Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

good news is nobody who frequents this thread is actually at risk from the disease itself because it's a widdle baby in terms of infectiousness

keep on keepin' (your respirator) on

It is also the flu, which historically can only hang around at a very low level outside of winter. That r0 of 1.2 prevents it from doing covid's quarterly waves.

Maybe next year, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we probably have an H5N1 human vaccine just sitting on a shelf somewhere

biden's got this guys

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

my brother just tested positive for the fifth time

Since our son started daycare I've contracted an unbelievable number of respiratory ailments on an essentially weekly basis, but STILL NO COVID

Perfect immunity!!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

biden's got this guys

It’s old as poo poo and liable to not work when you need it.

But enough about the president.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

biden's got this guys

Also we've historically been able to wind up production quickly enough with a robust roll out to avoid excess death

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Only Trump can vax out of H5N1.

It’s like how only Nixon could go to China. He’ll be the harm reduction candidate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DickParasite posted:

Pre-covid the per-capita ethanol consumption was on the same trajectory so unsurprisingly the NYT is full of poo poo.

what the gently caress is this chart

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

a very badly formatted piece of poo poo haha my brain glossed right over this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why are the right scale and the line even on there? What do they add that you can’t just read off the stacked bars, without the distortion of starting the axis far from zero? :psyduck:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Quit worrying about H5N1. It'll be over by Easter.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Why are the right scale and the line even on there? What do they add that you can’t just read off the stacked bars, without the distortion of starting the axis far from zero? :psyduck:

don't forget the overlapping of the (not stacked actually) color bars lmao

two of them are just Longer so they let the lil guy stand in front! don't you like Equity??

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

silicone thrills posted:

I've harped on this a lot but I feel like alcohol advertising, especially hard liquor has really loving kicked up in the last 10 years. Like you can't watch anything on TV that involves adults and not see someone pouring a whiskey or taking shots.

On TV it really blew up in the early oughts. Sex In The City glamorized cosmos and Desperate Housewives normalized mommy wine culture. I can't prove it but it feels like those two shows normalized heavy consumption for women.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

don't forget the overlapping of the (not stacked actually) color bars lmao

two of them are just Longer so they let the lil guy stand in front! don't you like Equity??

That does make more sense than beer sales being low and declining to almost nothing.

But how are we supposed to know that the bars are not stacked? :psyduck:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zantie posted:

Oh yeah mine's totally genetic. Couldn't read the minutes on a clock in 3rd grade after one of my teachers had the whole class look. Apparently that age is really common for it to start showing up. Same for my parents and like 90% of all the family members I've ever known.

Spent the younger years of my childhood around California and had a wicked tan. We moved up to WA right before 3rd grade and there's no way 2 months of living in the PNW did that much damage.

mine hit in 3rd grade and i was a totally hyperactive child growing up in hawaii. completely genetic, has to do with the shape of my eyes vs my corneas or smth. when doctors repeat an old wives' tale, a lie becomes accepted as truth

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Shocked that alcohol consumption has increased in the times where everything sucks rear end, and also that advertisers would notice and make sure you're spiraling with their particular brand

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I've harped on this a lot but I feel like alcohol advertising, especially hard liquor has really loving kicked up in the last 10 years. Like you can't watch anything on TV that involves adults and not see someone pouring a whiskey or taking shots. Online, the advertising is everywhere. In person in grocery stores it’s everywhere. The liquor lobby and costco managed to get states to turn over state run liquor stores in WA so it’s easier to get and Im fairly sure this isnt the only state that has happened in.

Over the course of about eight years I saw the ballpark here remove a lot of the cool historical baseball exhibits and replace them all with bars so they could sell more spirits. In 2022 they got rid of an entire building in the outfield and replaced it with a bar.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Oh yeah, lots of fiber and no alcohol in our house either really. We consume a lot of edibles, but no more drinking straight poison.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Strep Vote posted:

Oh yeah, lots of fiber and no alcohol in our house either really. We consume a lot of edibles, but no more drinking straight poison.

:hai:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I had excellent eyesight until I was about 35. Being on a PC all day for work, then again after for gaming/youtube/SA and age probably contributed to the eventual need for glasses (though I still rarely wear them). I used to be farsighted, but think I'm near sighted now. My parents and brother all wore glasses much earlier on.

A question to the thread - is anyone still wiping down groceries? I am, but wouldn't be surprised if I was the last goon still doing it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stacked bar charts are loving trash, get that poo poo outta my face

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

no

sometimes i heat up the whole pizza box tho

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the comments on this thread make me think that overall we're living in the world we deserve, it just sucks for those of us who might choose a different way

https://twitter.com/mrbarnicoat/status/1774865312715849835

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Literally nobody in the us was locked in their house and we’ve had mandatory injections for over a hundred years. Ahhhghhhhhhhhhhh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

we’ve had mandatory injections for over a hundred years. Ahhhghhhhhhhhhhh

Technically no, because smallpox vaccines were historically not injected.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Kragger99 posted:

A question to the thread - is anyone still wiping down groceries? I am, but wouldn't be surprised if I was the last goon still doing it.

I still do, though since I only have to buy groceries for just me, it's not a big effort or time sink.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
more than anything the HPAI news and rotating cycle of denial/dismissal just makes me think of the trump clip video set to Peer Gynt

found it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=creay7X9XNU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Kragger99 posted:

We're still at it here.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

stacked bars PLUS another line that's also the sum of the bars, but that line is on a different scale overlaid on that same original scale... and PRINT

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I wipe stuff that's going in the fridge or freezer. Anything that can stay out I just let sit for a few days.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Kragger99 posted:

We're still doing it :colbert:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

more than anything the HPAI news and rotating cycle of denial/dismissal just makes me think of the trump clip video set to Peer Gynt

found it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=creay7X9XNU

i think the funniest clip in this is the jeb one because it's so specifically wrong

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I never did a wiping down groceries thing but I definitely got way more in the habit of actually washing my hands after doing poo poo like going shopping and putting things away.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

I never did a wiping down groceries thing but I definitely got way more in the habit of actually washing my hands after doing poo poo like going shopping and putting things away.

:same:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Cool, thanks for the replies on the groceries thing.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1774937675046260786

I'm just gonna assume it's every dairy farm infected if it's that far across the country.

Apr 7, 2003

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1774937675046260786

I'm just gonna assume it's every dairy farm infected if it's that far across the country.

Hope you like oat milk

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Hope you like oat milk

Gonna laugh when they blame cow/bird flu on the vegans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did they give up on covid booster btw

I don’t hear about them anymore

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

did they give up on covid booster btw

I don’t hear about them anymore

reformulation time is mmmm probably July?

we'll see what happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wonder how this will somehow be DEIs fault.