Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
are potions cheaper or pricier than chemo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

yeah the most likely outcome is that the government directly pays private healthcare providers to take over the potentially lucrative bits of the NHS like elective surgery, outpatient mental health and primary care, under the guise of reducing waiting times. they'll still be free at the point of use if you're poor, with correspondingly appalling waiting times, but with the option to pay to jump the queue or access nicer facilities (while remaining within the NHS) if you can afford it or have insurance. paying in this way will be framed as doing your duty to support the NHS.

the bits that the private sector doesn't want to touch like emergency medicine, public health and acute/inpatient mental health care will remain mostly state managed and become even more run down and dysfunctional as staff flee them for marginally better jobs in the (state-funded) private sector.

eventually, once private insurance is more normalised as something everyone except the very poor has, the state will move to subsidizing people buying insurance, giving another direct handout to the private sector. this will, of course, cost vastly more than the NHS ever did, but everyone will agree that the old model was simply unsustainable, and that this was the only sensible outcome.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Agent Truss has located tonight’s meal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kieth is filled with a murderous lust upon seeing that

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

what’s with the north korea levels of hagiography on charles that the BBC are putting out right now? its hilarious

Saw a trailer tonight for some vomit inducing documentary Channel 5 are rushing out about the "special bond between the king and his daughter in law" and seriously, wtf? I suppose they're trying to find a way to get him aboard the Kate sympathy bandwagon. Can't be easy managing the public image of an idiot toff with the charisma of a clogged latrine. Wonder if it'll highlight her naming her son after Chas's favourite paedo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pipski posted:

Saw a trailer tonight for some vomit inducing documentary Channel 5 are rushing out about the "special bond between the king and his daughter in law" and seriously, wtf? I suppose they're trying to find a way to get him aboard the Kate sympathy bandwagon. Can't be easy managing the public image of an idiot toff with the charisma of a clogged latrine. Wonder if it'll highlight her naming her son after Chas's favourite paedo.

those new crusader king murder plots get pretty complex

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Gato posted:

yeah the most likely outcome is that the government directly pays private healthcare providers to take over the potentially lucrative bits of the NHS like elective surgery, outpatient mental health and primary care, under the guise of reducing waiting times. they'll still be free at the point of use if you're poor, with correspondingly appalling waiting times, but with the option to pay to jump the queue or access nicer facilities (while remaining within the NHS) if you can afford it or have insurance. paying in this way will be framed as doing your duty to support the NHS.

the bits that the private sector doesn't want to touch like emergency medicine, public health and acute/inpatient mental health care will remain mostly state managed and become even more run down and dysfunctional as staff flee them for marginally better jobs in the (state-funded) private sector.

eventually, once private insurance is more normalised as something everyone except the very poor has, the state will move to subsidizing people buying insurance, giving another direct handout to the private sector. this will, of course, cost vastly more than the NHS ever did, but everyone will agree that the old model was simply unsustainable, and that this was the only sensible outcome.

Welcome to :australia:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its mostly gone under the radar but I googled it since the boots near me has closed and in the last 7 years 1000 pharmacies have closed because of lack of NHS funding. Very cool stuff

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/boots-close-more-stores-2024-300-locations-close-good-local-pharmacy-on-the-list/

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

boots is private equity so that was always going to happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its owned by walgreens now but same story i guess. Though that only accounts for 200 so far of the 1000

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Maybe because people are going to chemists and not pharmacies

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
well if it's free for the poor then that's fine because after a few years having to pay for all the things wrong with me, i'll definitely have no money

things are looking up

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Jose posted:

its mostly gone under the radar but I googled it since the boots near me has closed and in the last 7 years 1000 pharmacies have closed because of lack of NHS funding. Very cool stuff

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/boots-close-more-stores-2024-300-locations-close-good-local-pharmacy-on-the-list/

CHEMISTS

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
A dispensing chemist is a pharmacy

They're not calling them drugstores

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

As an analytical chemist by trade, Boots are chemists. I even knew someone who left my workplace to go work at Boots’ lab near Nottingham. So Boots the chemist shop has chemistry labs for their chemicals.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

https://streamable.com/7vni9h

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

He's right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

she's an incredibly hateful person

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51j64lk2l8o

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

it's spelled "chymistry"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
cumistry

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I call it cummitricks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so with a british person being murdered in israel now will either party leader actually do anything

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s going to be difficult but i think israel might make it through another atrocity unscathed

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jose posted:

so with a british person being murdered in israel now will either party leader actually do anything

Just one?

