Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you know that bit in Zone of Interest where the kids are playing in the water, and they find bits of a human skeleton, and the dad freaks out and drags them away

no doubt the people in charge of body disposal were seriously reprimanded, for their failure to keep the human remains out of what was supposed to be a pleasant spot to relax

we can't have things like that disrupting a nice space to blow off steam with like-minded people, now can we

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jakabite posted:

Mods, in the Italian politics thread on Something Awful, 1944: please keep discussion away from the ongoing conflict between the German and Jewish people as you’re making us look ba- I mean can’t ensure our incredible and awesome moderation that everyone likes is too difficult

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

These bans are indefensible. They need to be reversed and Koos needs to step down immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gauntanamo bae
Mar 11, 2024

Koos Group posted:

I believe I was very clear that the thread was closed because our lack of capacity to moderate it caused it to fall below D&D standards. I'd like to have it back up as soon as possible and I'm currently looking for an IK. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for one via PMs, though not in the thread, as I must again ask everyone not to interrupt debate and discussion to express discontentment with forum issues.

That part I probably wasn't clear enough about. The thread closure should not be dodged by discussing the topic in and of itself elsewhere, but insofar as it's relevant to another thread (such as effects the conflict has on other countries in the ME thread, or America's role in it here in USCE), that is still allowed. Tnega's post is fine, for example.

eat poo poo you clown

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Gripweed posted:

These bans are indefensible. They need to be reversed and Koos needs to step down immediately.

Seems fine to me.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Voting 1 to reflect the state of d&d moderation

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
Nothing worth saying

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Koos Group posted:

That part I probably wasn't clear enough about. The thread closure should not be dodged by discussing the topic in and of itself elsewhere, but insofar as it's relevant to another thread (such as effects the conflict has on other countries in the ME thread, or America's role in it here in USCE), that is still allowed. Tnega's post is fine, for example.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Israel just bombed an Iranian Consulate in Syria in a clear move to escalate the genocide into a regional conflict that would draw in the United States on their side, almost exactly at the same time as the Biden administration finalizes a deal to send them billions of dollars in more weapons. How do we discuss this in such a way that it doesn’t fall below “D&D standards”?

I get wanting to break the threads up by country or major situation, but a country as powerful as the US funding a genocide like this, like even if major regional conflict doesn't break out, the US not just allowing it for years but throwing a massive amount of money and resources towards making it happen brings the entire planet down. And there is no red line where the US will actually stop Israel from jailing, torturing, bombing, and executing as many Palestinian civilians as they want for as long as they want because we've had decades of propaganda telling us that Palestinians are subhuman like the orc hordes from Mordor or whatever generic fictional "bad guys that only exist so the heroes can kill them a lot" race you want to pick.

So I get why some posters are pretty pissed about how this is being handled, enough mod coverage or not, it's pretty easy to see how the way the US handles this can make someone's blood boil.

Regarding there being no red line, a several weeks ago in response to being asked about that the US was at the podium at the UN saying that we're absolutely not letting them invade Rafah, that absolutely won't happen.

But now it's just that the US is steadfast that Israel should not do this until they tell the US what its plan is to do it.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/politics/us-israel-rafah-virtual-meeting/index.html

And I hate this sort of excusing by the US because of course when Israel does this it's going to be another brutal massacre of civilians, more genocide, but hey they showed us a strategic plan to not hurt civilians before going in so those must have all been Hamas since that's what the IDF told us.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think the United States should stop supporting and facilitating genocide that is clearly being committed against Palestinians by Israel.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't actually know if home insurance is mandatory like auto insurance is, but hypothetically, if all the insurance companies were to collectively leave a state is everybody just poo poo out of luck then

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't actually know if home insurance is mandatory like auto insurance is, but hypothetically, if all the insurance companies were to collectively leave a state is everybody just poo poo out of luck then

It is if you want a mortgage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s not a legal requirement but it’s a practical requirement enforced by all parties involved in the easiest and smoothest routes to home ownership. Your bank will require it. Your HOA or co-op board will require it. Everyone who has any input on the process, even if they can’t block it, will strongly recommend it

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

In US-related news, a temporary 11-foot draft channel is open in the Port of Baltimore.

Biden to head there Friday to state at the wreckage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/04/01/baltimore-bridge-collapse-port-channel-opens/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

a temporary 11-foot draft channel

That’s going to be small boats and little river barge sized barges.

