Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
nvm

Asteroid Alert has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

coward

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

They bought a Putin av for someone. I forget who. Sorry about it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
very devious that putin

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Outside of the obvious reasons why it can be bad, I think av purchasing for other ppl is one of the best features on this site

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

whoever bought that one guy the i jack off to anime titties red text deserves a medal

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's definitely on the shortlist for most effective AV buys

sincx posted:

Which forum or forums your issue is related to (if any)

The "Other's Avatar" purchase process

A concise summary of your issue

I was just "gifted" an avatar that is not only harassing and degrading, but also untrue and lacks any basis.

There's no accountability for people who buy defamatory avatars, and no formal appeals process for getting them removed.

Honestly, this "avatar harassment" system feels like an immature and harmful relic of the Lowtax days, and has more than worn out its welcome. All it does is let people with a lot of disposable income haze other users without accountability or responsibility. This "dog eat dog" revenue generation system fit Lowtax's MO, but I think it's past time the forums moved on from that.

At the very least, I'd like this avatar removed/blanked. But I think an overhaul of the entire other's avatar purchase system is necessary. Make it so that only forum users in good standing can purchase avatars for others, and either (a). make it so avatar purchases for others are public, or (b). make it so that the recipient of an avatar have the option to blank out a gifted avatar. (Restoration of the previous avatar could still require payment, to keep some revenue going.)

Examples of the issue, if you have them

The harassing avatar I just received.

Any relevant conversations you may have had with forum moderators or admins

I thought there was a thread in QCS for requesting removal of harassing avatars, but I don't see any.

Koos Group posted:

You claim this avatar is defamatory. Since the site falls under US jurisdiction, the burden of proof for defamation, including intent, is on the plaintiff. This means you must prove not only that you don't furiously masturbate to anime titties, but also that the person who purchased the avatar had no reason to believe that you do.

sincx posted:

Accusing someone of " furiously masturbating to anime titties " without evidence or basis in most boards would be grounds for a probation. Why should it be allowed an avatar attack form?

I still think that:

"this "avatar harassment" system feels like an immature and harmful relic of the Lowtax days, and has more than worn out its welcome. All it does is let people with a lot of disposable income haze other users without accountability or responsibility. This "dog eat dog" revenue generation system fit Lowtax's MO, but I think it's past time the forums moved on from that.

What positives is it bringing to the forums, beyond some marginal revenue? Is that revenue worth the harassment and degradation?

Then I would need to file a civil suit against DOES 1-10, and serve a subpoena on Jeffrey of YOSPOS asking for the records regarding the avatar purchase, to figure out who actually purchased the avatar. I think no one wants that to happen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pentyne posted:

Legend says he's still masturbating furiously to anime titties to this very day.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

pentyne posted:

Someone call Leonard “J.” Crabs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

actually, many people would have very much liked to see him attempt to subpoena jeffrey to see who bought him the avata

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Didn't someone buy him the same av with "masturbating calmly to anime titties" as a follow-up?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HopperUK posted:

Arf posting, in the speedrunning thread, totally normal posts and appending 'but I'm not going to watch it' on one single evening caused more reports than there were posts of his to report. People were PMing in extra reports.

how do people get like this

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Arf posting, in the speedrunning thread, totally normal posts and appending 'but I'm not going to watch it' on one single evening caused more reports than there were posts of his to report. People were PMing in extra reports.

I hope you politely thanked people for submitting the report, but that you're not going to watch the thread

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

pentyne posted:

lmfao I forgot about the subpoena ending, truly a masterpieces meltdown

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Smirking_Serpent posted:

remembering/doxing is fine if it’s funny

yep. besides goons never change

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Outside of the obvious reasons why it can be bad, I think av purchasing for other ppl is one of the best features on this site

I honestly think the haters were right all along and super hosed up/harassment AV buys aren't that common outside of convoluted false flag schemes.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycot posted:

I honestly think the haters were right all along and super hosed up/harassment AV buys aren't that common outside of convoluted false flag schemes.

well I mean I did have a gun range target reticle as an av for a bit during the Troubles, but otherwise agree

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there is no downside to traceable avatars either someone is crazy enough to spend 10 dollars to threaten someones life or someone is dumb enough to spend ten dollars to buy themselves death threats either way... it would be funny

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

whoever bought me that is still welcome to take the shot btw, I didn't mean for that to come across as if it was intimidating to me at all

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HopperUK posted:

it was a good bit

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the only real downside to traceable avs would be the mods being party-poopers and being more willing to give away who bought what avatar, but it's not a very big downside at all and also they already are lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Oh yeah there's no reason to not at least have the ability. But perhaps it was not as much of an epidemic as it seemed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i liked the time someone bought me an anime avatar with gigantic titties to own me

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Excuse the self quoting but

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The mods didn't like being held accountable for their actions and since FYAD were the loudest about bad mod actions they found their way to completely remove the "problem posters" while hiding behind the thinnest veneer of "forum safety".