Time to remember the 7 9/11s of October 7 when half a dozen Brits died

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Jose posted:

Lol lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just like when the dug up that dead pope and put him on trial, Sir keir starmer would soooner drag the corpse of the brit up to the old bailey and force them to condem hamas

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

I dunno, were they a settler?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pop an extra poppy on the suit this year, jobs a goodun

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

tote up a bags posted:

Pop an extra poppy on the suit this year, jobs a goodun

*suit starts vibrating*

She cannae take no more poppies, cap'n! She's gonna blow!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not that I was expecting different

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1775065057350533435?t=oKhf6l9ojOPJgjq5qkinuQ&s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's becoming darkly funny how labour just can't say anything vaguely progressive, inspiring or dignified

i can't tell if their brains are all hosed or if they've just been told they're not allowed to say ANYTHING that might allow someone to figure out future policies

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When somebody tells you who they are, you should believe them.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Four in five Labour members back Keir Starmer, polling shows

check out one corker of an url https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/apr/01/four-in-five-labour-members-back-keir-starmer-showing-rout-of-the-corbynites

wonder if they changed the article title soon after it was published

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

When somebody tells you who they are, you should believe them.

Also they're pretty sure they're going to win so promising anything at all that actual normal people might want would just be a mistake that comes back to bite them when they're in office any somebody asks them why they haven't e.g. suspended arms sales to Israel yet.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's becoming darkly funny how labour just can't say anything vaguely progressive, inspiring or dignified

i can't tell if their brains are all hosed or if they've just been told they're not allowed to say ANYTHING that might allow someone to figure out future policies

There's obviously no actual plan from Starmer or for Starmer when he's in charge - he's a soulless managerial-minded state bureaucrat whose primary interest is ensuring the daily operation of the state isn't interrupted by concerns like popularity or outcomes, he just wants it to go smoothly and efficiently. Meanwhile the capitalists are happy for the UK to slowly collapse as they run their current investment portfolio down and get ready to swoop in to make the most of a failed state environment, they don't want big plans from Starmer. A Labour MP proposing internal changes are just as bad as public pressure forcing a change so no one in Labour is allowed to do anything pro-actively except take steps to reduce the possibility of change in the future. New prisons must be built because otherwise they'd have to review sentencing and legal structures, new arms deals are fine as long as it's within some legal perspective but HS2 can't be restarted and the fiscal rule must be maintained because changing it would be new.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

There's one near me I use a lot, and I got talking to the manager a month or two back.
And he is saying upper management is making some weird rear end decisions over the last year and that they have to follow them. and is making the store lose customers.
Now my Boots has a soda/health drink and crisp/health food just inside the front door. Not sure if this is the same layout in everyone.
They were first stopped getting certain drinks in, so they had a limited supply. So sales dived even further, then were told to get rid of the drinks freezer and install an umbrella rack.
Havent been back since they got rid of it, nothing to buy there.
Have 40 quid worth of points too.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

namesake posted:

There's obviously no actual plan from Starmer or for Starmer when he's in charge - he's a soulless managerial-minded state bureaucrat whose primary interest is ensuring the daily operation of the state isn't interrupted by concerns like popularity or outcomes, he just wants it to go smoothly and efficiently. Meanwhile the capitalists are happy for the UK to slowly collapse as they run their current investment portfolio down and get ready to swoop in to make the most of a failed state environment, they don't want big plans from Starmer. A Labour MP proposing internal changes are just as bad as public pressure forcing a change so no one in Labour is allowed to do anything pro-actively except take steps to reduce the possibility of change in the future. New prisons must be built because otherwise they'd have to review sentencing and legal structures, new arms deals are fine as long as it's within some legal perspective but HS2 can't be restarted and the fiscal rule must be maintained because changing it would be new.

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded. Centrism isn't change -- not even incremental change. It is *control*. Over yourself and the world. Exercise it. Look up at the sky, at the dark shapes of Coalition airships hanging there. Ask yourself: is there something sinister in moralism? And then answer: no. God is in his heaven. Everything is normal on Earth.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

In completely unrelated news: Labour membership falls by 23,000 over Gaza and green policies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

So it's right then, corbynites (antisemites) are being ROUTED

I hope the labour party sees some sort of comeuppance from this but I've no idea how that might happen