Really open for significant commercial vessel would be like 13+ meters depth. They might start squeezing panamaxes in and out between 10-11 m depth

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Related owners have filled for limited liability. If successful cargo damages and damages to the ship will be the limit of their liability. This will almost certainly be successful fwiw.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 2, 2024

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Gripweed posted:

While the closing of the I/P thread was cowardly and just saying that there aren’t enough mods to “keep the quality of discussion” is not an OK reason to ban the discussion of an ongoing genocide completely.

It’s a terrible thing that is happening and it’s good that people get upset. I think proving for the quoted posts, and the quoted post, is wrong. But those two bans are loving inexcusable

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Nucleic Acids posted:

Israel just bombed an Iranian Consulate in Syria in a clear move to escalate the genocide into a regional conflict that would draw in the United States on their side, almost exactly at the same time as the Biden administration finalizes a deal to send them billions of dollars in more weapons. How do we discuss this in such a way that it doesn’t fall below “D&D standards”?

The best way, as far as I can tell, is to... try our best? For example:

Kagrenak posted:

Israel isn't a US ally, they are a regional partner. It's a technicality if we're referring to the US' unabashed support of their genocidal campaign but in this specific case it's actually important. We have no mutual defense treaties with Israel and no formal obligation to become directly involved in any conflicts they may enter.

Not that I think there's zero chance we insert ourselves or that Iran retailiates directly against US military in the region, to be clear. Just that there're no formal obligations like there is under Article 5 with NATO or our mutual defense agreement with Japan.

According to the State Department Israel is a Major Non-NATO Ally, which uses the word Ally, but "does not entail any security commitments to the designated country." I can politely agree with Kagrenak's more strict definition of "Ally" is valid, while pointing out that the more common usage (as evidenced by the US State Department's usage) is also acceptable, especially given the context of concern about how US policy will address the consulate attack, given the targeted nation is a longstanding regional rival to the US.

Neo Rasa posted:

When the US assassinated Soleimani Iran reacted with several missile attacks on a base (bases?) in Iraq that were housing US troops, and they were on such high alert IIRC a civilian passenger plane was shot down also. This attack seems more severe than when the US killed Soleimani though so yeah I'd say it's worth discussing how Iran reacts to this.

This is actually an interesting comparison. Soleimani was assassinated "near the Baghdad International Airport", whereas the Iranian consulate airstrike was an attack on a diplomatic mission, something, that to the best of my knowledge has not been done explicitly by a state actor in the past decade. Usually such attacks are performed by protesters or armed militant groups. I do not personally know enough about the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations to say this was a violation, however.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Not necessarily. Even Florida had the sense to fund public homeowners' insurance that isn't really means tested, though probably not enough to cover the whole state.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baronash posted:

If you have opinions on the matter, feel free to message Koos. Or you can PM me and I'll relay it to the other mods. I assume emailing an admin or making a SAD thread are also venues for your opinions on D&D moderation, but this thread isn't.

I don’t have PMs so I just want to officially say that I think it’s bad that D&D has banned discussion of the Palestinian genocide.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

We know it's a lie that they can't keep up with the reports. The truth is that it's become increasingly impossible to deny or obfuscate about what Israel's doing, and this has become embarrassing for the pro-Israel crowd, who would now like everyone to shut up about all their debating over whether or not Israel blew up all those hospitals they said they were going to. They could simply ban the people clearly arguing in bad faith and copy-pasting IDF statements, but they won't, because various mods are sympathetic towards that.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Blarghalt posted:

We know it's a lie that they can't keep up with the reports. The truth is that it's become increasingly impossible to deny or obfuscate about what Israel's doing, and this has become embarrassing for the pro-Israel crowd, who would now like everyone to shut up about all their debating over whether or not Israel blew up all those hospitals they said they were going to. They could simply ban the people clearly arguing in bad faith and copy-pasting IDF statements, but they won't, because various mods are sympathetic towards that.

It's this. The I/P thread has been a poo poo show since Oct 7th. But it's only now the genocide is becoming indefensible that the thread was closed.
There definitely was a bias towards probing those who oppose the genocide versus those making excuses for it.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I disagree with the I/P thread being closed, but looking at all these threadshitters, it's pretty obvious why that decision was made.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Aztec Galactus posted:

I disagree with the I/P thread being closed, but looking at all these threadshitters, it's pretty obvious why that decision was made.

