Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't really like any of the specializations, I never even bothered giving mine one because I kept fishing for woodland wordsmith but never found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Chirurgeon is handy for when you don't wanna dole out curatives to all the pawns. Just give the chirurgeon a bunch and then when you get hit with like, AoE poison, he just gives everyone their medicine and they're fine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

I don't really like any of the specializations, I never even bothered giving mine one because I kept fishing for woodland wordsmith but never found it.

I had to look up how to get it; you need to max out affinity with the lady who does the blacksmithing and she gives it to you. There may be other elven NPCs who will also give it to you but that's the one that worked for me. It's a bit arbitrary compared to some of the others which you can get just by doing quests. I was sure that doing Doireann's questline would get me woodland wordsmith but nope, gotta randomly give flowers to a shopkeeper until she teaches you elvish.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Chirurgeon is handy for when you don't wanna dole out curatives to all the pawns. Just give the chirurgeon a bunch and then when you get hit with like, AoE poison, he just gives everyone their medicine and they're fine.

Chirugeon also pairs nicely with a simple thief pawn, because between all the looting and stealing they're doing you'll never even really have to provide curatives for them, they'll keep themselves stocked up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

skill issue, simply hire mine

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Archer stomp is very fun. We knocked a big goblin down and the entire team ran over and kicked the poo poo out of it while the Thief held it down.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kild posted:

skill issue, simply hire mine
Instead I simply got an Elvish wife that could speak English

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Instead I simply got an Elvish wife that could speak English

Why did you do that to the dwarf??

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jedi is insanely fun but wow I wish there was something that occupied the space between "Utterly pitiful normal attacks that do pathetic damage" and "Uniminagbly OP specials/crits that will shred anything in seconds"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Data (untested):
- a pawn quest can give rewards to every player who completes it until the owner rests, so if you never rest again on that save, the quest is always available to everyone
- starting a new save does not wipe your old pawn from the server, so you can upload a pawn and still play normally on a different save

Proposal:
- get a low level public charity pawn onto the servers who gives a portcrystal as an easy quest reward
- the pawn is shaped like a portcrystal

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gamers Use Pawn Quest Glitch To Make FREE Portcrystals (Capcom DLC in Shambles)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Data (untested):
- a pawn quest can give rewards to every player who completes it until the owner rests, so if you never rest again on that save, the quest is always available to everyone
- starting a new save does not wipe your old pawn from the server, so you can upload a pawn and still play normally on a different save

Proposal:
- get a low level public charity pawn onto the servers who gives a portcrystal as an easy quest reward
- the pawn is shaped like a portcrystal

i like this kind of emergent gameplay

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Just beat the game. Post game was really neat.

136 in game days
67 hours
Level 58

Pretty cool ending if a little confusing. So the brine was kind of the main villain? No more brine, dragon, or arisen? Dragon's Dogma 3 will be about swashbuckling high seas adventures and swimming?

What a dope game.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have Pawn Opinions.

Archer pawns, unless you give them explosive arrows, are basically useless. When I play archer class it’s specifically to mess up harpies and bosses. I kept a rotating cast of archer pawns in my party for like 30 hours, even having my arisen and personal pawn as archers at the same time to lead by example. They are just never aggressive enough, they usually just hang back while keeping their bow drawn. They can’t reliably hit harpies and you’re lucky if they even use their abilities. I see them use spiral shot and torrent shots occasionally.

Unless you have them eauipped with the explosive arrows skill and supply them with ammo . They use that constantly. I’m assuming they also use the other debilitating arrows but why bother with those?

Or maybe I’m just unlucky and my archers are bad? Maybe they’re draining all their stamina with dire shot?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, in case anyone is curious, if you don't do the Readvent of Calamity quests, the later Havre Village quests end up with the racist mayor just kicking out poor Fyoran and the other Beastren.

I spent a while confused and wondering if I could have somehow done something different or if there would be a later quest, but it turns out I had made the key mistake a very long time ago.

RubberLuffy posted:

In NG+ went back to Melve to see the Spearhand event just for fun

Dragon attacked, I hit my Trickster Pawn buff and my Fighter/War/Thief team just go nuts on it. After a moment of them getting into position, my pawns did so much damage it went from like full life bars to 2 in like one sequence of attacks, and I think it skipped the trigger to fly away and escape, because it kept fighting and we killed it.

I should have gone into that fight as Magic Archer and straight-up killed it, but instead I was a (low-rank) Fighter with a fire-elemental weapon which intuitively seems like it's probably not the best for fighting Drakes.

