publicly declare this?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mdemone posted:

He'd be rich again.

Did the board authorize him to sell already?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haveblue posted:

Even if all the board members are Trump fanboys and girls I'm sure at least one owner would move to block any attempt to let Trump sell early as them not doing their fiduciary duty to the stock holders generally.

Maybe the board could win in the end, who knows, but it would certainly tie up any such an attempt for long enough to make the Trump media merger still not a liquid source of funds for him directly (though he could still conceivably borrow and use those shares and collateral)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
*can* he sell without board permission, or is it just a federal crime to sell without such permission?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
How much longer does Trump have to post bond?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He can't sell for 6 months. It was all the people who jumped in hoping for quick cash selling as soon as they could. Anyone who bought it on opening day is going to be holding the bag.

All the people who were in on the Reddit IPO have sold for their tendies and got on the Trump train for the lulz. Or something like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lammasu posted:

Ten days as of 7 days ago, so nominally Thursday.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

All the people who were in on the Reddit IPO have sold for their tendies and got on the Trump train for the lulz. Or something like that.

If you, an investor, are on the trump train, the play is to hodl or buy if you can so the value is preserved until he can cash out. Sacrifice your own equity for the god-emperor. Anyone who sold immediately after the IPO and thus depressed the price is probably a lib

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

*can* he sell without board permission, or is it just a federal crime to sell without such permission?

My understanding is that he outright can't unless he gets the board in on it or somehow tricks the DTCC. Like if he tries to transfer the shares they'll basically go "uh, says here that these shares aren't allowed to change hands, do you have proof of permission?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lammasu posted:

I tried to figure this out last night and based on my reading of the NY state timing rules, either Thursday at 5pm or Thursday midnight if he can file electronically. Any number of things might alter that tho.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Price dropped 25% today. I hope he sells; it would kill the stock price.

Jesus III fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 1, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jesus III posted:

Price dropped 25% today. I hope he sells; it would kill the stick price.

For him to sell enough to make it worth while to him he's going to have to dump a massive amount at once, and that's going to cause the stock to drop like a ton of bricks.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Cimber posted:

For him to sell enough to make it worth while to him he's going to have to dump a massive amount at once, and that's going to cause the stock to drop like a ton of bricks.

Unless a GOP Governor gets one of their state pension funds to buy a bunch at above market price

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fart Amplifier posted:

Unless a GOP Governor gets one of their state pension funds to buy a bunch at above market price

I can't even cheer for something like that because it's poor working class stiffs who get screwed over.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

fool of sound posted:

My understanding is that he outright can't unless he gets the board in on it or somehow tricks the DTCC. Like if he tries to transfer the shares they'll basically go "uh, says here that these shares aren't allowed to change hands, do you have proof of permission?"

Yeah, the exchanges themselves will probably reject the order in the first place, but the DTCC would also hold if it somehow got through.

I wonder if they would hold the order even with board approval given the likelyhood that such approval would be stayed by the courts, I don’t know if they have that latitude but approving the sale would likely just end up with them in the middle of a huge mess if those shares need to be revoked.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Cimber posted:

I can't even cheer for something like that because it's poor working class stiffs who get screwed over.

At least it’s really dumb poor working class stiffs.

It’s a good time to remember that the value of a stock isn’t share price * shares owned. It’s the total buy orders for the number of shares you own. For normal amounts of stock people own that doesn’t make a difference, but when you own 60% of something it very much does. Thats before getting into the fact that as soon as he starts to sell it’s going to drop like a rock.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

*checks notes*

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Oh heck yeah post that. I love seeing family bibles, the older the better.

The bible is, I'd guess, around 120 years old (newest date I can find is 1900) and is beat to hell and back. I'd take more photos but it's a well-used copy.

Trump wants to sell a $60 bible? It better have colored pictures.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

At least it’s really dumb poor working class stiffs.
Not always. State capitals tend to be cities, and state governments tend to have a decent number of educated people who often vote Democrat. It would just be loving over public servants, and would not, in fact, be a good thing.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ynglaur posted:

Not always. State capitals tend to be cities, and state governments tend to have a decent number of educated people who often vote Democrat. It would just be loving over public servants, and would not, in fact, be a good thing.

I completely misread what was being quoted and thought we were talking about normal people buying the DJT stock. My bad.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Comstar posted:

He didn't give direct death threats against Congress, his Vice President or the cops defending it, but we all watched live how THAT went.

There is no difference and a normal human being would have been locked up by now.

So uh, the difference in the situations are pretty massive. And the 'normal person' in question did a lot more than just post a newspaper article and be mean against someone that he's allowed to be mean to. There was actual stalking and harassment involved. Even if he doesn't have people who would do it for him because he said mean things, the guy in question actually did those things himself, personally.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It's just tweets! This other one was totally different there was harassment! I scream as every single court the petulant mob boss goes to gets daily death threats and requires the fbi/us marshals to provide security.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

It's just tweets! This other one was totally different there was harassment! I scream as every single court the petulant mob boss goes to gets daily death threats and requires the fbi/us marshals to provide security.