Any thread which permits I/P discussion will fill up with I/P discussion. It's too big and charged a topic not too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aztec Galactus posted:

With people claiming the mods are secret Zionists who can’t handle the scales being pulled from their eyes I can understand why nobody wants to risk getting goon death threats just so they can be IK

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Aztec Galactus posted:

I would say that, in fact, the only consistent threadshitters were the borderline hasbarists did everything they could to minimize Israeli crimes and American complicity.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They're probably not Zionists but the same bias that exists everywhere in the west (where IDF statements are reported as unassailable facts by all major news sources) that Israel must be the good guys and Palestinians must be terrorists who hate freedom and just want to jihad everyone undoubtedly was given the benefit of the doubt.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
In the event that anyone wandered into this thread unaware:

Baronash posted:

If you have opinions on [the I/P thread being closed for a while], feel free to message Koos. Or you can PM me and I'll relay it to the other mods. I assume emailing an admin or making a SAD thread are also venues for your opinions on D&D moderation, but this thread isn't.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's not actually possible to create a SAD thread and the mods have refused to do so. PMs are completely ignored and there appears to be no effort to resolve this issue other than clamping down on the people upset about censoring discussion of an ongoing genocide.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aztec Galactus posted:

I get the impression some people have confused the catharsis of screaming into the void with accomplishing something actually constructive. Not being able to post feels like a bigger deal than it is when posting is all a person can do.

OPAONI posted:

Any thread which permits I/P discussion will fill up with I/P discussion. It's too big and charged a topic not too.

I dunno, it's been fine with people posting about actual news, where the US does something new or different. Biden or whoever setting/continuing/announcing policy is directly a US current event in a way that Israel continuing to genocide isn't.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I get the impression some people have confused the catharsis of screaming into the void with accomplishing something actually constructive. Not being able to post feels like a bigger deal than it is when posting is all a person can do.

I dunno, it's been fine with people posting about actual news, where the US does something new or different. Biden or whoever setting/continuing/announcing policy is directly a US current event in a way that Israel continuing to genocide isn't.

the news is that, on the same day that Israel blew up an embassy as well as an aid organization, Biden is trying to figure out how to give them more weapons

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-794854

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/politics/biden-administration-f15-fighter-jets-israel/index.html

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 2, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

punishedkissinger posted:

It's not actually possible to create a SAD thread and the mods have refused to do so. PMs are completely ignored and there appears to be no effort to resolve this issue other than clamping down on the people upset about censoring discussion of an ongoing genocide.

"this isn't the thread to discuss it" is the new "now's not the time for politics"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Israel also killed an American aid worker yesterday in a triple-tap strike of a convoy that had complied with notification rules, which killed six other workers as well.

Now, 240 tons of aid on ships is turning around. So the famine goes on, and our president seeks to sell them more arms to continue the genocide.

Seems like for all the stories about the diplomatic requests for restraint don’t mean poo poo, you can kill our people knowing you’re murdering American civilians and we’ll sell you more arms to do it. Crying and Shooting? Hell, we’re gonna have a movie about Joe Biden Crying and Selling.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
as we all know, the something awful d&d subforum is the only place on the planet earth where such matters can, nay, must be discussed

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, yes. The golden rule of running a discussion and debate forum: "Don't discuss and/or debate here."

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

e: nvm u can make a SAD thread so I made a SAD thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057724

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 2, 2024

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

BonoMan posted:

"this isn't the thread to discuss it" is the new "now's not the time for politics"

I/P at this point in history is literally the fault of the US and the most pressing issue that needs to be resolved in US foreign policy so I can't understand for the life of me why it's banned in this thread.

All of these probations (and the ban) are going to poo poo up the conversation here worse than allowing I/P conversations when people can see why and seem to in large part disagree. Who are the mods modding for anyway, themselves? Israel? I sincerely don't get it. Of course there will be acidic, combative arguments about genocide in the debate subforum. What did you expect.

I also think it's more important that people rattle off about it here because it's a more visible place than trying to keep it discrete and hidden by asking people to go to mod DMs.