Were the forums made safer when someone bought me this av?

This was around the time somebody was banned for making pipebombs in cspam btw.

Are the forums safe from Punching Down, when the LOL at Chinese/Fat/Ugly People megathreads still exist, unharmed & unmentioned?

It was never about "safety".

sheesh who is that guy lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i liked the time someone bought me an anime avatar with gigantic titties to own me

I sure hope nobody tries to own me with gigantic anime titties, that would be the worst

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Excuse the self quoting but

sheesh who is that guy lol

:stare: but lol at opening it with stupid loving bitch for some reason

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah the only real downside to traceable avs would be the mods being party-poopers and being more willing to give away who bought what avatar, but it's not a very big downside at all and also they already are lol

they are traceable now, you have to be logged into to buy one but the only person with access to that information is Jeff and he pretty much refuses to reveal that for anything short of an irl crime, like actual hate speech or doxxing not "lol you suck"

enough mods have died on the cross of trying to change AVs of their posting buddies and in some cases even editing out other people's posts to never trust them with that kind of information.

cinci zoo sniper in his grand farewell bragged about 'counter whaling' AV buys for the Ukraine threads because he knew if he kept trying to put through AV changes via the mod tools everyone would see what he was doing and make him stop.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i wasn't reading sa much when all the troubles poo poo went down. i saw the vice article and bnr pop up and i've seen people talk about the troubles and koala's march but idk much of what actually went down - who were people so mad at and why?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

:stare: but lol at opening it with stupid loving bitch for some reason

lol yeah

I think ppl just assumed I was a girl due to my previous avs, when anyone with a brain would recognize I have a fairly 50/50 split amongst my avs historically

They're just characters I liked/identified with, it's not that deep

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pentyne posted:

they are traceable now, you have to be logged into to buy one but the only person with access to that information is Jeff and he pretty much refuses to reveal that for anything short of an irl crime, like actual hate speech or doxxing not "lol you suck"

enough mods have died on the cross of trying to change AVs of their posting buddies and in some cases even editing out other people's posts to never trust them with that kind of information.

cinci zoo sniper in his grand farewell bragged about 'counter whaling' AV buys for the Ukraine threads because he knew if he kept trying to put through AV changes via the mod tools everyone would see what he was doing and make him stop.

oh tight

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Love how all those posters were just casually misogynist against their enemies

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

well I mean I am a stupid bitch but that's besides the point

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

whoever bought me that is still welcome to take the shot btw, I didn't mean for that to come across as if it was intimidating to me at all

and another thing, don't print that I was mad. I didn't mean for that to come across that I was mad

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

i wasn't reading sa much when all the troubles poo poo went down. i saw the vice article and bnr pop up and i've seen people talk about the troubles and koala's march but idk much of what actually went down - who were people so mad at and why?

[sits down in old dusty armchair and opens tome thicker than it is tall] well,

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the vice article still being up sucks real bad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

all you need to know is that lowtax closed FYAD and then when he was getting torn apart after he was outed as an abuser he reopened FYAD and tried to pretend nothing happened while FYAD roasted and threatened to bodyslam him repeatedly and he closed it again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there was a "legitimate" Forums Coup going for a minute lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

the vice article still being up sucks real bad
Don't worry. Vice itself probably won't be up much longer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

all you need to know is that lowtax closed FYAD and then when he was getting torn apart after he was outed as an abuser he reopened FYAD and tried to pretend nothing happened while FYAD roasted and threatened to bodyslam him repeatedly and he closed it again

Anyone got the image of someone who had a Donkey Kong avatar and they said "I'm coming for you bitch" when Lowtax posted this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

there was a "legitimate" Forums Coup going for a minute lol

it was a wild time