Clocks posted:

i like logistician. the most they do is just make draughts/dried food/roberants that i would make myself anyway (if i cared, which i don't at this point). the only time i can see one being annoying is if you are doing the ripened quince quest but you can dump the pawn or any herbs first. not sure why they get so much hate lol

p. sure you can offer some endgame equipment as a reward, or a bunch of jewels which sell for more than 10k. there was someone on reddit giving out two of the 220 seeker token ring (the one that boosts your vocation gain).
but yes agreed, without an easy way to check the reward it takes more effort to find a decent quest, so it's easier to not bother i suppose.

It's not an issue anymore at all (since I have more consumables and materials than I'd ever need), but for a while it was annoying because the Green-something herb was the bottleneck and I didn't like the pawn wasting them on non-ripe fruits to make droughts instead of using them with dried fruit/meat/roe.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 2, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

I didn't know they were a thing lol

So far my pawn got hired once and all he said about it is that he never wants to see a golem again

He was level 3, what did the other player manage to get him to do

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have Pawn Opinions.

Archer pawns, unless you give them explosive arrows, are basically useless. When I play archer class it’s specifically to mess up harpies and bosses. I kept a rotating cast of archer pawns in my party for like 30 hours, even having my arisen and personal pawn as archers at the same time to lead by example. They are just never aggressive enough, they usually just hang back while keeping their bow drawn. They can’t reliably hit harpies and you’re lucky if they even use their abilities. I see them use spiral shot and torrent shots occasionally.

Unless you have them eauipped with the explosive arrows skill and supply them with ammo . They use that constantly. I’m assuming they also use the other debilitating arrows but why bother with those?

Or maybe I’m just unlucky and my archers are bad? Maybe they’re draining all their stamina with dire shot?

They seem pretty crap compared to other pawn vocations. If you want a ranged damage-dealer and don't mind not being able to see anything, take a Sorcerer with Maelstrom and Augural Flare. It'll put in 20x the work of an Archer.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I got the woodland wordsmith tome from a random elven NPC, I think if you just hand out flowers to everyone eventually you pick up the language

Is there nothing to do in the nameless village after the story quest takes you there?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fancy stats posted:

I got the woodland wordsmith tome from a random elven NPC, I think if you just hand out flowers to everyone eventually you pick up the language

Is there nothing to do in the nameless village after the story quest takes you there?

There's a thief mastery skill to pick up, but that's all I've seen.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

can only assume the reason pawns don't get overwritten when you make a new character (like they did in the original) is that it actually never occurred to the devs that anyone might want to start a new game

it's also going to completely flood the listing with pawns attached to inactive players and basically make it impossible to get your pawn hired so hope they fix that sometime

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
So I decided to do a fresh run with the goal of 0 to trickster as fast as possible with mods to make the game harder and massively reduce XP gain to keep levels from spiralling. What I've discovered is the way around the border is blocked off at the start. Forcing me to go back and do story to even be allowed to circumvent the border is a letdown

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

fancy stats posted:

I got it from the elvish innkeeper

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I only now realized that my pawn has so much higher max encumbrance because he's really tall/muscular, vs my short Arisen.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just beat the game with what I assume was the True ending unless there's some extra hidden stuff I missed. Imo this had much stronger opening and closing hours than DD1, but I really wish the mainline quests had more "go to this dungeon and do a thing" options. In general the side quests in this are far better than DD1, but very few of the main quests are as good as DD1. Combat in general is a big improvement over 1, but it took me some time to get acclimated to the weightier movement. Excited to do a NG+ run to try all the classes I skipped, but I might wait to see if they rebalance the difficulty in a patch. The core of the game - combat, exploration, and the pawn system - were almost entirely an improvement over DD1 and I can't wait for this game's version of BBI.

Also my pawn was fairly popular but never got the pawn disease so I need to look into that and why everyone was so upset over it.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 2, 2024

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

can only assume the reason pawns don't get overwritten when you make a new character (like they did in the original) is that it actually never occurred to the devs that anyone might want to start a new game

it's also going to completely flood the listing with pawns attached to inactive players and basically make it impossible to get your pawn hired so hope they fix that sometime

It's possible that the servers may already be set up in such a way that having a bunch of inactive pawns isn't actually a problem - this is total conjecture but a lot of games with similar sorts of asynchronous "multiplayer" elements tend to put weight based on how recent the data is. So if DD2 also works that way you'd be more likely to have the game spawn pawns from active players vs. people that haven't touched the game in years, and similarly those sorts of "orphaned" pawns wouldn't really end up clogging up the system much because they'd never get updated.