I been on these forms a long rear end time and this is the first time a mod rule has really and utterly kinda blown my mind. People WANT to discuss this and many people DEPEND on this site to get a flow of information and see the flow of discussion by folks who know more than them.

Like with the state of social media this dead gay site provides a valuable aggregation. The subject demands conversation. And the buck stops with the US. It is by all reasonable definitions a US thread conversation. Folks might say, something to debate and discuss.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Huh i wonder why its hard to find people to mod an active israel conflict thread. Who wouldn't want to put up with an incessant 24/7 fucktagon of insanity

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The October 7th attack interrupted this impending attempt for Saudi Arabia and Israel to normalize relations. And while many seem like that's out of the question now Biden is still going for it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/scoop-sullivan-to-meet-mbs-to-push-saudi-side-of-israel-mega-deal/ar-BB1kUcxm

A big part of this deal is the often mentioned two-state solution which, they'll never actually talk to a Palestinian person about any of this stuff of course but (anecdotal of course) every Palestinian person I've ever spoken to things that's been a pipe dream forever. It's just theater to make it sound like you care about Palestinian lives (by proposing this solution that will absolutely never happen) while simultaneously dismissing any possibility of doing anything to the status quo. Even when the UN votes to recognize Palestine as its own state, the US vetoes it every time no matter how good a deal it is for them. Hell a few years ago like mid-2020 I think the US and Israel (not the West Bank or anyone from Palestine) decided that from then on all goods made in the West Bank had to be labelled as "Product of Israel" instead. The US has always been at this forefront of doing as much as possible to dehumanize and dismiss the existence of Palestine and its people.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

as we all know, the something awful d&d subforum is the only place on the planet earth where such matters can, nay, must be discussed

Going by a lot of the posts I see here, I agree that is must be discussed.

And sure, it's not like any of this surprises me but the idea that the US fully supporting this genocide with both money and extensive weaponry along with the constant spread of dehumanization and disinformation about Palestine that the US government happily parrots from Israeli and IDF spokespeople isn't "US Politics" is absurd. Which topics are important enough to you personally that they're okay to discuss here?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I/P at this point in history is literally the fault of the US and the most pressing issue that needs to be resolved in US foreign policy so I can't understand for the life of me why it's banned in this thread.

You may have missed the part where that is explicitly allowed.

Koos Group posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neo Rasa posted:

The October 7th attack interrupted this impending attempt for Saudi Arabia and Israel to normalize relations. And while many seem like that's out of the question now Biden is still going for it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/scoop-sullivan-to-meet-mbs-to-push-saudi-side-of-israel-mega-deal/ar-BB1kUcxm
This is also extremely bad politics on Biden's part. Who were Trump's two biggest foreign buddies during his time in office? MBS and Bibi. They absolutely want him back in office, especially the Saudis. MBS has also repeatedly embarrassed Biden since he took office by refusing to meet with him on certain issues like oil production.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I/P at this point in history is literally the fault of the US

Not particularly, no.

US government assistance toward Israel only really reached significant levels after Israel was already clearly a dominant power in the region. Prior to that, Israel's backing mostly came from Western Europe, while the US took a relatively neutral approach in hopes of wooing the Arab countries into NATO. Most of the money and armaments that made the IDF into a powerful modernized military came from France and Germany. On top of that, Israel's nuclear weapons program was practically given to them by the French, though Britain chipped in to provide uranium and heavy water via Norway as an intermediary.

The US didn't really swing over to the pro-Israel side until after the Six-Day War, by which point Israel was unquestionably a major military power (and nuclear power) in the Middle East already and perfectly capable of holding its own without direct support from major powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

Not particularly, no.

US government assistance toward Israel only really reached significant levels after Israel was already clearly a dominant power in the region. Prior to that, Israel's backing mostly came from Western Europe, while the US took a relatively neutral approach in hopes of wooing the Arab countries into NATO. Most of the money and armaments that made the IDF into a powerful modernized military came from France and Germany. On top of that, Israel's nuclear weapons program was practically given to them by the French, though Britain chipped in to provide uranium and heavy water via Norway as an intermediary.

The US didn't really swing over to the pro-Israel side until after the Six-Day War, by which point Israel was unquestionably a major military power (and nuclear power) in the Middle East already and perfectly capable of holding its own without direct support from major powers.

Could you address the part where the OP said at this point in history and not up to the six day war?