That IS an important distinction. Tweeting about someone is different from calling their's home phone number and going "Wouldn't it suck if your kids were murdered by me?" One generally isn't a crime, and one very much is.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randalor posted:

The bible is, I'd guess, around 120 years old (newest date I can find is 1900) and is beat to hell and back. I'd take more photos but it's a well-used copy.

This is great. It is so well taken care of and really cool to look at. Thank you for sharing!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Also, even if the board would allow him to sell, that would trigger immediate lawsuits by public shareholders harmed by the inevitabledrop in share prices resulting from such a waiverfor Trump.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hearing how catastrophically bad Trump Media did in 2023 and how outrageously overvalued the Truth Social stock is makes it even more insulting honestly. Like real nothing matters poo poo right there. You can have mid sized honest businesses have year on year growth and the stock barely moves or you can be Donald Trump and have a meme stock and make billions while your company is actually tanking. Really great poo poo America....

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
You think that's bad, wait till you hear about how "is the economy good or bad?" polls have no anchoring in actual economic conditions!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TLM3101 posted:

I'm going to surface from lurking to point out that the above is my personal position; Those who have amassed wealth and the power that inevitably follows with it, or simply reached the lofty heights of influence and position where their decisions can impact the lives of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions of people should absolutely be held to a higher standard than your neighborhood grocer.

I'm not saying that Trump hasn't suffered any consequence at all - if nothing else E. Jean Carrol has held him to account to the tune of 90 million usd - but compared to those suffered by your average dude being done for speeding by the wrong cop or seeing the wrong judge? The consequences he's suffered thus far are, correctly, seen as minuscule. Whether right or wrong, the perception is that he's not being held to a higher standard, he's not being held to any standard.

What's that hoary old Marvel Comics adage? 'With great power, comes great responsibility'. When you are sufficiently rich (and adored by outright domestic terrorists) that you can destroy someone's life if you feel like it simply by social media comments, then yes, you need to be held to a higher standard of behavior than Joe Public. Don't forget, this is a guy who talked his way into an open insurrection that managed to get onto the floor of the Congressional chambers. It is absolutely not idle speech when he pulls a 'will no one rid me of this turbulent priest' with a judge or their family.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This is the first time I've ever heard of these weird combinations of family trees and bibles. In this an American thing or is it a specific religion or what? Do other countries do this?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is the first time I've ever heard of these weird combinations of family trees and bibles. In this an American thing or is it a specific religion or what? Do other countries do this?

One branch of my family is from extremely rural Newfoundland and they also have one, and the town church had a bigger, more complete record of births, deaths and marriages. When we were tracing genealogy out there, it was a guarantee we'd have to talk to churches if we wanted records more than about sixty years back.

IIRC it originates in poorer rural communities where nobody knew how to write much but the priest, or had much to write on, and government records were few and far between. It was more common a couple hundred years ago.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 1, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

This was extremely common back in the day, to the point bibles were printed with blank family trees ready to be filled in, either at the ends or directly in the middle. It was often the only book families owned and the only proof of identity in more far flung areas (courthouse fires and the like were depressingly common before modern construction regulations and resulted in a lot of record loss. I know my English Irish and German ancestors kept them for instance.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

What's that hoary old Marvel Comics adage? 'With great power, comes great responsibility'. When you are sufficiently rich (and adored by outright domestic terrorists) that you can destroy someone's life if you feel like it simply by social media comments, then yes, you need to be held to a higher standard of behavior than Joe Public. Don't forget, this is a guy who talked his way into an open insurrection that managed to get onto the floor of the Congressional chambers. It is absolutely not idle speech when he pulls a 'will no one rid me of this turbulent priest' with a judge or their family.

Yeah, I agree entirely.

Unfortunately, legally even a 'higher standard' is literally nothing here, because the normal standard is 'literally nothing'. That's why it took a non-rich guy calling in many direct threats and doing lots of doxxing and malicious poo poo to get "one charge of cyberstalking"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Oracle posted:

This was extremely common back in the day, to the point bibles were printed with blank family trees ready to be filled in, either at the ends or directly in the middle. It was often the only book families owned and the only proof of identity in more far flung areas (courthouse fires and the like were depressingly common before modern construction regulations and resulted in a lot of record loss. I know my English Irish and German ancestors kept them for instance.

Yep, really common in Catholic families. I've got my family Bible, and it's got info back to when my Dad's side emigrated from Germany in the 1800's.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Boris Galerkin posted:

Everything Oracle and Prism said, but also this source claims printing American bibles with additional pages for notes & records may have been an attempt to circumvent British laws on Bible printing
so that may have helped enshrine it as an American thing

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Oracle posted:

I took a tour of a plantation outside Charleston once and the guide loudly bemoaned how the perfidious Union soldiers had burned down the plantation's main house, which in the process destroyed the family bibles and the history contained within. "Can you imagine, not having any knowledge of your family history because someone else did something to take it from you?" he asked, as we passed by the slave quarters

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randalor posted:

see. id spend 60 bucks for that type of bible. the thing is the trump bible is just generic King james with like the constitution, declaration of indipendce and a song lyrics for some song. thats it. its scam and for dipshit chuds to virture signal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Xand_Man posted:

so that may have helped enshrine it as an American thing

It was a common English thing, I have one from my gg grandparents with dates starting 1857 that has extra sheets for it, printed by the British and Foreign Bible Society in 1886.