Related to starting a new game - does anyone know if starting a fresh new game (not NG+) with an active save will allow me to retain my character's visual customization, the way that NG+ does? I feel like the game would be more interesting to restart from scratch than in NG+ which doesn't really add much, but I also like the look of my character and want to keep them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Post game question How do you get the merchants to inhabit the seafloor shrine town? I evacuated Bakbattahl and Sacred Arbor but no one is there yet, do I have to use one of my precious rests?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I somehow missed Myrddin and his house in my first run but found him in NG+. He locked me out of his house so I jumped onto the balcony and went in through the second floor, but this really made him mad so he tried to kill me. I left the way I came and thought things were okay, but when I went by his front door again he came out and yelled at me then my Thief pawn jumped on him and stabbed him to death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have Pawn Opinions.

Archers are always good to me. They down harpies pretty much instantly, are really good at targeting large enemies weakpoints and just going ballistic on them from a safe distance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Massive artificial guys rule

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know they were a thing lol

So far my pawn got hired once and all he said about it is that he never wants to see a golem again

He was level 3, what did the other player manage to get him to do

Given the level + statement I would say what the other player got him to do was be smashed into paste.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The story is still slop but it makes a lot more sense when you look up the Japanese and realize that when Rothais says he ruled over the world he's actually saying he became the World-King ie the loving Seneschal and that him going ghost crazy and squatting over the old Everfall seal is probably doing a lot more damage to the whole setup than the story otherwise notes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

homeless snail posted:

I gave flowers to the hotel lady in the elven village and suddenly I got that scroll. Try that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

The story is still slop but it makes a lot more sense when you look up the Japanese and realize that when Rothais says he ruled over the world he's actually saying he became the World-King ie the loving Seneschal and that him going ghost crazy and squatting over the old Everfall seal is probably doing a lot more damage to the whole setup than the story otherwise notes.
I mean yeah, he's sitting on the Seneschal's throne from DD1 and pulls the godsbane out of his abdominal cavity

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-9tZVQk8U

saw this pop up earlier, this guy is crazy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lakbay posted:

Post game question How do you get the merchants to inhabit the seafloor shrine town? I evacuated Bakbattahl and Sacred Arbor but no one is there yet, do I have to use one of my precious rests?

I think so. You have like 7-8 so don't be too precious with them. Also don't forget you can use the godsway on yourself to commit suicide and then revive with a wakestone at full hp. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WAKESTONE IN YOUR INVENTORY or you will end your run in a hilarious fashion. And of course rent out new pawns to restore their max hp as well.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Someone gifted my pawn the final quest item that carries over to NG+ which I thought was amusing. I'm on NG+ so it doesn't matter but I wonder what would happen if you gifted it to someone just starting the game. My mage pawn seems to be summoned pretty regularly and they're lvl 74.

Also seeker tokens do not respawn as far as I can tell on NG+. I remembered where I picked up my first one before NG+ and when I went there in NG+ it wasn't there.

My favorite pawn moment so far is one telling me that he could take me to a quest using the best route, then proceeded to jump off a massive cliff and die. My other 2 pawns decided that was a good idea and did the same. Not wanting to be left out, I also jumped and wakestoned at the bottom. To be fair to the pawn, it was a massive time save.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Archers are always good to me. They down harpies pretty much instantly, are really good at targeting large enemies weakpoints and just going ballistic on them from a safe distance.

I feel like pawn inclination and/or equipped skills can make a big difference. I've had a radical difference in behavior between Thief pawns, where this one pawn just sucked hugely and got hit way more than any other Thief pawn I've had, and I imagine it has something to do with the way the AI was interacting with its equipped skills and inclination.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Also seeker tokens do not respawn as far as I can tell on NG+. I remembered where I picked up my first one before NG+ and when I went there in NG+ it wasn't there.

They don't and neither do the beetles (neither of which is particularly surprising).

You do end up getting a lot of ferrystones, though, since everything that previously gave those gives them again. I think I have over 20 of the things now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Trickster fashion sure is a whole thing, isn't it. I also wasn't expecting that the default role of the job is... tank? At least it sounds like all you start out with is ways to attract attention to you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that bugs me - why do most NPCs refer to you as Arisen? How would they even know? The official word is that the current Sovran is the Arisen.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that bugs me - why do most NPCs refer to you as Arisen? How would they even know? The official word is that the current Sovran is the Arisen.

Two reasons that I can think of.

You're pretty much always surrounded by pawns who would only follow the Arisen.

The Arisen only just appeared and the official story is they were badly wounded and needed to be kept in the castle until they recovered.
So most people probably don't know what the Sovran looks like, so they just assume you must be them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Nemo2342 posted:

If you try to follow the story progression it will take you quite a while before you get sent in that direction, since it's one of the last areas of the game.

That being said, I just went there on my own after looking it up and it's certainly doable at lower levels. I went in the high 20s but you could certainly go in lower if you're better at the game/more willing to run from fights.

got it, will have to do that then
thanks